By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil Stevenson

Here is a list of all the postings Phil Stevenson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Olympic Class liners - building the engines
30/01/2017 19:18:11

Jason, thank you so much for posting this. My grandfather was a turner at Harland and Wolff and worked on the Titanic, and probably her sister ships. I have very clear memories of him trying to get me as a small boy to understand the size of the pistons he worked on; he also told me of the news coming through of the sinking. No-one believed the story for some time, such was their faith in the ship. His voice was still full of emotion half a century after the tragedy. I have one or two of his tools, almost certainly from his time as H&W as he worked their all his life. I'll study the pictures in some detail - might even spot someone I know! Thanks again - very special pictures for me.

Thread: A Triumph for BSA
24/01/2017 16:43:29

The Tiger Cub was a Triumph. I owned one in the late 60s. Various incestuous goings on between Triumph and BSA around then but as far as I'm aware no Cub was ever (officially) badged BSA. I paid £24 for it - wish I still owned it; they go for many times that nowadays.

Thread: Bright vs mild steel and 'bananaring'
23/01/2017 17:08:31

I use Rapid Metals in Redditch but they have a branch in Coventry - I've found them very helpful and well priced. If I'm looking for something in particular I phone and ask but then I'm a newbie and not that discerning .... http://www.rapidmetals.co.uk/

Thread: Wood Turning Book recommendations
19/01/2017 17:58:33

I'm a newbie to working metal but have been wood turning for many years. Those book recommendations are as good today as they were when originally posted. I'm not familiar with the Picador lathe I'm afraid so can't help. What I would strongly recommend however is that you search out your local branch of the Association of Woodturners of Great Britain and go along to a meeting. https://www.awgb.co.uk/ Hands on help is a thousand times more valuable than reading books or watching Youtube. I wish I could find a similar local group to help me improve my metal turning!

Thread: Hello from a newbie - and questions about a vertical milling slide
14/11/2016 19:49:54

Ian, thanks a lot for this tip. I've spent some time today making a simple little flycutter and playing with the vertical slide. It works(!) but again the workpiece (15mm square aluminium) wouldn't hold particularly well for the reason you highlight. The three bolts in the top block just shove everything out of alignment as you have to keep snugging them up. Your idea of a backing plate seems an excellent solution (I hope!) and I'll definitely give it a go. The more I think about it the more I feel a little vice is the right answer but I'll wait for the next show as I like to have a proper fondle of these things before I commit! I'll add some pics when I have something presentable.

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Pitch?
13/11/2016 16:31:36

Result, Jason and Fizzy! Thanks - I'll order a fine tooth blade and give it a go.

13/11/2016 08:28:07

That's great Neil, really useful. Many thanks.

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Pitch?
12/11/2016 19:22:49

Sorry to elbow my way into this thread but as a newbie, can I ask if I can cut metal on a woodworking bandsaw? It's single speed and suppliers sell correct length blades of various kinds and various tpi, some of which are described as suitable for metal but I'm somewhat sceptical. Any thoughts / experience? I'm not thinking of cutting anything beyond thin-ish brass, aluminium, etc not thumping great lumps of steel.

12/11/2016 19:16:26

Ian / Clive, thanks for your input. Ian, I'm not sure I quite understand your backing plate - have you got a pic by any chance? Yes, I think my milling will generally be flat surfaces so a fly cutter may well be the best option in many cases - another project for me! Clive, I'm aware of the solidity issue of the saddle on the mini lathe and I believe there is an upgrade on Youtube by Steve Jordan which I must investigate further. My efforts at set up are attempts at having the cutter milling down an edge - ie pushing the workpiece down on to the saddle rather than pulling up. Again, apologies if that isn't clear but I'm trying to apply Steve Jordan's logic of minimising any force that exacerbates the instability of the saddle.

Again, thanks for the help - it's is so useful for me to get advice like this when I'm fumbling along on my own!

12/11/2016 15:41:49

Thanks for that tip - yes I will check correct alignment with a dial when I'm making a real part rather than just practising. I don't know if there are many, or any, woodturners on here but it's a different world in terms of accuracy! With wood "about an inch" is often fine - I'm having to learn to get my head around a thou with a piece of metal...

12/11/2016 12:40:18

Pics as requested (my photography is about as bad as my metal working). Hope this makes sense. The mounting plate is bolted to the swivelling mount which normally holds the compound; it seems to hold well and allows me to adjust the vertical slide to ensure it is square (I marry it up against the chuck face, then tighten it down - is that a sensible methodology?) The mounting plate already has three mounting positions for the slide to offer me different movement options as the travel of the vertical slide on the x axis is very limited - x-axis is across the bed, yes?

Yes Jason I can already see the benefits of a decent small clamp despite my newly added larger clamps - I'm going to check that out.

pa280019.jpg

pb120001.jpg

pa270012.jpg

pb120002.jpg

Edited By Phil Stevenson on 12/11/2016 12:46:55

12/11/2016 10:24:22

Hi everyone - I'm a raw beginner to metal wrestling although I've been turning wood for 25+ years. I bought a mini lathe a few months ago and have built two little engines (Elmer type things), both of which run although they are a little bit rough around the edges (literally!). I haven't the room or mullah to get a milling machine so I bought a vertical slide from Warco and it seems a solid little thing. I haven't any huge ambitions for milling anything massive, just small pieces of brass and aluminium and I have made a mounting plate to fix the vertical slide to my cross slide. I have lots of pics btw if anyone is interested. First results a re mixed to say the least - very fiddly to set up but my main problem seems to be around stability and holding the work adequately (just a small piece of aluminium). I am using a new cutter in the 3-jaw chuck ( I know I should use a collet but the 3-jaw seems OK so far). Has anyone set up and used a similar slide successfully? Are there any guides on-line I could reference, or anything on Youtube? I've searched but not found much. Also, what speed should I ave the lathe at - it's an 8mm 4 flute cutter? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Edit - blow me but as soon as I posted this I saw another thread on just this subject which I will of course study. Any help with specific reference to a mini lathe would still be much appreciated.

Edited By Phil Stevenson on 12/11/2016 10:31:58

Thread: Is this metal lathe worth it for 145?
18/06/2016 21:47:33

I'm another newbie weighing up the pros and cons of small entry level lathes. No-one has mentioned the Chester Conquest http://www.chesterhobbystore.com/conquest-lathe-3965-p.asp. It seems very good value or am I missing something?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest