By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper reaming
16/08/2021 14:00:17

The taper is probably more important than the actual size (as long as greater than the current hole). A tapered pin with a 2.5 mm minimum could suffice. Different taper to imperial, mind. The wide end of the tapered pin (so the overall length of it) needs to be catered for.

Thread: Interfering with fits?
16/08/2021 13:50:26

One other spanner to throw into the works is that the wheels on my belt sanders can get too hot to touch after prolonged use which could affect the fit if shrinking.

I’m not sure that that is appliccable if the coefficients of expansion are identical, or nearly so. Both wheel and bush would be at the same temperature at the interface?

Thread: Knurling tool
16/08/2021 13:39:02
Posted by DMB on 16/08/2021 13:13:11:

….

I have bought knurls from various sources to fit a couple of clamp types. I am also making up one to Guy Lautards instructions as well. Frustratingly, not only do various sources supply different widths of wheels but the spindle holes vary in diameter, so nothing interchangeable.

John

John,

Apart from obviously needing different spindle dims for different sized knurls, the means of accommodating these different bores is to arrange for different sized holes on each side of the tool - one being the minimum and the other being the maximum spindle sizes required. Shims/spacers can be used to accommodate the knurl widths - as long as the tool is built for the maximum width. Knurl width could be reduced by grinding?

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
16/08/2021 13:25:39

JA, you are spot on. 1/64” is a measurement to only plus or minus 1/128” (unless a tolerance is provided). So the possible error could be as much as 8 thou (~0.2mm). Not many of those conversions would be needed to four decimal places, in mm - and not many on here would be machining to that precision, methinks.

16/08/2021 13:15:38

38mm is 3.8cm. 3.8*0.02 = 0.076mm, which is 0.08mm to two significant figures.

Coeff. of exp. for Aluminium is given as 21*10^-6/K (but likely 10% higher) so a 100K delta would provide a very mild interference fit. You should be able to attain a delta T of 250K by heating the wheel and deep freezing the bush.

It requires the parts to be machined parallel and fitted together quite quickly as the conductivity of Aluminium is nearly ten times that of steel.

Never tried Aluminium myself, but have often shink-fitted steel parts.

Thread: Milling machine
16/08/2021 11:51:57

As per Dave and Pete.

Here’s one on ebay:

J&S pillar drill

The pics show the vertical axis is not likely a very “precision” piece of kit.

With the jacobs type chuck as possibly with a non-descript attachment to the column and a cheap table makes it not even worth a trip to look at it, even if fairly close. Simply a non-starter for anyone who is serious about milling.

Thread: Hello from Winnipeg, Canada
15/08/2021 21:31:19

This is the lathe I’ve purchased, though in a 24” bed rather than 36”:

**LINK**

Blondihacks, has a PM lathe and puts up lots of beginner-type youtube vids. A rather smaller version than yours but she does try hard (and mostly succeeds) with all sorts of lathe projects, etc. A popular channel.

Thread: choices of material to turn
15/08/2021 21:24:49

I started with Aluminium round stock. More forgiving than steel.🙂

It has a low melting point and the cutting/shearing of the metal can be sufficiently high (at the cutting surface) to stick it to the cutter. WD40 as lubricant avoids the problem.

Thread: Milling machine
15/08/2021 21:09:30
Posted by Jonathon Bywater on 15/08/2021 16:34:36:

Thank you Brian. Your site is most useful and I ve used it many times,unfirtunately no Jones and Shipman under milling machines. Apart from tbe one advertised !

Are you sure it is a Jones and Shipman? Or is it an Adcock and Shipley?

15/08/2021 20:54:49

Is it a solid wheel? If so, shrink fitting should be easy as the coeff. of expansion of Aluminium is quite high.

I think the general mismatch in fit is about 2 thou per inch diameter (0.02mm/cm diameter). Has to be a quick fit, I expect.

Thread: Knurling tool
15/08/2021 14:16:39
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 15/08/2021 11:27:30:

Hi Steve, I spent two to three hours on Friday evening examining it in a logical and methodical way before I even attempted using it, the set-screws were the first obvious fault followed by the lack of the washers, I've seen set-screws used in similar situations during my maintenance years and it always caused slop and fast wearing of the clevis and the yoke holes. I was not biased by anybody's opinions in my assessment and if it had no faults and could be used to what I think was an acceptable standard, I would have said so and I will stick by that, whatever anyone says.

Regards Nick.

Nothing wrong with telling the truth - as you see it. Well, not until a complaint gets the post(s) removed.🙂

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
15/08/2021 12:50:09

My workshop has a max-min hygrometer/thermometer just about central.

It is a fully insulated workshop, and for the last week and a half or so, the temperature range has remained between 17 and 19. Not a lot done in there machinery-wise, but I did put the dehumidifier on when there was a surplus of power available (no more than 750W, for a couple of hours at a time). So as Martin, above - insulation rules!

Thread: Hello from Winnipeg, Canada
14/08/2021 09:21:39

Hi Steven,

Hurricane

I like it when ‘they’ argue about Spitfires and Hurricanes - which was really the better of the two.

“Hurricanes shot down more German planes over Britain, so must have been better”

But they would not have managed that if the Spitfires had not engaged the ME109 fighter cover. Likewise Hurricanes could take more damage than a Spitfire - but would have needed to, if the Spitfires were not there to take the heat of them.

In my view, they both rather complemented each other and that was all we had in those early days of the war. Didn’t the Hurricane develop more for ground attack after the initial urgent defence role was over?

Basement

Such a good idea. We had a cellar at the farmhouse. I miss it, even though that one was a bit damp.

I expect yours is cosy and warm? (the boiler is down there?)

A close neighbour (well, ‘bout a quarter mile away) built a cellar (but under his garden - and he calls it a bunker). He’s now connected it by a tunnel to his house.

Science

Biology, Chemistry or Physics?

Seasonal

​​​​​​​Mozzies in the summer, snow in the winter!

Start looking for a mill is my advice. Very much complementary with a lathe.🙂 I actually mill more than turn.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
13/08/2021 18:41:36

I’m not keen on youtube amateurs and just realised we are being used as ‘sounding boards’ for some questionable output - a bit like a learner-driver advising on the Advanced Motorist Driving Test.

Bye.

Thread: er25 collet
13/08/2021 12:11:53

ER collets are 35mm long. Not all of them grip that full length, particularly cheaper offerings.

Thread: ML7 (S7?) saddle clamp hack
13/08/2021 11:56:23
Posted by roy entwistle on 13/08/2021 11:46:06:

ega when I did that it always filled up with swarf

Roy

Not if you leave the allen key in situ.🙂

13/08/2021 11:14:47

You bought it? No scrap steel llaying around? Perhaps an old or unused die holder?

I might use one of - but a cheaper one - of THESE  .

Edited By not done it yet on 13/08/2021 11:15:28

Thread: Consequences of Machining Cast Iron
13/08/2021 09:55:55

That was likely salt. Used as a thickener in the product. SS does not like chlorides!

12/08/2021 23:13:46

One should never ever scrub a SS sink with wire wool. It might depend on the grade of stainless but that is the usual warning. I expect that iron dust might also cause rust marks if left to rust. Best to use a ceramic sink/basin - or just wash hands under an outside tap.🙂

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
12/08/2021 23:03:18

Choices, choices!. One, or both, seals can be removed from the bearings , if necessarry. Alternativelly a suitable shim gasket could be employed to attain the correct clearance, if important.

Removing the outer seal would still leave the assembly sealed, anyway? What you don’t want is too much grease in the bearing such that it gets in the motor, so just needs care when assembling.

For steel, you will need to use only the lowest gear and plenty of cutting fluid with your new cutter, a suitable feed rate to make each tooth cut (not rub). Depth of cut will be limited by the motor power available (or the tightness of those spacers on the arbor).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest