By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: governor for steam engine
30/07/2021 15:21:06

I have bought a governor for a Stuart S50 engine. and firstly I found that the inlet/outlet was in the wrong direction to the pulley and as the bolts were tiny and close to parts. I had to make a socket spanner and find attached pictures under. the socket was made by drilling a 2.5 hole in the end of a brass rod and then pressing a cut down piece of Allen key in a vice, to form the socket. With a bit of clearance on the shaft turned and a hole in side for handle. govenor spanner 1.jpg

govenor spanner 2.jpg

Also can anyone tell me which way the feed to the engine should be. does the steam go in the bottom or in the side as there are no instructions and I hope someone has used one. Also what pulley and belt should i use.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 30/07/2021 15:23:15

Thread: Dynamo drive belt
29/07/2021 12:23:48

You can try these

https://www.beltingonline.com/

They supplied my tiny belt for model lathe.

David

Thread: The International Brotherhood of Drummond/Myford M-Type Owners
27/07/2021 06:45:47

Hi Bob have a look on here.

https://groups.io/g/drummondlathe

There is a wealth of information including a copy of the handbook. Most of the information is in the files section look under my name (David George) for some info but there is so much it takes a bit of looking through.

David

Thread: Bench grinder
23/07/2021 10:23:38

Hi Brian the inside washer holds the wheel square and I have made washers like Peters with a boss on the end that just slides over the wheel spindle and has a shoulder of a smaller diamiter to stop it being pushed on too far. The washer side should be the same diamiter as the original washer and relieved so that the outside 12 mm band grips the paper washer and wheel and doesn't stress the wheel.

David

Thread: Where to buy dowel pins in small quantities
19/07/2021 17:52:16

Bonham and Turner is reliable supplier. Order on line and post or collect in person very helpfully if you need any help. Just had a look on line and they are 0.12p each

David

Edited By David George 1 on 19/07/2021 18:04:14

Thread: 6 inch bench grinder
18/07/2021 23:00:28

This is my diamond wheel grinder with adjustable table to angle diferent cutters.

20190427_090312.jpg

David

18/07/2021 16:13:35

Hi Ian what shape are you grinding as green grit wheels are fairly soft to keep the wheel cutting. I rough out with a green grit 150 grit wheel and finnish with a diamond wheel. Are they turning tools or milling cutters with a form on. When grinding the rough form I may have to re-dress the wheel a few times if I am making a for instance a radius tool and it is a bit dusty.

David

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
15/07/2021 20:54:30

Wife decided she would like a new door knob for newly decorated hall cupboard door. Some thing Art Deco was the gist. So made this.

20210715_204101.jpg

In good books for a while.

David

Thread: Tracy Tools Delivery
14/07/2021 09:44:44

Hi Sam the arrived by post may give you s clue😁.

David

Thread: Hi all
14/07/2021 09:41:35

Hi Martin welcom to the forum. Where in the country do you live as diferent areas have diferent training, teaching schemes. I have a few local friends with diferent skills which help each other out as well.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/07/2021 09:42:51

Thread: Tracy Tools Delivery
14/07/2021 07:50:18

Tracy Tools strikes again. I ordered a single 3/16 x 40 die at around 4.30 on Monday evening and it arrived by post at 10.15 Tuesday morning. Job threaded by 11.00 same day amazing.

David

Thread: Power feeds for Chinese mills
12/07/2021 07:25:37

Hi I have a Chester 16VS mill and the Z axis is behind the column and being not a tall person I decided to move the handwheel to the side and at the same time use the space left by the handwheel to put on a variable speed drive. I replaced the leadscrew with a ballscrew at the same time and used a stepper motor. The handwheel has a bevel gear which I can now see and use easier and the drive gives me the slow feed for fine boring and faster traverse when needed.

20190217_082059.jpg

David

Thread: carbide insert tooling
11/07/2021 17:40:45

I bought an Iscar 2mm parting tool for my rear toolpost and having gone through two other blades from the show at Doncaster and the Midlands Show in consecutive years so I got a few years between them of use. The Iscar blade is now over two years old and going strong on its first tip and is used on stainless, brass, mild steel, and tough steels as well. I am not sure what I will do with the other nine tips I bought at this rate. The cheaper style allows the tip to push back and therefore goes below center and the job climbs over the tip and bang.

David

Thread: Hi Everyone, finally introducing myself
09/07/2021 13:38:35

Hi Jason welcome to the forum. Nice to see a member with diferent skills, perhaps you may help on here. I have worked on prosthetics, bits for concord, and robot hands for production lines among other things in toolmaking

David

Thread: end milling does my Doreen needs a blast
09/07/2021 07:16:12

Brian you don't need air blow for standard milling and drilling you will be just spreading swarf around the workshop unless you have totally enclosed guarding. I have a small bottle of paraffin for aluminium a pot and brush of cutting oil for steel and you don't need anything for brass.

David

Thread: First model for a complete beginner
09/07/2021 07:06:41

Hi Mathew Tomeks suggestion is a great idea for a starter prodject getting used to working from drawings and working with diferent materials I made it then decided to make a boiler to run it then needed a reason to run it and then.

20200403_112701_001.jpg

20200805_085314.jpg

David

Thread: Cylinder drain cock thread?
09/07/2021 06:49:49

Hi Mike just cut a piece of round wood which will be slightly larger than the hole core and longer than an inch. Screw it into the hole and it will impress the thread like a die but not damage the hole thread and you can measure the TIP.

David

Thread: re-magnetising magnetic base
07/07/2021 22:57:06

Eclipse do other makes of chuck repairs but I have never had a mag base repaired. Worth a telephone call to Sheffield just up the road from Meadowhall. Perhaps droping better half of shopping whilst you drop it off.

David

Thread: Lathe diagram - loose wire from fuse
07/07/2021 22:52:25

Have a look at the E stop the wire ends look similar and may have come from there and there is a wire going to a fuse there.

David

Thread: Sieg SX2 or SX2.7
07/07/2021 13:19:32

Hi Mark personally I would go for the SX2.7. The mill is more versatile and you will have more clearance under the spindle for tall jobs or drilling and it has more milling type fittings without a Morse taper shank. You can always use the handwheel to raise and lower the head as well as use the quill for drilling.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest