By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Floating Reamer Holder
19/06/2020 23:56:29

Splendid. A product of some fine engineering skill! Was the ally bronze made to fit a standard ‘C’ spanner? Or are you going to make one (just to finish off the job).🙂

Let’s be seeing the Morse taper part, next, please. I’d like to see how it is done, with a view to making one myself (but nowhere near as easy/good as yours) - if I ever get round tuit!

Thread: GH600 feeds have died.(Not)
19/06/2020 23:02:16

You can’t - unless the mods smile and give you a second chance.🙂 Otherwise here in perpetuity - perhaps to remind you not to jump to hasty conclusions before posting? Most things like this are easily solved by the operator, given a little thought, careful consideration of the signs and symptoms followed by simple diagnosis.

Even obvious mishaps can be useful threads for new starters or the inexperienced.

Thread: Perfecto 5 hand shaper
19/06/2020 20:14:54

John, it can be hard enough pulling the handle without pushing it on the cutting stroke, for handraulic operation. My elbow would not hold out for long if I did that.🙂 Might be OK for a powered machine, mind. The feed advancement would also need to be reversed as well.

Edited By not done it yet on 19/06/2020 20:15:23

Thread: machining acetal
19/06/2020 19:30:39

Rather simpler than as per Howard, I would be sticking it in the vise horizontal and machine a flat. Turned 90 degrees in the vise allows another flat to be cut. With two flats at 90 degrees it should then be easy enough to form a rectangle and then machine that to the required size. Only parallels needed, I would have thought? Might be wrong, of course...

19/06/2020 19:09:46

Posted by ega on 18/06/2020 14:35:08:

I think the answer to NDIY's point about the pivot point of the clapper box is that given the overall dimensions of the parts it would be difficult or impossible to have the tool point trail the pivot.

haperSlideClapperBox.jpg">HERE is one method of arranging a single point cutter to cut beneath the clapper box (pic from Wiki). There are also opportunities with cranked one-piece cutters.

I’m not entirely sure of the optimum cutting edge position but many diagrams show swan-neck cutters as preferable.

Edited By not done it yet on 19/06/2020 19:20:11

Thread: boring head and tools
19/06/2020 18:49:43

Unless the sheet is fairly thick, it is best placed on a piece of sacrificial mdf, or similar, as a support. The last time I cut a hole in thin methacrylate it was done using a router with mdf above and below the sheet.

Thread: Bar top "copper". What is it?
19/06/2020 14:29:49

Poster gives no indication of thickness (to go with bendability). Self help like testing with a magnet, file, saw or angle grinder might be easy checks before asking remotely.

I would expect it to be ferrous with a coating of some description - if copper based, the fitters would likely be keeping it for scrappage income!

Edited By not done it yet on 19/06/2020 14:30:29

18/06/2020 14:34:23

To be honest, I find a wheel to be better than a handle - particularly if shaping vertically - as they are much more easily advanced by small increments.

A handle if you want to keep it original, but a wheel to be more practical, IMO.

Handles were sized with balls such that the overall handle was balanced - not so important when spinning horizontally, perhaps?

Arc have a rotating handle for £6 in their clearance items. I recently got round to adding a handle to my tailstock wheel - where spinning with a handle is handier than winding a plain wheel.

18/06/2020 12:02:39

A good incremental readout is beneficial for a machine operated by hand. The thread pitch on my shapers were designed for when I was much younger, I feel!🙂

I think that it will likely work best when the cutting edge of the tool is directly below that nut on the side of the clapper box.

That is a great little hand shaper. Something to cherish as well as use.

Thread: sievert gas torch
18/06/2020 11:03:58

The screw-in plastic plug is not there as any form of isolation.

It is there to protect the threads and mating surface for the outlet pipe/regulator when in use by the user. Nothing more.

Some people on this thread seem to be limited in knowledge of propane/butane bottles. Flammability of the gas is the greatest danger with these. Explosive flammability.

Now consider a real gas bottle which may be pressurised to 200Bar, perhaps more, not the usual 20Bar that a propane bottle might need to cope with....

Thread: milling machine which one ?
17/06/2020 22:57:23

I keep thinking about adding a 3-axis DRO, but that means some time away from making models - now that's a difficult decision.

You would not regret adding a dro (assuming quality is good). Easier to achieve the same precision as without and more time to get on with making those models. Backlash in dial readings would be a thing of the past.🙂

17/06/2020 22:51:09
Posted by Andy Shepherdson on 17/06/2020 19:38:02:

I’ve finally put my hand in my pocket and bought a Warco WM14. A few bits and bobs to get together and Start making swarf

Andy

Edited By Andy Shepherdson on 17/06/2020 19:39:39

Congratulations! I have to admit my money would have gone to ARC, but I am sure Warco will look after you should there be any problems. My most recent purchase from Warco (this last couple of weeks) was expensive, but I am confident it will be good.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
17/06/2020 17:30:04

Government announcements have not meant a lot to us since early lock-down. I do read and listen to the statistics, but the risk remains very similar to the start of it. My wife has been out in the car twice since lock-down - she is in the list of those at very high risk, so is still ‘shielding’.

What hisses me off is the continued political moaning from those that try to score brownie points instead of im-roving the situation.

What with all the bankers (idiots) who go to raves, demonstrations and most certainly don’t socially distance still need it repeated again and again, until the cows come home. Many are not sharp enough to understand the risks.

As far as I am concerned, we should be like NZ has done. Put the army in charge of quarantine.

Unfortunately the initial response was one of ‘herd immunity’, not eradication of the virus. We have what we have and need to make the best of it. I pick my (1960s mostly) music and keep away from the virus by taking all reasonable precautions.

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
17/06/2020 14:07:38
Posted by Circlip on 17/06/2020 10:21:50:

Made hangers that go over the top edge thickness (Like the ones the roof bars use) with a packer at the bottom to ensure they sit vertical. Was advised by Garage fitters NOT to drill into concrete walls as it could burst the panel. There is a difference in the concrete used for garage panels. There is a reason any holes for fixings are cast in at manufacture.

Regards Ian.

The reason for holes being positioned at manufacture is simply to avoid the erector having to do more than bolt things together and ensure those necessary holes line up! Concrete has good compressive strength but poor in tension - either when drilling thin unsupported sections or affixing things to them.

If parts do not line up, wedges or spacers (shims) are fitted wherever needed. The centre area of panels are much thinner to keep weight (and cost) down, which is why I said I would fix between the vertical joints, from the outside.

All the concrete sections of my garage were pre-tensioned with reinforcing wires, not larger diameter rebar.

IIRC, as visitors, we were not allowed near the pre-tensioned moulds when on site at the local precast concrete works - these were wires stretched over a distance of about 100-150m for railway ‘sleepers’ with several hundred tonnes of tensioning force applied over that length of moulds. Concrete was the usual 40N/mm^2 mix. I expect the sections of my garage are of similar compressive strength.

Structures with smaller panels, fitted between slotted uprights, would have been made like paving slabs - simpler (possibly unreinforced) pressed moulding methods. Those types should definitely not be drilled - either into, or through!

Edited By not done it yet on 17/06/2020 14:10:01

Thread: Wot's this for ? help please
17/06/2020 13:30:56

The clip appears to be a simple spacer, rotating with the shaft/pulley/inner race to crudely prevent the pulley bearing on the outer race. As those components are all totating at the rame speed there should not be a problem. A small diameter washer would suffice just as well.

Are both bearings properly designed to accept axial thrust, I wonder?

17/06/2020 11:17:13

Have they supplied a ‘c clip’ instead of a ‘chuck key’?

Thread: Can summer car tyres be used in winter?
17/06/2020 09:28:12

My Landrover Series lll had the same tyres year round.

Thread: Concrete Garages, Shelving and Catastrophe
16/06/2020 22:16:53

Dunno what you mean by ‘standard’. Nor do you give any indication of the dimensions of your shelving. All useful information to make sensible suggestions.

Mine is over 25 years old and vertical panels are bolted together. I would either drill between the panels and secure from the outside or replace horizontal bolts with longer items and fit decent battens to those longer fixings.

I don’t like ‘no nails’ glue for that application. It is good for some things but, IMO, not all scenarios.

My garage has 100mm of celotex insulation against the panels, so not a choice for me. I put substantial uprigts from the floor to support any shelving at both the wall and outboard edge of shelves.

Thread: Amadeal lathes - Any good??
16/06/2020 18:19:48

If you search for amadeal, there are about 15 results. Reading through them may give you an idea, or two, of other peoples experiences.

Thread: Reciprocating mass instead of flywheel?
16/06/2020 16:41:25

I admit to not reading all the thread so may be repeating what has preceded.

The whole idea of this drake engine is that there is no net stored energy? Equal masses travelling in opposite directions will balance out the forces in any one direction, when stopping ie momentum of the system will be zero, or f=ma = zero.

Rotating flywheels actually store energy which is available to be recovered while slowing down.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest