By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Decent drawings for an LNER A-3
04/12/2019 05:15:26

Hi Craig welcome to the forum. Where are you based it helps with local suplier etc being a retired toolmaker myself i was interested what machinery you have.

David

Thread: old hand shaper restoration (1908)
04/12/2019 05:04:58

Hi Celso another nice job.

David

Thread: Mill DRO - How many axis?
03/12/2019 21:39:11

Thanks for letting us know what you actually did as many times you wonder what happened. Any thing you would have done different with hindsight.

David

Thread: Does anyone know about this dividing head.
01/12/2019 16:15:18

Hi Thanks Bizbilder That is correct for the Alan Timmins design and the calculator is great. I have put all my plates in and listed all ratios I can get and printed and laminated so no problem.

David

01/12/2019 14:02:09

Hi I bought thus dividing head at the Midlands Show as I wanted to make some gears etc. Does anyone know about this model, is it a standard make or is it one that has been home made. It is solidly made and has a 40 to 1 ratio. There are three plates with hole numbers A 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 B 21, 23, 26, 28, 30, 32 C 37, 39, 41, 43, 48, 49 . The nose is a Myford standard fit and I bought a chuck mount at the show to check the thread from the Myford stand.

It is a long time since I used one as CNC took over whilst at work but I remember there used to be a chart to set the hole pattern and count to can anyone hrlp with this set up. I have downloaded a spread sheet from the Myford group but i dont know how to use it. I have changed the ratio to 40 and put in the hole sizes for my plates but the output dosnt compute in my head.

20191201_125302.jpg

20191201_125253.jpg

20191201_125244.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 01/12/2019 14:08:30

Thread: In line water valve control
30/11/2019 20:30:03

Hi Michael welcome to the forum there are loads of people to give advice here but it helps if you give a locality and an indication of machinery etc.

David

Thread: Newall DRO
30/11/2019 10:50:26

It sounds like you have some movement in the slides. You need to put a dial indicator on the saddle to the bed ground way and wind the saddle backwards and forwards to see if there is any movement as it may be crabing. Then do the same for the cross slide it sounds like there is some play there somewhere. It will be obvious if there is and you can put a ground bar in the chuck and clock along that in same manner. Hope that helps.

David

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
29/11/2019 09:42:45

What will happen with backlash in the leadscrew if you are using a rotary encoder are you using a linear scale to measure the actual length moved?

David

Thread: Exotic welding
29/11/2019 08:07:02

When at work part of the repair of mould tools used to be done by inserting apiece of steel without showing any Mark or scar on the finnished part but for the last few years we had the damage welded by laser welding and it made repairs so easy in comparison. The laser welder was a mobile unit and so in many cases we didn't have to to evan have to strip or dismantle the tool.

David

Thread: Parallel Pliers
28/11/2019 21:23:25

I have a pair of Main industries pliers from my apprenticeship, about 55 to 60 years ago, and they are still going strong. I had to buy some new ones for the wife as they are used in stained glass work as well they are just the same and the same quality all made on site, machineing, hardening, pressing and blackodising on site just round the corner from where I live.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 28/11/2019 21:23:57

Thread: Myford Super 7 Metric thread cutting gears
24/11/2019 08:26:36

Hi Jesper welcome to the forum. I don't know about your Myford but on my Drummond I have a list which tells you the change gears on the headstock and you should be able to change the gears to cut metric threads with no problem if you have the gears in the list. They are available to buy either second hand or new.

If you search on this site put in screw cutting metric threads in the small box at the top of this page, keyword, it will come up with lots of information and pictures already listed as this question has come up before also i am sure more knowable will post soon.

David

Thread: WM16B DRO - 2 or 3 axis?
23/11/2019 19:06:26

Hi welcome to the forum. I have fitted an M-DRO 3 axis to my V16 mill and wouldn't be without the 3rd axis.

David

Thread: flypress bench
23/11/2019 10:07:33

Hi Larry don't forget to leave a hole under the press centre to alow longer parts to be pressed on or off. As already stated it must be fastened down and bracket to the wall helps as well. I would use a thicker plate on top at least 12mm thick.

David

Thread: Parting off tools for 102 lathe
19/11/2019 19:40:36

I made an upside part off tool holder for an Iscar part off blade it is the best thing I have made for ages. It's solid and you just unclamp the blade and slide it in and out for different does of cut.

20190316_144251.jpg

David

Thread: HSS tool sharpening
19/11/2019 13:52:21

If it was me I would have another grinder with white or blue aloxite wheels of two different grade probably 60 grit and 150 grit to finish on to grind HSS tools.

David

Thread: fobco star drill spindle
19/11/2019 13:44:56

You can get a new spring from lathes.co.uk web site.

David

Thread: Hello from the Lake District
19/11/2019 13:27:22

My lathe was just like yours and the post was only drilled part way down. I just hacksawed the post down and got a friend to machine the post base and tap the hole through. The hole in the toolpost was smaller than the location diamiter so he also milled that to size for me.

David

Thread: Lathe boring tool - top rake?
19/11/2019 08:30:17

How deep and what diamiter do you want to bore Robin.

20171016_160545.jpg

Here is a selection of tools that I have made. The one's on the right will go down very small holes but not so deep and others with piece of tool steel held by a grub screw. I tend to make them pointed with clearance so that I can face the bottom of the hole as well as bore. The top rake is around 5 deg and only a very small tip radius stoned on if nessesary.

David

Thread: Hello from the Lake District
18/11/2019 22:59:34

Hi Mark I have fitted a Dixon type from Myford.toolpost 1 (1).jpg

I removed the old tool post and machined a diamiter to suit location on toolpost then drilled and tapped for bolt.

toolpost 1 (3).jpg

toolpost 1 (5).jpg

David

Thread: Myth Buster?
18/11/2019 09:18:05

Hi Paul I agree. The brazed carbide tip tools need grinding from new as usually there is insufficient clearance and wrong shape to get a good finnish. I use them for roughing out and braze my own if I need a special shape or type of cutter. As for the steel from B and Q if you just need a bit of steel without any special property's no problem.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest