By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Philip Burley

Here is a list of all the postings Philip Burley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: regulator material
16/11/2018 15:05:16

I am starting to make a screw down regulator for a small loco , What materials would be best for the valve ? Bronze for the base and stainless for the taper part was what I was thinking of What do others use ?

regards Phil

Thread: Tich
25/10/2018 20:06:51

I just wonder if any one has a copy of the drawing of the big boiler Tich , or a photo copy . Only the boiler details are needed , the drawing in the book is a bit small for my eyesight !!!!!

regards Phil

Thread: tich
17/10/2018 05:42:47

I only have the drawings on here , I will have to try and print them off and enlarge them . But has anyone made a screw down regulator for a Tich ?

16/10/2018 18:26:35

if I can blow up that drawing for one off a Firefly it would probably be ok . Problem is how to enlarge it !

16/10/2018 12:22:14

Hello , I am about to start to make a regulator for a big boiler Tich , I would like to make a screw down type as it looks simpler . Has any one any experience of one ?. I have seen several drawings , but they all seem to be drawn by people who know what they are doing for people who know what they are doing . Any fully explained designs available for us beginners ?

regards Phil

Thread: Prees model engineer
30/09/2018 16:50:03

I just wonder if the Man from Prees who had his steam engines on show at the Malpas show is on this site ? If you are will you please contact me . we spoke about the reversing gear on your ST No 4

Regards Phil Burley ,

Thread: plans and book value?
08/07/2018 09:41:56

if you still want the LC Mason book featuring Minnie , you7 can have mine for £10 posted

regards

Thread: piston rings
19/06/2018 20:41:07

How could I reduce the thickness of a piston rings from 3./16 to 1/8 inch with out a proper grinder

regards

Thread: piston clearances
08/06/2018 15:50:26

I ran the engine on the lathe with plenty of oil down the cylinder , and now it will run OK . Needs plenty of air though, my little compressor will hardly keep up . Its satisfying when it first works isn't it !!!
regards

07/06/2018 08:42:58

a bit more than that when relaxed , I think they are just too expanded ,

regards Phil

07/06/2018 07:24:21

I checked the clearance yesterday , 4 thos , its a 2 inch bore , the piston is in 2 halves , with 2 rings between them . The rings are free to turn when the piston halves are screwed together and clear at bottom of the groves . The rings do seem to excessively tight when pushed into the bore , , more like rings for a rebore of + 20 . I guess if I run it in on the lathe it will bed in . ( I hope ) These rings from ST are expensive , I might have a try at making some , I have a suitable piece of CI . PS the cylinder was honed with an expanding hone device and it's not undersize

Regards

05/06/2018 19:09:47

I have built a Stuart Turner No 1 , iron piston in iron cylinder , The piston slides up the bore with a light push . When assembled with out rings the engine turns over easily , but with the rings in it's extremely tight . The rings have a small gap and clearance at the bottom of the grove and free to move in the grove . Should I hone out the cylinder a bit more ? How much piston clearance should there be ? PS the rings a a Stuart Turner product

regards

Thread: cladding
20/05/2018 11:28:23

that looks like a plan . thanks for the idea

20/05/2018 08:06:38

probably only test steaming , nothing too serious , trying to get the strips to fit between the flanges , so not a firm base to work on

20/05/2018 07:39:50

I want to clad a cylinder with wood strips , there is an irregular gap underneath them . What would be a good filler ? fire clay maybe or bathroom sealant has been mentioned , any ideas ?

regards

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
13/05/2018 06:37:54

thinking about it , I suppose it might be worth changing the condenser first , see what that does , as I would still have to get one anyway

13/05/2018 06:32:11

sounds logical , The condenser on the mimi Wypac flywheel mag is a brass tube behind the points , I can feel a bit of a shock but not enough to generate a spark , I expect after 60 years the insulation has broken down , So I will find a small Honda style coil and condenser and see what I can come up with , Thanks for explaining in simple terms how to do it . My cars have been diesels and my mower is electronic , Regards Phil

12/05/2018 17:20:03

To go to the other extreme , My son has had a Power Pac !950 s . bike engine given him . , Cant get a spark on it though . I expect the coil had had it , How can I adapt the points system to an external coil and battery ?

regards

Thread: piston
08/04/2018 12:23:22

no of course ,I remember that the previous engines I have made have had the ports drilled from the ends so they would be uncovered

regards

08/04/2018 12:20:16

that sounds like a scheme , I can do that OK , Then my piston will be OK . Thanks ever so , I was getting worried that had made a disaster , but I couldn't work out where . The must have been hundreds of No 1 s made to presumably they will work with the ports covered at the ends of the stroke , but must be better to be able to exhaust all the steam

regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest