By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chuck out of true
08/08/2019 10:16:16

Mad mike,

Go back to the earlier posts (even the first) by Grotto and you will see there is an apparent step change when the chuck suddenly disliked being threaded into position. That is why most attention has been directed towards the threads and registers.

The thread has deviated somewhat since its beginnings.

Edited By not done it yet on 08/08/2019 10:18:24

Thread: First Lathe
08/08/2019 10:06:34

Well set out Dave. About my thoughts, above. I just added a cheaper, probably better alternative to the 254. Larger swing (at least an extra 1/4”, at 10 1/4” +. Note that myford quote swing as more than twice centre height), slightly larger spindle bore, possible (but not so likely) metric lead screw, larger motor and an extra 4” between centres among other similarities.

Add a 3 phase motor with VFD, plus DROs and most lathes are basically ‘metricated”. Certainly far better value than any 254 sale items I have seen, but it doesn’t appear that Nathan wants to save dosh (looking at the ‘wish list’ and budget) or looking at specs quite as low as these?

08/08/2019 08:28:22

BL,

Also misses that 10” minimum swing. How many 254 machines had camlok spindles? Not many, I would have guessed, but as always I may be wrong!

If that lathe were to be an option, a good Raglan 5” might be an alternative (but only with a L-100 spindle nose?). About as rare, I would think! But a good Raglan 5” might cost a third, or less, than a 254!

Making tight specifications, as a requirement, invites an expensive price tag - but it is only a ‘wish list’, after all.

06/08/2019 22:58:00

As Pete, 3 thous is adequate for most work - all turning when you don’t need to remove, and then replace, the job in the chuck.

Thread: Finished my beam engine.
06/08/2019 22:52:23

Like IJ,nothing wrong with the metalwork.

Even the base would look good with the edges routed and then it stained/painted.

Thread: Warco milling machines
06/08/2019 20:45:20

John,

I think you are perfectly safe to fly another day!!

Bomb-proof if you have landed, too!

Thread: Finished my beam engine.
06/08/2019 20:29:45

Malc,

If it is good enough to sell, it is good. Well done. These projects are not a race - it’s only a hobby!

Please show us some pics - or even a vid. I am sure you are being very modest with your model.

I think most put their models on the shelf or use/demonstrate them. Most are likely kept for some time and often make good money when the maker has finally moved on, if their descendants do not have space or (perhaps) any interest at all...sad

Thread: WM18 - Z Axis power feed
06/08/2019 16:34:06

Probably wrong, but not necessarily insurmountable. Might just need some extra balancing forces to reduce the effective weight of the head

Thread: Home built trailer
05/08/2019 23:40:32

Night shift used collect together steel, bring in indespension units and tow hitch - the drive out of the works with a trailer when they clocked off. Not so easy now there are security cameras!smiley

If i were to need another trailer, I would go along to a relevant auction, search out a suitable candidate and bid on it.

Small second hand trailers are likely cheaper than making a new one. There were about six in the sale I went to, at the weekend. Some sold, some didn’t.

Seems like an unbraked trailer is all that is required, so no brakes needed and a lighting board could be used for the electrics?

Thread: Serious question, What is a Mini Lathe?
05/08/2019 23:15:24

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 05/08/2019 22:44:47

Cheap and cheerful maybe, but I think a lot of Mini Lathe owners will be offended by the tail end of that, me included.

Neil

Well, not in the league of a Cowell’s?

They were, and still are, clearly aimed at the cheaper end of the market or for those that would otherwise have insufficient space or primarily first-time buyers. Great for getting into the hobby with a new lathe but not necessarily the lathe they finally settle on (although for some the minilathe might be their one and only size).

Sorry if you take offence, but they seemed to cover a particular niche right at the outset. True they have improved, but the modern minilathe is not the same as when they started, but the description has been marketed for decades, now - simply because it is a fad - just like myfords. Buy into the name because it has history?

I’m surprised some did not develop into something like ‘a compact hobbyist lathe’ for more up-marketing, but I suppose why fix it if it ain’t broke and people still envisage these ‘larger’ minilathes on the market as the same thing, even though larger capacity than the myford was.

05/08/2019 22:19:08

Aren’t most myfords sized at 3 1/2”? Different than with modern lathes - that quote swing rather than centre height?

Same with ER collets. Any lathe accommodate cope most ER collet chucks - one way or another - but they are not necessarily used with the maximum sized cutter they will hold. ER 32 goes down to 2mm, I think?

Lightweight seems to define mini lathes, more than anything else?

Likely small but not with the precision of a watchmaker’s lathe?

So, just a faddy description of a cheap and cheerful lightweight lathe that is only good enough for average precision and attractive to those with not much space and/or money?

Thread: What size milling tool
05/08/2019 22:02:11

Side milling or end milling? HSS cutter?

Side milling uses more of the mill cutting surface and not the most expensive part. Only need to end mill on thicknesses that cannot be easily side milled. Choose your standard surface cutting speed (material of cutter) and the spindle speed will depend on the cutter diameter.

Feed will depend on the number of flutes and depth of feed will depend on power, after that lot has been determined ( but not more than a third of the cutter diameter).

Don’t try to climb mill unless minimal cutting depth as a finishing clean-up cut.

Thread: Collet Chucks out of true
05/08/2019 21:18:56

I doubt you will attain the precision required by using an angle guage. The usual way with a morse taper is to mount a known good item between centres and adjust the top side, using a dial gauge until traversing results in no deflection whatsoever.

ER collets are rather shorter, so more difficult to manage. Either fit a good ER collet over a parallel dowel and use that to set the angle, or check for exactly 4.00mm change over a distance of 28.74mm.

Others may have alternative views.

Thread: Locking Levers
05/08/2019 10:22:57
APosted by Circlip on 05/08/2019 10:00:34:

RS always have been at the top of the cost tree. Even when the RS "Catalogue" was a few sheets of paper folded and stapled together, a 1d resistor was 5d from them. Of course, no Tinternet then or "Where can I buy" instantaneous demands.

Regards Ian.

Yes, always at the top end, but always a dependable product. RS have always retained lines with a good quality label and dependable supply. They don’t sell ‘cheap carp’, as far as I have ever seen.

Thread: RENAULT DAUPHINE
04/08/2019 12:07:09
Posted by Howi on 04/08/2019 09:51:37:

had a Singer chamois (luxury version of the imp!!!) then soild it to buy a Ginetta G15, got 100mph on the motorway but had to hold on to the dash to stop it vibrating so I could read the speedo.

very disconcerting when a bus pulled up beside you, you got a very close view of the wheelnuts, ones bum was about 4 inches off the ground, ooh! err! missis!

Steering wheel was about 8" in diameter, didn't need much turning to get round a corner.

them were the days eh?

Was that disconcerting bit at 100mph? Speedos were always optimistic. I used my rev counter to check the speed more accurately. Motorway markers ans stopwatch gave a good measure of actual speed if one could keep at a constant speed for, say,10km.

Thread: Dam Solution?
04/08/2019 11:53:26

C’mon guys. Syphon is caused by gravity alone. The weight of the column of water below the level in the source will follow the rules of gravity which Newton sorted out for us some 300 years ago.  Atmospheric pressure will only affect the level in the pipe in as far as it will fill to the same level as the surroundings, nothing more! Only that reduced pressure (in a head of less than 9.81m) will be causing the atmospheric pressure to drive the water up the header, until the forces are in equilibrium.  Forces will be in equilibrium when a vacuum space appears above the liquid in the header. Or the level of the source and receiver are equal.

The famous 9.81m is only applicable for standard atmospheric pressure here on Earth, for water of unit density. It would be more or less, dependent on where the syphon was set up - Earth, Moon, Mars for instance. That static height is fixed by atmospheric pressure, gravitational fields and density of the liquid involved.

Think mercury barometer. The instantaneous height of the mercury column depends on the prevailing atmospheric pressure. The general height also depends on the density of the liquid - Mercury is 760mm, and a water barometer would be ~10 m (errors come in due to the difference in gas vapour pressures above the liquid.

One would not even manage to make a sensible barometer with a volatile iquid like ether as it would actually boil at room temperature under any sort of high vacuum.

Gravity and mass create the weight of everything (the force which, for syphoning is an unbalanced force, so Newton’s Laws of linear motion will apply and the unsupported water clumn will accelerate according to those Laws).

Other things to think about when syphoning, is to consider the diameters and fluid mechanics of flow, along with a pipe that will not collapse under the conditions applied 9often happens when syphoning beer or wine from one bucket to another using a plastic pipe!).

One underlying principle is that liquids are incompressible (measured with equipment available to us laypersons). That makes them unexpandable by the same reasoning.

End of tutorial. Sort out the rest yourselves!

Edited By not done it yet on 04/08/2019 12:01:41

Thread: good service Arc eurotrade
02/08/2019 09:45:10

That was nothing unusual or particularly outstanding for Arc’s service. Seems to be just their normal excellent mode of order-processing.smiley

Postie is definitely the limiting link in the supply chain.

I like to call in for my bits, when I am close. I find the friendly and helpful banter is always a pleasurable feature of my visits. It is my first call for bits these days.

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
02/08/2019 09:27:33

Posted by Robin Graham on 01/08/2019 23:45:13:

I think my best plan is to stay with ADSL and try to find a cheaper and more 'amenable' ISP - maybe I could renegotiate with TalkTalk but after my last experience with their customer service I really don't want anything to do with them if it can be avoided.

Robin

That was exactly my view of them - apart from an intermittent and/or very slow service on lots of occasions. They were simply not the best service (since demonstrated by our new ISP). But until then, we had no idea of how good, or bad, other ISPs were in comparison.

My view was that you usually hear of the horror stories but the ‘run of the mill’ satisfied customers vastly out-number those, but never get heard from. With that lot the service was definitely poor. I found them similar to my previous energy supplier - always after more money monthly (even when well in credit already) without any improvement in service.

On a separate note, we still get umpteen spam calls about out service being stopped unless we do something quick (like give out our bank details?). My wife puts that down to their loss of customer data to hackers back-when.

02/08/2019 09:01:42
Posted by David George 1 on 02/08/2019 08:46:49:

When you come to finnish the diamiters on a back plate, take care that it is not warm as when it cools the size changes, a bore will shrink and an outside diamiter nice fit will be loose.

David

Spot on. I found that on the first back plate I machined about 25 years ago. I very carefully cut the spigot, for the chuck, to a nice close fit - but it was much looser the next time I tried it. There was plenty of metal, so I cut it again, as I recall. An undercut at the inside corner of the spigot is also important if the chuck has a square corner. This is because they are unlikely to fit together perfectly without some clearance at that point.

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
01/08/2019 18:32:14

The point was that as you used the inappropriate prefix for the number (wrong case) you might also have used the wrong case for the item, so the reader would not know whether you actually meant bytes or bits.

Lower case m is the SI unit of length, nothing else. kM does NOT mean kilometres. Usual convention would mean a Mm is actually 1000km - not a mm but a stupid example that you may not understand?

So, did you mean bytes or bits? Sloppy use of units is not a clever situation when ambiguity is wantonly introduced by a poster.

Edited By not done it yet on 01/08/2019 18:33:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest