By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycle 'blipping'...
04/06/2019 14:09:56

We were all young once. I know that I used to wind up my bike at times. Lots of times. What the youngsters do not comprehend is that when they regularly wind the throttle full bore and blast up the road on their way home from work, they can be heard for some considerable distance. It is easy for plod to site their speed traps at the appropriate time and place, if there are complaints.

Thread: Super 7 - Best way to use ER25 Collets
04/06/2019 14:02:03

Backing up SOD’s post, Edgar T Westbury supplied a large amount of plans for home workshop projects. Virtually (?) all used only the lathe as the only powered machine, for making the very practical tools, models,etc.

Hemingway (and others) can supply a range of those projects, and write-ups are to be found in past ME mags. Of course many use other kit than the lathe, but most things can be made with just the lathe and a few hand tools..

A cheap milling attachment can be added to avoid a lot of the time-consuming positioning for drilling etc. I expect the modellers in the middle of the last century became very adept at sorting out how to do a lot with just their lathe at their disposal!

Thread: Perfect solution
04/06/2019 05:46:48

Induction motors are easily rewired to run in the opposite direction. Usually (often?) a wiring connection diagram is included within the terminal cover? Not all single phase motors are of that type, mind, but most are.

Thread: Motorcycle 'blipping'...
04/06/2019 05:40:28

Some modern machines have automatic ‘blippers’ when changing gear. Just another bit of expensive electronic wizardry available to the serious bike riders. Matching engine revs to gear ratio can be important at high speed. Little different from ABS, traction control, etc on modern superbikes.

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 05:30:09

Over twenty years ago someone had (almost) arranged expensive disposal of several kilos of mercury. I intervened and managed to sell it for a very handsome profit, compared to paying for disposal as hazardous waste. My boss of the time was well pleased. It will be recycled - you just cannot just make it disappear. The disposal mob would make a profit from the sale.

Back in the 1960s, the Physics lab had a tongue and grooved floor. Nearly every groove had globules of mercury in them! It is still used for dental fillings, I believe - although my grandchildren should not have that type, should they need dental treatment.

Thread: Changing a Senior M1 from Vertical to Horizontal.
03/06/2019 11:52:58

Not got one, but the Centec head weighs north of 30kg and is awkward and heavy, but I manage it reasonably well in a confined space (I’m north of 70!). That is locating it horizontally, not vertically. The Tom senior head (assuming you are referring to the S-type head) may be even heavier, so it might depend on how high you need to lift it to get it into position...

Thread: Cast iron dust , is it really that bad for lathe beds.
02/06/2019 17:01:56

Cast iron dust , is it really that bad for lathe beds.

The simple answer is “YES”. Would you add cast iron dust to your car engine oil? Thought not.

Thread: Super 7 - Best way to use ER25 Collets
02/06/2019 16:54:19

Old mart,

My question is why bother with a register if it doesn’t? I thought the whole reason for a register was to get a precision fit every time? Spigots are there to add mechanical strength to the fixings (to reduce risk of shearing?).

I would go with a proper registered backplate and a carefully machined spigot for the chuck. If the actual ER chuck was off centre, send it back as ‘not fit for purpose’ (unless it came from bang good, of course.smiley)

Thread: Rage Evolution sliding saws
01/06/2019 22:23:31

Oops. Left out the link, for what it is worth.

**LINK**

01/06/2019 19:13:21

There is always this “reeely cheep cheep” version at seventy five quid, if you want to take a bigger chance!

Thread: How often do you oil your lathe ways?
01/06/2019 06:19:25

Depends on how long between sessions. Sometimes weeks between sessions. Oil costs very little - lathe beds are expensive. Common sense tells me to keep it lubed, rather than run it to death.

Thread: Rage Evolution sliding saws
31/05/2019 18:10:47

Life-time costs should be considered. Simply going for the cheapest initial outlay often works out as the rather more expensive option in the longer run.

Thread: Rejects for Sale.
31/05/2019 14:06:38

Bang good are an established business. Doesn’t make them any less of a shark where quality is concerned. I always say don’t buy from them unless you can afford to throw it away, if faulty.

Thread: Shipping heavy models
31/05/2019 10:11:15

To Denmark or to Maidstone?

Thread: Piston Ring slot
31/05/2019 06:58:49

Increase the width to, say, 1.5-1.6mm and use a parting tool? Ideally 1.6 with a 1.5mm parting tool - rough cut and finishing cut principle?

Thread: Should I have 3 phase supplied to my house?
30/05/2019 19:50:59

One can, of course, put in a large enough VFD to run all the main requirements at the same time (with switching on the VFD output side). Not sure if the really useful bits on a VFD can all be utilised, but if only one machine is operating, the variable speed could be.

Thread: Boxford AUD needing a new Motor
30/05/2019 09:59:08

Bore the old one, if there is enough ‘meat’ in the boss? That is what I did for one motor change.

30/05/2019 09:58:16

deleted. 

Edited By not done it yet on 30/05/2019 09:59:54

Thread: Should I have 3 phase supplied to my house?
30/05/2019 09:54:17

I suggest you take the “someone’s” advice and first find out how much a three phase supply is going to cost you...

Then come back here to those of us that don’t have a clue as to that cost, or make your own calculations on using the single phase supply for running the place.

Thread: Ballscrews?
30/05/2019 09:44:20

I am surprised anyone is now replying. Nine posts on the only thread and likely never to continue. Has ignored virtually all the advice offered and been impolite, too. Totally blinkered, IMO.

Best course of action is to let him get on with it without agreeing with him on anything - and hope he never makes the news for the wrong reasons. Likely take you to court for wrong advice, too, if he survived the accident waiting to happen?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest