By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Grinding and cutoff discs for angle grinders
14/11/2019 22:38:44
Posted by Bill Davies 2 on 14/11/2019 22:13:05:

It is the resinoid wheels being discussed:

I think the thread title specifically refers to angle grinder cutting and grinding discs.

14/11/2019 21:24:57

It is likely H&S at work. I expect in-date discs could have been stored in damp conditions.

I don’t use many, so unless they are bought singly mine can go out of date - but they are stored carefully. I would not use a cutting disc (much) beyond its use-by date, but grinding discs are generally not quite as risky. Again, it is my risk - and without third parties in the vicinity.

Checking the date is the first thing we do if discs come up at auction.

Thread: Wobble and Morse taper
14/11/2019 21:11:55
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 14/11/2019 19:53:40:

Should be OK, as it 'pushes' into the work with no way to grab like a drill or milling cutter.

Neil

Thanks, Neil. That is what I thought/hoped but I was also thinking of when the pressure is off and withdrawing the tool - don’t want the MT to loosen. I suppose that stopping the machine, before withdrawal of the cutter, would largely negate that possibility.

OM, I don’t envisage anything larger than 3/8”. 3/8” would already be wider than the 10mm silver steel or old end mill shanks I anticipate using for the broaches. First job for it will be making a tapered screw for a grip-tru chuck, I acquired recently, so they all nearly match (not keen on trying a slotted screw in it).

Thread: Warco WM 16 VS woes
14/11/2019 19:49:14
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 14/11/2019 16:56:54:

Today I ordered the new gear ....

... Has anyone tried that? What gear cutter do I need? I have a friend with several milling machines to make them on & he has all the other bits I would need. Never tried it before but seems to me to be worth a go.

I think I would have ordered a set, not just the one gear...

Check the diameter, count the teeth and a quick calculation later you can order the appropriate cutter(s). HPC gears likely can supply the gears in any material you might care to specify. Probably need some form of lubrication delivery, if in metal.

Edited By not done it yet on 14/11/2019 19:50:52

Thread: Metric micrometer what t buy?
14/11/2019 19:22:38
Posted by mechman48 on 14/11/2019 18:44:46:

Isn't that what a digi micrometer / vernier caliper does at a push of a button... mm -> fractions -> decimal, & vicky vercky.

George.

Electronic Digital ones do. Don’t think the vernier ones have two optional scales.

14/11/2019 19:22:36
Posted by mechman48 on 14/11/2019 18:44:46:

Isn't that what a digi micrometer / vernier caliper does at a push of a button... mm -> fractions -> decimal, & vicky vercky.

George.

Electronic Digital ones do. Don’t think the vernier ones have two optional scales.

Thread: Wobble and Morse taper
14/11/2019 19:16:58

A simple question: Would a rotary broach be likely to loosen a 2MT taper when fitted in a tailstock?

I am planning on making one and wish to use a 2MT blank end arbor as a drive - most seem to use a parallel shaft. Clearly no problem in the spindle of the mill, or lathe, as it can be secured with a drawbar, but predictions (or experience) of one fitted without a drawbar, please, as it’s a plunge cut, but cutting on several corners cyclicly.

Thread: 3HP Compressor quality and noise
14/11/2019 19:05:03
Posted by HOWARDT on 14/11/2019 17:16:30:

5hp on single phase should be achievable, worked years ago making high pressure washers with up to that on 13 amp with no trouble.

It’ll ‘drain the mains’ on initial start up, especially if on load. OK once up to speed, but may blow the plug top fuse occasionally?

Thread: To pin, or not to pin
14/11/2019 16:50:25
Posted by AlanW on 14/11/2019 15:34:38:

That's useful thanks, Old Mart. Another method I had considered, that shouldn't compromise the strength of the shaft, is to drill three radial holes to just dimple the inner shaft and tap for grub screws. Any views on that suggestion?

Why ‘dimple’ it? You could drill in, thread, use high tensile fixings and loctite those, too.

Thread: 3HP Compressor quality and noise
14/11/2019 16:45:12

As always you get nowt for nowt. Good quality generally costs more than lesser examples. Look at the small print among the specifications is my advice. Then your choice.

My old two horse power (around 10cfm) using a cast iron two stage pump will outlast me. Cost about (possibly less than) thirty quid, and a non return valve, at a farm sale about 25 years ago. Receiver is stood on end and about 150 litres I would guess.

I periodically check the receiver, by hydraulic test,

Volume of air stored depends on pressure and some machines may only have intermittent-rated motors. Pressure switches are also an obvious item for skimping on quality. ‘DIY’ grade indicates to me as ‘not too long lived if used much’. Is simply buying a new compressor and motor an option? Even adding an extra receiver can tip the scales on what you need to spend.

Go to soft-start and you may be able to go to 5HP?

Thread: Record 25 vice handle
14/11/2019 14:00:18
Posted by Ian P on 14/11/2019 13:14:12:

This is one vice you wouldn't want to bend the handle on, maybe it a vice that you wouldnt even dare to uselaugh

Bugatti Vice

https://tula-bug.co.uk/vices/

Ian P

PS in the region of £5K!!!

Edited By Ian P on 14/11/2019 13:15:15

Just looked at the url posted. Price has over doubled in 9 months? Says £1600 + VAT.

Perhaps it is the big brother at your price?

14/11/2019 10:12:26

I’ve already seen those videos. The vise tests should be enlightening, if one was not aware of the facts beforehand - and quality counts - but that vise he made is remarkable! But nobody should be abusing their vise like he did!

I will never need a better heavy vise, than the one I have now (and the smaller one it replaced). It’s old and not entirely perfect but it will outlast me. I would have both on the bench if I had sufficient space...

There are also a couple of very small vises around, which work perfectly adequately within their size constraints, Then there is the old (original aluminium type) B & D workmate. Horses for courses as usual.

13/11/2019 23:40:08

Anyone can bend the handle (or break the vise) by abusing the design. The handle should bend before the vise breaks; the handle should not be long enough to cause a problem (unless abused). The usual problem is the operator not the vise - if the vise is of good quality.

Thread: Boring bar with inserts shape choice??
13/11/2019 23:33:04

C’mon, does it really matter if the hole is longer than the bored section? I don’t think so. I think the OP is over-complicating a simple alignment problem. When/if we finally see the finished drawing, it will be a simple job complicated by ‘what ifs’.

Thread: Loctite
13/11/2019 23:24:55

I have a small bottle (much depleted) from 40 years ago. Likely a different chemistry, but still works for what it was bought for all that time ago - a simple thread-locker (for engine big end bolts).

Some truloc versions have not lasted as long, but as they were not purchased by me I don’t know their history.

Thread: 1.75". Chuck backplate.
13/11/2019 09:12:33

I very much doubt that a lathe with 6tpi Whitworth or Unified thread would have the same register dimensions. Possible, I suppose, if you are looking to sell. Check out the wanted section on the forum.

Bore out and sleeve it, if there is sufficient metal to do so. Then recut with a square thread.

I see second hand Raglan back plates selling for around £60 delivered, on epay. They are easy enough to make - and one would be confident there is sufficient metal to safely cut another spigot.

There are threads, for making spindle nose protectors, on :

**LINK**

Thread: Preventing distortion.
12/11/2019 17:47:29
Posted by Martin Kyte on 12/11/2019 14:38:38:

Cut another keyway on the oposite side.

regards Martin

Likely only need to cut the stressed skin of the shaft. Keith Fenner on utube manages t straighten bent shafts quite well. Likely others.

Thread: Slitting saw
12/11/2019 17:41:26

I think Stephan Gotteswinter did a sharpening demo on utube. Likely others, too.

Thread: To pin, or not to pin
12/11/2019 17:35:36

If you search, you will find an identical thread starter only about 2 months ago.

search ‘pin’ as the other one is slightly different, grammar-wise.

Edited By not done it yet on 12/11/2019 17:37:45

Thread: Boring bar with inserts shape choice??
12/11/2019 17:16:09

OK I can add now the hole will be blind.

One can often through-bore and plug.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest