By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Centre finder for bars
10/01/2017 19:32:49

I would dig out my odd leg scriber if the dro was not available on the mill.

Thread: Cheap 3 in 1 tig welder - any one used one?
09/01/2017 22:52:28

Yep, what do they say? Buy cheap, buy twice. And it's clear that they know now about pcp airguns either! (Here's a really old link to airgun regulators, for any one remotely interested:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?98032-Accuracy-Regulated-vs-unregulated

Certainly moved on in ten years but only the really expensive ones are electronically operated these days (and likely not anything on the pressure regulation side, either!).

Thread: Aldi Angle Grinder sparking - is there anything I can do?
09/01/2017 22:37:52

Girder? A 300I've seen identical angle grindidentical from the outsiders from the outsideJ? Cutting it all the way through? Once or twice?

Advice? Buy a 300mm angle grinder of about 2 1/2kW and of good parentage.

Use it appropriately, or get someone who does know how to use it, to do the job for you.smiley

I'll not bother to ask when Aldi opened their store in Harrogate. Maybe it was fifteen quid once, but it is now scrap, or at least an uneconomic repair...

Repeat after me "buy cheap, buy twice"indecision

A bit like CF, I've seen angle grinders that look identical from the outside but of entirely differing quality when opened up for inspection. Saying that, my last makita screwdriver was a POS. Batteries good, charger good, machine carp. An unexpected outcome. Back to 'Bodge', 'High Tachy' or even 'D Wolt' if I ever need another.

Thread: Rexon PD500 mill drill - how to separate column from head
09/01/2017 10:10:03

What normally holds it tight in position when in use? Through bolt(s) or clamping set screw or bolt? A pic or two?

If a clamping bolt, spread the slot with a wedge? Just guessing.

Fix on something to give it a jolt -similar to a slide hammer?

Heat the headstock and cool the column?

Tell usa bit more.

Thread: WF thread..
08/01/2017 12:04:05

Perhaps the OP might have listed the diameter and pitch at the beginning? Much less obscure discussion and more sensible outcome in fewer guesses (or without any) from the members. I expect JS is correct.

Thread: What AMP power supply for windscreen wiper motor
07/01/2017 19:39:53

There might also be an electric window winder that could be considered (to replace the windscreen wiper motor) - somewhat more powerful. Worth considering before buying an under-powered wiper motor system?

07/01/2017 17:42:48

Voltage might be important! 12 or 24V?

Thread: "Tang" on the end of a male Morse taper?
06/01/2017 23:39:30

The only tools with a tang are axial thrust types, so the morse taper tightens (if anything) as the pressure is applied. The tang is not there to impart any drive, but only to effect ejection with the aid of a wedge.

Drawbars are required for non-axial thrust duties, such as side milling, to avoid the tool loosening in the holder.

Drawbar versions can be converted by screwing in a tang, while many threaded male tapers need a bolt, or similar, fitted to enable them to eject from a tailstock, per eg.

Your morse taper is both your alignment and grip for the tool, so it is of the utmost importance to keep both male and female surfaces scrupulously clean.

Thread: Boxford
04/01/2017 21:02:18

It seems like you need to look under its apron? Could be non-engagement or something broken. Looks a fairly simple arrangement. Whatever it is, it looks like removal of the apron will be needed to fix it - unless it is the pin holding the selector handle (onto the shaft) that has broken.

Thread: ER Collets
04/01/2017 16:32:26

You are right, but I have decided to purchase ER collets in 'size 32' irrespective of uses, thanks.

04/01/2017 13:31:31

I am very much aware of the differences between 25 and 32 ER collet sizes and was not interested in responses off-topic. It was simply a choice between the two sets, nothing else. I would not envisage holding hardened cutters in either a three or four jaw chuck with hardened jaws and my lathe spindle will accommodate round stock of just over 25mm.

So thanks to Jon (importance of size), r&t (would not go smaller), Neil (for being honest), Nick H (for his helpful insight), Nick L (Regofix collets go to 22mm in ER32) and others who made any useful comments.

My main concerns were physical size, capacity and cost differential. I can cope with my old 'sundry' lot for the odd occasions when alternatives are required, or go the horizontal route for wider cuts - so I do have plenty of options. My main reasons for up-grading is to improve gripping on slightly off sized cutters (close metric/imperial sizes) and to have a box with a single type of holder for most of the milling cutter sizes I shall need in the foreseeable future.

I have decided to go the ER32 route. Thanks to all who contributed to the final decision making.

Thread: Elbow joints for 4mm (OD) copper tubing
03/01/2017 22:30:25

If I were doing it, I would simply wind a spiral - no corners - to cover the required area and soft solder the pipe to a copper sheet, for laying adjacent to the peltier surface (with heat transfer compound on the surfaces). No corners, or connectors means less pumping losses, so a smaller inner

diameter tube could as easily be used?

How hot is the hot side going to be? How much electrical energy are you expecting to generate? Apparently one needs a lot of peltier devices on a car exhaust, in order to replace the alternator!smiley

Thread: ER Collets
03/01/2017 12:57:14

Ian Parkin,

Which did you choose and why?

03/01/2017 12:18:11

For those that chose between ER25 and ER32 (ignoring any other sizes), which did you choose, why, and did you regret your choice?

For those with both sets (ER25 and ER32, ignoring any other sizes) - which would you choose now, if you could only have one set, and why?

My limitation is 2MT tooling, so please state if yours are 3MT. I already have sundry odds and ends which will fit my lathe spindle (with an adaptor) and am not interested in accuracy, precision, etc (plenty of threads on that, already!).

TIA.

Thread: Metal cutting bandsaw
03/01/2017 09:21:08

Like Brian, above, I wonder what you are looking for. There are so many for bar stock cutting, so easily found by a simple internet search by anyone, that I think you must mean one for cutting sheet.

Here is one - only about half a square metre floor space, but quite expensive.

http://www.warco.co.uk/metal-bandsaws-metalworking-saws/57-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw.html

Thread: Am I blackening steel correctly?
02/01/2017 20:29:27

I would suggest that the problem that vintage engineer refers to is one of cheapo recycling. Poor homogenisation of the constituents while in the melting pot? Certainly there would be variations between batches but that should, with quality control, be minimised.

The problems could be avoided, but at a price as usual.

Thread: Redesigning a motorcycle speedometer gearbox
02/01/2017 14:29:24

Another suggestion is to look at bicycle speed/distance/etc 'computers'. They may give you some inspiration.

Thread: Milling Machine Vice
02/01/2017 07:13:42

Only one jaw, I hope!

All vise jaws will have an upward lifting tendency, more so as the item being gripped is raised from the bottom of the jaws. Some designs are better at resisting this tendency and the cost usually gives an indication of this property.

Machining with the parallels loose is an immediate innaccuracy for the next cut and must be avoided if precision is required. Another reason may be that the sides of the item being gripped are not parallel.

Basically you pays your money ... etc. The toolmakers' vises seem to be better in this respect. The vise you are linking to is likely better than your other one but may not be absolutely perfect (you will still need to 'tap down' while tightening).

Thread: An oil gun that works?
02/01/2017 06:52:49

Oil gun or oil can? To me an oil gun is "similar" to a grease gun. But perhaps growing up on a farm (and now owning a cletrac) makes discerning the differences more important.

Thread: Laminated shim stock?
02/01/2017 00:32:23

Try adding 'UK' after your search criteria on 'goggle'. It will then prioritise (mostly) UK hits, hopefully.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest