By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Hamilton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Hamilton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What’s best glue for joining wood to PVC pipe?
21/06/2020 16:53:54

You want Devcon Plastic welder 2 part adhesive, this is an acrylite glue intended for plastics. It is also good on metal, wood, glassfiber etc. Hobby shops or Ebay for around £8 or £9.

Thread: Cross slide adjustment?
03/06/2020 13:43:05

I believe access to the split nut adjuster screws on the WM240 lathe is via the rear under side of the cross slide.

Thread: Balancing IC engine
02/05/2020 11:12:34

I always used 55% balance ( 50% - 60% is good ) on my 2.5cc & 3.5cc racing 2 stroke glow engines that i made & used to race at around 30000 rpm. Weigh top of rod, then weigh bottom of rod. weigh complete piston assembly ie piston, rings if used,wrist pin,.circlips. Then add the weight of the top half of the rod to the weight of the piston assembly, now take a percentage of 50% - 60% of this weight & then add this weight to the bottom half of the rod. This is the weight that you need to machine a simple round balance weight that will slide onto the crank pin, then sit the crank on 2 parallel knife edges to check the balance & take appropriate material from the crank web to balance. On my particular engines i also used to have to add tungsten slugs opposite the crank pin to get the accurate balance i was looking for at very high rpm. You wont need this on much slower rpm engines though.

Thread: Eunicell SR44 ... These are very cheap, but are they any good ?
29/04/2020 11:54:28

I bought a card of the cheap JCB brand batteries, i needed to change my watch battery that had been used for around 2+ years on its original battery. Cheapo JCB battery that i fitted only lasted about 6 months & had to change again, they were ok to have as a stand by but would not buy again. I have always had good luck with the Tronic button cells that Lidl sell though.

Thread: Parting tool material
26/04/2020 15:16:01

I have just tried a Stellite tool on a magnet & it is not magnetic at all, unlike HSS with 8% cobalt.

Thread: Whatever happened to...
20/04/2020 13:35:48

What happened to Smedleys tinned sausage rolls from the 1960's, they were delicious.

Thread: Which Lathe???
05/04/2020 23:17:23

I have always thought Myfords have been way over priced, as an example Home & Workshop Machinery has a Myford Connoisseur big bore for a whopping £14000 + vat £16800 total.

Thread: How can I remove this mould from painted surface?
02/04/2020 15:14:18

By the way the thick bleach method is only for non porous surfaces.

02/04/2020 14:57:12

By the way the thick bleach method is only for non porous surfaces.

02/04/2020 14:45:24

I tried all the usual mold removal products including HG mold removal & none were that good, this was for the black mold you get on the beads of silicon around the bath + around the silicon bead on PVC frames. Since found out the best way is with thick clear bleach removes all the mold, i dont use anything else now after finding out this was the best solution. You must leave the thick bleach on for at least 24 hours, it is best to put bleach on the area then lay toilet tissue over the bleached area & then add some more bleach onto the tissue & leave to soak for minimum 24 hours. Then simply wipe of with all the mold gone, i find this method keeps black mold away for a couple of years before any returns, dead simple to do & cheap as well. It must be clear thick bleach & not thin.

Thread: Taper reamer
31/03/2020 20:07:50

The one pictured has had its tip broken off or shortened, they come very sharply pointed so that you start the hole with the pointed end when using on plastic. I get mine from Banggood for £6 inc postage, they are called 0-14 mm body reamers.

31/03/2020 19:48:32

By the way Schumacher are also a model car manufacturer, these reamers are available everywhere in various different makes.

31/03/2020 19:42:09

I use one of these taper reamers all the time, they are for making holes or opening them up in the thin molded plastic rc car bodies.

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 20:25:54

We have had good success using the square tube human traps, mouse goes inside the tube where the bait is & his weight tips the tube. This closes the door on the open end of the tube trapping the mouse inside, you either let the mouse go if its still alive at a place of your choosing or do what you will with it. Mice are rather partial to a bit of peanut butter put in the far end of the trap & when the mouse goes in the door shuts. Whenever we have had a mouse we put 2 or 3 of these traps down to increase the chances of tempting the mouse.

Thread: Finally got the milling machine home.
15/03/2020 19:57:36
Posted by old mart on 15/03/2020 19:47:43:

If I didn't already have a large number of carbide endmills, I would be tempted to buy these, great value and not at all bad:

**LINK**

I have a set of these same carbide endmills i got from Banggood, very good quality indeed & cut far far better than my branded hss cutters. Brilliant price as well makes them even sweeter.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
12/03/2020 15:04:01

I have bought loads of lathe insert tool holders + **mt & **gt inserts from Banggood, never had an issue with any of them. There aluminium **gt inserts are excellent & @ around £8 for 10 inserts with free postage are a bargain as far as i am concerned. Also there carbide end mill cutters i find very good indeed especially on harder materials, there bargain price also helps when i can buy a set of 4 or 5 carbide cutters for the price of 1 cutter in the UK. For me personally its a no brainer.

Thread: Amadeal Lathe failed - customer service appalling!
07/03/2020 23:32:09

Check out this unhappy customers dealings with Amadeal customer services & a Mini lathe that had problems.

https://youtu.be/lNrCPzFDuKU

Thread: Mini Benchtop Lathe Dilemma
07/03/2020 23:09:25

The Optimum 180x300 is basically the same as a Warco WM180 or Chester DB7, these are a heavier & all round larger machine ( even though the center height & between centers is the same as the various mini lathes around ). The Proxxon PD250 is an expensive lathe for what it is & very light weight indeed, the materials you list would be a struggle on the Proxxon unless you were taking very minimal cuts.

Thread: Sealing circuit boards with silicone
02/03/2020 20:03:50

Yes hot melt glue will do the job, you can also use Plastidip also. Def do not use any of the acidic silicons like the bathroom & kitchen types. if using silicon use electronics grade silicon, You can also seal with a thin coat of 2 part epoxy glue.

Thread: Four Jaw chuck
23/02/2020 23:18:19

If you go to Youtube & put in centering a 4 jaw chuck, there are some great very fast & accurate ways of centering a 4 jaw very quickly. I use these methods all the time now.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest