By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
23/01/2020 08:50:43

Oops, sorry, yes 1220 x 2440. Such a long time since I bought any of that imperial/metric fudge! I’m neither a builder nor a plumber. But the principle is the same - they are progressively going metric.

Thread: Tuna Can Blower
23/01/2020 08:46:49
Posted by Mike Poole on 22/01/2020 17:58:24:

Give the tuna to the cat and you have won a cansmiley

Mike

Might be OK for a veggie, but def not for a vegan? They would only have vegetarian cats, at best (presumably).🙂

Thread: Someone with a Cowells 90ME
23/01/2020 08:37:16
Posted by JasonB on 23/01/2020 07:12:35:

Image above is 495 x 755 pixels but the clicked image is 768 x 1171 which is higher resolution in my book

It is in my book, too. But how do they do that? Interested to learn something.🙂

23/01/2020 06:58:21

Higher resolution? How does it do that? Shirley, it is just a larger picture (same number of pixels) - just the same as expanding the pic on the screen (Ipad)?

Thread: Only for Myford lathes
23/01/2020 06:50:01

They did not make those tool holders that tall for no good reason. It would have been far better to widen the slot, not shorten the holder - especially if you wish to fit 1/2” cutters in a 12.5mm slot. Less metal to remove, for a start. Never mind, done now, too late to undo it.

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
23/01/2020 05:54:14
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/01/2020 00:14:29

dont know

I wonder why they make a special ‘Slip Adapter Coupling’ then

**LINK**

https://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/MEDIA/Downloads/CC_004/61632585_Yorkshire_Solder_Ring_Fittings.pdf

MichaelG.

I have never made a 15mm/1/2” copper coupling with a “special’ connector, but I do know that 1/2” is 12.7mm, not 15😉. They are close enough, for a solder joint, to be compatible. 3/4”, and above, are a different story. You carry on paying out for the expensive connectors and I will carry on just as I have for the last thirty years, and I will also continue with the generalisations. Most sheet material is now 2400 x 1200mm - steadily changing from 2420 x 1210mm. Builders build at 400mm centres for roofing, etc, not 16” as they used to do. I’ve not come across a double glazing company still using inches for manufacturing details - perhaps you know different? No imperial gas meters are installed these days? - even though my supplier seems to take my metric meter readings as though they a cu ft - but charge me by the cubic metre.🙂

They likely make these expensive couplings for people like you to purchase?

I am aware that threaded pipe connectors are BSP - virtually worldwide. But get real, metric is here and here to stay. Some luddites will continue to use imperial units (I meaning beyond the generation that ‘grew up in that era&rsquo. That era has gone. Schools do not teach in imperial units (although converting to old units is part of the syllabus, still).

Yet some students only know their height and weight in imperial numbers - many unaware of manipulating those units mathematically. But these are becoming fewer, thankfully.

As someone from that era when imperial units were rife - but metric scientific units were rapidly becoming universal - I know which system is the sensible one. The only other old unit still commonly used these days is likely calories - but that is still a metric unit (but not SI) - nobody but nobody uses British Thermal Units per ounce (as far as I know). Let us know if you do.🙂

It’s like other things that have been standardised - like our domestic grid voltages - the same as the rest of Europe but not really quite the same. Yes, there will be odd-balls and some compromises (fudges) but metric is the sensible system and is steadily becoming more universal (apart from the Americans and some minor ‘buddies&rsquo.

Have a nice day. Go and cut some imperial metal - if the sizes are easily available or only at a premium.🙂 Even woodworking has now virtually gone metric (softwoods have been traded in metric units for decades, but hardwoods have only mostly changed to metric dimensions much more recently (possibly that was to clarify, to some lesser mortals, which timber type they were using?🙂.

22/01/2020 22:04:13

I’m metricated but have used umpteen (it feels like) scientific measurement systems, so imperial is easy. My lathe and larger mill are imperial and the smaller mill is metric. I nearly always measure in metric unless I am using my limited range of micrometers - some imperial and some metric - but I nearly always aim for a metric size. 0.01mm target is more than close enough for most things I do and 0.04mm would usually be perfectly adequate.

As more and more goes metric, buying new would be a no-brainer for me. Long threads will be correct, with no approximations for the metric machine. Fewer and fewer imperial threads will be used as time progresses. DRO’s certainly take away those calculations, but I still find it easier to add cut by the turn of the handle for roughing cuts.

Gear cutting is similar - most of mine, because they are ancient machines, are DP - in that MOD will eventually take over. Depth of cut, if the gear is to be cut in one go, is currently imperial but eventually will be metric only.

Think here your old housing stock. 15mm copper pipe is the same as 1/2” but the rest need converters every time the pipes are altered.  Bricks are metric.  Everything is metric like large sheets of ply.  Think vehicles - they are all metric now.

Yes, metric is so much easier than imperial measurements. The only ones out of step are the Americans.

Edited By not done it yet on 22/01/2020 22:06:17

Thread: Torx Grub Screws?
22/01/2020 17:05:26

Counterbore and use screws?

Get better quality allen keys? I have a lot of carp allen keys and a few that are of far better quality.

There were two sources on the single ‘goggle’ page I searched on.

Thread: Fly press weights.
22/01/2020 16:53:29

30 years ago, I would simply have picked up the phone and arranged for a ‘sample’ from:

**LINK**

Rep would have picked one/them up and brought it/them back from Liege on his next trip.🙂

Any size (within reason for a company car), any material and any hardness.

They are still going, but contact lost of course.

Also used very large balls in vertical grinding mills. Up to about 400mm, maybe more. Babcock & Wilcox supplied the coal mill, as I recall.... but they were only about 225-250mm diameter IIRC.

Now, what size were you wanting?🙂

22/01/2020 13:05:46

Suppose it might be helpful if we knew the size of balls required? More than 100mm?

Thread: Compressors
21/01/2020 17:36:34
Posted by HOWARDT on 21/01/2020 13:50:21:
Posted by not done it yet on 21/01/2020 12:32:04:

Take it along to a garage forecourt and use their air supply?

Edited By not done it yet on 21/01/2020 12:32:23

You have to pay for air these days at most garages. May be cheaper to gat a compressor in the long run.

My response was to this, posted by the OP at 11:21:07 today, so actually only a very ‘short run’.🙂

My TE has clearly been fired, nothing seems amiss, everything turns freely so I’m fairly confident it will run I would just like to have seen it running before having its hydraulic & steam tests, however I don’t see me wanting to run it on air for entertainment thereafter.

As I see it, a forecourt air supply would be far cheaper with no storage issues. Could sell on a compressor immediately afterwards, I suppose. Still likely cheaper to buy some air. Certainly cheaper than buying a compressor (for one job) if you join the local club and find one that way

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
21/01/2020 17:11:36

and do not use a brazier for heating

Who knows? Perhaps they found they had to put the item in a brazier to get to a suitable temperature. Or perhaps ‘brazing’ is a term introduced instead of ‘brassing’. One thing is evident - (manual) soft soldering often entails the use of a soldering iron. Perhaps ‘brassing’ did, too, when it was first adopted for connecting together brass items. Anybody know?

Martin summed it up quite well, I thought.

Thread: Centec 2a Gear Box Oil
21/01/2020 16:53:26

Morris Minors used engine oil. So did BMC Minis. Note that automatic minis did not like low viscosity or too-slippery oils. The 80/90 gear oil was not quoted as an EP variant so would not eat yellow metals. 80/90 gear oil is about the same viscosity as SAE 30 engine oil.

One reason why folks stick with single viscosity oils is because they are likely non-detergent. Changing to a detergent oil might well clean all the sedimented sludge, accumulated in the engine, and hold it in suspension.

Thread: Fly press weights.
21/01/2020 12:41:22

Cement works local? They will use large cast balls. Generally, up to about 100mm.

21/01/2020 12:32:04

Take it along to a garage forecourt and use their air supply?

Edited By not done it yet on 21/01/2020 12:32:23

Thread: Can we have a really clear distinction between Silver Soldering and Brazing
21/01/2020 08:56:47

Welding is where the component parts (and the filler metal, if used) are actually melted or fused together. This is easier to do with a small, localised, hot flame such as an oxy-acetylene set up. Brazing does not involve the substrate being melted - only the filler is actually melted.

All the lower temperature solders are of a similar ilk - the components are not melted but different fillers are used with different melting points and other differing characteristics.

Think here of brazing cast iron. There is no way that the cast iron is going to melt at brazing temperatures - and if it did, the filler would be completely overheated. Both brazing and soldering require fluxes to maintain unoxidised surfaces to facilitate good contact/adhesion. Welding does not - but does require some form of shielding to prevent the metal burning or seriously oxidising until the joint becomes solid. Melting iron and using brass filler would require some very special flux, I reckon! Just think with a modicum of common sense.

If the OP does not know how the joints are formed, he will not understand the differences in the processes. I think he needs to study a book or two on the subject, before asking such questions (ie before knowing the basic knowledge of the processes).

Also, widen the box (while still thinking inside it) - think about plastics. Some can be welded, too. We don’t usually think of lead-working as a form of welding, but it is. Once the OP knows the difference between welding and brazing/soldering, he may be able to understand the differences between what is described as brazing or soldering and realise they are similar processes but with different nomenclatures. There will never be a ‘clear’ distinction between the two as they overlap each other!

Just like biology, for example - a century, or so, ago living things were described only as either animals or plants - two Kingdoms. Nowadays, we know that this is not the case, so more Kingdoms have been introduced to include the organisms that clearly do not fit in either of the two main definitions of organisms- as used in the past. We also know that some parts of the cell nucleus likely started off as a symbiotic relationship between two early organisms.

Knowledge develops all the time and discrete things (as described in the past) can often, now, be separated into entirely separate ‘sub-assemblies’.

21/01/2020 06:46:04

Join your local model engineering club, is my advice. Someone will have a possible suitable compressor to demonstrate if it runs or not and would likely help you out in making your decision.  A new engine might need rather more pressure than when run in a bit.

Lidl recently sold a small compressor of about a kiloWatt, claimed FAD of 180 litres per minute. Very noisy and without a particularly long continuous run time, but might suffice. They cost about fifty quid.  There is a review video on you tube.

Time of run will clearly depend on tank pressure and size, for a conventional type of compressor.

I personally would not want to buy a modern “buzz box” compressor. An old cast iron unit, running slowly would be a far nicer prospect for me.

PI D^2 h/4 the volume of a cylinder, where Pi is 22/7, D is diameter and h is length of stroke in this case. Paul’s suggestion is a good starting point. Less than that volume would be no good without some form of pressure regulation, fed from a much higher pressure air receiver., for continuous running.

A profile, with location, might help you get some practical assistance. My air line would likely not reach your location!

Edited By not done it yet on 21/01/2020 07:01:30

Thread: Hemingway Myford Tailstock Swarf Guard
20/01/2020 22:42:39

Or wrap a few turns of sticky tape around the tailstock barrel? Remove it afterwards.

Thread: Centec 2a Gear Box Oil
20/01/2020 22:37:51
Posted by Steviegtr on 20/01/2020 22:02:59:

Well I know a lot of Classic british bike owning guys. They all use the old Mineral straight oil. I have many times said why on earth don,t you put some semi synthetic oil in. The answer is always that you cannot because the engine tolerances & the way it is lubed will not work.

It’s a gearbox, not an engine? Modern engine oils don't contain zinc additives, for a start.

Thread: Silver Soldering Brass
20/01/2020 22:25:18

Double post - deleted

Edited By not done it yet on 20/01/2020 22:25:57

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest