By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Case Hardening
30/01/2020 10:55:07

If it has been open to air (oxygen), while at red heat, it will be like charcoal - after being used on the barbeque.

Edited By not done it yet on 30/01/2020 10:56:42

Thread: Creality 3D For Christmas - Impressions so Far
29/01/2020 23:52:28

How are you getting on, Dave?

My Sovol SV01 (arrived yesterday) has made two virtually perfect sample cubes today, in two different PLA filaments - one in the 1/2kg sample of filament supplied with the printer and the other needing a much higher extrusion temperature. Better than 0.2mm range of measurements in 30mm and no surface defects, so good enough for me.

Got to get my head round the slicer and supplied files next. Then onto drawing in CAD.

Thread: Mini mill riser block
29/01/2020 21:04:29
Posted by Dave Halford on 29/01/2020 20:48:33:

Or to put it another way.

You may need a raiser block for the milling vice as well for some small jobs smiley

Or buy a vise with a rotating base - or rather one that is mounted on a base. Most discard the base for sundry reasons.🙂

Thread: High blood pressure !
29/01/2020 18:05:10

I was put on Ramipril after my op. I never suffered from the ‘ramipril cough’ until I got stung by the bees. A change to Losartan has avoided that reaction to stings.

I also pass on the statin for a month or so if my knees play up. Doctor said muscular side effects yes, but never heard of joint trouble. Well, my knees play up occasionally and the symptoms quickly disappear on stopping the statin. Every time! As my cholesterol hovers around the two mark, it doesn’t bother me too much. 10mg Atorvastatin is my prescribed dose. Changed from Simvastatin several years ago for some reason, but can’t remember what.

Thread: A question of beat
29/01/2020 07:31:24

Re the cicadas, My first thought was of the Fibonacci series, but that doesn't fit. Most nature series, but not exclusively, fit that series.

Clocks are still much of a mystery to me. So many interacting sections - all needing to work together and separately.

Thread: High blood pressure !
29/01/2020 07:05:48

Don’t worry too much ... The NHS is wonderful, and the technology [should you ever need it] is amazing:

True. I had a quad bypass ten years ago.

My history - never smoked, never overweight, blood pressure normal, cholesterol low, always fit, but a heart attack (which I walked around with for three months before going to the doctor) at 61. But family history on Mum’s side.

”Top dog” at Papworth was my surgeon and while attending for preliminary checks, his registrar asked if I would accept an earlier op if a space became available. This was 16:30 on Tuesday. I replied “Yes, OK” and he said ‘Friday”. Admitted Thursday at 11:00, op Friday morning at 08:30. They only decided at 20:30 on Thursday evening that I didn’t need open heart surgery.

Put in a side ward after the op. Part of the crash team attended on one night and the whole lot the next - along with the surgeon’s registrar at around 02:30 in the morning! Not good, I was thinking and it was my birthday! Later, had more people round my bed than I could count.

Head of the crash team watched my vital signs for an hour while he administered a huge dose of Potassium and then I slowly started to improve. Three days of 150 -170 heart-rate was not fun, but the rate dropped and my surgeon asked ME if he should prescribe warfarin and send me home. I light-heartedly told him he was the ——— expert and he allowed me home with the warfarin.

I had to take a letter for my local hospital - to monitor if my collapsed lung was still expanding properly. It was then that I realised why they had been X-raying me so regularly in hospital.

When rehab exercises started at the local hospital the fellow in charge kept telling me to slow down as my heart was up around the 150 mark. I kept telling him I wouldn't be exercising at all if I slowed down. They used to keep me behind for up to an hour, until my heart-rate subsided. I then walked home with it at 140-150bpm!

Not a good experience, but I’m still around. One heart tablet, minimum statin (cholesterol is plus or minus two), that aspirin (responsible for the duodenal ulcers last year?) plus the pill for ulcer prevention each day is not onerous.

Better than the alternative, is how I see it. So hospitals good, DHSS lousy.

My wife has had more her fair share of hospital treatments over the years - survived an horrific RTA (drunk driver overtaking on a blind bend and head-on collision, resulting in a 3 month hospital stay -quite a lot in intensive care)), a botched gall bladder op (an extra month in hospital later) and cancer treatment in 2018 which seemed to affect her heart (yet another cardiac app. on Friday.)

We wouldn’t be here without the superb hospital care we’ve received. I’m quite sure of that

Thread: A little bit upset
29/01/2020 06:00:54

I was too, yesterday - well late Monday - when we arrived home.

I had made offers (as you do) for a printer which the vendors ignored, giving nothing off even though the offer was BIN or Make an Offer. At third attempt, they accepted a £3 reduction - but nearly three days wasted hissing about.

Had notification that a delivery was being made while we were away, even though I requested it be Tuesday. I expected it was either delivered to a neighbour or would require redelivery arranging. It was sent tracked 48 hour delivery.

What I found, on arrival at home, was a parcel delivered through the letterbox!. Twelve stainless steel straws!

On enquiring I found this was a “free gift” and was given tracking info for the real thing and it duly arrived yesterday.

I’m still miffed they sent out a separate parcel with something I did not want yet would not accept my first two reasonable offers.

I did say thanks, but pointedly remarked that I would have appreciated, much more, if they had not wasted that ‘free” item - valued at about eight quid on their site - and just accepted a few extra quid off the printer.

Straws will either go to grandchildren or in the bin as we don’t use them.

Thread: Digital verniers
28/01/2020 16:14:24

Have to agree with SOD on this. The new tool I have bought in the last year or so, that I use most regularly is the left handed digi caliper for about 23-24 quid.

If I need dead-on measurements, I dig out the digi micrometer, but for ease of measurement, in situ on the lathe, that left handed caliper is so much easier to use. I don’ need top class instruments but I do demand reliable, consistent results from my measuring kit.

Like the parcel that arrived two eight minutes ago. The Sovol SV01. I don’t need it but I wanted it and have got it. It will never make money but will be another toy to play with - and my wife already wants 24 little objects made for her sister, who arrives in about a month’s time. All the same and on thingyverse or somewhere. My first steps in cnc, so off to open the box. BFN.

28/01/2020 15:47:58

Let me put it another way.

It is bad practice to make gears pairs with whole number ratios.

Is that more clearly understood? I don’t design gear boxes or anything like that and maybe clock makers ignore the principle (that gears pairs should not run on the same teeth for the whole life of the machine). Comments? I’d like to know if they do (and if they do, why?).

28/01/2020 11:49:55

Factors are whole numbers which will divide into the other number by a whole number. All primes, other than two, have only two factors.

Using factors is bad practice with gear sets, as the same teeth will be engaging every revolution. Far better for even wear is to have the gears wearing with any of the teeth wearing against all the teeth on the other gear.

You never had an exact 4.00 differential in your car - it would wear much better and evenly if the ratio were the pinion teeth multiplied by an integer, then plus (or minus) one for the crown wheel. A much higher rotational speed and power, but the same physical principles still apply - but clearly ignored in the clock movement exampled.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
28/01/2020 11:25:30

Too cold to go out in the workshop over there is it lads?

I’ve only just been out to the workshop - first time for 5 days - we were away at Barry for a long weekend. Had to empty the dehumidifier as it might not have lasted tonight. A rare freeze last night. -2C this morning.

Thread: rotary broaching
28/01/2020 07:13:17

Make it with a slightly over-sized male broach?

Thread: lefthand acme thread
28/01/2020 06:44:28

Frank, nights is only relevant if you live in the same time zone. For those in Australia, it might not show at all!

28/01/2020 06:40:09

Perhaps he found the 0.893 seconds per beat was more pleasing, to his ear, than only once per second? Certainly can’t so easily count ticks for a minute period!

As a matter of interest, do all other clock designs have a beat of 1.0 seconds?

Mathematically, the 0.893s is to one more significant figure, so should be more accurate than one only to two significant figures - or did you mean 1.00s?🙂

As this makes absolutely no difference to the time-keeping, does it really matter that much? A design simply needs to accurately mirror the true time of day.

Do these tooth counts require fewer set-ups or cutters than other tooth counts?

I would particularly frown on the use of smaller pinions being sized as a factor of the larger wheel it contacts. Any comment on this?

As only a clock repair ‘bodger’, I’m not particularly qualified to make too many meaningful comments (just to make it clear to those that are ‘funny’ about replies). Last comment is that it does show that a one second beat is not the ‘be all and end all’ of clock making.🙂

Thread: Drummond Lathe
27/01/2020 22:22:36

I have Keith's email address if we are allowed to publish it here.

‘Email addys are best kept to PM’s’, would be advisable. Keeps their addy out of the public domain (these threads are visible to anyone and everyone on the internet).

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 21:53:05
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 27/01/2020 14:53:30:

I don't get it right every time!!!

BUT

• I accept any information from someone else who has direct experience should be respected - but there may be another way as well
  • Any information from someone else with allied, but not exactly analogous experience may be of interest.
  • Comments that say 'it can't be done' or 'do it this way or you are wrong' should be treated with caution.
  • Contradicting someone from your experience is OK but knocking them isn't
  • Thread drift can often be interesting and fun

And finally anyone who hasn't exactly the same sense of humour as me should be taken out and shot now (That was another joke, by the way!)

Personally, I think Nick’s post sums me up - but perhaps some don’t think so.🙂 That’s just tough for them!

I often get it wrong - probably because I, at least, am prepared to offer my take on topics - and I am not a machinist. My advice which might include an analogy, to get the grey cells working, is worth exactly what you paid for it and often has a question mark immediately after. Perhaps too honest for some.

I work on the KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Sweetie (mustn’t use the other word on here). Most ‘apparent problems’ have a simple solution.

Thread: lefthand acme thread
27/01/2020 21:05:18

Before making a nut, I would check the screw for wear - the nut may be tight at the ends but loose in the middle. Better to find that out now than later.

I made a nut like the link in Rod’s post. Worked a treat. I made it from rectangular pieces of acetal - easier to hold in a vise. One can machine it down to a cylinder afterwards, leaving a collar on the end. The old nut can be bored and the two pressed together, securing with the collar - it just depends on what shape and size of your old nut. If of adequate diameter, one could add pins as well to prevent it turning, if needed. Loctite can help (groove to increase the glued area?).

The link is spot on re backlash - they are very tight and need easing off. Mine was a square thread and needed easing off on major and minor diameters to make it easier to use. I’ve so far only gently reamed it and it is still very tight. I’m going to put a nick on the screw (stone it off afterwards) and try to ease the major diameter in the nut.

This was to replace the spare brass nut, I already had, when mine failed, so not needed in a hurry.🙂 So more of an experiment than a required repair job. Backlash due to a worn screw, with these, may not be quite so important as with a metal nut?

Thread: Milling machine & Shaper query
27/01/2020 19:34:39

Agree entirely with Howard. I like my handraulic shaper for the things it can do - like internal keyways. But it is never going to compete with a powered machine.

For most things I do, a larger shaper would be good but I don’t think it will happen. I might progress to a small powered machine as another ‘toy’.

I use my lathe, both mills and the Drummond shaper. Not universally because the particular machine is the best/easiest to get the job done.

If milling attachments were so good for everyone, mills would not have become so popular. People use what they have and modellers will make models according to the size of machines they have - although smaller models can be made on a larger machine, but not so easy the other way round. Only you would know the answer to your question.

I might like to add a surface grinder, but it would not get much use. But that would not necessarily stop me if a suitable one came up for sale.🙂

Thread: Telescopic tube locking collar advice needed
27/01/2020 09:01:08

Invariably(?), round tubes use a twist mechanism and square tube relies on a lever arrangement - unless a sliding system is employed. Looking at ‘hose-lock’ type connectors for garden hoses might provide some inspiration, but they are likely very similar to mops and paint roller handles.

Thread: TE winter storage
27/01/2020 08:51:06

Set on a medium setting. On high it runs continually & costs a fortune in electric.

Still get about 1/2 litre a day from the water catch box.

I collect about 1/2 litre for about 8p worth of leccy (3 hours run time). The heat is likely as useful as the humidity reduction. I don’t consider that too much to protect my kit.

Running any dehumidifier continuously, when not required, would be an obvious waste of money.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest