By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Eclipse magnetic table
22/04/2019 09:52:56

Hi David there is no oil seal on these chucks, you should only lubricate ocasionaly and use a slideway type oil which is thick and sticky 60 grade. Under no circumstances strip them down as you will loose the magnetism and it have to be returned to Eclipse for repair and re-magnatising.

David

Thread: Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners
22/04/2019 06:53:18

At one factory I was apprenticed at we made parts for RR aero engines and the bolts and nuts were silver plated to prevent galling and picking up. It's amazing what you remember when someone mentions a problem on here.

David

21/04/2019 10:02:28

Hi Graham Just one more to look at www.polished-stainless.com Mike Peters I have no connection with him other than having bought from him. He suplies most sizes and in any quantity anywhere in the world.

David

Thread: Lathe controls position
19/04/2019 20:55:57

Hi the socket it straight above on a beam and you just known were the stop start is, the stop button stands proud and a flat hand just stops the lathe without thinking. If you turn the forward reverse switch the power is cut by no volt relay on contactor to save switch contacts.

David

19/04/2019 19:38:25

I instaled my Drummond M type controles at the tailstock end .controle switches.jpg

Forward and reverse and start stop.

David

Thread: Hello from Bath, UK
19/04/2019 17:40:55

Hi Mark welcome to the forum. You can try this Steve Cox on 07836 736496 landylift@aol.co.uk he is very helpfully.

David

Thread: Aspiring Myford User
19/04/2019 07:18:58

Hi Mark welcome to the forum. There is loads of information on here as well as many people who have done what you are doing just ask. If you put pictures it may help and the way to do that is on the web page here at the top of the page in the black band click forums then look down to website FAQ tab lots of info in the forums. It also helps if you give a locality to where you live as local people can let you know local supliers etc.

David

Thread: No volt switch
17/04/2019 21:13:59

My bench grinder stopped working today and as I had a replacement it was no great problem just a few minutes to unscrew base pull out conection unclip housing and reverse. I just wondered what had gone wrong with old switch so removed white plastic clips and I could release the two halves of housing don't loose springs. Then it is easy to push out connector strips with contactor attached and then coil and actuator lifts out with connector strips to contactor terminals. I checked continuity of coil and no circuit the coil had failed no reason why. Job done.20190417_092358.jpg

David

Thread: Gyroscope origins
17/04/2019 08:34:21
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47044932
This is the web site.
David
Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 07:26:59

Hi Robin I have had a set of Mitotoyo gauges and I can get to less than a thou accuracy with mine but if I need to get to that accuracy I would use my internal micrometer. There is a knack to using them, put them in over size tighten, twist through 90 degrees along the bore and extract and measure with a micrometer carfuly. If in doubt measure again.

David

Thread: Phosphor bronze half nut
16/04/2019 20:50:31

Hi Grant You would make it as a whole nut screw cut and cut in half before soldering on to original lever. You just screw cut with a boring bar with a tool with a slightly thinner than original pitch size and widen to suit shaft size with compound slide when to depth. Here is a picture of a new nut I recently made for a wrench that needed replacing.

20190413_160655.jpg

20190413_160703.jpg

David

Thread: Hello From North Carolina
16/04/2019 06:49:49

Hi Gerald nice work, thanks.

David

Thread: Bridgeport vibes
15/04/2019 10:49:13

Hi Bill I have been thinking about the vibration but without striping and looking i can't put a finger on it. Dose It do the same thing with power feed as well as hand feed. It isn't something I have come across personally but if it doesn't affect the operation I wouldn't worry.

David

Thread: Waterproof cabinet / box?
14/04/2019 07:18:53

If you put it outside you may have to put in a small tubular heater and thermostat in the enclosure to keep condensation at bay, have done similar for compressors etc in the past. You can wire a cooling fan if necessary to cool down equipment as well. We just knocked up a wooden and board structure with plenty of room and loovered door

David

Thread: Hello From North Carolina
14/04/2019 06:54:45

Hi Gerald welcome to the forum how a out a few pictures of your work.

David

Thread: Boxford back gear
13/04/2019 22:37:28

Why were you drilling a large hole in your back gear!

David

Thread: Knurling Tool for Mini Lathe
13/04/2019 08:01:53

Hi Andrew have you thought if going to the exhibition at Doncaster there are always a few goodies to compare!

David

Thread: Hi, Toolmaker / CNC Programmer. Merseyside
12/04/2019 16:22:21

Hi Karl welcome to the forum. Nice to see younger toolmakers on here as an ex- apprentice toolmaker myself when CNC was never heard of and auto lathes were the latest thing. I have seen many changes like we had to file a shape to a couple of thou for RR turbine blade dies by hand and checked on a shadow graph. Now three years into retirement I hope you have as varied a time with engineering as I have had.

David

Thread: Boring on a light mill
12/04/2019 12:55:18

Yes it's a 2" and it depends on what material and diamiter I am boring small hole faster maybe 750 rpm and 6inch diamiter 150 rpm. Also brass and ally faster than hard steel. A good strong boring bar is essential if it comes with a set of boring bars they will need grinding with a green grit or diamond wheel. I make bars for different jobs.

David

12/04/2019 12:30:13

Hi Chris I have a similar Chester mill and have no problem boring just bought bog standard boring head no problems.

20190326_084614.jpg

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest