By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Jones & Shipman 540P coolant tray/ gutter
28/09/2019 19:26:38

Try Andmar services Nuneaton for spares. 02476 375442

David

Thread: Inverter Voltages
27/09/2019 22:12:11

Hi you can try Drives Direct Kirkby in Ashfield www.drivesdirect.co.uk down from Kirkby cross towards Pinxton.

David

Thread: Total Beginner
26/09/2019 14:03:17

Hi Ian welcome to the forum. Where are you based as it helps people to suggest local supliers etc. There are many bikers on the forum and they may be able to help with projects. The size of lathe depends on what parts you want to turn ie if you want to turn a fork leg would need a larger lathe with s spindle that would pass the diamiter down the centre. There are many supliers so have a good look around and always have a look at second hand as well.

David

Thread: Shell Petrol Can Puzzle
23/09/2019 06:29:35

I remember buying 2 stroke oil separately, as it was cheaper, then putting in measured amount in to tank before filling with a gallon of petrol, about 1s- 10p a gallon. Filling my James scooter.

David

Thread: If I were coming here I wouldn't have started there... (possibly)
23/09/2019 06:19:48

I have angle piece plates which you can put in the vice which set's the angle by pushing the the V block up to. IE 15 - 20 - 30 - 45 degrees it makes such jobs a bit more simple.

David

Thread: Metal stock
23/09/2019 06:10:04

Small pieces go in a small container eg brass and silver steel but bars etc are marked with a white paint marker on end and along length for me.

David

Thread: WIDE AWAKE
21/09/2019 10:00:14

Hi Dougie what is WIDE AWAKE there us no information on the post to give us a clue?

David

Thread: dovetail cutter
21/09/2019 07:28:33

Nice cutter it looks a useful edition to toolbox.

David

Thread: Thread form for Atlas 1 1/2" X 8 lathe spindle.
20/09/2019 20:18:31

I believe that the thread is 55 deg Whitworth form but if you find that the thread is 60 deg just grind one in HSS as cast iron cuts better with HSS than carbide and you could save yourself the price of new tooling.

David

Thread: Hello
20/09/2019 07:49:46

Line the inside with a vapour barrier and insulate. It will save loads of money in the long run in heating and trying to avoid damp and rust.

David

19/09/2019 07:01:27

Hi John welcome to the forum. There are many helpful members on here and you may be helpful to others but it helps so I if you give a locality were you are to suggest local supliers etc. Have you any pictures of past projects I am always on the look out for things to make.

David

Thread: Machining a chuck backplate
17/09/2019 08:12:26

If I was making an ER collet chuck to fit on to my lathe I wouldn't have a register as that would be a set back to getting the collet set to run true. I would have a a flat flange with at least 6 screws radially and be able to put a standard bar in the collet and clock the bar true then tighten the screws to stop the set moving. There is little chance of the collet set moving and if you have a major bang you can always recover by resetting the set. The register on a large diamiter chuck has at times more side load as when you have intermittent cutting but on a collet set the face friction is plenty to hold a collet chuck.

David

Thread: Meddings Drill - Help Finding Grommets or Glands
17/09/2019 07:43:20

Hi and welcome to the forum. It helps to say roughly where you are based as suggesting some things are more useful to someone from Australia is different to someone from Newcastle uk, and if you were somewhere near to where I live you could have a gland or grommet from my collection as a retired electrical engineer.

David

Thread: EN40 nitrided repair
16/09/2019 21:29:09

I had forgotten about ABR welding they were the welders we used after local welder retired and are very good. Explain the job and they can weld it.

David

Thread: Thread Size Help
15/09/2019 22:32:01

8BA could be ok 0.086 " diamiter. (2.18mm)

David

Thread: EN40 nitrided repair
15/09/2019 19:23:40

Hi Ian when we had worn through the hard layer on cams we repaired them with stellite tig welded and if any of the original profile was intact you could grind down the proud weld to match. You will have to use a good welder with previous experience. The man we used retired a few years ago.

David

Thread: Black Bar
14/09/2019 16:31:39

I have EN 40B black bar and EN 32 black bar so beware what you buy and suplier.

David

Thread: Picador Grinding Wheel Flanges
14/09/2019 16:26:26

The last time I repaired a bench grinder I made a steel flange abiut 8mm thick and run true, which was a tap on fit to the shaft with a recess that clamped the wheel on the paper washer and a slightly looser washer the same diamiter to clamp the wheel.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/09/2019 16:26:57

Thread: Hints and tips for cutting small(ish) male threads with a die
14/09/2019 09:06:55

Hi again Stuart. To make the centre screw, just grind or turn a point on the grub screw it is about 30 degrees and you should see the gap open when screwed in.

Best wishes

Thread: V-block
14/09/2019 07:14:48

Very good usefull to have a long V block. 

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/09/2019 07:16:20

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest