By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Clinging to the Past
20/08/2021 18:48:27

Sorry I was meaning 12 d to the bob and 20 bob to the pound alng with tanners, florins, half crowns, crowns and ten bob notes. Then again, grains, ounces, pounds, stones, cwts, and tons - except that grains are 500/Troy ounce, not avoirdupois that was a weight sytem from France? Messed about since, of course.

Now we have kilobytes with 1024 bytes because octopuses in electronics count in 8,16, etc bits of data.🙂

Hopefully it will all eventually end in decimal metrics - apart from the age-old problem of time - seconds minutes hours, etc.

Thread: Reaming a hole
20/08/2021 14:36:02

Yet another posting disappeared? I’m sure it loaded up earlier this am.

I’ll PM Stevie later

Edited By not done it yet on 20/08/2021 14:37:06

20/08/2021 13:57:11

1200 x 2400mm is now a common size - buyer beware, if the sheet is required to mend/restore one of the multitude of housing stock built before metric sizing was adopted. Several roof trusses with two-foot centres can soon get out of kelter with metric sheets. A 20mm gap between 1200mm sheets does not leave much left for fixings into ever-thinner section frameworks. 2400mm could drop off the supporting structure at 8’ centres.

Softwood was sold in metric sizes for about ten years while any hardwoods were always sold in imperial units. Don’t know if it is the same now, mind - not bought any hardwood stock for many a year.

Thread: 60 degree thread insert
19/08/2021 23:16:09

For coarse threads …

And this thread IS a coarse one!!!🙂

dw dw 2 wrote: Its an external thread 1.25tpi,

A typo, maybe?🙂

19/08/2021 23:07:29

School children hate fractions, I reckon (not so easy to use them on a calculator).

As a ‘starter’ I used to see who could first work out a long fraction multiplication question. In reality virtually all the fractions would cancel, leaving a simple bit of maths afterwards.

Most maths questions, at GCSE level, fall apart to provide an easy calculation for the answer. Students often make themselves hard work, by calculating each small part as they work through the question.

That alone sorts out the good from the lesser ability students as it saves so much time for the more able students to finish all the questions, with plenty of time to check back for any obvious errors.

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
19/08/2021 22:51:37

And for anyone unaware, there are stringless runner bean varieties.

Yep, I sowed half ‘Princess Diana’ and half of a stringless bean. Only half germinated, so no stringless and the second sowing of P. Di is just starting to produce. Beans galore for a while, so maybe some will get frozen.

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
19/08/2021 18:09:48

try it yourself, for me it just leads to a dead end back to germany

There is a phone number quite clearly indicated and easily called. Why not call it? Seems a simple enough way to get sorted? A lot of people seem to miss the simple options to sort out a problem.

Thread: Interfering with fits?
19/08/2021 17:50:18

Well done. Axles have wheels shrink fitted for railway stock and likely tires are shrink fitted to recondition worn wheels, too. Nearly every starter ring on car flywheels are shrink fitted.

Belt and braces for fitting different gear parts together leads me to first fit the parts together (the belt part) and add a couple of threaded holes across the join, then loctite in some threaded rod, bolt or grub screw (the braces). Machine flat if necessary. This lot has left me with a very safe modification, even if tolerances are not quite perfect…

If I were to fit the ‘braces part’ in this instance, because the wheel is possibly rotating at 2800rpm, I would be careful to drill the holes to identical depth and insert identical grub screws. They would be close to the axis, but this would minimise any likelihood of altering the balance.

Thread: Keeping fit and the economy
19/08/2021 16:17:40

Lighten up, JB, there is always an opposite or alternatives. Was it Confucius who said ‘many hands make light work’ - and also ‘too many cooks spoil the broth’.

Another pair of opposites that comes to mind - ‘Out of sight, out of mind’ versus ’Absence makes the heart grow fonder’.

We try to eat reasonably healthy meals. I can’t eat all the runner beans coming off while my wife is away, so I gave some to a close neighbour the other day and they were very appreciative and were clearly going to consume them PDQ.

Today, I offered some to another neighbour and I was quietly surprised that, while the lady gladly accepted them, she did not know how to prepare/cook them, so I had to relate how I prepared and cooked my runners at lunchtime (string the edges, if necessary - I cannot put up with ‘stringy’ beans - slice diagonally (mum did that) or lengthways and cut shorter, as preferred, then boil for about 10 mins (slightly less with fresh beans).

19/08/2021 12:59:47
Posted by Martin Kyte on 19/08/2021 11:07:16:

Decimals are fractions or a series of fractions .

2.17 is 2 + 1/10 + 7/100

Not so much clinging to the past but building on the past. Mathematics is the art of using the most convenient methodology to solve the problem in front of you. If you want to divide a lot of things by 2 for example fractional representations are quicker.

Horses for courses as they say.

regards Martin

Martin, you omitted writing the integer as 2/1 to ‘fractionise’ all parts of the decimal number.🙂

Changing from Lsd to decimal currency is now virtually universally accepted, but lb and oz still doggedly persist for some buyers (and sellers, too). I suspect that a lot of Troy ounces still abound? Grains are still in use by some, too.

We in the UK still have miles to contend with, along with mpg.

An awful lot of people would not know their metric height and weight, either! And that includes some in the younger sector of the population.

It is undoubtedly easier to add and multiply with base 10 numbers - manipulating old imperial values is likely hard work, or impossible, for the younger generations.

Some ‘modern inventions’, such as DROs and digital calipers, which offer instantaneous conversion between systems will eventually convert us ‘hobby machinists’ - even if only by the fact that most using imperial units will wither away. Keepin mind, though, that models of imperial machines are still easier to shrink by factors of two four six and twelve.

Boxes of tins, etc are often still better sized as dozens - although 5 x 4 (for smaller items) is not a bad format. There are not many boxes which hold ten units.🙂 Six by four offers good inter-locking overlapping when making stacks and may need to become more favourable, rather than holding palletised stacks together with plastic shrink wrapping.

In reply to KB - the answer is invariably “cheaper”. Accountants are not practical in their profession, just money accounters.

Thread: Dore Westbury x slide motorising
19/08/2021 08:21:28

Things to be considered I think

Would it not be better to seriously consider using some of that “ten grand’ and just buy complementary lathe and milling machines (such as Sieg) and retire both myford lathe and DW mill? And still have change after buying the extras like power feeds and DROs?

Thread: small toothed belts
19/08/2021 08:13:24

There is one on my Bosch PHO 2-82 planer. I’ve only needed to change it once in about 30 years of ownership.

Thread: Looking for solution to incorrigibly jumpy needle roller bearings
18/08/2021 14:34:29

Thanks, Nigel.

Thread: Ploughing engine running on air
18/08/2021 09:22:50

Another fantastic working model of our past heritage. Ross is most certainly a very competent and dedicated model engineer.

The only extra comment I could think of was ‘where is the other one, of the pair, and an eight furrow reversible plough?’🙂

I always admire the ploughing demonstrations of these magnificent machines of a previous era. No soil compaction problems, and headlands on every arable field ploughed in this way.

Thread: going carbide on a Myford
18/08/2021 09:04:56

My view? Why bother with this? The clear intention is that of machine replacement (not addition).

See this THREAD

OP, it seems, would be better off simply getting on with spending his ‘up to 10 grand’ on a new machine which would be capable - without messing about with this machine which is clearly considered inadequate.

Thread: Looking for solution to incorrigibly jumpy needle roller bearings
18/08/2021 08:52:24

I would suggest that gearbox/motion translator failure is simply down to poor or non-existent lubrication. Nothing else. The needle roller bearings have failed before the hardened shaft on that gear, I suspect. First we need to know if the gear shafts have actually worn to outside the bearing clearance limits. Without measurements, satisfactory repair is a total lottery - unless all wearing parts are replaced (in which case the repair is likely uneconomic).

At first, I thought they had used non-standard bearings, but clearly(?) they have used a stock bearing. Buying the whole assembly is twice the cost of fitting new bearings. That may result in a repair cost being reduced by about 75% in cost of parts.

My old, approx 1kW, jack hammer runs by a bevel drive with throw of less than 2”(?) using a 7/16th x 5/8” x 1/2” needle roller bearing in the con rod. Clearly, from that video, many are simply incapable of following clear installation instructions for drawn cup needle roller bearings. That was yet another ‘amateurish’ video that made me cringe at his repair methods.

Watching that video was only of use for those that don’t have a diagram showing the construction of the item. For anything else, it was pretty useless and misleading to others, should they follow his utterances. Little wonder that subsequent failures often occur after a short operational period after ‘repair’.

Thread: Is there such a thing as an 'external reamer'?
18/08/2021 08:20:38

A DRO on the cross slide is the most obvious way to go on a manual machine?

Or a single cut on consecutive parts which have previously been roughed to the same size might well suffice, with the cross slide locked.

With the auto long-travel trip on my lathe, I expect I could make some fairly close tolerance parts using that and the cross slide DRO - but I simply would not want to go to the trouble unless making a lot of similar components.

I do know someone who used to make batches of same sized parts, on a manual lathe, for his sole-trader business.. Once set up reproducibility was good enough for his needs, but I don’t know how close his tolerances actually were. His output was regarded as high quality products.

Thread: Lathe gears
17/08/2021 02:51:17

Just start with the set used for the finest thread on your lathe. It will be very close to what you want/need

Thread: Taper reaming
16/08/2021 20:18:28

When I’ve fitted mine it has been after loctiting parts together. Choice of loctite grade is up to me. If it is intended to be permanent, a stronger grade is chosen.

I value my reamers so tend to step drill to reduce the metal that needs to be cut away with the reamer. But I’ve yet to pin anything under an inch diameter…

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
16/08/2021 20:06:09

Ramon,

You might note that 1/64*25.4 is the same as 25.4/64. A few keys saved and, if 25.4 happens to have been saved in the memory, 25.4 is only one press of the memory return key.🙂. If your calculator has a ‘constant’ key, things can be even easier/simpler/shorter/quicker.

I still like slide rule. No batteries, so planet saving. If it is dark same thing, go to bed!

Solar power can be stored in suitable power-packs, so one can continue in bed. Not quite doing without batteries, but still using solar energy 100%. Might also need a little more in the way of solar cells, mind.

I charge our power-packs (rechargeable batteries) from solar, for later use of the stored energy.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest