By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Grease in oil lines
18/05/2022 08:40:50

Hi what mill is it as some mill's use grease on some parts like a Bridgport uses a white grease for varidrive bitts.

David

Thread: Re-boring Grind Wheels
13/05/2022 07:51:03

Hi James PLEASE don't mess with grinding wheels structure. I have seen the results of incorrectly fitted grinding wheels and it isn't worth the risk. A cheap grinder which had only pressed steel washers was so loose on the spindle which was incorrect size for wheel moved and exploded. The spindle bent, pulled in the tool rest, and exploded the wheel. Part of the wheel was embeded in the ceiling. If the wheel is suspect break it to prevent its use and buy a correct size and type of wheel. There is a qualification for mounting grinding wheels in a work situation it prevents this type of accident wating to happen have a look on the web on how to mount a grinding wheel.

DAVID

Thread: Drill bit storage
12/05/2022 17:14:24

I use the plastic boxes which large milling cutters came in. Like a 3/4 endmill box has my collection of 1/4 drills in and up and down the scale all put in a small wooden draw cabinet.

David

Thread: J & S surface grinder - refurbishment
11/05/2022 22:53:24

Epoxy resin is the answer to perforated oil tank. I have repaired at least three of these in the past one which had been welded first before my intervention and still needed a resin coating. Sand blast and coat the whole of the inside with a two part resin. The one I used came from RS components.

David

Thread: making a Square
11/05/2022 22:40:08

Have you thought of a bottle square. I have three of diferant sizes and they are guaranteed square for checking many things. The base is relieved so it rests on a ring and the diamiter is parallel so it is accurate to microns.

One is 25mm diamiter, one is 35mm diamiter and the large one about 100mm diamiter.

David

20190303_074114.jpg

Thread: new member
07/05/2022 09:04:25

Hi Welcome to the forum. As most people hsve said a lathe depends on what you want to make on it and wether you want it to do other operations like milling etc as well. If you know someone near you who has a lathe have a look and ask them. Also have a look at new ones if you have a supplier you can get to. I have a Myford M Type which is adequate for me and it was made in around 1945 ish. But it is in very good condition and I know how to run repair and make parts after a lifetime in engineering so ask anything on here and don't be afraid to ask for help to look at new or older machinery especialy near to you.

David

Thread: Crates to transport Meddings MF4/5 ?
07/05/2022 07:35:09

Hi having packed many tools and tooling I always start with a pallet base made of good wood suitable to be fork lifted or pallet trucked if you have no control over the mover. A pallet truck has a minimum width to pass through the base. The small width for pallet trucks is 540mm so you may need to allow for that to pass through or under your pallet. Then i build an mdf or plywood box with pieces of corner wood to screw into which will take a small load. Also take care to distribute load so one end not heavier than another if possible and bolt or strap the load down to prevent moving inside box. I have used pieces of threaded rod and wood clamps drilled through sometimes.

David

Thread: Jones and Shipman 540 plain bearing head seals
05/05/2022 22:42:56

If you can measure the diamiter of the inside and outside diamiter and the length of the seals checking the actual size of the shaft and hole size that they fit into as well as which way they are fitted you should be able to go to any reputable supplier for a replacement. They should have a code number moulded on the side as well. I always take pictures as i disemble any thing like this just in case.

David

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
04/05/2022 06:16:00

Hi Mal hope all is well. I wondered if you would be taking your Howitzer to the show at Midlands exhibition center this year. Many people would love to see it.

David

Thread: Tufnol or Acetal for hollow bolt
29/04/2022 19:45:14

Nice to see a result of finnished job.

David

Thread: Imported Boxford ME10 Needs help
29/04/2022 06:00:23

I have ground chuck jaws with great results but you need a grinder to fit to the toolpost and a cloverleaf plate, easily made, to do a good job. This is a video of grinding a self centering 4 jaw chuck but the same for a 3 jaw chuck you just need a 3 hole clover leaf plate.

https://youtu.be/2VKR45MYVEw

David

Thread: New to Model Engineer
27/04/2022 06:45:13

Hi Kim welcome to the forum. It sounds like you could have enough experience to help as well as getting information on here but what are your interests.

David

Thread: English Wheel
25/04/2022 06:47:01

Hi I worked in x factory with a salt bath hardening unit,  as an apprentice . We were taught how to use it and made Morse taper drifts and other tools for ourselves including hardening etc. The quenching oil was wale oil we were told and the salt was Sodium cyanide.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 25/04/2022 06:49:43

Thread: High Speed Bench Drill?
24/04/2022 08:13:36

A project I worked on was to drill holes for vacume air holes for vacume forming tooling. After running various small drilling heads we finally came up with an air drill which was infinitely variable speed motor by air pressure and air cooled so no overheating and collets held drills true and 0.25 size drill no problem. We just mounted it on a pantograph like bracket to hold it vertical.

David

Thread: ME handbook Capstan and Turret Lathes
23/04/2022 19:56:49

Having been an operator of capstan lathes around 1970 ish making things like 500,000 screws for a missile launcher axles for caravans, and parts for RR aerospace ie 1/4 UNC studs by the thousand. Is there anything you need to know about capstan lathes.

David

Thread: Supplier of 7/32" Dowel Pins Please?
22/04/2022 19:51:59

Hi Brian I made a knurlingtool from push type to make my clamp type and have changeable rolls for different size cuts using the original pins . I have another which you can have for free as it is not suitable for my lathe. Just drop me a message if you want it.

20190731_104640.jpg

My knurling tool.

spare tool.

David

Thread: Evening all
21/04/2022 06:58:12

Hi Chuck welcome to the forum. There are loads of helpful members on here you only have to ask. You may also help others with your experiences.

David

Thread: jiggered lathe
21/04/2022 06:54:06

Have a look on here for some spares as well.

https://www.homeandworkshop.co.uk/browse-stock/myford-parts-new/22/

David

19/04/2022 22:49:29

Hi Bricky you should have no problems cutting silver steel. I made a tap for my cross slide bush from silver steel. Turned the thread to depth first then cut the cutting edges followed by hardening and tempering.

20190518_090018.jpg

20190519_091437.jpg

20190520_162551.jpg

David

Thread: JB cutting tools
19/04/2022 13:53:31

I rang Jenny just now and all is ok. The web site is not working and is being updated as the stock dosn't match it. They are going to the Midlands Exhibition in October and have booked two stands.

David George

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest