By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Gould 1

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Gould 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chilled cast Iron - a small Rant
02/06/2020 12:43:52

I am a novice but was told that the best way around this is to take a heavy cut. Otherwise the tool skates on the chilled outside.

Mark

Thread: Newbie trying to thread
02/06/2020 11:45:28

Hi Martin,

Correct, I wasn't cutting a left hand thread on the way back for the reason you state. I was messing up the right hand thread on the reverse pass.

Mark

02/06/2020 11:03:14

Micky, many thanks, yes that must be it indeed as Brian and David also said.

Upwards and onwards!

Mark

02/06/2020 10:42:35

David and Brian, many thanks, I will persevere and report back. I’ll try and cut an M20 in aluminium just so I can a little better at what is happening.
Thanks again,

Mark

02/06/2020 10:05:10

Gents,

After reading Brian Woods book on the 33t and 34T threading possibilities for the Myford S7 I made the drop arm required to lower the banjo slightly and set up to cut a thread. Work piece was supported by a half dead center.

I had a go at an M10 x 1.5 and the results were terrible, I couldn't even call it a thread. More like a train wreck. This is what I did. Please let me know if my thinking is on the right track here.

Half nuts left engaged the whole time. I used the "jog" function I have and took a first pass which conformed 1.5mm pitch. I then reversed the machine and dragged the tool over the first thread. This buggered everything up. Was this because of backlash in the gear train? Should I have retracted the tool first, then reversed everything, moved the tool back in and only then taken another pass?

Am I right in assuming that you can't just reverse a gear train set up and expect the tool to pass over the exact same scratches you just made?

Sorry for the silly question, all help is much appreciated,

Mark

Thread: Single point threading
30/05/2020 14:40:07

Good point Martin, I actually have one of those and would have never even considered it.

Mark

Thread: Myford 254 Hand Turning Rest
22/05/2020 07:33:00

Looks like a nice piece of kit you've made Richard. Which tools do you play using when hand turning?

Mark

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
21/05/2020 22:30:07

Your progress looks excellent! I did started my first Stuarts 2 years ago and have only just completed it. Go slow and it'll turn out beautifully. You seem to know what you're doing so no worries there

Mark

Thread: Emco FB-2 Spindle lock
21/05/2020 21:27:14

Gents,

I have completed the spindle lock for my FB-2 mini milling machine. Graham Meeks excellent design solves the problem of not having 3 hands.

@mods, if you are able, please rotate the last 2 pics. The forum software has turnend them.

Regards,

Mark

Here are some photos:

img_4241.jpg

img_4242.jpg

img_4243.jpg

img_4252.jpg

img_4253.jpg

Thread: Morse tapers
10/05/2020 22:19:33

Thanks everyone for the info!

Mark

08/05/2020 16:39:32

Thanks Mike!

08/05/2020 08:40:12

Hi and thanks for your answers,

Michael, by whacking I mean engaging the taper in the spindle. This is done by hand, not with any percusive violence! No tools involved Having said that, I am aware that MT tooling is supposed to be self holding but surely not a milling cutter in a collet chuck? Perhaps i should have added that my question relates to operation with a milling machine.

David, it is an Emco FB-2 mini mill. Ejecting a drill chuck is via a pushbar from the top. I hold the spindle with a crappy spanner and turn the top not up on the Top of the spindle to eject the chuck. (I am milling Graham Meeks spindle lock this week to solve this irritation)

Thanks again,

Mark

08/05/2020 08:20:53

Gents,

I have been using MT tooling for a few years now and have recently run into doubts about whether or not I am using it correctly. Please let me know if this is correct:

When using MT tooling without a drawbar (like a drill chuck) I whack the tapered shank up into the spindle and drill my holes. No worries there.

When using MT tooling that requires a drawbar (like a collet chuck or slitting saw arbor) however I do it differently. I lightly hold the taper and insert the drawbar and use the drawbar to pull the taper in until tight. Should I be whacking this in too and using the drawbar only to keep it from falling out?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Thread: Arc's Website - Is it Just Me?
08/05/2020 08:13:34

I placed an order yesterday without problems too.

Mark

Thread: Digital callipers shows time not distance
24/03/2020 12:50:19

Are you sure it’s hours, minutes and seconds? It could still be showing size, just in degrees, minutes and seconds. Have to be pretty big mind you

Mark

Thread: Super 7 lubrication
06/03/2020 10:59:08

Sam,

Do yourself a favour and click on the link https://haythornthwaite.com/184%20Myford%20Lubrication.pdf

it’s an excellent guide to lubrication of your Myford.

Mark

Thread: T slot cutter of woodruff cutter?
04/03/2020 21:11:14

Again, these are photo’s Graham himself has put up here so I hope he doesn’t mind me re-posting them.

Mark

04/03/2020 21:10:03

Phil,

Here are 2 photos showing the device installed. I think it’s quite an elegant design and although a lot of material needs to be removed, what you are left with is an effective device for solving the annoying problem of not having 3 hands.

Mark

32b22623-72c3-4008-b7be-291cf6ea350c.jpeg
49f5a0b4-11a1-4784-bb0a-1bdd249b206a.jpeg

04/03/2020 18:22:33

Ok thanks to you both,

Mark

04/03/2020 06:38:09

Thanks all for the advice. I will look at an appropriate woodruff cutter and proceed carefully. My plan is, as you have advised to get everything out of the central slot with an end mill first and then do each “side slot” separately.

@Tony, how should I stress relieve it?

Mark

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest