By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
23/06/2020 06:39:50
Posted by Paul Kemp on 22/06/2020 23:53:20:

I didn't see any specific seller referred too? Did I miss something?

Paul.

Yes, you did. Read Barrie’s post? Specific enough? It was for me.

If you haven’t seen their ‘phoney’ reviews plastered across youtube, wherever they can attract ‘reviewers’ with free gifts (at least), you may be living in a sheltered world.🙂 That, or you believe these reviews and accept them as completely reliable?

I live in the real world. There are some completely honest people and there are also some that would rook you. ‘Influencers’ are called that for a very good reason. I’ve been around long enough to have encountered the whole range of honesty, or otherwise...

VAT-free, free delivery (and there are others) are just not true (if VAT registered or unless delivered locally, respectively). Even ‘item location’ on ebay items is not always true, either - I know that because I have had at least one item delivered directly from China, even though supposedly posted from the UK!

Thread: Cross drill attachment - Super 7
23/06/2020 05:36:54

Honest reviewer haha , not a chance.

Honest, there was one! I’ll send you a link to the video. Items had ‘close enough’ angles for most but would not stand upright when checked with a square and easily dinged (from her being easily able to fettle the rough edges).

I reckon that likely as many as half (perhaps more?) of their reviewers are a). Not particularly precision machinists (a bit like me, ha ha!), b) Give a lot of these items away, or c). Never, use them after reviewing them ‘eulogistically’ because they are not really good enough for purpose.

I won’t buy anything from them that I couldn’t afford to throw away if it was faulty. I’ve still got the offending morse taper that wasn’t quite anywhere near right (rattled in the machine taper). Buy cheap, buy twice.🙂

PM arriving soon.

23/06/2020 00:08:44

Nah, it’s not you causing the trouble. It is the free-loading advertisers and suppliers that are the problem.

Do you know of a completely honest reviewer? I only know of one and she was not provided with any more free gifts, for her to review, after she pointed out the warts as well as the better points (if there really were any - apart from the dirt-cheap price🙂 ).

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
22/06/2020 23:46:57

The one specific seller referred to simply solicits free advertising on youtube with countless reviews that are always favourable to the product. Payment to the reviewer is by means of free goods and we know that they (some) receive commission if goods are bought through their channels.

References from the forum simply spread that free advertising to the forum. I can envisage any and/or all the forum supporters not being happy to see others getting free advertising. They should pay for it like everyone else.

Only earlier today someone on another forum (entirely sponsored by one company) had a poster asking which of four quotes should be accepted for a project. The best reply was to get a fifth quote from the forum sponsor. Quite right in my view. Links to competitor’s products are removed regularly on that forum if the sponsor supplies the same product. Quite right, too.

22/06/2020 19:07:31

You are correct. Up to 120 volts DC - provided it is ripple free. I am surprised at that as DC, if it is nasty enough to give you a jolt, is likely to cause muscle contraction, preventing one from letting go of anything that is grasped. Would you guarantee that voltage is fully smoothed?

Edited By not done it yet on 22/06/2020 19:08:24

Thread: The cost of cheap (Free) materials
22/06/2020 18:54:38
Posted by JasonB on 22/06/2020 18:21:39:
Posted by not done it yet on 22/06/2020 17:26:26:

I

You don’t think that Myford Boy (on you tube) buys in freshly produced aluminium for his casting projects, do you?

He certainly buys in the ZL12 Ingots

Sorry, not picky proof without the “all’ which I should have inserted between the ‘for’ and ‘his’.

22/06/2020 17:26:26

If my brother gets excess structural steel left over from a job, I am quite happy to use that steel.

I know of someone, recently, that paid a fiver for a metre length of 50mm x 3mm square steel tube. Not stolen!

I cut up an exercise bike recently, for the steel for a cutting and welding job. Should be OK as it was all welded together originally. More than adequate to make the support for a cutting table conversion of the band saw, for vertical operation. I expect I shall retain some round from it, too.

Anyone want the cast wheel? It is about 300mm diameter x 25mm at the rim. Still has a free-wheeling sprocket affixed to it.

I’ve often annealed steel shafts from scrap agricultural machinery - as long as the material machines OK. Stick a piece in the kiln, heated on E7 power and left to cool slowly.

You don’t think that Myford Boy (on you tube) buys in freshly produced aluminium for his casting projects, do you?

I have a stock of bought-in materials as well, of course.

I have machined down socket drive extension bars before now. And lots of other bits, too.

22/06/2020 16:30:35

I note Jason/Neil is/are doing his/their best to erase any reference to the ‘offending’ items.

Just one question: As the motor can operate at 100V DC, are the conductors, feeding the motor, covered with two layers of insulation? If not the motor will definitely not be approved - safety-wise - for use in the UK. I suspect it has no CE approval for that reason (and likely among others, as well).

Also it does not appear to be provided with any earthing protection. A veritable death trap IMO.

Edited By not done it yet on 22/06/2020 16:35:07

Thread: Digital angle gauges
22/06/2020 13:36:43

I still use a lowly lidl (Powerfix?) angle finder/measurer/gauge. Works close enough for me. Comes in handy for measuring lengths and drawing straight lines, too. Likely cost a tenner when new and has been around for three or four years so far. It has gone through one 2032 lithium cell in that time (on its second). Hangs on a nail, so handy to find.

Anything that only reads to 0.1 degrees cannot, IMO, really be claimed as ‘accurate’ to that degree (pardon the pun). Repeatability is not the same as accuracy.

Thread: Buying first lathe
22/06/2020 12:31:37

I would add that I have encountered two such unfortunate individuals who bought lathes rather ‘blind’ in the past year. Both likely paid three, or more, times the price they should/could.

Both thought they were getting a reasonable deal but were clearly ‘ripped’ by the sellers. Another was intending to buy a lathe at the BIN price which was twice the amount it actually sold for, at auction.

Only last night I saw one advert (not a lathe) for a used item (on sale by a large supplier at £235 with ‘free’ delivery) at the advertised price of £275 + delivery! The main dealer is actually out of stock at present, but this item is one that is sold by several suppliers (with the usual different paint schemes).

Having said all that, my brother needed an air hood for work and had to pay far more than the discounted prices before the pandemic. None available from most usual stockists. It was still cheaper than his local supplier, mind.

Thread: Tramming Milling Machine
22/06/2020 05:52:44

Have you perused the page of threads, which comes up if you insert ‘tramming’ into the search box? There will be others with other search variations.

Edited By not done it yet on 22/06/2020 05:53:02

Thread: Model Engineer Beam Engine - 9/16 Brass Ball Bearings
21/06/2020 18:24:26

15mm brass might be appropriate. If the weight is important, it is easier to drill deeper than fill with a more dense material. The last brass balls I wanted came from my local bearing supplier (ABC) - Ii would have settled for steel but that was all they had in the size I wanted, at the time. They were till cheap enough, IMO.

Thread: Floating Reamer Holder
21/06/2020 11:33:55

Unfortunately my lathe is not in that category but adequate.

Being a bit of the devil here - does that indicate it is a more modern lathe of far eastern manufacture?😈

My kit is mostly ‘old iron’ - the only far eastern items being tooling, the rotary tables being the largest items.

Thread: Making Parallels
21/06/2020 11:19:00

Bearing outer races are good as ‘button’ spacers.

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 11:14:29

You need to get rid of that mole, too! They can play havoc if you have a nice lawned area!

Thread: Perfecto 5 hand shaper
20/06/2020 16:14:44

I remove the clapper box and fit a solid piece into which is threaded a solid bar (with cutter) for cutting Internal keyways. Just have to progress very slowly. Makes no odds which way I cut, I think, but still pulling, not pushing, the handle is better as the machine was designed that way.

Thread: Making Parallels
20/06/2020 16:03:27
Posted by old mart on 20/06/2020 15:14:49:

I have loads of parallels in pairs, and they are essential for use with a mill, but have never used any with a lathe.

Never ever needed to load a short, large diameter work-piece with clearance from the chuck face or to just protrude from the jaws? Easy with a couple of parallels.

Thread: UNF reducing bush
20/06/2020 15:52:18
Posted by Ed Duffner on 20/06/2020 14:56:38:

A few results from Google <here> ...will need some further lookup from the results, based on the required application (air, water, gas etc).

Search term "7/8 male to 3/4 female UNF reducer". You could also try 'coupler'.

Ed.

They are adaptors, not bushes. I expect that is likely what the OP needs, mind.(see Rod’s post earlier).

Thread: Floating Reamer Holder
20/06/2020 13:34:23

notice the drop of the reamer as it exits the hole.

Is it not bound to drop? I would not expect anything else. Especially if the designed-in clearance for reamer lateral movement happens to be in the vertical plane?

Thread: Perfecto 5 hand shaper
20/06/2020 13:29:28
Posted by ega on 20/06/2020 09:01:12:

NDIY:

Did you mean the first photo in the Wiki? Hard to be sure but it was not clear to me that the tool point was immediately below the pivot point.

As I wrote in my previous post on this - I am not to sure of the ideal position for the cutting tip. I have a comprehensive guide to shaper use somewhere - likely on another tablet - which explains all the nuances of shaper usage.

It is something to do with tendency for potential dig-ins (if anything flexes?). Too far forward and the dig-in would proceed and cause trouble, whereas in the correct position the cut would not be compromised - too far back and the cutter might ‘skate) over the item.

I’m not going to search for the tome unless/until I need to refer to it again for my own handraulic shaping, but it is clear, from that pic, that the cutting edge can be moved further back if necessary.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest