By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is this cheap type of VFD worth buying?
19/06/2019 07:22:31

A reversing switch on a linisher? I’m interested to know why. I would have thought an unnecessary addition, but I await the reason why, in anticipation of learning something new....

Thread: Precision Metal Pen Oiler
18/06/2019 21:37:14

I think your video summed it up nicely at 3m 10s.

‘If you are in the market for another little toy”

Not particularly precision, by the looks of it, and would one ever carry the correct grade of oil around in one’s pocket anyway. A proper oiler beside the machine suits me.

Thread: Is this cheap type of VFD worth buying?
18/06/2019 21:22:02

As I see it, these cheap inverters are OK, if used regularly, but offer little or no motor proection. Many don’t allow the motor to be switched after the device, so protection needs to be upstream of the VFD. A simple 13A fuse will not adequately protect an overloaded motor.

But our machines should not be left running whilst unattended, so perhaps the risk is small for everyone excepting those that cannot recognise a motor overload or the very few who do, but run their machines beyond their capabilities on a regular basis.

I would not wish to store one for too long or the capacitors might need conditioning (or replacing), before putting into service, to avoid VFD failure.

Thread: Lathe Speed - What am I missing out on?
18/06/2019 18:07:44

I often alter the cutting speed while turning or milling if I consider it is not optimum. It can change an acceptable finish to a much better one or help with chip breakage.

60 years ago, most pistol drills were single speed. Then two speed options became available, then variable speed, and later, battery powered. How many would go out and buy a single speed drill these days? Analogous to lathes and mills, methinks!

Thread: Improving runout in a slitting saw
18/06/2019 17:59:50

Adding or subtracting the errors of the machine and saw can change the eccentricity. I have used that to good effect while gear cutting in particular.

Thread: Tools or 'things' as therapy
18/06/2019 17:54:44

Plasma,

Only one handed? I can change mine with both - the mechanical lever on the left and the VFD, by pendant, on the right.smiley

Much the same with the mill, although both the handle and the VFD are on the right side of the machine (but I am right handed).

Overkill, maybe, but it increases the available speed range and I have not needed to use the back gear on the lathe so far...

Thread: Horizontal mill cutter
18/06/2019 10:48:14

Hi George,

Several things.

Hertz from the VFD might mean much lower power transmitted than rated motor power.

Too high a speed would quickly blunt a carbon steel cutter, especially if the tool post steel has a higher carbon content.

BMS, while low carbon, may have quite a hard surface.

Too light a cut may well dull the cutters quite quickly if they rub rather than cutting (more so with carbon steel cutters.]

Maybe a ‘swipe’ or two on each tooth with a stone might clean the cutter sufficiently to sharpen it up sufficiently? At least for a short while.

2mm is a slitting saw, to me.

I’ve not attempted to sharpen any of my horizontal cutters yet, but I think I would do it on the horizontal with the rotary table. It should only need the teeth under-cutting very slightly?

The Centec (~1.2HP) has not been used in horizontal mode for months. A 20mm slot in BMS would be cut using a roughing end mill - but probably not a 20mm one, with only half a horse power available.

Thread: Tools or 'things' as therapy
18/06/2019 10:05:15

I daresay that if one needs ‘therapy’, whatever works must be good.

Do these tools work better after being ‘caressed’? Fidgeting with a piece of equipment, object or tool is one thing, caressing seems to be entirely a different matter!

I certainly prefer a smooth, well designed and crafted tool to a rough and ‘awkward to use’ one - but that is simply on a technical level. It was the reason why I changed my lathe from a chinese heap to a Raglan, even though the latter was 50 years, or more, old.

Thread: Limitation of a milling machine with low spindle RPM.
18/06/2019 09:53:50
Posted by old mart on 17/06/2019 13:34:05:

I am facing the opposite problem, The Tom Senior light vertical which I am working on has only 4 speeds, the slowest of which is over 500rpm. A bit fast for larger drills and cutters in steel.

Wow, I would not want to be using any decent sized slitting saw at 500rpm, for a start!

Thread: Metal Bandsaw - Chester H80 or Warco CY90
18/06/2019 09:40:08

Ian,

Whether you actually need one or not may depend on how big the starting pieces might be and how many you need to cut. Other factors, such as physical ability, may also require consideration.

Smaller diameter (up to 40 mm) cuts were discussed in a fairly recent thread. Alternatives abound.

**LINK**

I would guess that most get on OK with either, but a considerable minority would have found it necessary to ‘tweak’ them or make repairs fairly early in the life of the machine.

The ratio of replies on a forum may not be too indicative of the real situation as many do not cut so much - and those with failures tend to be more vocal than the quietly satisfied group.

Alternatives should certainly be included in the original request, if at all green on the topic.

Thread: New member intro!
17/06/2019 17:52:45
Posted by AdrianR on 17/06/2019 15:44:16:

Hello Arath,

Welcome to the forum, I am from Lincolnshire int eh UK, where in the are you from?

Adrian

Adrian,

Arsath is one of the few with a profile. Details there.

Welcome, Arsath. Or should we call you Mohammed? Never quite sure which name we should use!

Presumably you keep well away from the product, so don’t speak with a ‘squeaky’ voice? smiley

Does your company deal with other gases, too?

Thread: Belt sander recommendations
16/06/2019 18:03:35

Give us a few more clues.

No profile, so no location.

‘Small table top’ can be rather subjective.

Width of belt you are looking for?

So what is the current size and weight?

New or second hand?

Might be other relevant specifications.

Thread: spindle bearings
15/06/2019 12:34:49

And use the bearing manufacturer’s advice on lubrication - not the machine supplier. The latter would likely be inferior and more expensive! (I did note the supplier was not Arc, before making that comment)

Thread: How to machine Acetal
15/06/2019 08:43:52

Probably the easiest material I have turned.

A sharp tool, I use HSS for this. Reasonably slow speed and watch out for heat - it can burst into flames apparently, except they are invisible!

I have never tried to cut that length in small diameter. It likely needs small cuts and a following steady as it will easily deform, particularly with heavy cuts and when warmed up. Definitely keep the pressure axially, not radially.

Thread: Super Mini Lathe belt problem
14/06/2019 23:19:58
Posted by Haggerleases on 14/06/2019 22:57:15:

Well done Warco for passing on a pile of crap for quick profit. They'll be gone soon, I guarantee it. You can see it coming.

I don’t like bang good, for a very good reason - they sell cheap stuff but have no customer service when the goods are really rubbish (which they often are?)

Why do you dislike Warco?

Thread: Mini Lathe footprint dimensions and will it slide
14/06/2019 06:38:07

I think you need to do your own measuring. Some lathes are sized such that they will accommodate the full length between centres when fitted, but some are not quite so generous and may not enable a true 12” length to be mounted.

Shelf? Worktop comes to mind as a more useful description for situating a lathe. A well supported ‘shelf’ might do, but hanging 40kg(?) away from the attachment point would need very strong fixings. The loadings may well considerably exceed the mass moment, especially if something jams suddenly.

I would suggest that the distance between the feet might be the better measurement for the actual length of the shelf (overhang would clearly need taking into account), but the mass would be supported by the feet and any extra shelf length would be taking up space at all times?

Thread: Illegal CD copy
14/06/2019 05:54:55

That’s alright Freddie,

We will all read MG’s comments and probably have a good laugh at the content - at your expense.

This thread started out about “illegal copying”. It is just that - not LAWFUL.

Comprendez? End of story, really. Your ilk may get away with it - until someone deems it worthwhile to take them to court for damages. Damages may well be sufficient to deter that individual, as further infringement would likely incur even heftier costs as a serial offender. Out of copyright is fair game to copy - it keeps the publication in circulation - as it is LAWFUL. Denying a legitimate author his/her legitimate dues and making a personal profit from that action is reprehensible. I don’t like thieves.

Thread: New Lathe addition to workshop
13/06/2019 15:50:15
Posted by JasonB on 13/06/2019 15:21:28:
Posted by not done it yet on 13/06/2019 14:42:10:

First price I saw was $4375 and, since, over $7300. Unusual for a chinese piece of kit?

You don't say what dollars but this one has them at $2500 AUD ( £1420GBP) which comes out rather well when compared to the Warco cost in GBP of £2000

I did, at least, check the OP was based in the US.wink

Thread: Electricity Supply
13/06/2019 15:45:27

Farmboy,

You have completely missed the point, once again.

Liquid petroleum burned as liquid fuel for transport is very inefficient, - I repeat that petrol engines are only a little over 25% efficient. Diesel are more like 30% efficient.

The same amount of electrical power as the energy content of the fuel is just not required! Electric vehicles are over 70% efficient (indeed, the Tesla electric motors were 93% efficient and the latest versions are 97% efficient. Compare 25% to 90% and you might understand that only one third of electrical energy is needed compared to energy input for internal combustion engined transport!

Burning oil to raise steam is only about 40% efficient as an electricity generating energy source (much the same as coal), but if utilised in the same manner as combined cycle gas powered plants the efficiency could rise to about 60%.

So your sums are totally flawed. Using all that oil efficiently, could provide twice the amount of electricity needed to replace the oil as liquid transport fuel. Instead of 69GW (your units seem to be all at sea - as power is not energy), assuming your poor use of units is still providing the correct numerical values, only about 20GW extra of electricity would be required. Current maximum generation of the grid is currently about 50GW (little leeway for any unplanned outages) and average grid usage about 35 GW.

Clearly, without extra generators, the extra power required (20GW could not be provided - and certainly not in winter. In twenty or thirty, or more, years time, it could be. But the simple point is that your sums are a completely worthless. Comparing gross heat energy with nett electricity requirement is FLAWED.

13/06/2019 15:45:26

Farmboy,

You have completely missed the point, once again.

Liquid petroleum burned as liquid fuel for transport is very inefficient, - I repeat that petrol engines are only a little over 25% efficient. Diesel are more like 30% efficient.

The same amount of electrical power as the energy content of the fuel is just not required! Electric vehicles are over 70% efficient (indeed, the Tesla electric motors were 93% efficient and the latest versions are 97% efficient. Compare 25% to 90% and you might understand that only one third of electrical energy is needed compared to energy input for internal combustion engined transport!

Burning oil to raise steam is only about 40% efficient as an electricity generating energy source (much the same as coal), but if utilised in the same manner as combined cycle gas powered plants the efficiency could rise to about 60%.

So your sums are totally flawed. Using all that oil efficiently, could provide twice the amount of electricity needed to replace the oil as liquid transport fuel. Instead of 69GW (your units seem to be all at sea - as power is not energy), assuming your poor use of units is still providing the correct numerical values, only about 20GW extra of electricity would be required. Current maximum generation of the grid is currently about 50GW (little leeway for any unplanned outages) and average grid usage about 35 GW.

Clearly, without extra generators, the extra power required (20GW could not be provided - and certainly not in winter. In twenty or thirty, or more, years time, it could be. But the simple point is that your sums are a completely worthless. Comparing gross heat energy with nett electricity requirement is FLAWED.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest