By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Joseph Noci 1

Here is a list of all the postings Joseph Noci 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Our 10 Day workshop "respite"
29/11/2020 20:07:38

Last post was re how to machine ballscrew ends for bearings - then went on a 10 day wildlife tour, collaring Lions and erecting loggers - for those who may be interested..

Some photos of the terrain we worked in...

The HUAB river near its delta, in the Skeleton Coast Park in Namibia

terrain1.jpg

A permanent Spring in the desert

terrain2.jpg

Desert region where we erected one of the Loggers - Car at the base of a 20meter tall hill, up which I carried the logger and 12 (!!) approx 20kg rocks to anchor the logger!

terrain3.jpg

3 Loggers erected on the trip - top right is the hill in the photo above..

Bottom right was a logger in another area, previously erected - we had to move it as this was the second timer it had been taken down by Hyena...

loggers.jpg

Lions collared in the area - Top photos and bottom left are a trio that stick together - two sisters top, and daughter below left. Bottom right , lion in another area - she was VERY desert-wise - would not succumb to all the tricks we use to lure them to dart, so remains un-collared..

lions.jpg

On route between Logger erection points we were in a river bed, with only a very narrow track to drive, and came upon 7 ELephant, the young calf about 700mm tall..Very cute! - about 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the size of Momma's ear..

We could not pass so backed up and spent the day camped out, waiting for them to move on..

elephant ear.jpg

Thats me, hiding from the wind, sand, dust, sun, etc, while sorting the Loggers downloaded collar data on the Laptop..

downloading.jpg

And just after the Elephant....

dsc_0357.jpg

Some Lichens in the area - pretty stuff..

lichen.jpg

Now back in the workshop, and back to my CNC Lathe build!

Joe

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 29/11/2020 20:12:23

Thread: Windows 10 latest offering
18/11/2020 04:50:07
Posted by Nathan Sharpe on 17/11/2020 23:54:47:

Again thanks to all.

I forgot to add that I'm running 64bit pro. Will it make any diff to user ease of use ? Nathan.

No, won't make a difference - all mine as updated ( 2 desktops, 3 laptops and 3 tablets, see above) are Win10Pro

Joe

Thread: Machining Ball Screws Accurately
18/11/2020 04:48:15

Thanks for all the suggestions - Methinks this is going to be an exercise not to be thought about to deeply!

I am off fitting Lion collars again - back in 10 days so won't be able to login for a while.

Thanks again for all the ideas!

Joe

17/11/2020 20:12:07

It's a sort of chicken and egg thing - I cannot find specs , even on SKF rolled ballscrews, as to the outside diameter accuracy - its the ball bearing surface that is 'accurate', and not the rolled lips on the other diameter. So if that diameter varies by a 5-6 hundredths ( of a mm..) how do you grab that in a chuck ( of any sort) and clock the bearing surface? I guess a close fitting sleeve will be as close to clocked as the rolled lips will permit...

Its a 4mm pitch screw, 16mm OD, so I set it up in a set-true 3 jaw, with about 40mm protruding, and set up the DTI in the tool post, and ran the spindle real slow, maybe 3seconds/rev, with the lathe set for screw cutting a 4mm pitch thread. I set the DTI ball tip nicely on the ballscrew bearing surface. The concept was nice, but I spent hours chasing TIR - the results were repeatably inconsistent! - I could get it down half a division (0.005mm??) over 3 or 4 threads, but if I rotate the ballscrew 180deg in the chuck, its all out - 0.02 to 0.05mm. Rotating the screw back to the clocked position would show anywhere between 0.02 and 0.005...depending exactly how it nestled back into the chuck, etc.

Maybe I am being picky - just clock a good 16mm shaft up, set the chuck true, grip the ballscrew and machine it and be done?

Or use 'proper' fully ground ballscrews..

Joe

17/11/2020 19:19:08

How does one ensure minimum TIR on a rolled ( not purely ground..) ball screw before machining down for bearings, pulleys, etc?

Using a circular ( cylinder style) ball nut to clock on its outside definitely does not work!

Joe

Thread: Windows 10 latest offering
17/11/2020 17:18:49

2 desktops, 3 laptops and 3 tablets, all updated fine, tablets have Samsung SSD's - all running ok, no issues..

Joe

Thread: Bushnell camera problem
16/11/2020 05:25:59

Could Agree with Jeff - Does that 'battery' have a small hole, or gauze material, or some black cloth cover over the face opposite to the wires? It does seem to have such, in the very top photo?

On the other hand, the mic might be the item in the lower photo - the one with the black/red lead between the two halves, ending on the small PCB screwed to the lower half clamshell...

Where does that 'battery' sit? does it just hang in the breeze?

Nathan, we have many trail cameras out in the bundu here( Namibia northen desert regions) - they are in harsh conditions, desert sun, sand storms, etc - they are also carted off by hyena and chewed up...I inevitably end up being the one who (tries) to fix them - Not all have a backup battery - If there is CMOS backup, it is generally to save user specific settings ( photos interval, modes, etc) so that you don't have to re-enter all that guff when you change camera batteries. However, most of the later models use a serial data E*2 Prom - a form of non-volatile memory, and so no battery. So, in devices with backup battery, the failure of that battery normally does not prevent the device from starting up and showing user setup pages on the display...I would also suspect the display connections - some of the display have a silicon rubber/carbon graphite contact strip between the actual glass LCD contacts and the PCB and these have given me endless pain..

Hope you come right!

Joe

Thread: CNC Lathe Scratch Build
14/11/2020 20:11:37

Some Progress on the lathe - Headstock is mostly done. Oil plug and breather hole still to do, and then pulley and collet closer..

The Lathe Concept slowly solidifying as well:

cnc_lathe slant 1.jpg

Exploded spindle with oil flinger rings and face flanges

exploded spindle.jpg

Milling the headstock:

milling headstock.jpg

Drilling / Milling out the Face Flanges on the Automated Rotary table

spotting spindle flange.jpg

Headstock parts ; Spindle, flingers and face flange ( seen from O ring oil seal side, below)

headstock parts1.jpg

milling headstock.jpg

Assembled Headstock, collet end.

headstock collet end.jpg

Test assembly Headstock, drive end.

headstock drive end.jpg

More in a few weeks..

Joe

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
11/11/2020 09:31:34
Posted by Lee Jones 6 on 11/11/2020 08:29:04:

Well this seems to have attracted more attention than I thought it would!

It's interesting to hear that this has been discussed before. That's a telltale sign that something isn't right.

That's a telltale sign that something isn't right - For 3 people out of 30 so far....

11/11/2020 08:17:49
Posted by jaCK Hobson on 11/11/2020 08:04:55:

Significant change would be significant effort and risk.

"if it ain't bust, then don't fix it!"... there are a few people who seem to struggle with adding photos. If it was easier we might get more photos which would be nice. But if this needs a change to a new platform then, 'no rush'.

jaCK, what do mean by easier? I know it is different to just dropping photos inline with your posting, ie, you have to first put them in an album, but I think that has a very positive effect - Makes one consider what photo you are putting into the text, and that it is worth it - and people put lots of photos in albums, lots more than they post about, and its easy to go have a deeper look if interested. It helps a lot in focusing the posts to the subject in the posted photo I think.

And it does not dissuade the posting of photos at all - I mean, I have nearly 1000 photos in albums...

Every other site has its compromises - as does life..

Joe

11/11/2020 05:41:32

Oh Dear...Are you here for the hobby or for the Bling??

Honestly, without exaggeration, it's the worst platform I've worked with.

The owners of the site are very protective of it and don't take kindly to such suggestions. I believe that there are provisions in the terms and conditions to allow heretics that make said suggestions to be tarred and feathered. Expect judgement to be delivered by carrier pigeon.

No problem commenting on the platform I suppose - free speech and all that - but come on guys..you don't contribute anything to the platform other than hope for an ego trip posting what you did today, it costs you naught, there is no member qualification, etc..Do you complain to Google about something on their platform that niggles you?

If the platform really gets your goat, you are free to go elsewhere ...

Joe

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 11/11/2020 05:42:06

Thread: Multifix toolholder Vendors
10/11/2020 10:55:30

Hi Steve,

This thread sums it up :

**LINK**

I purchased many holders, etc - well described in the link above, from Create tool, and the quality is excellent - They all fit the original Multi Suisse toolholder perfectly.

I used size 'A' on a the EMCO 14D a mid size lathe- probably OK on most mid-sized Mini lathes.

They do not cut corners, play games with taxes, invoice price fixing, etc.

All details in that post, and the BOSS said ( on the 13th June 2017 @ 19H21:49 my time)

' Passing on contact details is OK.

Neil'

( maybe the rules are different in 2020..)

Joe

Thread: Which edge finder?
07/11/2020 20:47:54

I hope this is not to far of topic...

I have one of these edge finders -

It has always worked very well, very repeatable and easily set for zero run out. It has a small really oddball battery that fits inside its shaft. However..it no longer works - It relies on electrical contact between shaft and ball tip ( through the machine itself) and then the LED comes on - but the led no longer comes on..

I HAVE checked the battery, tried a new one, looked down the shaft battery hole with slim video camera, cleaned battery contacts, etc...Something has come adrift inside, or the LED has failed...Does anyone know how to open one of the things? I have tried unscrewing the body - there does not seem to be any unscrew witness marks, etc. The 4 grubscrews are to set the ball tip run out only. I did peal off the label strip - no screws hidden under..

I have emailed the company ( Japan) about 10 days ago, but...

Joe

edge finder1.jpg

edge finder2.jpg

06/11/2020 20:00:37

John, Thanks for all the photo's re homing/zero and tool setting sensors.

I am going to see how best to design in at this stage - maybe it ends up simpler that way!

The synchronous detector is worth pursuing - Basically a low level sine wave applied, say, to the tool and a sample of the same applied to a mixer. The second mixer input is from the contact point, ie, the setter in the chuck, and the signal then demodulated and detected for change - this is extended with a lock-in amplifier and can be very sensitive - reliable detection of contact can be with signals below AC mains noise , and other EMC, by 20dB or more...I am using an Analogue devices chip ADA2200 to trial and it looks good! If it works out, it means you can apply the excitation signal and sense point anywhere on any machine, without any electrical isolation of sensor, etc.

We will see..!

Now fighting Labyrinth seals - not easy getting the geometry correct, and even less easy machining the small and narrow tongues and grooves without CNC..

Joe

Thread: Emco FB2 Quirks and Additions
06/11/2020 11:21:25

Graham,

Yes, Thank You. Your suggestion of the use of the test bar was a huge help.

Appreciated!

regards

Joe

06/11/2020 10:36:13
Posted by Martin Connelly on 06/11/2020 08:22:46:

I would be a bit concerned with the encoder being on the motor shaft and not on the spindle. Any slip or effective diameter mismatch on the belt drive will cause issues with things like screw cutting. The fact that you mentioned the encoder on the motor makes me think this is a turning process you are intending to do.

Martin C

Martin,

You are quite correct - stupid idea - the remnant was still in my mind as I had thought of using toothed belts and pulleys originally, but decided against as that imparts unwanted vibration to the setup when run fast - ditched the idea but not the encoder location..I think that idea was flawed anyway, as even the toothed belts do move on the pulley when reversing, albeit slightly.

Kiwi - Bloke..

You know the old gauge-maker's trick of making a relief groove a little way along the gauge (=boss) - where the leading edge of the skewed block would try to dig in, as it binds?

No, I don't - please explain - I am keen to understand that - it seems like it can be a big help! It might not be evident in my photo, but that 'ridge' about 1/3 way down from the top surface of the gauge is the snug fit - the part above and below is 5-6 hundredths of a mm less, and then the 'ridge' is domed, like a torus with the peak diameter being the snug fit - gives some skew leniency, but not much!

Distance between bearings looks a bit mean, and drive belt between bearings might be preferable - albeit less convenient?

When you say 'mean' , do you mean close/narrow? The bearings are 40mm apart - that is narrow, but the bearing is also 90mm OD, so lots support in twist - also , its a 5C collet system, so there wont be any 100mm diameter workpiece in this lathe.. The headstock will be oil filled, bearings must run in oil for the speed, so belt down the center is hugely complicated..and I hope not needed!

John Haine,

Ok, now you have me going... I need to know a lot more about what you have said - it sounds very worth while, esp as I am making my best effort to make a very rigid, fast, and as accurate as possible a machine.. I can PM you, but would you mind if we discussed it here rather? Other folk may be interested and could learn something as well? And maybe it promotes further good ideas from participants as well!

The intent with this lathe is to make it a slant bed, with a tool changer, etc...So from the first rendered view I posted, the tool will sit on the cross slide table, away from the viewer - where is the better place for a hard contact reference? away from the viewer, ie, the rear of the cross slide?

Regarding Z reference to stock end - I am experimenting with a very low-impedance measuring device - basically an ohm-meter, with one contact on the headstock and one on the tool changer, which will then give some indeterminate reading ( 0.1ohm to 10ohm, who knows..-not important) and then detects the drop in resistance when the reference tool tip touches the stock. The ohm-meter is not conventional - its a synchronous detector looking at detection of a differential sinusoidal signal level, etc..capable of resolving a 2 milliohm change, between 10milliohms and 5 ohms.

Another thing I am looking at is a 27 hour day...( or more , if possible..)

Thank you to all for the kind comments - keep them coming - may help me make fewer stupid mistakes!

Joe

05/11/2020 21:55:20

Now the Headstock...

This is a big block of Aluminium - 150x200x100mm - I need a hole through the 100mm depth, 70mm diameter or so, so tried a hole saw - waste of time - just clogs up and takes forever. Drilling and boring out increasing each time was just too much, so I purchased an SDS drive concrete coring bit - 70mm OD. Turned a MT2 taper on the drive shaft ( very nice steel too, that drive shaft!) and sharpened the cemented carbide teeth on the core bit - gave them a good positive rake. Set up in the EMCO FB2 mill and drilled a core out the block - took 31 minutes...

SDS Coring bit - with taper machined on shaft

sds core bit taper.jpg

Teeth sharpened:

positive rake grind.jpg

Front view of teeth:

positive rake grind front.jpg

Making the hole:

coring the hole.jpg

The cored piece..done from both sides - lots of chatter, etc..

the core removed.jpg

Then boring out the hole and boring out for the bearings - rough bore first

boring1.jpg

The bearing boring had to be done from both sides, and I wanted the holes lined up to better than 0.005mm....

So a mill tramming took place, which is covered in Graham's FB2 thread - took 2 days with lots of effort - was worth it!

The idea then was to fit a locating boss to the table, which would snug up into the inner bore. fasten the block down to the table, bore the bearing hole out, and then rotate the block over 180deg, slip over the locating boss, and do the second bearing hole. The boss was made from a hard steel, polished, and 'just' fits in the inner bored hole - it is a real bugger to get the block down on it - cannot be slipped over even a little skew...

The boss:

bore locating boss.jpg

The block slipped over the boss, and checking for center location before final boring of second bearing hole.

final bore setting zero.jpg

The headstock block bored out:

bored thru.jpg

Bearings and spindle test fit:

bearing_spindle test fit.jpg

bearing_spindle test fit2.jpg

Next up - Labyrinth seals...then the bed - in the shaper and more such fun..

More to come..

Joe

05/11/2020 21:53:18

In between many projects I have a long standing one that I have finally made a start on - A 'small' CNC Lathe, build from scratch, not a CNC conversion...

The concept started small, an ER40 Collet spindle, 6000RPM capability, sort of 400mm x 400mm footprint...And then it Grew-some... I have a very nice pair of Taper Roller bearing, P5, but Imperial1-7/8 inch ID and thought to use them so moved to a 5C collet spindle. That allowed larger diameter work, so the bed grew to accommodate - to be made from 140mm wide U channel, 8mm thick. The Headstock to be made from a large chuck of aluminium, 7075 - I decided Aluminium is ok, it will conduct heat away easily, and the intended use is intermittent anyway. And so the size of the machine grew to be bigger than what my Mill is comfortable with and the challenge is now there..

I did some rudimentary 3D design to get basic dimensions, and started by making the spindle and basic headstock assemblies.

Some renderings of the concepts:

cnc_lathe render 1.jpg

cnc_lathe render 2.jpg

The underslung motor is a 1KW 80VDC motor - to be driven by a GECKO servo drive with an encoder fitted , ie, a proper servo drive so the spindle can be positioned to any angle, do screwcutting easily, etc. Brushes don't bother me, again, service is not production...and I have the motor and GECKO drive..

The spindle with end-plate labyrinth seals - spindle bearing will run in oil - I still want 4000 to 5000 rpm out of those big bearings * TIMKEN*..

spindle render1.jpg

spindle render2.jpg

So, with ideas in hand, The hunt for materials began - here in Namibia, that is a BIG challenge!

I found a very nice ( even If I say so myself..) 5C spindle, hidden in a section of broken Rear drive shaft from a large Caterpillar at the local mine vehicle repair 'shop' - I just had to dig the spindle out from the swarf in the shaft...

Spindle all machined, and ground internally, and externally for a very snug bearing fit. 5C collet end seen here.

spindle1.jpg

spindle 5c end.jpg

rear or closer end seen here.

spindle closer end.jpg

Was hidden in a few buckets of this nice shiny blue swarf..The swarf came off HOT, sometimes flaming at the cutting edge, with a shiny smooth cut surface - no idea what the steel is!

taper machining swarf.jpg

Need to spilt into two posts as the thing complains my post is to long...

Next - the headstock..

Joe

Thread: Emco FB2 Quirks and Additions
05/11/2020 20:42:14

Michael, thanks for that link - I 'dabble' in this field and was not aware of that!

Joe

05/11/2020 11:02:29
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 05/11/2020 08:45:24:

But you'll end up scraping the head swivel faces, won't you? Actually, I don't think it's as bad a job as you fear - measurements of lack of parallelism aren't too difficult on this fairly lightweight and easily-dismantled machine. (The head's not that heavy,) HAH!

Just to spoil everything with a damper... Have you checked for lack of head rotation about the column, as the head is fed vertically? The key, and/or its housing in the column isn't perfectly straight on my FB-2. Who said accuracy was easy?

BTW, how do you get hold of things like your enviable test bar where you are? Stuff like that seems to be made from Unobtainium here in NZ...

The head is more than heavy enough! Also, for fear of overdoing it, I would scrape too little, and work my way up to it - which means 3, 4, or more fit and test trials..This head will NEVER rotate again on the column, so for the medium to long term - the shim stays!

Regarding head rotation around the column - that would happen if the keyway in the column was not machined straight down the side, or was unevenly worn on one edge somehow. But my tests verified the lack of a problem by default - when doing the head roll test ( East_West) with the DTI on the column, if the head spiralled down the column, it would be impossible to get a zero reading on the DTI when moving the head up and down, just by adjusting the head East_West tilt or roll.

The test bar - abt 4 years ago I purchased an EMCO 14D lathe from EMCO in Austria, and as that was a huge amount of bother - on a ship for 3 months, road transport in Namibia from the harbour, etc...I though I would get ALL the accessories for the Lathe while about it - the spindle and tailstock test bars were part of it...( well , almost all accessories ..money prevented all...no taper turning attachment, and a few others..)

Joe

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 05/11/2020 11:02:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest