By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tyres
13/05/2022 08:58:12

Posted by John MC on 13/05/2022 07:21

….

Any ideas as to how a tyre pressure gauge could be checked?

Have more than one gauge? I check mine against any good gauges I come across. I don’t rely wholly on the pressure indicated - tyre wear is important - the tread should have the maximum contact with the road, for normal road vehicles.

Pressure too high means they will wear in the centre of the tread and if too low the edges will wear more quickly - but both mean less effective contact with the road surface.

Under-inflation is worse than slightly over - the tyre wall will flex more and heat up (and any loss of pressure may make things much worse very quickly.

Thread: Re-boring Grind Wheels
13/05/2022 08:39:54

Care to put up a clear pic of the grinder? No need to actually name it, in print, if a good pic (or from where it originated) is shown. It might save others from the woes you have experienced.

I suspect it may well be yet another case of buy cheap, buy twice…

IMO, grinding wheels are not something to be messed with. They can be dangerous enough, even if in good condition - let alone starting with an inferior product…

Thread: Tyres
12/05/2022 23:10:43
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 12/05/2022 22:47:24:

I wonder how many customers were taken in by that little nitrogen racket, though?

Any of those that don’t know that PV = nRT. Those that don’t know that if there is already any water in the case, it will not behave like an ideal gas. Those that don’t know they already have 78% Nitrogen in their tyres. Those that don’t know that Carbon Dioxide is a vapour, not a gas (ie the same as water vapour). Those that think HO improves engine efficiency. Those that are ‘taken in’ by any such fad.

In other words: lots of them.

Different for the likes of F1 racing cars where every little thing needs to be controlled, for the absolute maximum efficiency.

Thread: Milling Table Flatness - What is acceptable
11/05/2022 20:57:02

It looks to me as though those run-out figures were initiated (zero reading) at one end of the table and finished at the other?

I might suspect it may be the gib that is not set ideally and the table run-out is increasing as the table balance changes, the highest reading being with the heaviest overhang at the far end.

It might be prudent, if this is the case, to do the same procedure but starting at the other end of the bed as zero - if the same increasing pattern is found in that direction, no amount of scraping of the table will sort that? If that way provides negative readings, then scraping is likely the answer.

Thread: Newb to ME and ....well... everything
11/05/2022 11:14:36
Posted by Steven Francis on 10/05/2022 19:45:27:

thank you.

This version has a 38mm spindle bore, chosen because I will be able to get pistons and cylinders in without needing to work off the tailstock.

Ahh, looks like you work on springers, mostly?

My first was a Webley Vulcan of about 1960 vintage. Still got it, but don’t use it often. I have found the Air Arms S410 and S200 PCPs very accurate and consistent,.

Thread: What is this tool ?
10/05/2022 06:05:15

Likely a pipe support for making flanges on the ends. Typical use would be flaring automotive brake pipe ends.

These are ones used at the cheaper end of the flaring kits available.

Thread: ER16 Collets from Ebay
09/05/2022 06:33:51

If it is one collet that is faulty, just get another. I cannot understand how one Er16 collet can cost $65 even if they are Ca $!

Thread: Weight of Myford ML4 ?
08/05/2022 11:50:41

Could find the weight again (quoted somewhere on the net), but it is out there

Edited By not done it yet on 08/05/2022 12:04:15

Thread: SENIOR Mill for someone?
07/05/2022 11:20:56
Posted by Rannsachair on 07/05/2022 08:38:46:

Absolute bargain, looks like it is a Centec 2b with mk3 vertical head. I have the same head on my 2A:

Looks like it is a 2B (with the vertical hand-wheel swivelled round by 90 degrees and no holding bolts fitted).

The Horizontal arm lies behind the mill, on the floor. There could very well be a horizontal arbor in that box, adjacent to the motor.

I would say well worth a grand, if in good condition - and it certainly looks to be in good condition.

Edited By not done it yet on 07/05/2022 11:21:40

Thread: Myford ML7
07/05/2022 10:56:54

I thought its weak point was wear in the ways? Or was it only the earlier models which did not have hardened ways?

Plain bearings, properly lubricated or not over-speeded, were adequate for the lathe at the time of production. They would have quite possibly consumed more oil (as a total loss system) than a well sealed taper roller bearing set-up, over their lifetime.

Another weak point might be that of driving the carriage with the lead screw. But maybe they were not expecting their lathes to out-live the company.

Many have avoided the weak links, or have replaced the worn parts, over the lifetime of the machines.

They were a good machine at the price-point, which allowed the public to be able to join the model engineering fraternity. They have been used (and still are) to make some superb models, over the years, so the ‘weak points’ have been overcome or avoided by most users.

All lathes are a compromise to some degree. I believe there are modified lathes, with a larger spindle bore, that may have been fitted with alternative bearing systems.

Thread: Suggest a repair method for broken aluminium alloy casting
07/05/2022 10:31:26

These lumiweld, and other, matetials are the same, or very similar to Birmabright. Landrover aluminium body panels were relatively easily repaired with patches. The requirement was to oil the surface of the panel and heat carefully until the oil vapourised, at which point the panel was getting close to melting point and the repair could be carried out satisfactorily with a little (or a lot of) practise.

If the motor mounts were die-cast in cheap ZAMAK (MAZAK), the melting point would be lower than the filler material, so no chance of making a decent repair.

Edited By not done it yet on 07/05/2022 10:35:50

06/05/2022 22:17:29

There is very little load on that piece, when tightened down - using suitable washers. It’s basically here as a means of providing a ‘pivot’ - like hold-down kits for holding bits on milling machine tables.

Thread: SENIOR Mill for someone?
06/05/2022 20:46:35

The vertical head for the Centec would likely be rather more, at auction on Epay. They are not so common and are much sought after.

Thread: Threading 1.2mm S.S. rod (wire)?
06/05/2022 11:35:23

And the lathe is?

You don’t say how long the thread is, not that it is really important, if you choose the right way.

Short threads - no problem with a tailstock mounted die. Need collets if the chuck does not close sufficiently - and better for an all-around grip than only on three points.

Whatever length you like, if the carriage is not too heavy to slide - just arrange for the carriage drive to be disconnected, mount the die on the toolpost and keep extending the wire from a suitable collet. Probably not necessary to go to those lengths but just shows what could be possible.

Thread: Which beginners lathe is best
06/05/2022 07:06:31

Personally, I think lathes are lathes and beginners are beginners..

Title would be better as “what lathe is best for a beginner”.

The simple answer, to that, is a simple lathe. The simplest lathe that was suitable for what the beginner wants to do.

Thread: Which lathe would this fit?
05/05/2022 13:36:41

Boxford?

Thread: Thread gears for Warco GH-1322 lathe.
05/05/2022 07:38:09
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 04/05/2022 21:13:17:

3 holders are nowhere near enough.wink

Tony

You,ve (clearly?) not looked at the Arceuro offerings? Tool post separate, or with 3 tool holders.🙂🙂

The school has a mill. Both gears, and extra tool holders, should not be difficult to make? It’s what I did.

04/05/2022 19:13:31

I would not (but a school might) buy a set such as shown. I would buy only the tool post and, say, three tool holders, initially. I bought a full set when I bought mine and have regretted it🙂 .

You give no indication of your locality/area. Arceurotrade, near Leicester, are a very much favoured (by the forum) supplier for all sorts of machinery and accessories. Ian is a very helpful and knowledgeable person to speak to. Likely better prices than some other suppliers for the same or similar items, as well.

Thread: Recommend a small lathe(and mill)
30/04/2022 06:09:27

One thing to note. The Raglan is quite a bit heavier than the usual fymords.

Thread: Motor size
29/04/2022 10:02:32
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 29/04/2022 09:58:24:
Posted by noel shelley on 29/04/2022 09:43:18:

WHY NOT take the advice of the makers, or the next size up as used on the Super 7 ? 3/4 Hp or approx 550W. ! Noel

Very sensible, but it would spoil the dream. More power is always better. It's a man thing: I secretly lust after fitting a NOX boosted Merlin to my sensible Corsa... Despite knowing it's insane!

smiley

Dave

PS Who with a headache doesn't triple the dose of painkiller?

Dave,

I like your analogies. I expect there are a few more that would fit the bill.🙂

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest