By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Hamilton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Hamilton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 13:35:38

I use various means from no fluid to Castrol llocut 486 neat oil or paraffin, i only dab on with a brush when using fluids. llocut 486 neat works very well on most metals & is also non staining, sometimes i also use paraffin on aluminium & brass.

Thread: Myford lathe identification
09/09/2019 16:05:38

A lot of ML10 fix steadies can go for around £230 but there is also one on Ebay for £160 at the moment. A new 4 jaw chuck will also push the price higher.

09/09/2019 13:47:02

I would of thought a nice ML10 long bed c/w 3 jaw chuck, tail stock chuck, fixed steady & face plate ( cant see what is in the blue box sat on the bed ) should be around £1400 - £1500. As an example they have a nice Myford Speed 10 with just a 3 jaw chuck for £1575 + Vat ( £1890 ) @ Home & Workshop Machinery.

Thread: Mystery object
08/09/2019 18:36:05

Piano wire is also what they use to run tethered cars & hydroplanes on, very strong wire indeed but must be looked after re even the slightest kink in the tether wire must be replaced. Needs to be strong when a 16 lbs flash steam hydro is running at over 130mph & an electric tether car is running over 220 mph.

Thread: Myford lathe identification
08/09/2019 18:22:40

Myford ML10, looks like the long bed model in great condition.

Thread: Another brass/bronze question
05/09/2019 16:41:57

I have 3 different grades of bronze that i have just test turned to see the differences, one is unknown but labelled as bronze by the tool shop that i sometimes use who sell various surplus metals. This was 1/2" diam & very nice looking gold colour & turned very nice with short tight curls ( not stringy at all like the very copper looking bronze ), The second was a known 16mm diam PB1 bronze & this turned very nice again with short tight curls similar to the first one. The third was a known 16mm diam SAE 660 bronze, again turned very nice but this one came off in small chips. Not as fine as you get with brass but deff chips.

Thread: 4 jaw Self centering chuck recommendations please
05/09/2019 14:59:33

When i spoke to ARC a while back about the Chinese v Indian chucks they said the Indian chucks that had been reduced were a better choice & better made than the Chinese chucks they had.

Thread: Screaming brass
05/09/2019 14:47:39

If i am looking for a mirror finish on brass off the tool i use HSS with either zero rake or negative rake for an even better finish still. If not being quite as fussy on finish but still a very good finish indeed or roughing down brass i use the excellent aluminium inserts.

Thread: Why does the micrometer have a second knurled segment
05/09/2019 14:35:13

Because when you hold the mic with 1 hand & use it you have 1 finger which is normally little finger holding the curved body you would not be able to reach the ratchet knob at the end. The large knurled part is also handy when you want to open or close the mic down some distance you run the barrel up or down your arm.

Thread: Help what is a fair price
05/09/2019 14:24:16

There is Quite a nice Compact 5 that comes only with 3 jaw chuck, live center, 2 dead centers, top slide & chip trays on the popular auction site in Europe. They want £813 + £68 Shipping & this seller has no trouble selling a number of Compact 5 lathes as he sells mainly used Emco's.

05/09/2019 14:03:41

Personally i think that is worth a lot more than £250, the lathe & milling head looks to be in reasonable condition & assuming it is along with the array of accessories with it also looking good. I think knowing what these are fetching these days i think that would be a good buy to someone looking for a Compact 5 + mill for £500 - £600.

Lathe with Power Feed Control

4 Chucks

Milling Head

ER collet chuck

ER Collets

Fixed Steady

Travel Steady

Top Slide

Milling Table

Vice

Change Wheels

QR Tool Post

Tool Block

Thread: Ajax Extron Lathe
04/09/2019 18:52:30

Nice looking lathe, i did see this one in G&M Tools. You could try contacting Ajax to see if they still have any info on this model lathe, they seem to of got out of the smaller machine market these days & offer larger machines now. They are down in Lymington in Hampshire.

Thread: Non ABS pipe glue recommendation please
04/09/2019 14:41:10

Glad the Plastic Welder worked ok & it holds up, it actually melts into the surface of the plastic giving a strong bond. The good news with Plastic Welder is you can use it also on thin plastic where it only melts or etches into the surface of the plastic so dose not affect or distort the other side of the plastic which a lot of the time is the outer surface that can be seen depending on what you are bonding.

Thread: Help choosing a Chinese lathe please
03/09/2019 20:25:09

The WM180 is a much heavier lathe than the crop of mini lathes, every thing about the lathe is larger & heavier castings etc with a bed width of 100mm compared with 80mm mini lathe even though the centers etc is no bigger than the mini lathes. The WM180 would fit in between the mini lathe & a WM240 for example.

03/09/2019 13:58:38

I think if i was in the market for a mini lathe i would probably buy from ArcEuro as they have a very good reputation on this forum, Ketan from ArcEuro is often on the forum & is very helpfull not only to his customers but on other subjects as well. They also appear to nearly always have lathes in stock & hold spare parts in stock + there Sieg lathe uses the desired brushless motor & they come with up to 400mm between centres.

Thread: Parting Off
29/08/2019 20:15:07

http;//youtu.be/-RZRq0olsxM this explains things clearer.

29/08/2019 18:35:14

The rear mounted tool post works very well indeed, i use a rear mounted inverted parting tool on my Sherline & it parts with no problems at all even on steel. Aluminium & brass is a joy to part off, you don't tend to get dig in's with an inverted parting tool whether it be a rear or a front mounted tool. Being inverted the rotation of the work piece is pushing the tool away from the work piece preventing dig in's, a more normal position parting tool is pulled into the work piece causing more severe dig in's.

Thread: How hot does the motor on your mill/lathe run?
27/08/2019 20:45:23

As long as their isn't a problem with the motor which would obviously need sorting, i find running a small fan onto motors brings temps down quite a bit. On my Sherline lathe being a typical small low powered high revving motor will after a while start to run warm, in this very warm weather we have at the moment temps can climb quicker. I purchased one of the small 4w desk fans for £5 & run it all the time, i can run my Sherline for long periods now even in hot weather & the motor barely gets warm as the fan is running & blowing cool air onto the motor even when the lathe is stopped for measurement taking or tool changing etc.

Thread: Non ABS pipe glue recommendation please
27/08/2019 20:30:12

You want something like Devcon Plastic Welder, this is a 2 part acrylic adhesive . It mixes like 2 part epoxies but is made specifically to bond most plastics including PVC/ABS. I have used it for years on Plastic to plastics also plastic bonded to glass fibre/metal/wood. Its available from model shops or Ebay etc.

Thread: Trouble Cutting Silver steel
26/08/2019 18:57:38

The 16mm length of silver steel coming out from the chuck & was turned down to 2.5mm diameter on my Sherline was done @ around 1200 rpm with DCGT insert. Out of interest i put my tacho on to check my speed that i turned @, i also checked the tacho for accuracy by running @ full speed & got 2804 rpm. Not bad as Sherline state 2800 rpm @ max speed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest