By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ACME thread identification question.
25/08/2019 13:48:36

As you noted, trapezoidal (a metric thread) is quite different to an ACME (imperial thread). While your lathe may well have an imperial dial on the cross feed, you need to check the travel, for a few turns, with a dial gauge. 2.5mm is quite close to 10tpi and one can never be sure if the lathe has been modified. Home turned feed screws are most definitely not unheard of.

Thread: How hot does the motor on your mill/lathe run?
25/08/2019 02:08:29

Is the fan turning at motor speed? There should be quite an airflow generated around the motor casing.

What is the actual temperature and how much current/power is it actually using? If the case is at 100 degrees Celsius, the windings will be considerably hotter. I would be checking the details on the motor rating plate. All relevant detail should be on that. Meanings for the different symbols are documented on the internet.

This might be a useful read: https://www.machinedesign.com/technologies/hot-topic-motor-temperature

Edited By not done it yet on 25/08/2019 02:15:23

Thread: Simple table of potential hardness of metals
24/08/2019 14:04:40

...and then allowed to cool slowly...

Just watch out for the common exceptions. Copper is one - it matters not how - quickly or slowly - it is cooled. Hardening of copper is not really possible with heat - but it does work harden quite easily.

Thread: ARC Euro Trading Great service
24/08/2019 02:38:13

A forum search for ’service’ will bring up several similar postings. Nothing unusual for ARC. They often get mentions for good, prompt, efficient service. Helpful as well. It is their normal modus operandi.

I cannot recall seeing a justifiable moan about their service and if there wete to be an order problem (eg wrong part ordered) they are very helpful towards solving it.

Thread: Backplate debacle
24/08/2019 02:23:16

Guessing here, but make sure the next one you machine is cold (same temperature as the chuck) before taking that last skim. I look at it this way - the bolts hold it in its place, but the spigot regulates the position precisely and fixes the direction of the forces applied to the chuck bolts. Chuck removal for cleaning means it can go back exactly from where it came off.

Self centring chucks should not be expected to be that precise, for re-mounting a part machined item. I would go as far as to say that if you expect any old, well-used scroll chuck to be precisely concentric at all diameters, you will be lucky. I expect the same goes for any well-used griptru chuck as well - it may well require adjustment between closed and fully open jaws. If you want it right, use a 4 jaw independent (and they employ a spigot as well - I wonder why...).

Thread: Ultrasonic toothbrushes
23/08/2019 12:17:37

It seems it is like buying and using an ink-jet printer, only worse. With printers it is buy cheap (some almost given away) and pay though the nose for ink cartridges. Here it seems like buy expensive and still be shafted for consumables! I suspect they see most/many/some pet owners as an easy money-spinner.

Dogs (even hounds) like a good bone to chew on.

Thread: Back issues to give away
23/08/2019 10:28:57

I would have thought that no apologies were needed. Certainly not a 'sale' item and (apparently) not wanted - well not exactly, maybe, but....smiley

Good on yer, to offer them before junking.

With all the adverts stored, I would be inclined to scan useful items (but that may be infringing copyright?) for my own use, even if much later. Takes up much less space.smiley

Thread: M4 x 0.75mm pitch CSk machine screws
23/08/2019 10:19:28
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/08/2019 09:40:01:
Posted by not done it yet on 23/08/2019 08:56:48:
Posted by KWIL on 23/08/2019 07:24:35:

Yes is the answer, it all depends upon how many items you need.

I know what you mean.smiley “Ally Barber” would gladly supply a million from China. Not so good a price, or availability, if one only wanted four or five!

I may be wrong, but I think KWIL was answering the question by Nicholas Wheeler 1

[quote] Is anyone really going to screwcut such a thread when they can buy taps and die?. Anyone who gets work done, that is. [/quote]

MichaelG.

Mine was just a tongue in cheek reply referring right back to the start of the thread, there being no reference for anything else.smiley

Just shows how things can easily be misconstrued - like three separate suggestions (in three separate sentences) all being assumed to be intimately connected when they were most certainly not!smiley

23/08/2019 08:56:48
Posted by KWIL on 23/08/2019 07:24:35:

Yes is the answer, it all depends upon how many items you need.

I know what you mean.smiley “Ally Barber” would gladly supply a million from China. Not so good a price, or availability, if one only wanted four or five!

23/08/2019 07:14:42

Mhos is more useful as a geological scale, but is similar to hardness gauging using sets of standard files, I suppose.

But still just a comparative scale - what will, or won’t, scratch what - likely more useful for choosing a surface preparation material within a polishing system.

But who, in hobby model engineering, seeks out grinding paste or polishing compounds by using that scale? It is left to the suppliers to provide the correct grinding material and the correct sizes of particles (within each grade of paste) and carrier, for users to decide on how much they wish to spend - mostly dependent on speed of production.

Thread: Powder Coating
22/08/2019 18:12:21

My wife would be enamelling (UK spelling?) them, I think..

What are they made of? Might melt at enamelling temperatures.

Thread: M4 x 0.75mm pitch CSk machine screws
22/08/2019 18:04:31

Are you sure the thread is not 3BA?

Thread: Bandsaw blades
22/08/2019 17:37:43

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/08/2019 17:15:27

My attempt at welding just blew a huge hole...

Neil

Gas, stick, MIG or TIG? A lot of car bodywork is tacked together with MIG?

22/08/2019 14:45:06

Some metals have a range from fully annealed to (usually) so hard that it is too brittle for most uses. The only importance to the home machinist is (usually) the final hardness after tempering. That will always be a compromise between hardness and toughness with springiness somewhere in between for some items. One can get the final hardness on many metals but that does not mean they will be suitable for any particular job.

Then there is the difference between surface- and through-hardness. The hobbyist needs to consider what heat treatment is appropriate - a very hard skin (case hardening) with a soft centre or hardness across the whole section. Rates of cooling (oil or water quenching will change that, too, as well as the cross section of the piece).

Sooo, a simple table of hardness is likely not too appropriate for any or many jobs dependent on the metallurgy, the method used and the end properties required. Hobbyists generally keep it simple - industrial hardening, tempering, soaking at particular temperature(s), heating and cooling gradients, etc is a work of technical artistry!

Your question should be, I think, more about which metal composition to choose before hardening and tempering, to a particular standard, and that may depend on your individual requirements for the end product.

Thread: Boring Problem
22/08/2019 07:03:02

As above, but I think I would make new bearings after line boring both caps. My view would be that it was not worth the trouble and risk of aligning one cap to match the other - better/easier to go slightly oversize on both and be confident they were in line. Might be wrong, but that would be my preferred route.

Thread: Outrageous?
22/08/2019 06:54:54

I am almost certain there are scams where the UK supplier sources the goods from China after the order is placed.

My example was where I ordered from a UK supplier (at extra expense) because the part was needed faster than the China delivery guarantee, but even though an email arrived to say it had been despatched (within a day or two of the order being placed), it took longer for the item to arrive ‘from the UK’ than it might have done from China. Can’t remember the time but ten days to a fortnight was the order of things. It had been posted in the UK, for delivery to me.

Furthermore, the postal sticker on the package was for priority delivery, so had not been hanging around in the postal system. My feedback was challenged by the seller, but when I pointed out his scam and that I would not withdraw my comments, they went very quiet. They knew they were on a sticky wicket.

I’ve also ordered from an apparent UK source and the goods have arrived from Germany. That has occurred twice. Delivery on those two items was only marginally slower than the UK Postal service (but possibly faster) and there was no real price differential compared to delivery from China. I suspected a bit of a VAT scam was going on there, or perhaps some other form of tax dodge.

I have had an offer of lower purchase cost for goods by paying into a third party account, before now. I declined that one as just a bit too risky.

Thread: Scale gauges
21/08/2019 19:04:54

First hit on ‘goggle’, from Ride on Railways, says distance between the rails, not scale.

Good enough for me.

Thread: Wasp trap - suggestions please
21/08/2019 14:42:56

They will persist until there are a few sharp frosts. Fewer, of course, because this year’s queen is not making any more (well, nearly all of them by now). Ripe fruit are a magnet for them.

Thread: Torx head variant or faulty batch?
21/08/2019 14:32:45

C’mon guys. He asked for Suggestions. Exact response. There may be others. They might be of Indian origin. Unlikely to be made in Britain, ‘cos we don’t make much here these days.

Chinese can make good products. A UK firm, I worked for at one time, sent back containers of failed (as in sub-standard, not-to-specification) items. The message soon got through that the specification was there to be adhered to. They then only got consignments that passed their own QC checks - so the checks in China were always adequately stringent, and/or they more careful in the production departments.

Only one company I have worked for ‘short-changed’ most of its customers - but most of that industry may have been the same, for all I know. One other, that was a bit dodgy, tried to short-change some of its clients but most of them were wise to scams so were very wary of any business in that sector. First was aromatherapy oils and the second was in precious metals recovery.

21/08/2019 10:30:12

Torx head variant or faulty batch?

Not really a question, surely? Not even faulty. Just not Torx.

Has anyone else had a batch of these mongrel Torx heads?

I expect there are quite a few, but possibly not on here!

Can anyone suggest ...?

Just cheap chinese rubbish. No quality control. Slave labour production.

It is not the manufacturing that has gone awry. There will always be possible set-up errors, but they should not get palmed off to paying customers!

Care to give the origin (seller) so we all can be careful when making purchases?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest