By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rover V8 drilling valve guides
12/06/2019 22:30:59
Posted by Paul Kemp on 12/06/2019 21:18:43:

I would assume it's to preserve the fit. Every time you press something out the hole gets a teeny bit bigger. Drilling them out first reduces the bulk of material and relaxes the strength of the fit hence reducing the growth of the hole and preserving the original tolerance.

Paul.

And the replacements? One method is to bore and fit bushes inside the existing, another is to fit waisted guides (if fitted from the outside). Yet another is to knurl the guides or fit over-sized ones. I expect a loctite product would help retain guides (until the head is overheated).

Warming an aluminium head, with iron guides, will make the job a lot easier of course.

I’ve only ever replaced guides in cast iron heads, but never had a problem with pressing, or even thumping them out and in. We used to be able to ream the worn guides and fit new valves with oversized stems back in the 1970s!

Thread: High performance Torx bits
12/06/2019 22:16:09

Years ago (~30), I persuaded one firm to change from cheap (and nasty) screws to Reisser. Used 1000s without any problem (compared to the soft posidrive screws in use previously. The extra cost exceeded the aggravation caused by the cheap screws.

Reisser posidrive screwdriver bits proved equally successful.

I would expect the same for their torx options of the current day. But anyway, going to a proper tool and fixings supplier should get you the advice required.

The last posidrive #3 tips have come from Highland Industrial Supplies or from my local bolt and nut supplier (Sterling Bolt and Nut Co). Yes, more expensive than a pack of rubbish tips but so much better in the long run. I no longer use many of any, at my age, but I believe quality counts for more than cheapness, every time.

Thread: Electricity Supply
12/06/2019 21:41:59

Regarding heating of domestic properties - there are already heat pumps which can provide more space heating than the gas used to generate the electricity used by the pump. (Use the gas to produce electricity and then use the electricity to run a heat pump with an advantageous COP (Coefficient Of Performance)). Clearly the electrical supply will need to be reinforced for the change. But remember that natural gas is a finite resource. North Sea gas has mostly been used up in the last 50 years. Something will have to change, sooner or later. No point in sticking one’s head in the sand and ignoring the reality of the situation.

Many houses are still poorly insulated. Many houses are heated throughout which, again, is unnecessary. Already high-rise buildings are built without a gas supply because of the explosion risk. Better house building techniques may well be needed. But things can not go on as they have done for the last 60 years - something must change.

A relative in Canada had a ground source heat pump heating system installed about 30 years ago (perhaps more). The house is a proverbial mansion. Ground-source is rather more expensive to install but should have a far better COP than air sourced heat pumps. Technology is improving all the time.

Thread: Rover V8 drilling valve guides
12/06/2019 20:46:58

Is it a factory instruction to drill them out? I would have thought simply pressed out and pressed in?

Thread: Illegal CD copy
12/06/2019 09:45:51

In reply to barnaby, I hate giving my money to thieves. It only encourages them to thieve even more. It’s very much akin to handling stolen goods.

I hate thieves who go around stealing and damaging peoples property and creating a mess and distress along the way. You lot, who are then selling on this stolen property are at the bottom of the heap too, along with those that break into other’s property.

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 09:27:23
Posted by Steamer1915 on 12/06/2019 08:36:57:

That looks like a nice lathe there. The only thing to point out is that it doesn't have a power cross feed as you have implied.

Maybe, as a non-modeller/machinist, he only meant ‘cross’ as being from left to right?

12/06/2019 09:15:18
Posted by Anthony Knights on 12/06/2019 03:57:07:

I have an friend in the local pub who's job is connecting BIG cables to sub-stations, wind turbines etc. I guess he is going to be busy for the next 20 years.

He won’t be the only one doing it! smiley Lots of fossil fuel workers will be looking for alternative employment, for a start.

11/06/2019 23:05:16
Posted by Bob Brown 1 on 11/06/2019 22:53:45:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/06/2019 22:42:04:

Be happy [at least if you live where the sun shines] : **LINK**

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-48530488/the-solar-power-charged-electric-cars-making-money

MichaelG.

May work on a tiny island (12 x 6 miles) with very few roads but lets get real out side of a small island it isn't going work.

Why not?  Modellers take full size machines and scale them down, so why should this not work, scaled up, on a bigger island?

Not necessarily including the UK here as it is clearly at a different latitude, but no reason why is might not work to some extent?

Edited By not done it yet on 11/06/2019 23:08:40

Thread: Should I have 3 phase supplied to my house?
11/06/2019 18:50:33
Posted by choochoo_baloo on 11/06/2019 16:23:35

I would normally ignore this sort of remark, but you've hacked me off by doing it twice in this thread.

What we don't need is your flippant remarks. Aren't we lucky that there are such clever people like you about who know all of these things.

As a newcomer, I remain grateful for the advice I continue to get from 90% of contributors on this site.

Edited By choochoo_baloo on 11/06/2019 16:23:54

Perhaps my first post that ‘hacked you off’ was the suggestion to find out the cost yourself, which you have subsequently managed to do? Exactly the ‘advice’ you needed? Lots of members of the forum don’t ask many questions because a little research often supplies the answer to their queries.

How much better it might have been to post a thread outlining the different costs just to demonstrate how much cheaper the VFD/converter route was?

Two phone calls (or emails) - one to Transwave and one to your power supplier - would clearly have saved a great deal of wasted effort.

11/06/2019 10:41:55
Posted by Anthony Knights on 11/06/2019 09:38:46:

Hi David Bingham . At last some one gets the point I was trying to get across. Regarding smart meters, one can imagine the following, "Can't get to work today boss because they disconnected me and the car isn't charged."

Edited By Anthony Knights on 11/06/2019 09:42:24

Yes, but....

Your fear of this happening is just that - your fear.

It is not going to happen. There will not be 30 million fully electric cars on the roads for years to come - if ever.

If there are, there will be safeguards for the supply system. Let reality kick in, rather than burying your head in the sand, worrying about things that are not going to happen. The time of BEVs with too small range has already passed. No more excuse - apart from those that can’t organise themselves , or want an excuse to have a day off - than there is nowadays.

Your arguments are unfounded and inaccurate at the very least. Right from your first post.

It doesn’t take 30 years to change transformers in sub-stations. Yes, it would cost a lot. But it can be done.

Thread: Hi from Mid Lincs
11/06/2019 10:04:13

Wow, that is some weight for a relatively small lathe! Does the base account for a good part of it? It appears, from lathesdotco that it was a precision piece of kit when made. Hope it cleans up well and can be returned to near original spec.

What do you call mid-Lincs? I’m definitely in south Lincs - virtually on the county boundary.

I’m like Mick, but still have a Raglan 5” and the mill. Your ‘old’ mill appears to be a quality piece of kit, too.

Thread: Annealing Mild Steel
10/06/2019 22:56:16

Mild steel can’t be hardened and tempered like higher carbon steels or alloyed with other elements.. The stresses are confined mostly to the surface where the metal has been deformed, so affects cold-rolled steel and not hot-rolled.

BMS can bend awfully if the surface skin is machined from one side. So cracking is likely due to the surface stresses being further ‘shoved around’.

Heating to a suitable temperature for an appropriate time will certainly allow crystal structures to ‘even out’ and surface stresses to be relieved. Continued bending of hot-rolled strips, while cold, will cause cracks eventually, unless the new stresses are relieved and the crystal structure can relax.

So it is the cold rolling process which causes the problem and further cold bending simply exacerbates it.

Whether stress-relieved BMS is as stiff as when cold rolled might depend on how hot it gets. Too hot and it will certainly be no stiffer than hot-rolled.

Thread: Another "What is it?"
10/06/2019 18:28:49

Several pics/vids on the net if you search on ‘goggle’. Must be some information there.

10/06/2019 18:20:03

In another 100 years, car ownership may be bygone necessity. Long overtaken by other means of transport or readily available, for all, at the press of a few buttons on whatever the mobile phone metamorphoses into over that period of time.

Thread: A Very Nice Freebie
10/06/2019 15:31:18

Lucky B! Only possible downside would be that it is imperial - but that would not bother me one iota - especially at that price!smiley I very much doubt it will bother you, either.

Thread: Why a round bed?
10/06/2019 15:26:35

50kg heavy? A bag of cement or fertiliser weighed that amount when I was younger. Only baby bags of cement these days!

Thread: Problem with slitting saw arrangement...
10/06/2019 13:02:50

It must/should be tight enough to resist full motor load without turning. Turning will eventually destroy the taper, if not much sooner. Over-tightening needs to be avoided, too, as that might require excessive force to remove the MT. How it is removed can also be a factor to consider. I prefer to use wedges for removal, if appropriate, if the taper does not come free with a light tap of a soft metal-faced mallet.

One situation to avoid is placing a colder MT shaft into a warmer socket - and achieving a shrink fit situation!

Thread: Illegal CD copy
10/06/2019 12:43:49

A bit out of season, Mike. But for those who don’t know who Noddy is:

**LINK**

Thread: Horizontal Bandsaw - Final Thoughts
10/06/2019 11:26:11
Posted by ChrisB on 10/06/2019 10:57:08:

What's the max thickness you plan to use most?

A Femi 780XL can go up to 4" dia, on my Nebes TM101 I have cut up to 4.5" dia solid steel, and the motor is a 1000W - much better then the ones listed above.

He wants 152.4mm (see previous posts) which is clearly available - at a price, or at a quality. A third bigger than that Nebes TM101. He would need the model TM176 (we don’t actually know if his 152.4mm is in one dimension or two, but assume it is only in one direction as some of those ones listed in the OP won’t cut 150mm deep).  The axminster will only cut 125mm round, so what does he really want/need?

Edited By not done it yet on 10/06/2019 11:32:36

Thread: Noise Cameras
10/06/2019 11:02:24

When they say ‘cameras’ do they really mean video cameras with audio recording? Might be OK to trap particular offenders but not a good idea for a ‘blanket’ system.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest