By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jack Tapper

Here is a list of all the postings Jack Tapper has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chester 920 compound slide gib
11/02/2019 13:33:14

Afternoon all,

I have a chester 920 from the late 90's which has a bent compound slide gib strip (No idea how it happened). I got in touch with chester and brought a new one but the sizes are completely different (10mm longer and over 1mm thicker).

I'm pretty new to engineering and only have a mini lathe / hand tools. So I feel making a new one is out of my ability.

Any suggestions on how I can get it sorted?

Thanks

Thread: Mini lathe speed and tailstock question
16/10/2018 17:56:57

Evening all,

I've found the missing RPM's!

The white dot in my picture is in fact a magnet. There are four in total around the spindle nut but in my case two where partially covered by a black substance.

After cleaning it up the readout is now showing the correct numbers.

Thanks for the help gents, I'm sure I'll be back soon with some more beginner questions

14/10/2018 16:44:47

Thanks for the reply's everyone,

The dead centre doesn't actually have a tang but my drill chuck arbor does and the quill has to be extended about 30mm for the taper to grab so I'll definitely cut that tang off..

I'm still a bit lost on the speed as I have tried forward and reverse and both are running at the same speed as mention above. I do think Dave might be right about the speed readout.

I've uploaded a picture in my albums of the tachometer sensor. It looks like it is pointed at the 2 nuts on the back of the spindle when there is a dot on one of the nuts. Next time I have the gear cover off I'll check if there is another dot.

I should say I'm guessing the tachometer is optical and looking for the change of colour instead of looking for magnets.

13/10/2018 19:55:45

Evening everyone,

I've finally got my 'Warco new super mini lathe' up and running today and after taking some test cuts I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

First, my mini lathe has a brushless motor but still uses a High and low gear selector on the back of the headstock. When I have it in low gear the speed tops out at 600 rpm and in high about 1250 rpm. This seems to be half of what I expected? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious.

Secondly, the tailstock won't hold onto the dead centre unless it is extended about 15mm out. It seems the pin that should push the tool out when the quill is fully retracted is activating way to early.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thread: Warco Mini lathe
16/07/2018 20:37:50

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

MickB1, It moves nice and easy everywhere besides what one spot sadly.

JasonB, Access is extremely limited on the front saddle plate without taking off the apron so I don't see any other way of adjusting it without some disassemble. It is a well documented process for example Frank hoose has a series called "Adjusting the saddle plates" on youtube.

My gut tells me it's a bed grinding issue, as MickB1 suggested, so I'll get in touch with Warco tomorrow.

16/07/2018 19:38:32

Evening all, I'd like to start by letting everyone know I'm brand new to metalwork and require some advice on my mini lathe.

I took delivery of a new mini lathe from warco this weekend and have noticed something that doesn't feel quite right. When I move the carriage up and down the ways I've got a bit of a tight spot about 100mm away from the chuck. It's not like it completely binds up but I can instantly notice it and have to apply more strength to turn the hand wheel.

I've began to disassemble the lathe anyway to remove the shipping grease. I've removed the leadscrew and the apron and it feels about the same when I move the saddle by hand over that area.

Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Thread: Got a Good Story About Buying a Lathe?
05/06/2017 12:27:32

In March this year a 'Restored sheraton lathe' (A copy of the Southbend model A 9" lathe, made in Australia) appeared on ebay fairly locally so I watched in expecting it to sell quickly. The weekend approaching still not sold so I decided I'd send the seller an email and arrange a visit expecting it to be in someone's workshop or garage. To my surprise when I google the address the seller provided it was at the Norton motorcycle factory in Castle Donington!

On the Saturday we traveled down and spent a good 3 hours having a chat and tour around the place. I have no experience in the metalworking industry (I work in a joinery shop programming a CNC router) and I'm not particularly into motorcycles but the work I saw was fantastic and the 3 hours flew by. The chap selling the lathe mentioned that they were preparing to bring in CNCs hence the sale of the lathe and sure enough they have some pictures on there facebook page a week or 2 after I was there of the CNCs arriving.

I did buy the lathe on the day so the chap loaded it into his van and delivered it to our shop for nothing.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest