By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Hamilton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Hamilton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Advice on Choosing A Mini Lathe
30/03/2019 22:53:04

Not sure if the Sherline is more a micro lathe, i can echo what has been said about how good the Sherline's are. It certainly punches well & truly above it's weight in my opinion, a lathe this tiny that has 40mm of travel on the tailstock & 100mm travel on the crossslide & 17" between centers with options to raise the center height to 3" if required with additional riser blocks. Good powerfull motors for a lathe this small that run cool with variable speeds from 70 rpm - 2800 rpm, i had been aware of Sherline's for more than 40 years but they never looked that interesting. How wrong i was until i bought a new one a couple of weeks ago along with 3.1" 3 jaw s/c chuck, 3.1" 4 jaw s/c chuck. 3.1" 4 jaw independent chuck, compound slide, fixed steady + various other trinkets. I was amazed at the level of work & accuracy this little lathe is capable of, i can use carbide insert tools & hss & achieve as good as ground finish off the tool on Mild steel, stainless steel, silver steel + brass & aluminium finish is unbelievable. The accuracy on turning parrallel is within .0001" after setting the head stock, the chucks are works of art. My Sherline 4 jaw s/c chuck runs within .001" run out, the lathe is also capable of taking some serious cuts when roughing down with no chatter. The adjustable back lash adjuster on the cross slide is also capable of reducing back lash to .001" - .0015", bearing in mind of course this is a very basic small lathe that has no power feed or powered screw cutting only manual screw cutting with the extra attachment. This lathe suited my needs these days for what i need to make so was ideal for me & am very happy indeed with this purchase.

Thread: Toolroom lathe?
18/03/2019 16:30:23
Posted by Barrie Lever on 18/03/2019 14:43:55:

Martin

Are you still looking for a lathe?

I nearly buckled a couple of weeks ago to call you about the Compact 5 but changed my mind.

I was going to get a just about new Wabeco 4000 for £1125 but realised it is hardly any bigger than the Compact 5.

Regards

Barrie

Barrie, sent you an email. Regards Martin.

Thread: ER25 or MT2 Collets
18/03/2019 14:00:25

I also have a set of the Farion er25 collets that Barrie mentions, they are not the cheapest of collets but they are very accurate.

Thread: Toolroom lathe?
18/03/2019 13:46:41

Andy what are your thoughts on the little WM180 lathe now that you have used it some, perhaps your experience with using it will benefit others looking towards WM180 or similar size lathes whilst keeping in mind there limitations. Regards Martin.

Thread: Lathe info
18/03/2019 13:18:01

They have this lathe pictured on lathes.co.uk as a Colchester Master circa 1930 - 1939.

Thread: Hardened Silver Steel Shattered - How to Avoid?
08/03/2019 21:04:17

When i used to make waterscrew hydro props cut from solid bar i used to harden & temper in the same way as the couplings that i described above except the tempering was done slower in the oven to straw colour over a longer period in the household oven. I done this in the oven so that the very thin blades were an even temp all along the props, using a direct flame got uneven heat in the thin blades towards the tips of the blades. These props were not silver steel as silver steel was not tough enough due to the loads put on them turning @ 30000rpm in water, i used en24T for props to cut them from followed by the hardening & tempering.

Edited By Martin Hamilton 1 on 08/03/2019 21:05:20

08/03/2019 19:53:03
Posted by Martin Hamilton 1 on 08/03/2019 19:42:56:

For 40 years when i built & raced tethered hydro's i done a lot of hardening & tempering of silver steel. The ball & socket couplings that we made needed to be hard but tough including a very small pin in the ball side of the couplings, used to heat red hot & plunge into cold water. That made them very hard but to brittle, to temper them down i would clean the outer surface of the bit of scale that had formed with emery cloth to bring the metal back to a shiny colour then heat to straw colour & plunge into oil. Old used motor oil used to work well but also used new motor oil if i had no old stuff about, never ever had any coupling failures or excessive wear.

I said that the wrong way round ( senior moment ), part would be heated to red hot & then plunged into oil. Then cleaned up & reheated to straw colour & then plunged into cold water, brain cooked with all the methanol in the fuel.

08/03/2019 19:42:56

For 40 years when i built & raced tethered hydro's i done a lot of hardening & tempering of silver steel. The ball & socket couplings that we made needed to be hard but tough including a very small pin in the ball side of the couplings, used to heat red hot & plunge into cold water. That made them very hard but to brittle, to temper them down i would clean the outer surface of the bit of scale that had formed with emery cloth to bring the metal back to a shiny colour then heat to straw colour & plunge into oil. Old used motor oil used to work well but also used new motor oil if i had no old stuff about, never ever had any coupling failures or excessive wear.

Thread: Quality issues with a SIEG SX2.7 mini mill
19/02/2019 13:45:14

'Electrical' scraper, aka belt sander.

Thread: Lathe Identification
19/02/2019 11:27:31

It seems likely that Wilfin lathes may actually have been manufactured by A. Fielding & Co of Keighley, as it looks like William Findlay were machine tool suppliers.

19/02/2019 10:58:01

That certainly looks like the Wilfin lathe that is pictured over on lathes.co.uk.

Thread: New coffee maker - disgusting taste!
16/02/2019 13:39:40

You will all be reminiscing about Smedleys tinned sausage rolls soon, who remembers them from the 1950's or 1960's. Where you opened the tin at both ends & pushed out 6 or 8 sausage rolls that were rolled together, separated them onto a baking tray & in the oven to cook. Came out the oven piping hot with a delicious flaky pastry, what a treat they were.

13/02/2019 20:11:23

We bought a decent quality Breville plastic kettle & right from the start no funny tastes at all. Got fed up with the Tesco £12 plastic kettles failing at the bayonet fitting that connects the kettle to the base, we had 3 of these fail in total with 1 of them failing after about a month. They always seem to have a funny taste more so when new even after doing the mandatory boiling a number of times before using them when new.

Thread: Buying lathes direct from China
13/02/2019 16:40:14

For the minimal savings you might or might not see i would not go that route of importing direct from China. Simply not worth the possible unseen problems that might develop.

Thread: Filling defects in slideways
13/02/2019 16:35:13

You can buy Lab metal in the UK from Caswel Europe who are in Hampshire tel 01252 560515, they only sell it as a kit 700 ml Lab metal + 500 ml of solvent for £80 + £7 postage. I have nothing to do with this company.

Thread: WM180 Saddle adjustment
12/02/2019 16:39:03

Andy i dont do any thread cutting these days, not even turning anything to large or heavy in the lathe. More just pretty simple straight forward turning/drilling/boring, i dont even have much call for parting off with what i do as its just as easy for me to hacksaw things off & clean up. Having owned in the past a couple of Myfords ML 10 & ML 7 + an Emcomat V10P, the WM180 would probably do all i need to do if am honest but because the WM240 is only 310 quid dearer it may be a better buy.

12/02/2019 13:53:15

I have thought about the WM180 lathe with x 300 mm between centres, but am also thinking about do i go a bit larger & get a WM 240 with 400 mm between centres + a much heavier more capable machine. Not really down to price though as the WM180 with DRO is £1150 & the WM240 is £1460 with no DRO, as i dont really need DRO other than it would be handy at times if it came fitted on a lathe i was buying. Decisions to make ? on which to go for.

11/02/2019 23:14:36

Great news that it worked out Jim, did you skim the blocks on the lathe or mill them flat. Regards Martin.

Thread: Decoding Ser# of Emcomat 8.4/8.6 Lathe
10/02/2019 23:31:04

From memory the Emco V10P that i used to have had the serial number stamped on the top of the bed @ the tail stock end of the bed. It was stamped in the shallow groove that runs the length of the bed directly behind the front way.

Thread: lathe wanted
10/02/2019 23:12:23

To late i know but there was probably the best condition Boxford AUD long bed lathe with lots of tooling around today. Its in the for sale section on Lathes.co.uk, it sold last week in 2 days of the add being placed for £2500.

Edited By Martin Hamilton 1 on 10/02/2019 23:33:12

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest