By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New to forum
18/01/2020 19:42:58

Hi Neil welcome to the forum. I also have an M Type and if you need any help just drop me a message. Where are you based and what are you interested in as it helps to suggest local supliers etc.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 18/01/2020 19:44:16

Thread: 4x6 bandsaw
18/01/2020 19:36:59

I bought a replacement blade for my bandsaw at Screwfix it was made by Starrett.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 18/01/2020 19:37:39

Thread: How to soften steel
18/01/2020 09:29:36

20181018_091255.jpgI machined my toolholders and found that they were case hardened. It means that once I was through the hard skin it was less problem but with this type of steel is tougher than through hardened steel and less likley to fracture. The core material does harden but not as much as the skin and i found that a 10mm carbide tool machined them with little problem.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 18/01/2020 09:37:50

Thread: Gunmetal or brass
17/01/2020 22:20:16

Try you local metal scrap dealer many have a metal analyser and will test it for you.

David

Thread: New to Forum
15/01/2020 16:39:20

Try top of this web page black band, in the forum tab then click web questions then how to Post pictures.

David

15/01/2020 07:58:32

Hi welcome to the forum. It looks like you have some work on the go. A few pictures woukd be nice and where are you based, helps with local supliers etc.

David

Thread: Bridgeport & Transwave - Help Please
14/01/2020 07:45:13

Give transwave a call have a look on there web site. 0121-708-4522

David

Thread: Warco WM18 Y axis gib
14/01/2020 07:28:23

I would have a look at the gib strip. It easy to remove, has it been damaged or bent around the screw adjustment area. Clean around the area before removing have a good look at the screw itself in case it is bent and I have a thin strip of material, brass I think, which I put a strip of cotton material to clean down such areas. Having cleaned try and shine a light from the back and inspect the way and if all ok lube with slideway oil and reassemble. Put a dial indicator on the saddle against a parrallel etc clamped and wind it back one forward to check for play. Let us know what you find as many don't and I wonder if it is fixed. Pictures help.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 14/01/2020 07:28:57

Thread: Mechanisms in modern engineering design Artobolevsky
14/01/2020 07:08:50

How is the mill coming along, is it a runner yet?

David

Thread: Converting guillotine from manual to air power.
12/01/2020 09:08:38

Have you thought of using an Air oil converter to make hydraulic pressure which is more controllable. You just need a double cylinder with air pressure to compress the hydraulic oil which in turn operates the cutting cylinder.

David

Thread: Magnetic chucks
10/01/2020 19:24:09

Very useful in some cases but do not strip it down as you will lose the magnetism and will have to go back to Eclipse for repair and're magnatising near to Meadowhall Sheffield. It may have a lubrication hole just use a slideway oil. Careful on thin or small diamiter pieces at least may need packing to stop sliding.

David

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 10:22:12

I worked in the plastics industry making various tooling for many molders and two came up as dangerous one was a bleach manufacture and with a new style of screw top, the polymer was changed from the original and it was later found that the lid became brittle with time, and split, not good for keeping the bottle sealed. The other was a blow moulding for a carbonised drink and the pressure exceeded the strength of the neck piece if the bottle was shaken or dropped, the end of the bottle snapped as the top was unscrewed and a young person actually lost the sight in one eye. I made a container for containing amputated limbs in operating theaters for disposal but that is another story. Just to say that not all standards are rubbish but some of them are a total wast of time.

David

Thread: Looking to buy a better toolpost
08/01/2020 09:41:27

Yes they are from the original that i have and stamped W.

David

08/01/2020 08:07:34

Here is a drawing of the original toolholders which fit my Myford Dixon toolpost. The screw hole is used as a datum as a screw with a plane shank is screwed in and all measurements are based about this centre.

20191208_192606_003.jpg

I thought to may give someone a base to measure from.

David

Thread: Drilling hardened steel
07/01/2020 23:08:24

If you can set it up in a lathe at the right centre, maybe in a 4 jaw chuck, you can use a dremmel type grinder with a grinding wheel to true up the hole held in the toolpost.

David

Thread: Question about Harrison lathe
06/01/2020 08:25:37

Try (0) 1924 412603 the spares department for Colchester/ Harrison lathes, Elland W Yorkshire. Look for it under 600 Group who own it now. You will need as much information as possible, serial number stamped on bed and model etc.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 06/01/2020 08:28:34

Thread: Looking to buy a better toolpost
05/01/2020 19:11:32

I had a problem with a Dickinson type holder coming loose and I realised that they were some replacements that I had bought at the show at Doncaster. I had a closer look at one of the ones that came loose and found that the cam action was not going round as far as the originals. With closer inspection there was a step between the two and I then milled the excess material off with a carbide end mill. Problem solved I have had no holders coming loose since.

David

Thread: lathe cutting fluid.
05/01/2020 16:49:48

I have a favourite cutting oil called Kutamatic liquid 500. I use it where there are problems with parting off, drilling reaming etc especially stainless and pre toughened materials. it's magic and gets me out of problems evan aly that picks up is no problem with a drop or two. I think it is better than Rocol RTD.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 05/01/2020 16:59:50

Thread: Kity Woodwork Machine Switch
02/01/2020 20:47:03

How about extending the wire from the switch to the motor and unscrewing the box from the motor. Then you can attach the switch to the table with a clamp near to the side that you are working on. Also you could put an emergency stop on the box just in case.

David

Thread: Punching holes in metals
02/01/2020 17:00:18

Hi I have some screw type punches bought for jewelry making. I have also made similar from silver steel and a bolt with a hardened dowel inserted with a slight angle ground on the end to help the cutting procces.

Impressart 2 Hole Punch 1.6mm And 2.4mm Pierces

999_ia68_12 (2).jpg

I hope this will help

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest