By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike E.

Here is a list of all the postings Mike E. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is it?
13/05/2017 16:42:43

The tailstock seems to be reversed, and by the addition of a belt drive on it, it looks similar to a glass blowing lathe.

Thread: Centec 2 drop arm dimensions or for sale
12/05/2017 09:14:19

Have a look on the quillstar.co.uk used tools site, and scroll down to the very bottom of the page. Currently they show a pallet load of Centec parts which includes an overarm with an arbor support. You might want to give them a call to see if its compatible with your needs.

Thread: Opus die filer
09/05/2017 23:28:32

I learn something every day. Thanks Graham, that's a good trick to know.

09/05/2017 20:19:47

Opus 120 Die Filer

Behind the large pulley in my previous photo, there is a tray which catches waste oil that drips down from the reciprocating mechanism. Attached to the metal tray is a plastic tube which runs down inside the casting to a small reservoir. Its kind of a mickey mouse feature, and would leave a mess on the floor if you don't check it often.

Opus 120 Die Filer

Edited By Mike E. on 09/05/2017 20:25:31

Edited By Mike E. on 09/05/2017 20:32:52

Edited By Mike E. on 09/05/2017 20:34:14

09/05/2017 20:03:19

Opus 120 Die FilerOpus 120 Die Filer

I had a closer look at the filer today and took a few more photos. It has an overall height of 5 feet, and a comfortable table elevation of 44 inches. The hand wheel on top of the casting releases and tensions the belt on the pulley system for changing the stroke rate.

Opus 120 Die Filer

Edited By Mike E. on 09/05/2017 20:04:27

Edited By Mike E. on 09/05/2017 20:05:19

Thread: Unheated garage ok for a lathe?
09/05/2017 08:32:27

Thank you for your reply Martin. I've recently submitted an application to Planning for a new garage/workshop to be built. I'm going to take on board some of your suggestions, but still put in a wood burning stove as it will give a bit of old world ambiance and the comfort that I enjoy; especially when friends come by to visit or see what I am up to.

Cheers

08/05/2017 22:14:51
Posted by Martin 100 on 08/05/2017 20:28:29:

.......................... Resist the temptation to heat it with a woodburner, in fact resist the temptation to heat it at all with fossil fuels or electric. ...........................

Why ? I'm just an old person trying to understand.

08/05/2017 21:02:31

I would have thought metal to metal contact between the file and roller would be an issue, glad it isn't. The idea of attaching metal banding to the back of a file is interesting, using something like liquid steel or J.B. Weld I would presume. One could also carefully grind the back portion of a file smooth.

Here is a photo of the Opus 120 hold down brackets, folded flat for the picture. The ball stud at the top of the bracket on the right side is for mounting the air blower tube, to remove filings as they occur.

Opus 120 Die Filer

07/05/2017 22:44:45

Hello codger,

I look forward to the photos of your engine conversion filer. It would also be interesting to see some photos of your Opus 120 machine.

Thread: What's the most dangerous tool in your workshop
07/05/2017 17:39:16

The most dangerous tool is a brain that is tired. face 17

07/05/2017 16:30:48

Hmmm? I seem to be having trouble posting photos correctly. Sorry.

07/05/2017 16:28:44

Opus 120 Die FilerOpus 120 Die Filer

The saw guide consists of two offset arms which attach on the upper and lower end of a dovetail bracket running vertically on the left side of the machine. On the end of the arms, are a type of universal joint which holds a small slotted blade guide; all made from tool steel. Only one pair came with the kit, which are both numbered # 4. Other sizes were obviously made to accommodate saw blades of a different thickness, but will probably as difficult to find as a Polar Bear in the desert; so I guess I'll have to make some.

The saw blade clamps are a simple box shape with set screws to hold the blades. Opus 120 Die Filer

Edited By Mike E. on 07/05/2017 16:38:10

Edited By Mike E. on 07/05/2017 16:39:08

Edited By Mike E. on 07/05/2017 16:39:31

07/05/2017 15:49:29

Opus 120 Die FilerOpus 120 Die FilerI've given a light cleaning to some of the accessories which came with the Opus 120 filer, and have posted some photos of them them in my album. I plan to do a full strip down, service, and repaint when I have the time, but that's after I get the new garage is built.

The filer doesn't appear to be limited to using a specialized type of file to fit its holders, and can use standard hand files of different shapes and lengths; but with an easy modification by grinding the tips slightly to fit the lower arm of the machine.

Opus 120 Die Filer

07/05/2017 15:01:17
Posted by OuBallie on 05/05/2017 10:01:54:

Mike E,

There is a 'roller" at the end of the over arm, that supports the file.

Excel Filing Machine

Geoff - Last modification to sandblasting cabinet done.

Hello OuBallie,

So would it be correct that the back of the file which contacts the roller has to be smooth, with out teeth ?

Thread: Square center
05/05/2017 18:12:40

Posted by Sandgrounder on 05/05/2017 15:54:16:

Posted by John Haine on 05/05/2017 12:43:26:

Ordered Monday, arrived yesterday, used today, job done! Good seller too.

The same for me, a good purchase.

+ 1

Agreed, good product, good seller, arrived quickly.smiley

04/05/2017 23:21:50

The Opus 120 was delivered late this afternoon. Its a heavy beast, and except for looking tired and being a bit greasy and dirty, everything moves smoothly and it seems to be in very good condition. The seller disassembled parts which could have worked loose in shipment and put them all in a box to prevent possible loss.yes The accessories included a dozen file holders, 16 various files, a couple of saw blade holders, top and bottom saw guide brackets, and a wrench. All in all, I'm happy with the purchase.

I took several quick photos and will post them in my album until I can post better detailed ones after I clean things up a bit.

Thread: Alfred Herbert Surface Grinder
04/05/2017 16:56:42

Hi Mark R.

Thanks for the offer on your camel back kit, I'll keep it in mind. It will be awhile before I will be able to strip down and go through the surface grinder. The grinder along with my other machinery resides in our storage unit until I can get my garage/workshop completed and three phase power set up. I am located in South Wales.

Hello John C.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your machine. Thanks for the tip on prepping wheels. The machine I have has calibrations on both the knee and the cross slide hand wheels; there is a thumbscrew on each which allows setting to zero or any value in between.

Hi Robjon,

It's nice to know that your only issue is with the colour, lol. I have a couple of cans of green sign painters paint which I have coveted closely for years. A light coat gives a very smooth and durable finish, as it magically self levels; hence most of my better accessories are painted green. Sorry. Interesting you mention about a universal swivel vice, as I have been looking for a small good quality one at a reasonable price.

Cheers Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

03/05/2017 20:05:22
Posted by John C on 18/07/2015 09:08:19:

I was fortunate enough to acquire an Alfred Herbert surface grinder and I would like to find out more about the machine - there is no manual and a search of t'interweb gives no results.

Does anyone recognise the machine?

Thanks in advance,

John

Edit - sorted photo out!

img_0427.jpg

img_0424.jpg

img_0425.jpg

Edited By John Corden on 18/07/2015 09:17:40

Hi John,

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in as yours is the only thread about these machines..

I acquired a Herbert Jr. surface grinder recently, and feel fortunate also. I've posted some photos in an album. I believe the model I have is of a later vintage, although not sure what year it was manufactured, It has the larger knee and a built in lubrication system, is in very good condition overall, and the table glides back and forth effortlessly. My thoughts about getting a manually operated machine were that, wear should be minimal compared to those with a table drive.

The magnetic chuck I have, a Walker - Hagou, is larger than the 5" x 10" chuck these grinders came standard with. I'm thinking about having the chuck surface ground professionally, bottom and top, as that should give me a good indication of table accuracy after its mounted.

Have you had favourable results with your machine, and did you find it a worthwhile investment for your shop ?

Thanks, Mike

Thread: Square center
02/05/2017 21:04:07

I just bought one too. New old stock ? Worth a punt for about a fiver with free postage. smiley

02/05/2017 01:12:31

Even grown up, the industrial size filers do not appear to take up much floor space. Guess I'll find out this week. smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest