By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unimat milling table damage
06/06/2022 21:47:06

I would say that if the first pic is a manufacturer pic, they should likely be ashamed.

The Jacobs type chuck key, if it belongs to the milling table easily gives the impression that the Jacobs style chucks are suitable for milling purposes. But they most certainly are not! If it is for a special type of chuck, or the text gives an instruction/warning, fair enough.

Thread: Glue for glass to plastic
05/06/2022 21:48:58

Hot glue gun?

Contact adhesive?

Re-make the windows with a couple of ledges, to at least reduce the held edges (to combat expansion/contraction?

Thread: JB Weld
05/06/2022 10:55:55

Some people talk plain rubbish. Especially when they don’t actually know.

Yes, I have watched some of his videos. Fair tests? Not in my book! He doesn’t seem to know what a fair test actually is. I’ve certainly not watched all his videos - I will not waste my time doing that.

Yes, I have used JB weld. Good stuff for the purposes I have used it for.

My cringe was that of using that particular youtuber as supplying information fit for purpose.

I don’t comment unless I have an opinion. After a lifetime of repairing things I generally know what is needed to make a good repair. If I don’t, there are plenty around that I can turn to for help.

That you are convinced - good. Some are easily convinced. I’m not, so don’t expect me to agree with what that bloke shows on his videos. His videos are no better than quite a few I could mention, but won’t.

Edited By not done it yet on 05/06/2022 10:56:11

05/06/2022 06:10:30

Has to be made in the USA to have a chance of coming out top, for that guy.

Not watched it, but I avoid his videos with a vengeance - unless I want a ‘laugh’.!

Likely unfair on this product, but there!

Edited By not done it yet on 05/06/2022 06:11:38

Thread: Grinding and cutoff discs for angle grinders
05/06/2022 06:06:04

Amperage? Could be twice the UK value if you are on 110V supply.

Also depends on the disc diameter.

Most manufacturers make different ‘grades of machine, dependent on usage.

More info required. A lot more.

Thread: Failed Miller Transportation
04/06/2022 15:56:36
Posted by DiogenesII on 04/06/2022 15:19:50:

Who organised the transportation - the seller or the recipient?

..apologies; just realised that's pretty much what Hopper asked..

Edited By DiogenesII on 04/06/2022 15:21:00

Does that really matter?

Thread: Warco WM 250V power feed stuck/crash
04/06/2022 14:42:32

I always check the available travel when powering the cross slide on my Raglan when cutting towards the operator. Most usually an issue if parting off from the rear tool post. Going the other way, the feed screw simply runs off the end of the nut - but one can see the clearance behind the lathe before then.

Thread: Failed Miller Transportation
04/06/2022 14:36:47

No question about the p. poor preparation for transportation. That is as far as I will comment at the moment.

Thread: Metallurgy of Copper
03/06/2022 12:44:23

I am surprised that olives are permitted at pressures even approaching 2000psi.

Automotive brake pipes have formed metal-metal joints. I would not be using an olive. Diesel injection systemd, likewise, do not use olives. Your gas cylinders seal perfectly well with metal-metal contact.

The requirement is for the two surfaces to be in contact such that there are no leaks between the two and that longitudinal movement is not going to happen under any circumstance.

02/06/2022 12:54:03
Posted by Mark Rand on 02/06/2022 09:57:37:

Over the last two weeks I've been replacing the vented hot water cylinder with a larger, unvented, one. yes, I'm a slow worker!

I've been re-using a lot of the old copper pipe that I installed in 1988, along with a length that I've had in the workshop for quite a while. The old pipe is very definitely harder than new. I'm toying with the idea of annealing those ends which are to have compression fittings on them, prior to tightening the nuts and olives on to them,

Heat/anneal the olives and not the pipe? A damned site easier and simpler. KISS Principle in operation.🙂

Thread: Headstock problem
02/06/2022 07:18:34

The more of these threads from Chris come up, the more I feel this lathe sale was, perhaps/possibly, a triumph of paint over performance.

It may well eventually work very well, but it seems to me to be a message to reinforce that of ‘buyer beware’ - as this seller appears to be a dealer of sorts. However their feedback score is 100%.

It makes me think that the turning performance, previously posted on another thread, may also have some origins in the set-up of the lathe spindle and saddle.

The same seller has one of the ML8 wood-turning lathe stands on their BIN list. Anyone comment on whether that would be suitably substantial for a metal lathe such as this?

Thread: Layout tool
01/06/2022 16:41:16

Marking angles, drawing circles of various diameters, marking out gons, and likely several other useful shapes and curves?

It has a patent number which you may be able to find.

An interesting item.

Thread: Metallurgy of Copper
01/06/2022 16:32:22

Red heat, so no, I would think.

Maybe this is your imagination - or forgetfulness? They made it much thicker back then.

Edited By not done it yet on 01/06/2022 16:32:48

Thread: Identify lathe
01/06/2022 14:24:51

I’m guessing you may be in the UK? Little things such as likely origin can be important when trying to find a maker.

Thread: More beginner questions
01/06/2022 09:50:52

As much as all these observations, suggestions, recommendations, etc might be helpful, my advice would be to locate your nearest model engineering society and find help from a local, experienced user. It”s a steep learning curve, starting from close to zero.

Thread: Bearings or bushed
01/06/2022 09:43:49

Do you have a suitable motor for this project? 10HP would easily cope. Possibly just a little smaller?

Motor speed might be important? 2 or 4 pole motor? Two pole at 2800rpm might be the best?

Three phase with VFD or a brushless DC might be best for wide speed variation choices?

Add to this lot the huge fan required, to supply the combustion air, and you are nearly home. Automatic. ash pan, grate clearing, etc might be a high priority?

Might also need a chain saw to cut down the oak trees for the smoking chips. Saw can be electric, of course - better for the environment than using fossil fuels.

I think bearings are likely fairly low on your list of priorities.🙂

Thread: Warning buyer beware
31/05/2022 11:36:47

And me? I would be quite happy with only 0.020 thou ,at worst (as I could not measure that.🙂

Thread: Riser blocks
31/05/2022 11:31:08

If using an alternative stand to the exact model to be mounted, sometimes the lathe may need raising to allow the change wheel cover to be opened. My lathe and stand combination was like that.

Thread: Warning buyer beware
31/05/2022 09:07:59

I want to respond to the suggestion that we should inspect all purchases, I agree but up to a point.

Did someone? I most certainly didn’t. I often buy things unseen from the ‘net. I only wrote that I would not shell out that much without fully checking it out.

Depends on more than one factor. Available funds is my main driver, for checking out expensive second hand items.

Thread: Mis-described item?
31/05/2022 08:58:50
Posted by old mart on 30/05/2022 21:17:19:

A bit posh for a roofer, I think. laugh

Bricks up and bricks out, along with tangent tables, would be close enough for a roofer!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest