By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
20/10/2019 14:26:44
Posted by steamdave on 19/10/2019 16:31:19:

When I visited GEARS over in Portland OR, the ladies of the exhibitors were not left out on a limb looking disinterestedly at the engines while hubby was rapt: they had their own display (in the same building) of their crafts, mostly quilting and needlework sort of things. It was very noticeable how many of the men went and viewed them.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Francis was quietly making lace at the Midlands show, on the Thursday - don’t know if she persisted for all days.

That was one way to pass the time.... She was actually getting quite a lot of attention while we were in that area of the show. Lacemaking is ‘basically’ a simple operation. Lacers only use four sticks at any one time and there are only two stitches - a full (cloth)- and half- stitch. If you could manage the first, the second is easier! Most of the rest is ‘crosses’ and ‘twists’ - with a few other manipulations thrown in when required. The real skill is making it all look neat and appealing - as well as designing patterns, choosing appropriate threads, etc....

Thread: Slideways oil
20/10/2019 14:03:30

If you mean WD40, a waste of money - less than a quarter is of lubricating oil - and only a light oil. Some is simply volatiles so evaporates and likely close to 10% is ‘inert’. All this from a quick look-see at wiki. Rest is mostly paraffinitic hydrocarbons, I suspect, so little lubricating properties for the most part.

What you might have come across, recently, is anyone’s guess. Slideways oil adverts could be for anything, and with a wide range of compositions - from good to snake oil.

Thread: Bearing fit
19/10/2019 06:59:37

The area of the inner and outer surfaces can be considerable. Clearly a properly operating bearing requires “support” so needs a gap-filler when shafts/housings are out of spec.

Some consideration of this and the need to dismantle might be far more sensible than reaching for the strongest, most permanent offering available as the ‘dumb’ option for any and every instance a problem may arise?

Thread: Aldi Metal Bandsaw
18/10/2019 16:45:19
Posted by ChrisB on 17/10/2019 20:12:21:
Posted by not done it yet on 17/10/2019 20:02:01:
Posted by Pat Bravery on 17/10/2019 11:12:02:
. Is it a normal practice to cut dry on bandsaws?

It is on mine. Specifically states ‘cut dry’.

If the pulleys are not all metal then it is a 'cut dry' saw. Mine has cast iron pulleys and likes oil a lot.

I have no reason to believe the wheels on mine are not metallic. Most likely Aluminium. But they do have a friction coating/covering and that is non metallic. No ‘tyres’ on yours? Quite unusual, I would think? I assume my saw band would like some lubrication/cutting oil, but the rim material would not. Can’t manage all the requirements all of the time, so as the instructions say ‘dry’ dry it is.

18/10/2019 16:34:26
Posted by Pat Bravery on 18/10/2019 05:59:32:

Did you read the ‘destruction’ manual? If it says cut dry it probably means cut dry.smiley

At the risk of making myself look stupid, where in the instructions does it say to use the saw dry? I have read it a few times and I can't see it but then I am getting on a bit. Regards Pat

I did use the word “if”. That is exactly what I meant.smiley

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
17/10/2019 21:51:12

They sited the lecture theatre inside the exhibition hall and the noise from the hall was horrendous. I was considering going to two, but gave the second a miss because of that.

Other than the catering queues, it was a good show. Third time and will go again next year. An expensive day out, but at least the expenditure on goodies should come in useful.smiley Plenty of ideas and inspiration from the show, as well.

Thread: Lister advice
17/10/2019 21:37:49

Do you not have a stud remover (and installer) - I mean a tool for undoing studs, not a ‘broken stud extractor’ (which are mostly a waste of time and likely to cause more damage)? Usually found as part of a quality socket set, or as separate additions to sets. Heat will certainly help...

One like this:

**LINK**

Two nuts locked together will sometimes aid unscrewing studs, from engine blocks for instance. But long studs may well twist.

17/10/2019 20:02:01
Posted by Pat Bravery on 17/10/2019 11:12:02:
. Is it a normal practice to cut dry on bandsaws?

It is on mine. Specifically states ‘cut dry’.

Thread: VFD Instructions
17/10/2019 19:57:01

It is likely that a grossly oversized VFD would not recognise an overload for a small motor and let the smoke out of it. I would expect that double might be OK, but 4 times might be OK until a fault occurs... Ie. A 1.5kW VFD would see an overloaded small motor as a normal-size loaded motor.

Edited By not done it yet on 17/10/2019 19:57:53

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
17/10/2019 07:09:17
Posted by Mark Rand on 16/10/2019 22:17:30:
Posted by John Haine on 16/10/2019 19:47:09:

My local contact advises approach up or down the Fosse Way as the A425 to the west is closed!

Is that because the nice folks in Radford Semele have got fed up with those weird model engineering chaps coming past every year?

I'm going tomorrow because SWMBO has got the car on Friday and Saturday.

Edited By Mark Rand on 16/10/2019 22:19:51

I doubt it! Might be the ‘straw that breaks the camel’s back’ but I expect there are many different weird exhibition-goers passing through as our show is not the only one occurring each year.smiley

I’m on my way in about an hour or so.

Thread: Limiting pressure to a gauge
17/10/2019 07:02:49

Do remember that a positive displacement pump must have an outlet - or it will destroy itself. Unless it is built to resist extremely high pressure. The drive is often the limiting area, but I have seen hydraulic pump housings cracked in half (normally operating at close to 300 Bar, mind).

16/10/2019 17:29:56
Posted by Pat Bravery on 16/10/2019 17:23:45:

I have had to return my Aldi bandsaw today as it kept throwing the saw blade, I checked it out and the rubber tyres on the drive wheels had started to disintegrate. It was probably caused by using thin oil as a lubricant when making cuts, has anyone else experienced this? I have always used this method so I will try using the saw dry when the new one arrives. I have to say that Aldi were very good and the refund was no problem at all. Regards Pat

Did you read the ‘destruction’ manual? If it says cut dry it probably means cut dry.smiley

Thread: Lidl grinder/belt sander 29.99
15/10/2019 18:15:31
Posted by old mart on 14/10/2019 21:40:04:

I went shopping in Lidl today, and bought one of the mains powered 20 watt LED spotlights for £14.99. You have to connect your own cable, three core, and I had a spare computer power lead. The light is designed to work outside, so it is waterproof. There is a remote control which fortunately has a continuous light mode as I fancied using it on the Tom Senior mill. Having one as a machine light gives 1500 lumens, which dazzled me while I was trying to make sense of the remote without having read the instructions first. Two of these on a mill would be great and not break the bank. The size is 7" by 5" by 1 1/2" deep. Check it out on the Lidl website.

Keep your receipt.emotion The warranty, if three years, might be needed. I staple the receipt inside the ‘destruction’ manual, hole punch the manual and store in a ring binder - otherwise they easily get lost. One PIR controlled LED I have sometimes flickers for some time when it turns on, but I’m not sure if that one is ex Lidl. They are improving these lamps all the time, of course.

Thread: Combined interests?
15/10/2019 18:00:21

I sort of got both! This was it with the keyboard thingy:

Oops!

You came looking for 808s.
Instead you got 404.

Thread: Brake band friction lining
14/10/2019 19:26:30

If they are any good, they should be able to supply or fit. Be patient!

Thread: Help and advice on a drill bit for hardened steel
14/10/2019 15:30:04

I’m in the Howard camp on this one. Just don’t break anything carbide in the hole or the problem may well multiply.

I tend to use left handed drills, but one must drill right down the centre if expecting the stud to turn out easily.

Welding, drilling (even dissolving in alum might be appropriate on the odd occasion in the right circumstances - I just removed a broken tap from a brass item that way - although this is presumably into steel as even really tough bolts are not usually needed into aluminium).

Guessing it is a 3/8” stud? Good luck without any effective alignment aids.

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
14/10/2019 07:14:15

My advice, and it is free so as cheap as you can get, is not to go the bang good way.

Collets all needed checking and most needed fettling before use, but seem to be satisfactory now. However the collet holder was scrap. It HAD be replaced because it WOULD have destroyed both my cutters and my machine spindle.

That made buying from them no less expensive than buying better quality from elsewhere.

ER collets are a precision system. No better than your machine when in use, but can maintain your overall system TIR to the minimum attainable.

People often use them for items where workpieces are removed from and refitted to the collet, expecting concentricity. Generally far better than most 3 jaw chucks, but if you are relying on good concentricity (on replacement in the collet) buy good ones. Buy from a reliable suppler who does not supply ‘out of spec’ items and with a good warranty record.

’Nuff said?

Thread: What solenoid to use?
13/10/2019 21:59:44

While some (most) ventilation can be positively avoided, do not cover any ventilation designed to provide a draught for fuel burning appliances. As you say you only want to close those with flaps, you may well be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Thread: Built-up edge
13/10/2019 21:51:20

A hot solution of 25% caustic soda is not a nice combination and ppe should be selected appropriately.

The cause is that the aluminium has reached a sufficiently high temperature at the shear point and actually melted the metal. Sharp cutters and, as above coolant/lubricant will mostly avoid the problem, as will machining more slowly (the combination of speed, depth and feed) if cutting dry.

Remember Aluminium melts at only 660 Celsius (think here that heavy machining of steel can produce red hot chips), so momentarily melting the surface at the shear point of the Aluminium, while not the whole chip (heat will be conducted through the material very quickly, so no radiant light output like steel).

Thread: Plinth size?
13/10/2019 17:54:28

Pgk pgk

As soon as I saw your comment “ for the lazy” I immediately thought of standing a circular plinth on one - a Lazy Susan.smiley Could then have the writing all the way round the edge...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest