By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Hamilton 1

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Hamilton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Recommend a Small Parts Lathe for 2k.
28/11/2019 21:25:04

If you are thinking of the SC4 then i would get one from ARC rather than Axminster as they are cheaper for the same machine, also ARC are a very good company to deal with + Ketan from ARC is often on this forum. To answer questions or any problems.

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
28/11/2019 13:56:52

I only ever used a Calor gas fire once in my 10 x 8 insulated shed which got it toasty warm, never again after the condensation that had formed on every single machine surface in the workshop. I could not believe the amount of water that had formed on every cold metal surface when i went into the workshop the next day, didn't realise at first where all this water had come from. It then dawned on me the moisture from the Calor gas burning, it looked as though everything had been sprayed with water from one of those plant vapour spray bottles. I now use those low wattage tubular electric heaters left on all the time during winter months.

Thread: Reamer size questions
27/11/2019 23:38:05

A lot of the Toolex reamers go up in .005mm increments as well.

27/11/2019 21:44:45

You can get something from toolex.co.uk. They offer metric reamers going up in .01 mm increments, if you want 1 thou under .250" they have 6.33mm or 6.32mm. The 1 thou under 5/32" they offer 3.94mm or 3.93mm.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
18/11/2019 21:56:08

I must say Toolco do seem to be a bit of a strange company, they dont have a single lathe for example in stock out of the range they offer. Been like this for quite some time now, they also had no mills in stock the last time i looked.

Thread: Cutting plastic on Sherline lathe
18/11/2019 21:45:45

As said nice sharp HSS works well on most plastics, i also like using **gt inserts on my Sherline for plastic as well as HSS.

Thread: Tungsten or Alloy Steel Taps and Dies
17/11/2019 16:55:29

There is also a lot of carbon steel taps that are silver colour, but not as shinny as ground hss taps.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
17/11/2019 16:50:39

Both my Mitutoyo & M&W both jump in 0.0005" steps as well.

Thread: Grinding and cutoff discs for angle grinders
15/11/2019 11:16:44

Google Shelf life of Norton grinding wheels, it will take you to Norton's site where they give such info.

15/11/2019 09:44:01

Norton state that resinoid discs have a shelf life of 2 years, this may be further reduced if stored in less than ideal conditions.

Thread: Loctite
12/11/2019 19:47:46

There are obviously industries like aviation/ aerospace + others where in date Loctite would be specified to be a must, for the rest of us it probably dose not apply or matter that much. The problem also with the 2y timeline is when you buy Loctite from a suppliers they sometimes have had it sat on there shelf for some time, when i buy from a local suppliers i always look at the date stamp on the bottle. Most times there is usually around 12-18 months left on the date stamp, if i am buying online i will ask first the expiry date as some have only had a few months left on them & look elsewhere on line for longer date stamps. I figure if i am paying the same price then i might as well have longer in date Loctite even knowing i will still be using the product well beyond the use by dates.

12/11/2019 13:50:58

I spoke to Loctite about shelf life of Loctite a few years ago, each bottle is stamped with a use by date. The shelf life is 2 years from manufacturer date to the date stamped on the bottle, they told me that after the use by date they could not say the product would work as well as the specs state. I still use various Loctites from thread lockers to bearing fit & retainers that in some bottles i have are 10years old down to 3-4 years old & all seem to work for me fine, whether they hold as strong as a in date bottle i have no idea & all i can say is every job i have used the out of date stuff hasn't come apart.

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 clone tailstock alignemnt
10/11/2019 21:40:40

The MD65 was also offered as a Proxxon painted green & Saupe SD300, all the same machines.

10/11/2019 21:26:24

When you say its a clone of the MD65 be aware that the same MD65 lathe was also offered to other named lathes. These lathes had a different name plate on them & some painted a different colour to the original yellow.

Thread: Warco RF-20/25 Milling Machine
03/11/2019 21:32:14

I echo what Dave has said, i have a Naerock 350 mill & the play is back lash between the rack on the back of the quill & the fine feed gear. Mine to has around 24 thou movement up & down on the quill, same as your Warco once you have taken a cut & undo the quill clamp lever the quill drops down the 24 thou pushing the cutter into the work piece. I have not broken any cutters with this happening though, i get around this by not undoing the clamp lever fully when winding the fine feed down to take the next cut. The slight clamping of the quill stops it dropping down & plunging the cutter in the work piece, but still allows the fine feed to move the quill down for the next cut before tightening the clamp lever.

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 13:35:38

I use various means from no fluid to Castrol llocut 486 neat oil or paraffin, i only dab on with a brush when using fluids. llocut 486 neat works very well on most metals & is also non staining, sometimes i also use paraffin on aluminium & brass.

Thread: Myford lathe identification
09/09/2019 16:05:38

A lot of ML10 fix steadies can go for around £230 but there is also one on Ebay for £160 at the moment. A new 4 jaw chuck will also push the price higher.

09/09/2019 13:47:02

I would of thought a nice ML10 long bed c/w 3 jaw chuck, tail stock chuck, fixed steady & face plate ( cant see what is in the blue box sat on the bed ) should be around £1400 - £1500. As an example they have a nice Myford Speed 10 with just a 3 jaw chuck for £1575 + Vat ( £1890 ) @ Home & Workshop Machinery.

Thread: Mystery object
08/09/2019 18:36:05

Piano wire is also what they use to run tethered cars & hydroplanes on, very strong wire indeed but must be looked after re even the slightest kink in the tether wire must be replaced. Needs to be strong when a 16 lbs flash steam hydro is running at over 130mph & an electric tether car is running over 220 mph.

Thread: Myford lathe identification
08/09/2019 18:22:40

Myford ML10, looks like the long bed model in great condition.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest