By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike E.

Here is a list of all the postings Mike E. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Shaper madness
23/10/2016 20:35:15

I like my shaper, but that one would be a nice machine to have, especially with the rotating table option. smiley

Thread: Tom Senior Light Vertical Milling Machine
20/10/2016 11:57:58
Posted by damian noble on 14/10/2016 12:49:30:

Hi all

Been a while since I updated the thread as I've had a few other things get in the way of finishing up.

I've finally got the mill back together and with a new name plate its ready for wiring up which will be the job for this weekend.

20161014_123724.jpg

Hi Damian, First, let me say that Dorothy & I enjoyed meeting you at the Star Party in Brecon. The mill looks great !, and so does that large mirror support behind it. Did the adjustable feet come with the machine (mine are missing) or did you have to acquire them separately ?

Thread: Lidl Radio Controlled Clock Repairs.
07/10/2016 15:54:31
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/10/2016 17:35:39:

Posted by Mike E. on 06/10/2016 17:13:20:

Can't understand why its not picking up what should be a stronger local signal ?

That's easily explained, though the answer won't help much. All time signals are sent in UTC (effectively British winter time), and this is adjusted for time-zone and daylight saving by the local clock. For some reason your clock doesn't believe it's in the UK.

I'm surprised that someone's selling clocks that can't change time-zone. I wonder if there's a non-obvious way of doing it hidden away in the instructions somewhere?

Dave

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I've looked through the instructions to no avail, but will try once more.

06/10/2016 17:13:20

Hmmm, guess I'm not the only one then. Several weeks ago I purchased a small AURIOL cube radio controlled clock ( 70 x 60 x 50mm) from Lidl. It's features also included day, date, and temperature in both C* or F*, which was why I bought it.

The issue I have is that it automatically sets itself to a time zone which is 6 hours away, and even if I set it manually, within 24 hours it will reset itself to the other time zone. Can't understand why its not picking up what should be a stronger local signal ?

Thread: What Makes a Good Photo for Model Engineers' Workshop
05/10/2016 10:35:09

Nice article Neil. yes

Thread: A burning question
26/09/2016 15:27:47

Ahhh, then it has served you and your Dad admirably and is now ready for retirement. smiley

Lets hope the younger generation of torches will last until the next century. wink

26/09/2016 11:21:21

Can you make a threaded adapter ?

Thread: BANG!
24/09/2016 23:39:57

" BANG ! "

The only important thing is, nobody got hurt. smiley

Thread: Best vice
23/09/2016 09:36:32

Have a look here.......

Google Swindens Vice.

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
21/09/2016 18:08:47
Posted by Nobby on 21/09/2016 12:55:27:

I sometime uses my Drummond hand shaper for surface grinding
Nobbydrummond shaper

Surface grinding on a shaper? That's an interesting idea, but would have to be approached cautiously under power. Food for thought, as I have a small tool post grinder.

Can't add much to what's already been mentioned, but it's nice to see that a lot of old machines are being restored and used. Shapers really are not obsolete, as they can still do jobs that the machines which superseded them can, and with simple and less expensive cutters.

I have an Ammco 7" shaper of World War 2 vintage, and although it doesn't get a lot of use, its one of my favourite tools, doesn't take up a lot of room, and considered a lifetime keeper. Last year it made a long voyage with other selected tools across the big pond, and is in storage until my new 350 sq. ft. garage / workshop is built.

Sorry about the picture quality, but at the moment I only have a couple of old photos of the shaper in the Album I started; one where it can be seen at the back of my old garage, and the other which I took for an inventory purpose. I'll post better photos once the new shop is set up.

Thread: Hello Everyone
19/09/2016 15:50:04
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/09/2016 15:22:31:

Hello Mike, welcome aboard!

Tracked us down then

Neil

Yes thanks, glad to be here. yes

19/09/2016 13:11:59

It's nice to be among kindred spirits here. I'm a long time amateur machinist, and have been a jack of many trades in the construction industry. My equipment is old school, as well as my knowledge, but I have learned a few tricks over the years, and enjoy creating bespoke items.

Presently my shop equipment is in storage until the new garage/workshop is built. Basic machines include a Boxford AUD lathe, Ammco shaper, Tom Senior universal mill, Baldor tool grinder, and my Rockwell Delta drill press which was the first machine I ever owned; my dad bought it for me to restore when I was a kid. Fifty years later, and I still have it.

My main project interests once I get things up and running will be live steam and astronomy related projects. Until then, I look forward to participating here and sharing what I can, and when I can.

Also, I would like to thank Neil for letting me know about The Model Engineer forum.

Cheers, Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest