By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David George 1

Here is a list of all the postings David George 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 316 Stainless
18/10/2021 08:11:07

This is a video to roughing out a stainless stem with a carbide indexable tool from JB cutting tools. On my 1950 M Type Drummond lathe.

https://youtu.be/vzrhyDr4JBM

David

Edited By David George 1 on 18/10/2021 08:12:34

Thread: Tool identification
17/10/2021 15:23:06

Hi Colin don't try and put a radius on the cutters with the chip breaker as they will rub and you can't get center height correct. Just grind off the end of the tool and a rub with a sharpening stone on the cutting edge. I use the corner of a grinding wheel along the groove and sometimes use a small diamiter grinding point in a dremmel to smooth it out. Don't use on brass, bronze, cast iron or similar materials as they will grab and chatter.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 17/10/2021 15:41:06

17/10/2021 08:39:07

Hi Colin the groove is on the top of the tool on all three tools. I use this style on softer materials aluminium or EN1A steel for instance to get a good finnish and the third style I would use that as a roughing out tool for the same as the top groove acts as a chip breaker as well.

20171016_161005.jpg

David

Thread: Alexander master Toolmaker Mill
16/10/2021 07:47:34

I used one of these during my apprenticeship around 50 years ago lovely machine to use .

David

Thread: Reproduction ivory look hand grips
14/10/2021 22:31:13

My brother sells mammoth ivory from Siberia. He is a dealer in fossils and stone treasures. I have a small meteorite in my pocket that he gave me.

David

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
11/10/2021 18:48:05

When my in-laws had sky installed the installer drilled through the wall and clipped the satelite twin cable around two rooms walls on the top of the skirting board and thorough the door upright woodwork. I fitted a conduit through the floor of the front room and part of the middle room the where the sky box was installed. I pulled out the cable and re-routed it through the conduit and had to cut off 10 meters of spare cable. If I have a fibre optic cable to my house, I will pre-install a conduit across the garden and through house ready to where I want it terminated.

David

11/10/2021 07:12:58

The BBC will in the near future get rid of transmitters to aerials and expect all viewers to use the broad band network instead saving billions of pounds in maintenance and renewal costs. Progress?

David

Thread: J & S 1310
07/10/2021 07:03:44

Chris have you tried Andmar machinery services. https://www.andmar.co.uk/

David

Thread: New to a Myford
04/10/2021 06:38:22

Hi Paul welcome to the forum. Can you give some more details of your new lathe, is it rusty, has it been lubricated with the correct oils in the past and where in the country are you. It may help if you can put some pictures on here it will help to assist you with info.

David

Thread: NHS Covid Passport Scam
03/10/2021 22:42:20

I have read that they are taking your details and selling them to others who are not vaccinated and putting this on their NHS record so they can get a passport for around £800.00 a person including make of vaccine and batch number.

David

Thread: Spindle Bearing Wear Check
03/10/2021 22:34:37

They are 30206/P5 Bearings if you buy new ones Timken quality are £10.80 each plus vat. Have a look on the Chester hobby web site you can download the manual which lists all parts and information.

David

03/10/2021 19:41:38

Hi Chris when you push on the bar does it return to zero. Also what is the finnish like, do you have a taper in the work when turning parallel. The bearings are taper type and should be adjustable with care and knowledge.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 03/10/2021 19:49:12

Thread: Boiler wrap
30/09/2021 11:57:45

Hi I get my brass sheet from M Machine Metals.  

https://www.m-machine-metals.co.uk/index.html

David 

Edited By David George 1 on 30/09/2021 11:59:49

Thread: Hardinge HLV H
30/09/2021 07:19:22

ZMT web site is still working they may have spares.

David

Thread: Hi from midlands.
29/09/2021 22:06:23

Thanks Dwayne. Love the video a real carousel.

David

29/09/2021 09:50:24

Hi Dwayne welcome to the forum. I would like to see your work please put some pictures on when you can. There are many helpful members on here just ask and you will get some suggestions etc.

David

Thread: clocking in
26/09/2021 07:42:04

Hi John welcome to the forum. The CNC upgrade sounds interesting can you give us a picture or two and how do you disengage the motors when you use handwheels and vice a versa.

David

Thread: PM Research#1 Cylinder Can it be saved ?
26/09/2021 07:29:38

If you make a slug of cast iron to fit the slot that you have milled it can be pressed in and if you hit it with a punch it will expand and will never come out. You have to make the plug a good fit and you have to have a piece of round bar in the bore of the cylinder to suport the bottom of the plug. You won't have to re-machine the slot if the plug is the corect depth. When fitted you punch the plug with a diamiter pin punch along its length and it will be permanent and won't move although you may have to skim the cylinder bore as the plug may stand proud a little. I have used this method in many castings both cast iron and aluminium to repair all sorts of machinery and tooling.

David

Thread: Material selection or additional process
25/09/2021 20:33:41

Hi Colin. The black mild steel is too soft for a chuck key. I would use EN 40B which is a tough material or silver steel which will need hardening and tempering. Also I would make it from a larger diamiter bad and just reduce the 7mm AF end to allow a larger handle diamiter without weakening the key.

David

Thread: Stuart engine paint colours
22/09/2021 19:32:23

Hi it's a can of aerosol Halfords enamel engine blue. On sapele wood base.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 22/09/2021 19:34:27

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest