By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello from Chester
21/08/2019 07:25:30

Hi Kevin Welcome to the forum, there are loads of like minded individuals on here what are your interests.

David

Thread: Dails Caliper has a mystery component in box?
20/08/2019 11:12:50

Hi I have a dial caliper and in the box is a copper coloured strip which is used to adjust the dial if it jumps a tooth. You slide it between the rack and gear and then slide the carriage along a small amount and then pull out strip it may take a few tries to get it right.

David

Thread: Hi from Devon
16/08/2019 21:46:23

Hi Simon welcome to the forum. Plenty of bike people on here what bikes are you working on I have had a James a Matchless twin and Triumph 500 twin before having a 500 Suzuki.

David

Thread: Blown Fuse
14/08/2019 08:58:22

We had a new cleaner at work and he decided to burn some papers in a skip which had aluminium swarf in and the aluminium caught fire. The fire brigade could not use water to put out the fire with a hose as water reacts with the aluminium fire and produces oxygen they covered the skip with fire blankets and cooled the outside of the skip and building nearby.

David

Thread: Myford Super7 Chuck and Tool Holder points
13/08/2019 17:14:56

I bought a Pratt Bernard chuck and it is superb it repeats within a couple of thou and also have a HBM CHUCK ON MY rotary table which is ok but I can clock up the rotary table one to centre when need be. The one I would buy is the Pratt Bernard any day and I would try Rotagrip as well for a price to compare.

David

Thread: Lathe - dead centre wont reach the workpiece
09/08/2019 07:03:54

Hi you can get an extended revolving center which will help and if you wind the compound slide to the rear which will get you a bit closer and if you either rotate the toolpost to put the tool in the right hand side you should get to the end of the job. Try some of these or all.

David

Thread: Chuck out of true
08/08/2019 09:58:19

Hi Martin on my lathe the thread is clearance at least 5 to 10 thou clear and the location is the register diamiter and location face there is only a few tenths of clearance on the diamiter. I get a consistent location repeatability of a few tenths taking it off and on again.

David

Thread: What size milling tool
06/08/2019 07:08:40

Hi Gary what size is the plate. If the plate is small I would drop it into a vice maybe with a parallel to give enough sticking up to cut nicely and would use a 1/2 inch end mill, conventional milling, cut other side to be parallel. Lay flat in vice on vice on parallels with a small amount sticking out and using the same cutter use the side of the cutter to clean up the third and flip and cut fourth sides. If it is to big to fit into a vice I would put it on parallels and clamp down and use the side of the cutter clocking up as nessesary for each side and rotating the plate for each side.

David

Thread: Polishing grinder
05/08/2019 21:12:15

Hi Bill it's Lippert-Unipol DIY kit from Cromwell tools it's s polishing kit with wheels and soap and an arbour for wheel.

David

05/08/2019 18:20:46

To keep in good books the before and after.

20190805_181633.jpg

David

Thread: Locking Levers
05/08/2019 09:39:29

Hi Vick you can try Bonham and Turner local to me a lot cheaper have a look on the web site.

David

Thread: Polishing grinder
03/08/2019 15:10:44

20190803_081636.jpgI was out with SWMBO shopping and had a quick look in Aldi. There was a small grinder with flexible drive and thought it would make a perfect small buffer polisher and when j got it back home it would. I had to make a wheel spacer to take the narrow buffing wheel but it works perfect for me. And after polishing a a couple of stainless steel spoons got the approval.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 03/08/2019 15:13:08

Thread: Greetings from Nottinghamshire!
02/08/2019 21:13:38

Hi Nathan welcome to the forum there are lots of members with loads of information on here. I am close in Sutton in Ashfield if you need any local help just drop a message.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 02/08/2019 21:14:21

02/08/2019 08:46:49

When you come to finnish the diamiters on a back plate, take care that it is not warm as when it cools the size changes, a bore will shrink and an outside diamiter nice fit will be loose.

David

Thread: Another knurling tool
01/08/2019 18:06:12

I have finnished it and oil blacked it and here is a picture now.

20190801_174236.jpg

David

01/08/2019 07:47:05

I needed a knurling tool to knurl a 2 inch diamiter knob a few weeks ago and my M Type Drummond lathe isn't strong enough to use a push type tool and ended up getting if done on a friend's lathe. I had a think and thought I can make one to use on my lathe and here is my efforts.

20190731_104543.jpg

20190731_104736.jpg

20190731_104640.jpg

20190731_104912.jpg

20190731_105002.jpg

I had bought a push knurling tool at the Doncaster show and robbed it as it had three pairs of wheels in and only cost £10.00. The screw was a 130 mm long capscrew and a spring to support the top arm in a rough set place. There is a bronze washer to help the spring slide and a bent 6mm washer at tbe top of the spring to help it slide over the bolt slot. It works very well.

David

Thread: Quality digital vernier calipers
29/07/2019 13:57:30

My Mitutoyo 500-130 is at least 30 years old and going strong I change the batteries every few years. This model has a ON/ZERO button and switches its self off after about a half an hour's of not being used.

David

Thread: Morris Chain Hoist
28/07/2019 22:41:16

Have a look at Konecranes as they gave merged with Morris and have some spares and parts etc.

David

26/07/2019 22:49:25

Hi Grotto! It sounds like there is some damage of swarf in the system somewhere. You have to strip the chuck give it a clean and check for damage. If you remove the chuck from the back plate you will find some screws three will hold the key bevel gears in and three will hold the back plate on to hold the scroll gear in place remove all but label the plates and gears with a dot from a centre punch to make sure that they are replaced in the same orientation. Clean the back plate and screw on to the spindle and clock it to make sure it runs true. If it dosnt unscrew and check for damage. You can shim the face to true if nessesary. Rebuild chuck and assemble on to back plate. Put a dowel about 20mm dia in to chuck and check for run out. If it dosnt run true you have to clock the chuck and maybe adjust the location diamiter.

David

Thread: Hello from Oxfordshire
26/07/2019 09:40:45

Hi welcome to the forum. There are some air rifle enthusiasts on here and many machinery people who can give information you just gave to ask. There are already lots if information in the forum history well worth a look.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest