By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ebay site changes for the worst
18/09/2019 09:07:54

I’ve not experienced that on mine - yet. But I avoid as many third party adverts as possible - something to do with candies on the computer, perhaps?smiley

Thread: Changed thread titles, what effect does it have?
18/09/2019 07:10:56
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 17/09/2019 15:59:25:

Some things are just to subtle for the average model engineer, it seems

One must always remember that almost 50% are actually below that ‘average’ value, so if it is too subtle for the average, then it must be too subtle for more than 50%!smiley

18/09/2019 07:04:10

Ian,

You’re right, it has changed again. Items cheaper than the seller’s normal BIN price are either shilled up to a reasonable profit or they are sub-standard items. I never bother with those auctions as I know they are dodgy. The only way around this is to contact the seller about the item and hope they get back to you.

They will soon prevent any contact details appearing on any item auction. At present, some items have contact numbers.and even an address Then, hopefully, more will sell by their real name, so they are readily contacted after a simple telephone number search.smiley

Thread: Setting up for lathe coolant
18/09/2019 06:47:33
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 18/09/2019 00:20:06:

Indeed - in fact the manual for the Harrison lathe (mine is an L5) advises setting the machine on its cabinet on a very slight slope towards the drain, using the cabinet levelling-screws provided. (They weren't on mine, and the holes in the base-plate didn't even have threads... I added some. Oh my goodness what a saga!).

Why would those holes need threads? A simple arrangement with a set screw with nut (to adjust the height) and another as a lock nut. 4 set screws, 8 nuts and two spanners is all that is needed. No threads needing to be cut whatsoever!

17/09/2019 19:05:12

It has been like that for years. We used to be able to avoid bidding against ‘friends’.

I once put about £400 on an item to stymie a bidder, but a friend paid more than the other bidder at the end of the auction. She did the same to me, inadvertently, about a year later on a rare machine. We then got together by email to avoid bidding against each other.

Getting together as a group to bid, and then having a ‘knock’ as we called it, was a regular event at auctions I used to go to.

Thread: Myford Bull Wheel Indexing
17/09/2019 18:22:15

Lucky, you myford users. The bull wheel on my lathe has (useful?) factors of only 5 and 13, I think!sad

Thread: Dewhurst reversing switches
17/09/2019 12:43:56

Nothing on this forum (according to a search for ‘dewhurst&rsquo this year, apart from the enquiry about the missing refurbishment article (in MEW 283 instead of 282).

As I see it, they have worked quite well as an isolator and direction of rotation selector for a small motor. No reason to assume they have stop/start capabilities - which is where the problem lies. Education needed, not necessarily banning the use of these devices. But, sadly, Common Sense died years ago and many either don’t know or don’t care.

I’ve never looked up the current carrying or switching capability, but would avoid exceeding that if I were using one. As for stop/start of an inductive circuit, it is a non-starter (apologies for the pun!)

My previous lathe had a different switch, but the same idea. Sensibly, there was a starter to be used for that. One should never use an isolator to switch current, in my book, unless in an emergency situation.

But, there again, I worked on a plant where there were in excess of 150 drives (probably over three times that number, over the whole works) - each with a starter and an isolator. In the English language (electrical parlance) the two are not synonymous. Simple as that. Comprendez or non-comprendez is the problem. Elf,n,safety likely ban their use in industry and insist on interlocks to prevent similar items causing problems.

I suspect a fair number of failures are induced by switching direct from one rotation to the other without allowing the drive to stop, even if the normal starting current does not exceed the specification.

Thread: Rip-Off? Don't judge by web domains.
17/09/2019 07:31:10

The UK(?) vendor is trying to mislead some purchasers. They show a kit which has been fully built up, while actually supplying it only in component parts without making it very clear that the pic is the finished project after being built by the buyer..

Some will, invariably, assume the fully built up unit is a clock in kit-form and as such requiring that module as part of a complete clock - the rest being the housing which could be purchased separately or made from scratch by the model clock builder.

Savvy buyers would not have ‘the wool pulled over their eyes’ but some will, no doubt, not get what they thought they were getting. That is not the way to get subsequent orders, I would suggest, as there will be a lot ot disappointed customers who may not have the soldering skills and would bin the item when either they could not build it or when it doesn’t work when finished.

Just sharp practice. I, for one, would not buy anything from a supplier that ‘hides’ facts, even if the are actually in full view. Legal? Yes. But still a sharp practice.

Thread: Petrol Gen for 7 1/4 locomotive
16/09/2019 22:17:49
Posted by Clive Hartland on 16/09/2019 21:55:35:

One post mentions Hydraulic drive motors. A petrol engine driving a pump to drive the wheels, foolproof. No electricity, no danger wow.

And the hydraulic pressure? Always some risk of something going wrong sometime!. I’ve been doused in oil when a hydraulic pipe has failed.sad Worse might be a pin-hole leak at high pressure. Certainly will withstand getting wet (with water), though.

Thread: Sales contact for Sweetpea
16/09/2019 17:32:56

Question: Why not simply make the contact as a PM, rather than email, for sales and wanted items? This problem, which has clearly arisen previously, would be avoided.

Thread: Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?
16/09/2019 13:44:34

I actually just looked at the product as shown in the above link. It says it is supplied with two nozzles. That means the nozzles will simply be screwed in place? So it would seem an extension would incur a simple threading operation.

I have no idea of the quality by just looking at the pic, whether good or bad or average. Your latest post, however, seems rather ambivalent - in one part you say you have not yet looked but you then say it looks a decent product.

Thread: Setting up for lathe coolant
16/09/2019 11:04:37

This ‘hot chestnut’ re lathe levelling again! Levelling does not mean perfectly horizontal - it just means adjusted for straight cuts, so no twist or bend in the bed! Think here of the terrible work that would be done on a ship’s lathe, if your scenario was crucially important!!

Thread: Where can i obtain these brass unions
16/09/2019 10:56:46

Scale would help.

There may be some diesel engine injector leak-off fittings somewhere, but I wouldn’t be holding my breath if I was searching for some. They are low pressure and usually have only push-on connectors for flexible piping.

Making the first will take at least three times as long as any extras, made at the same time!

Thread: Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?
16/09/2019 07:53:57

IF it is not, one can always extend the part by a simple threading or soldering operation?

Thread: CRT Free!
16/09/2019 00:36:04
Posted by Daniel on 15/09/2019 20:40:16:

Hello,

At the risk of sounding obtuse, and most certainly not wishing to play Devil's Advocate;

Where is there the slightest risk involved, with an implosion ? However violent it may be ?

ATB,

Daniel smiley

Watch the video! Matey-boy did not put steel shutters down around the high vacuum area, and partitions between CRTs within, for no good reason!smiley Would he have done that if there was ‘not the slightest risk’ of high speed glass fragments flying around?

Thread: Petrol Gen for 7 1/4 locomotive
15/09/2019 20:57:57

As above, do stick to a 24 volt alternator, if that is the voltage you are choosing. Nobody has been electrocuted by a 24V DC supply - as far as I know!smiley

Every voltage conversion loses energy. Many modern generators are a) rated for maximum output at 0.8 power factor (so kVA, not kW) and b) not many have a continuous output at the advertised maximum.

There are PMGs (Permanent Magnet Generators) out there that could be direct coupled to an engine, but a couple of belts and a pair of pulleys should not present too much hardship to engineer? Electronics controlling the engine speed should not be too difficult to arrange.

At the very least, go for a 110V generator if you must...

Thread: My Faircut Lathe
15/09/2019 20:38:47

Re the taper. I would measure accurately how far two different sized flat-ended (at least right angles at the circumference) circular rods will enter the socket. The distance between the two is calculated.

Now, knowing that distance between how far those two rods will go in and their diameters it is a simple mathematical calculation to find the tangent of the angle.

Thread: drillling bronze
15/09/2019 10:02:46

If I have a drilling problem, I usually resort to using an endmill. Two fluters are OK for drilling, more if a pilot hole is there to enable the milling cutter to plunge. A pilot is obviously not applicable in this instance.

Thread: General Question
15/09/2019 09:57:34

Don’t delay to make your claim, if it is time constrained. It is a standard excuse from them, likely computer generated.

Only once have I claimed for late delivery from China, although some items have taken longer than expected. On that occasion the item turned up two weeks after the job was completed, with a tool from a different supplier.

Don’t trust that supplier to refund voluntarily. They won’t if they can procrastinate long enough...

Thread: MT2 or ISO30
15/09/2019 09:47:09
8Posted by Schnekkern on 14/09/2019 14:58:06:

Are there any advantages of MT2 (other than price / availability)?

Welcome to the forum.

I am rather ‘locked in’ to 2MT - both my lathe and mills are such. Cost difference and availability in the UK is likely different than for you (you are one of very few who have their location in the profile).

Clearly ISO30 is the better option mechanically (more favoured by commercial operators). Morse Taper has always been the cheaper option. R8 is the modern alternative to Morse fittings and might be worth investigating.

To answer your question simply: None. But those advantages are a considerable incentive for many of us!

I would say Morse is adequate but ISO is far better.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest