By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Graham Swales

Here is a list of all the postings Graham Swales has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi from Cheltenham
16/02/2019 17:49:56

Sorry folks for the double posting. Finger trouble I guess. Grum 

Edited By Graham Swales on 16/02/2019 17:57:31

16/02/2019 17:49:54

Steve. Have a quick Google for MSRVS. Model Steam Road Vehicle Society. Really friendly bunch with lots of help and assistance available. Grum

Thread: If you bought this lathe what would you do?
12/12/2018 13:02:16

Good luck.

My replacement mill, apparently checked over by Chester's Chief Engineer was worse than the original..... Oh yes the motor in the replacement machine was fried on delivery as well.

Personally I would always go for a "green machine" - based on multiple purchases for home and work.

Graham

Thread: MSRVS Annual Show
15/06/2018 21:04:30

The Model Steam Road Vehicle Society (MSRVS) is holding its annual show over the weekend of 23rd and 24th June at the Tewkesbury Rugby Club, The Moats, Gander Lane, Tewkesbury GL20 5PG between 10am and 5pm.

Steam Traction Engines, rollers and steam driven vehicles in all scales up to 6" (1/2 full size)

There will be the opportunity to experience driving a traction engine yourself, under guidance of course!

A friendly Show with lots of engine movement throughout the weekend.

For more information visit MSRVS.co.uk

Regards

Graham

Thread: Stuart Engine as motive power
05/06/2018 18:13:20

Jon

I am not sure where you are located in the UK, but the Model Steam Road Vehicle Society (MSRVS) is holding its annual show on the weekend of June 23rd and 24th in Tewkesbury. There will be around 60 engines on site, in all scales and sizes and plenty of people to ask questions and advice of.

There are plans to offer driving experiences and so you would also have the chance to sit behind a traction engine or roller.

You would get a really warm welcome and the society has a wealth of experience and support on offer. If you or anyone else needs any more information on the society or the show, either PM me or look on the website:-

www.msrvs.co.uk

Regards

Grum

Thread: Lathe vibrations
11/12/2017 18:56:52

I have a Chipmaster, with a fully functioning variator the motor of which is 3ph driven through a VFD. No "noise" or vibrations with this setup.

Grum

Thread: Chester or Warco.
20/11/2017 20:38:45

Have purchased Warco Mills and Lathes for industrial use with no issues at all. Purchased Chester mill for my own use at home. First one supplied rusty, combined metric and imperial leadscrews and indexes. Returned as unfit for use..... Second one supplied - allegedly fully inspected at the UK works by the chief engineer - surface finish no better, motor and control board went with a bang on first turning the supply on........ Got full refund and went elsewhere!

Make your own decision, but if I was in the market again I would go for a green machine!

Graham

Thread: A moan - steel of mysterious composition
02/07/2017 09:55:07

Working for a company which manufactures equipment for petrochemical and medical applications, the quality of material we use is generally proscribed by the end user, and we have to supply a detailed material record book which defines exactly what is used in manufacture.

For every ferrous and non ferrous material we utilise, we request from the supplier a certificate (see en 10204 on Google for details) which clearly determines the material through a series of traceability checks. In addition we also (for some clients) have to complete local PMI checks (Positive Material Identification - again see google).

These checks are needed to ensure that the end user gets a product that complies with internationally recognised standards. Do we need such documentation for most of what we model engineers manufacture - probably not. Does the purchaser of the hospital bed need it? Very unlikely - especially as every certificate has a significant cost associated with it.......

Grum

Thread: brass wanted
08/06/2017 17:45:20

Does it have to be brass and that exact size? I have a number of blocks of aluminium bronze which are around 100mm diameter and 20-25mm thick. Yours for p&p if of any use.

Grum

Thread: Screw Bolt and Nut supplier
07/06/2017 18:56:45

OK. Guilty as charged. I made the reference to K R Whistons...... i am not too sure why anyone is questioning why I did so, but in case anyone is mildly interested, it was because I looked at the Surplus Supplies website and saw reference to their "bargain packs" and "£1 packs" which reminded me of previous dealings (around 1974) with KRW who did similar bags of "leftovers" and sweepings.....

I will take 100 lines and go back to being a lurker - potentially safer!

Grum

04/06/2017 20:51:51

Shades of Whistons........ (Showing my age now!)

Grum

Thread: 3" Simplicity Steamroller
24/05/2017 19:22:15

Jon

Apologies for not responding sooner - the joys of having a more than full time job!

I will sort out some pictures and create a folder but it will probably not be before the weekend.

Just for clarification, Bridport Foundry are suppliers of the old Plaistow drawings and provide raw castings to support the design. They do not actually provide machined components in a kit form. In order to build the design you will need a range of workshop tooling and experience - the drawings leave a little to be desired and some of the components are quite intricate.

Hope this helps..

Grum

Thread: Insurance
05/05/2017 20:29:57

Speak to NFU Mutual.

They helped me with a similar problem. At the time I had public liability insurance for my business (with another company) and needed a "top up" for a specific requirement.

They were both really helpful and £'s was reasonable.

Grum

Thread: 3" Simplicity Steamroller
02/05/2017 19:08:01

As mentioned in my "new member" introduction, I am currently building a 3 scale Simplicity Steamroller to the Plaistow (Bridport Foundry) design.

I have a couple of queries regarding the construction of and subsequent firing of the copper boiler which I would appreciate the experience of anyone who has built one of these "brutes".

Thanks in anticipation.

Grum

Thread: A wee heads up for you guys down south
16/04/2017 09:45:51

If anyone is really interested, I have a son in law who lives in Lytchet and could go and have a look see...... Grum

Thread: LBSC Owl - Any Info On This O-gauge loco?
16/04/2017 09:43:59

Steven

Apologies in advance if I am teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you a member of Bob Young's Steammodelloco group on Yahoo?

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Steammodelloco16mm

Lots of information and a number of designs available on the site for 32 and 45mm gauge steam locos.

Grum

Thread: Boring bar/head
12/04/2017 21:50:40

8mins 57 secs... "I have managed to do some very good work with this even before all the improvements..."

This after an initial recommendation not to buy the junk but to spend a bit more on a used American item.

So what is the price of a few cap screws and a bit of time??

Interestingly in my day job I have recently purchased two similar boring heads and one is being used 24-7 on a production job. The "completely wrong" cutting tools are still in use and receive a few seconds lapping on a diamond lap once a day. Cutting circa 50mm bores in cast iron components.

Second head - purchased "just in case" is still in its box.

For the price they are a no brainer. In our case it has also released a CNC mill as the bore is a second op which can be done easier and quicker manually.

Grum

Thread: cutting 8mm steel plate
05/04/2017 19:07:51

In my previous employment we had a number which were used on a regular basis to shorten commercial vehicle chassis. Material thickness varied between 6mm up to a maximum of 16mm. Using the saw for the first time was an act of faith as it feels unnatural heading for a lump of steel with a circular saw........ very impressive results however! Incredibly quick cutting, no burning or burring and if you treat the blade with some care long lasting. There is a small collecting box for the chips and this needs to be emptied frequently but does collect most of the debris.

The saws were also used for cutting steel plates ( up to 12mm thick - cut lengths up to 48" and again with a guide fixed in place the saw literally cuts through like butter. Imagine using a 9" circular saw through 22mm chipboard and that is the speed of cutting through the steel.

There are various blades available for carbon and stainless steel and both can be resharpened if you have a local circular saw re-furbisher / sharpener. No connection with the company at all. Justa satisfied (production engineer) buyer and user who slashed cutting times. If I had a need in my current place of employment for cutting plates that our guillotine couldn't handle I would have no hesitation in purchasing an Evolution saw again.

Hope this helps to assure you that the kit will do the job you require.

Grum

Thread: Anyone need any cast iron?
12/03/2017 19:49:27

On occasion there are suggestions that "bar bell" type weights are a good source of cast iron. A chance comment at work has resulted in an assortment of weights being donated to me......

Unrealistic to send them in the post, but if anyone in the Swindon / Cirencester / Malmesbury area has a burning need then please let me know. Lots of different diameters and thicknesses available.

Grum

Thread: Globe valve as a gas regulator?
13/01/2017 16:47:52

Having built a number of locos in 16mm scale using poker and ceramic burners, a simple needle valve is quite adequate at controlling the gas flow to the burner. There are many companies manufacturing same. If you need specific recommendations just ask.

Grum

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest