By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello
08/04/2020 08:22:17

Hi Tom welcome to the forum. Where are you based as it helps to suggest local supliers etc. I make tooling and whatever takes my fancy. I have recently made some jewelry bangles, (with my granddaughter) a simple wobbler steam engine, a drill/grinder attachment for the toolpost on the lathe and other bits and pieces.

David

Thread: Myford Super 7 Lead Screw Not Turning
08/04/2020 07:55:46

Have s look at the Myford web site as it gives an exploded drawing as well as a parts list. Looking at it there is a taper pin on the drive shaft which could be the weakest link. Can you try and rotate the input shaft with the drive gear disconnected to see where the disconect could be.

David

Thread: New member from Sherborne Dorset
08/04/2020 07:39:33

Hi Tiger welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are getting a nice workshop together and any knowledge shared is great. What are you interested in making on on your tools or are you a tools person.

David

Thread: Which suppliers are open for business?
08/04/2020 07:10:28

I had a delivery from M machine metals the middle of last week.

David

Thread: Wolf NW5 5/8 Any use for Parts
07/04/2020 07:32:04

Looks like no one needs spares but thanks for offering.

David

Thread: Coronavirus
07/04/2020 07:29:36

Just had an email from a local supplier of canvas good and services and they can supply have masks just thought someone may find it useful. I have just ordered some for a residential home where mothering law is as they are struggling to get supplies.

https://www.flexippe.com/product/flexippe-face-shield-visor/

David

Thread: Hello from Rugby!
07/04/2020 06:58:24

Hi Oliver welcome to the forum. There are many members interested in like projects on here so ask away but it is worth visiting local clubs as there is a wealth of information there and they may have machinery that helps with the build. They are usually friendly groups but you have to ask if you want help.

David

Thread: Homemade Lathe Tools
05/04/2020 21:53:11

Hi Jeremy Here are a few bit i made and are useful.

small angle plate.jpg

Small angle plate approx 2" x 2" 1" with a 1/2" step with a few useful holes.

boring bars.jpg

Silver steel body cross drilled to suit HSS diamiter with grub screw to hold tool bit.

sine bar 1.jpg

Small sine bar there is a article in magazine on how to make it.

angle plate.jpg

Angle plate made from a bought cast iron angle plate with lots of useful taped holes etc

small jack screws.jpg

Small jack screws for adjustable clamping.

20200405_210820.jpg

Centers for chuck for tapping or centering. Silver steel hardened and tempered. 

David

Edited By David George 1 on 05/04/2020 21:56:54

Thread: New member in Cumbria
05/04/2020 07:05:14

Hi Keith welcome to the forum. There are plenty of helpful members on here just ask. What interests you and what are you likely to make. If you need to post pictures etc you have to create an album and there is information on how to in the forum tab in the top of the page then FAQ web site tab.

David

Thread: How to make a silver steel axle
04/04/2020 19:13:32

I have just finnished the same engine yesterday. I used phosphor bronze for the bush and silver steel shaft, no problem. I think you have the wrong brass?  I got my bronze from M machine  metals.

20200403_112701_001.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 04/04/2020 19:17:42

Thread: Some help needed with my build
04/04/2020 08:14:02

Hi Terry can you put some pictures on as it helps to see what the problem is.

David

Thread: New member
04/04/2020 08:10:13

Hi Sam welcome to the forum. Where are you based as it helps with local supliers and help. There are plenty of Boxford owners on here who can give advice. Safety DONT LEAVE THE CHUCK KEY IN THE CHUCK and Wear safety glasses. Good luck

David

Thread: Beng's Laura Stirling engine
04/04/2020 07:57:34

Hi welcome to the forum. where are you based, it helps with local supliers and help. This engine has been done on here and it can help with your prodject. At the top of the page, in the search box put Stirling engine Laura it shouldgive you a lot of information on machining and other tips.

David

Thread: New member in the Scottish Borders
04/04/2020 07:15:27

Hi Jager welcome to the forum. What sort of tools have you been making. If you need to put pictures on here look at the forum page in the black line then frequently asked questions tab. The left hand threading facility is just that you can cut a left hand thread by inserting an extra gear into the gear train, on the headstock, to make the leadscrew rotate in the opposite direction to it left hand thread. Just ask on here if you have any questions but a picture usually helps and shows off what you are making.

David

Thread: New Mill
03/04/2020 12:21:33

Hi Keith nice to have a nice new machine. When you remove the grease that protects the slides etc. you will need to lubricate the slideways and lead screws with a slideway oil I use 60 grade. don't forget to check the spindle taper inside the spindle as that will need cleaning and not lubricating. The small clamp handles for the ways are a bit of a nuisance as it is possible to break them by positioning them so they catch as the slides are moved and clash with the castings. check for play in the slides after cleaning and oiling they may need adjusting. I didn't check that the headstock locking was tight when I first got my machine as it was lightly tightened but moved when I started to cut steel test piece and it cost me a new carbide cutter. also check the head for being square and tramed up. Make sure that it is bolted down before using especially tilting the head.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 03/04/2020 12:22:26

Thread: Help with finishing Wobbler engine
03/04/2020 11:49:14

It runs. I had to use the tyre inflator to test as I don't have a compressor.

https://youtu.be/5fGVVvSl7pE

Thanks for help.

20200403_112701_001.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 03/04/2020 11:50:41

Edited By JasonB on 03/04/2020 12:59:10

03/04/2020 07:59:59

20200402_155815.jpg

20200403_073858.jpg

20200403_073926.jpg

Hi I have been making a wobbler from Steves workshop web site and one of the last things on making it says find the extreme position of the cylinder and mark the port with drill through the exhaust port but the position of the port is on the drawing. I just wondered if I put the hole in to drawing will it work or is it better to mark with a drill and how critical is it. If anyone has made one your help would be appreciated just so I don't have to adjust the hole after drilling.

20200403_074017.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 03/04/2020 08:01:09

Thread: Hello
02/04/2020 19:29:54

H Ian welcome to the forum. What sort of process engineer were you, electrical or mechanical. Post questions on here for many answers especially unknown items etc.

David

Thread: Source of Small Extension Springs
01/04/2020 21:12:38

Hi Brian Have you tried Ashfield springs. I have bought from them local but you may have to have a minimum order price. I added a few extra springs on to make up order. Nunbrook road Huthwaite.

David

Thread: Mystery Sandvik inserts
01/04/2020 18:03:41

Yes they sit on top of the insert and the clamp holds them in place. You adjust the top plate nearer or further from the cutting edge, to get best chip break, which were flat triangular tips with about a 1.5 to 3mm tip radius negative rake and no front clearance except for tip angle so you can use both sides of tip 6 cutting edges. I could take 0.250" cut feed about 0. 050" at 3000 rpm Roughing out. The chips fly and the tool got hot evan with coolant.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest