By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ER 40 Milling nose
26/09/2020 09:26:29

Hi Niels are you going to make a new spindle with integral ER 40 nose or a different adaptor into the Morse taper.

David

Thread: Standard steel tube sizes vs bearing sizes
25/09/2020 07:49:43

When at work I used thick walled steel tubing. We just ordered from local steel suplier and only had to order the correct length for job plus a small amount to clean up.

David

Thread: Anyone recognise these.
24/09/2020 19:41:27

Hi Steviegtr what diamiter is the radius cutter tip as I may have a tip spare from when I worked in the real world. They were used to cut out cavities in mould tools, in pre-hardened steel, for the plastic industry. On a CNC mill they ran at high spindle speed and feed but only moved over a small amount to create a fair finish. If it fits your holder you are welcome to it.These are 16mm diamiter

20200924_194715.jpg

20200924_194739.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 24/09/2020 19:57:23

Thread: Milling cutter advise
24/09/2020 07:38:43

Hi Daniel welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you need a fly cutter to cut the top of the material but like Jason says a bit more detail about mill size and type. Aluminium cutts well with a fly cutter with a small amount of paraffin to lubricate as you go brushed or squirted on with a squeeze bottle. 20181206_080315.jpg

This is my small one with a 12mm shank and 25mm body with a piece of HSS sharpened on a grinder. The small radius on cutting edge works well on aluminium.

David

Thread: Hello Everyone
23/09/2020 17:39:02

Hi Darren welcome to the forum. There are many on here who are not engineers but still manage to make superb models. A bit more about what tools you have or would like may help in pointing you in the right direction and maybe you have some skills and knowledge that may hdlp others.

David

Thread: Customs payment is it a scam
22/09/2020 21:22:20

Hi Robin same parcel No. Rang Royal Mail no reply and no email to contact on this problem.

David

Thread: Cheap Oil for hardening
22/09/2020 13:45:48

I just went to local car spares and bought cheapest engin oil. I pour it into an old deep fat fryer tank and when finnished pour it back there is a spout on fryer tank to make it easy. You need quite a lot of oil to quench the gauge plate quick enough and move it around vigorously when plunged into oil.

David

Thread: Customs payment is it a scam
22/09/2020 07:44:00

I have just had an email from supposedly the Royal Mail headed

Notification REGIONAL CUSTOMS DIRECTORATE.

Saying Your DPD package No *************** shipped on 09/19/2020 is being processed in order to enable us to deliver your package VAT costs will be billed to the importer.

It then goes on to ask me to buy a passage card pin code on line 50 EUR and email this to customs@postoffice-fees.com

is this a scam. I have a poster for granddaughter on order but it isn't due till 23 October cost £15.00 . I have never had to pay anything this dosnt sound right to me.

David

Thread: Hello - Help Needed with Bridgeport Wiring
20/09/2020 12:38:48

Scott have a look at the top of this page there us a little mail symbol inbox just click it to receive messages when logged in.

David

20/09/2020 07:47:09

Hi Scott I have a copy of the handbook in PDF format which has a wiring diagram at the end I will send a message with my email so you can send me an email with handbook attached.

David

Thread: Lathe light
20/09/2020 07:26:35

Hi Capnahab in my service job (now retired) I kept a stock of machine lamp bulbs which were 25 volt and 50 volt. They were available from a local electrical suplier and I think I would just fit a 50 volt bulb as you should not fit a 240 volt lamp to a lathe with metal and fluids flying about. You could change the bulb type and the supply with a new transformer to LED but make sure it is low volt 50 volt or less. Have a look at the supply transformer that us fitted now as some have a multiple tapped transformer which you can change the voltage output.

David

Thread: Hi everyone
19/09/2020 21:02:53

Hi Pablo welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a usefull workshop but if you need any help just ask on here.

David

Thread: 2020 Stevenson Trophy Competition
15/09/2020 16:56:27

Bump

Thread: Hello
15/09/2020 07:33:04

Hi Tom welcome to the forum. There are loads of like minded steam enthusiasts on here and any help you can give eould be also most appreciated.

David

Thread: Hello
13/09/2020 17:08:52

Hi Mark Recently my granddaughters class was doing a project on resistance and lamps so I made 6 units with a wooden block with a battery holder a switch and three brass terminals to connect different resistors and different lamps and led' s. They had one per group and I had a great time turning the brass terminals and screws and bits.

David

Thread: ECLIPSE MAGNETIC CHUCK
13/09/2020 06:32:10

Bill sent a message as I am not sure if I can put up information about a company on here but as they are not far from Meadowhall shopping center it helped to deliver and collect the chucks with a visit for my wife to said shopping center.

David

12/09/2020 07:38:44

Hi Noel the chuck will loose it's magnetism if you strip it down. You should persevere with lubricating it There is a hole sometimes on the side sometimes on the bottom with a grub screw. just use a 30 grade slideway oil and work it in by operating it in various positions to get the oil to all parts. If you find that it dosn't get better Eclipse can strip refurbish and they re-magnetise it on assembly.

David

Thread: Boring bars
09/09/2020 07:02:19

Hi Steve this picture of my boring bars. I prefer HSS tools but I have some carbide tip bars brazed on and one changeable tip tool bar.

20171016_160606.jpg

The small HSS boring bars can bore down 4 mm and 5mm holes to make sure the holes are running true after drilling and before reaming.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 09/09/2020 07:05:45

Thread: Chamfer Block
06/09/2020 22:49:59

At the last place i worked at we had a pneumatic air grinder with a pair of adjustable blocks and you just run it round the block after adjusting the champher width with a thumb screw. There was a 2 inch grinding wheel on end of spindle behind the two Vee blocks. I believe you can get one with a cutter instead of grinding wheel but it made a lot of needle shaped swarf and can only cut soft steel.

David

Thread: Hermes Parcels
06/09/2020 10:19:26

Had many parcels delivered by DPD and no problems. You can track all of the way and see where the courier is on their app and get notification by message when it is being delivered . Last week ordered from a supplier in Birmingham about 3.30 pm and it was delivered at 8.15 am and could follow it all the way. The driver is always smiling and will put in greenhouse if I am not in.

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest