By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My version of Potty Mill engine
11/04/2021 22:12:50

Hi Jim the box is an exhaust with the outlet on the end. I have drilled the exhaust outlets on the top and cross drilled to end.

Not tried it out yet and have some finishing to do on edges and corners as well as lube bits and pieces then clean up the flywheel casting. I probably will paint it red.

David

11/04/2021 20:13:29

Just finnished the valve section and eccentric and done a first assembly. I have changed a few bits to my liking to give it a bit more strength.

20210307_181952.jpg

20210319_164911.jpg

20210411_184312.jpg

20210411_184326.jpg

David

Thread: Bandsaw - wood and metal ?
11/04/2021 11:49:38

Hi Gerry I think you would be much better of with a horizontal type band saw than a vertical saw. You can get a horizontal saw which can be configured to be used as a vertical saw and that gives you options. If you were to try and cut a 5 inch diamiter bar on a vertical saw it would be challenging but thin plate is better on a vertical saw. I have a small horizontal saw from Chester machine tools and a vertical saw from Machine Mart and I use the horizontal saw most of the time but the vertical saw is used to cut wood, plastics, and non-ferrous metals and eavan with the correct blade is useless for steel etc.

David

Thread: How do I remove this small bearing? And the one behind it.
09/04/2021 08:48:01

Hi pgrbff what is the casting part off and is the hole blind or is there a through hole from the back. A couple of diferent angle pictures may help.

David

Thread: Anti seize grease on Myford spindle nose?
07/04/2021 08:02:38

When I go to have a service on my caravan there is a specified torque which is checked with a torque wrench to show that the nuts are correctly tightened whilst I watch. The data in the spec for these bolts are dry not lubricated. When I replace my chuck on to the nose of my M Type Drummond/ Myford lathe I give it a wipe with a slightly oily cloth.

David

Thread: Recommended suppliers and services
07/04/2021 07:52:49

A few places to get services and tooling.

Firstly JB cutting tools ( Jenny) http://www.jbcuttingtools.com for turning and milling tools.

Secondly, bed regrinding and repairs etc Unislide grinding http://www.unislidegrinding.co.uk/lathes/

Thirdly, Tuffsaws for band saw blades for any saw or made to measure. https://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/.

Fourthly, Rotagrip http://www.rotagriponline.com for chucks jaws and other tooling is a great resource for information as well.

Another place for screws bolts threads etc is Spalding fasteners metric, imperial small and large sizes. https://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/about-us/

David

Thread: Milling Vice Location
05/04/2021 23:00:41

Hi I always put my vice to one end of the table. I swap it around and use either end and leave space for my rotary table or angle plate. I used to machine Bridgeport beds for Bridgeport and as the way that they were roughed out aged and then finnished they never bend.

David

Thread: strange 240v pump 'switching'
04/04/2021 12:04:35

It sounds like there is some corrosion or resistance to spinning and that is causing a thermal switch in the motor body to cut out. Look at the spindles and bearings and for any foreign body's behind the pump blades etc. As it cools down the motor will start again till it overheats and trip out etc.

David

Thread: Steel type(s) used in mnfr of Hydraulic Cylinder shafts
01/04/2021 08:02:57

I used to make piston rods for mining roof supports and the ones we made used 80M46 Carbon Steel a medium carbon steel which was machinable, ground nice for pre chroming.

David

Thread: Think you have trouble losing your chuck key?
31/03/2021 19:27:18

Here's my 4 jaw chuck not quite as hard as a self centering 3 jaw.20170907_114623.jpg

20170907_085735.jpg

David

Thread: Buffing and Polishing
30/03/2021 12:11:57

Hi Alan I set up a small polishing machine made from a small grinder from Lidl. The mops I use are from Cromwell tools as a kit . It includes three diferent grades of buffing compound and three mops for each grade. When polishing it depends on what you are polishing and the detail etc. It is a very dusty and dirty so you should be prepared for dust extraction, goggles and catching escapee parts. I quite often Finnish with Solvol Autosol metal polish to Finnish with as well. The Lidl grinder is just big enough for me for the small parts and cutlery that I polish. I had to make a new pair of wheel washers to allow them to grip the mop correctly.20190803_081636.jpg

David

Thread: Component Suppliers - Recommendations?
30/03/2021 11:55:30

Try www.component-shop.co.uk you can phone them as well 01248719353 north Wales.

David

Thread: Myford dividing kit
29/03/2021 07:24:30

Have you looked on here http://www.myford-lathes.com/accessories6.html don't know anything about them but they don't look cheap.

David

Thread: Replacement Chuck for Hobbymat MD65
28/03/2021 07:49:58

Hi Keith is the original chuck mounted by studs screwed into the body of the chuck or has it a back plate which is screwed onto the back of the chuck with the studs in that plate. If the Chuck has a back plate you should be able to buy one from most places but check the sizes off location diamiter etc. If the chuck has studs screwed into the body of the chuck you will have to make a back adaptor plate to allow it to mount a new chuck unless you can buy a second hand original chuck.

David

Thread: Steel Rule Graduations Re-Blacking
26/03/2021 22:12:33

I used to fill lettering etc on labels for tooling pre engraved I used paint sticks from RS components. Paint over engraving let to dry and clean off with a solvent damped cloth. I had red black and yellow. Edding Black 10mm Broad Tip Paint Marker Pen for use with Metal

David

Edited By David George 1 on 26/03/2021 22:21:30

Thread: Chester mill spares amazing
24/03/2021 06:46:28

Hi Peter just found your question and it looks like you have all the questions answered already. The head on my mill is just held on by two bolts and a nut, make sure the T bolt is not lost. On the table I would unscrew the end plate, two screws, with the handwheel and wind out the leadscrew before sliding out the bed, you are less likely to damage the leadscrew. You may have to slacken the gib strips if the table dosn't slide out. Take boxes and plastic bags for screws etc and label where they came from. Take a set of combination spanners. Socket set and Allen keys as well as a set of flat and cross head screwdrivers. Hope the M Type is working ok my lathe is turning out pieces ok. Take a picture before dismantling or removing wires is always a good idea.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 24/03/2021 07:07:31

Thread: Tea Spoons
23/03/2021 12:48:57

I had a similar problem with spoons but they had been cleaned with a scouring pad to remove staining. Do I had a great idea when I saw a small bench grinder in Aldy with the guards removed and a polishing mop from Cromwell tools it pleased SWMBO and they looked like new.

20190803_081636.jpg

20190805_181633.jpg

Note the before and after.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 23/03/2021 13:00:31

Thread: Cleaning up BSW threads
21/03/2021 08:17:48

Hi pgrbff In you case you would mostly use plug taps to clean out threads in holes and nuts and I would have thought standard type and second hand would work in most cases. The only place where you would have to use a first taper tap is if the hole needs plugging and 're tapping from solid.

David

Thread: 3-Jaw Chuck not running true - how to fix
21/03/2021 08:02:46

I bought a 4 jaw self centering chuck with jaws that were mixed up and didnt match the body but we're numbered 1 to 4 with diferent set numbers. It was cheap at the Doncaster show. I mounted it up on a new back plate and with a test piece there was about 0.65 mm run out and needed grinding. I made a set of holders for the jaws, a four hole cloverleaf plate for the inside grinding and a set of rings for the outside faces. After grinding the run out was less than 0.02 mm. You have to load the jaws in the direction of his they are used and direction of clamped.

20190607_215704.jpg

I borrowed a toolpost grinder from a friend and ground both inside and outside faces on the jaws.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 21/03/2021 08:05:10

Thread: 12V Motor for a Top Slide Drilling Attachment
19/03/2021 08:14:24

This is the toolpost spindle I made for my M Type Myford lathe.

20191016_162130.jpg

20191016_162154.jpg

It has a 12 volt DC motor and a combined power supply with speed controler.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest