By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Burgess Sprayit Compressor
25/04/2019 22:18:26

No machine, or operating destructions, here - well not that I can find. One cupboard, where it may be, is out of bounds currently (a large pile of scrap in front of it).

Thread: DIY Bed Gap
24/04/2019 17:43:23
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 24/04/2019 16:18:20:

Being a Saab, these discs were quirky in that they included a drum for the separate hand-brake shoes. The working surface of these drums corroded very badly, as they didn't ever do any real work,. I could skim them with the same set-up.

Clive

Not particularly quirky or only Saab. Peugeot rear brakes had drums for the handbrake. They changed, between 2002 and 2005, to hand brakes using the discs.

24/04/2019 13:58:20

The centre height is given as 150mm. If that is from the ways to centre line, then the lathe should actually swing very slightly more than double, due to the ways being separated? A tool post grinder would finish off the surfacing better than a cutting tool, I think?

I would not be carving up my lathe like that. Even though it is 50 years old! If surface hardened, the bed could easily warp, let alone the risk of reduced bed stiffness.

New discs, unless ventilated, are dirt cheap anyway - unless you are buying from a dealership (when they will likely double the price just for supplying them). Hardly worth the bother, what with time, etc taken into account.

Thread: Burgess Sprayit Compressor
23/04/2019 23:12:25

I bought one about 40 years ago. Worked OK. Neither high pressure nor volume, but worked a spray gun (was likely a complete kit back then). I don’t know if I still have it or not. Runs dry and exhausts through the relief valve, at the top, when air is not used.

You bought it from Des 53? He had it in mid 2014.

I will look to see if I still have mine and hunt for the destruction manual as well.

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
23/04/2019 18:36:45

I agree with both Ed and Dave.

I have examples of all three types. The Arc ones are not quite as stable as the Warco offering (which are bomb-proof in that the readout remains rock steady), but were cheaper. The Arc ones run on mains leccy, while the Warco ones are battery only. Swings and roundabouts - they are both good enough for the applications and likely better than my machining! They are certainly good aids, but one needs to understand their limitations (accuracy and precision) if needed for very precise measurements.

The comprehensive dro is in another league altogether. It has a further significant figure readout, which means that if the last digit changes by a couple of points it is naff-all for my work! There are things it will do that I will never ever use, does calculations on board and will store umpteen point settings, etc, etc.

They are all better than the mechanical indicators and can instantly work in the choice of metric or imperial units at the press of a button. The only downside is fitting them where they are protected without reducing access for some workpieces, or without reducing table travel (particularly cross travel) on mills. For lathes, they can complicate adding things like taper turning attachments and take up some tailstock travel if fitted to the carriage.

Thread: Cross slide backlash
22/04/2019 13:14:22

As Kwil, there is backlash (within the change of direction of screws in threads) and end-float.

End-float should be eliminated with shims, or other means; backlash is always there to some extent and operators live with it without losing any accuracy in their work.

Thread: Safety of phone chargers
22/04/2019 13:08:31

We have the technology to produce electric power from non-climate-warming sources. All we need to do is to get on with it, instead of the usual government ‘head in the sand’ mode of operation - mainly caused by fear of losing their elected positions or from the lobbyists (and some well heeled people/companies who want to prolong their lucrative profit making activities, come hell or high water).

22/04/2019 10:21:46

Cheap ‘wall warts’ were a notorious fire risk. Likely far better now. Better ones are switch mode type which are better from safety and efficiency. Alternatively charge from a USB socket on the computer?

Edited By not done it yet on 22/04/2019 10:22:25

Thread: Lathe controls position
21/04/2019 19:18:55

The only thing I do left handed (I think) is shooting a rifle or shotgun. When ‘knee high to a grasshopper’ I could not close my left eye (only), but could close only the right - hence the cork guns at the fairgound were shouldered on my left so I could sight the target with one eye closed. My master eye happens to be my left eye, so likely a good job I started that way.

When I had a FAC, my rifle was a Browning T-Bolt - right handed, but the bolt simply pulls back (without first rotating it, like most bolt action firearms do).

I recently fitted a left handed stock to an air rifle and changed the bolt action from right to left. Seems very awkward, operating the bolt with my left hand.

Nearly all semi-auto shotguns used to be right handed (only Franchi made a leftie version, as I recall) in the last century. Things have changed recently.

20/04/2019 22:05:58

I expect it is because in ye olde days, everyone had to be right-handed. Sword scabbards would be clashed if they were on the ‘wrong’ side, infantry with pikes would not be uniform with ‘lefties amongst the line, archers would clash when drawing their bows or extracting arrows from the quivers. Jousting might have been a bit awkward, too!

All machines were made for ‘righties’, not ‘lefties’. Just like left handed scissors only being available in relatively recent years.

Every one of my circular sock knitting machines is right handed. Only recently manufactured machines are now being offered in either left or right versions.

Go back only a relatively few decades and school children were not allowed to be lefties - they had to conform to the standard of being right handed - no wonder some children’s education was a bit lacking!

’Nuff said? Try picking up heavy workpieces and fitting them in the chuck with your non-dominant hand.

Thread: Presumably this is done using CNC... but even so its impressive
20/04/2019 02:56:36

Guessing that uses of these would be injection moulding, diesel fuel injectors and clearly air bearings. Any examples of others?

Do they, I wonder, really need to fit piston rings to F1 engines these days! Although a minute temperature difference between parts might cause interference?

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
19/04/2019 20:15:12

Should be able to find something that size! How big is your shop?smiley

Thread: Making Holes in Copper Sheet
19/04/2019 11:15:26

Adjustable tank cutter? Or Qmax type (may not be rated for 3mm and the ‘nominal’ size may not be quite as ‘nominal’ as you might want) smiley Nominal size of 22mm pipe may not be quite 22mm exactly, but could be swaged to fit? I clearly don’t read the same mag as you, so no idea how far you might want to push this pipe through the hole.

The methods suggested above but I think I might cut into something more robust under the sheet.

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
19/04/2019 11:00:04

I would most certainly advise against buying cheap chinese from bang good. If there were to be a problem you might very likely be able to kiss goodbye to your money.

What they are selling is likely to be iffy on quality, if not rejects from more choosy wholesale buyers. And their customer service reeks (past experience).

Cheapest is usually (but not always) not the best deal.

I once bought a bullet camera from china on which the voltage dropper slowly got warmer and warmer, then it got hotter and hotter until I junked it on safety grounds (before it melted, or worse). Got my money back through epay or paypal (all one, now) but the supplier was not prepared to budge before I made the claim for a refund. I think they just hope the buyers who get the dodgy items won’t make waves. Epay are probably quite aware of the numbers of claims on some of these items or suppliers, but still carry on collecting their sales commissions, all the same.

I still buy from China, but am as selective as I can be. It can be better than buying the same item from a “UK location” (at increased cost) sometimes. I recently wanted an item at short notice, but it took about 10 days to arrive from Portsmouth (I think). It would have arrived just as soon, and at reduced cost, if ordered direct from China. I suspect that they were not stocking the item at all.

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
19/04/2019 09:31:00
Posted by Robin Graham on 19/04/2019 02:51:10:

I've always found it easier to debug other people's computer programs and algebra than my own. The brain just goes along the same tramlines with your own stuff.

Robin.

Quite right. In my first job we had to make some fairly lengthy calculations to compute the result for any particular pair of assays. These were always checked by another colleague (and signed off as correct). If any errors were found to have been missed, the checker got the dressing down, not the initiator. Usual calculators, back then, were slide rules (or cylinders) mechanical machines, log tables or a crummy early electronic calculator (that was decidedly inconsistent in it workings)!

Thread: Sprit Burner Size?
18/04/2019 12:46:15

If the alcohol is derived by distillation, one cannot achieve better than 96% - as that is a constant boiling mixture for water and ethyl alcohol. There are chemical ways of drying it further or, alternatively, synthesising it by other chemical methods.

Best we can get is about 25% alcohol by fermentation (the yeast will be killed off in higher concentrations). Then we need to distil the mixture, under reflux, to attain high alcohol mixtures. An ordinary still, without reflux, can just about achieve 90% at best, 85% being more typical, but efficiency falls off quite sharply.

Thread: How much can a chuck effect finish?
18/04/2019 08:25:44

Choose your machining days in the workshop more carefully?!smiley

If your bearings feel rough, they are rough.

Any three jaw chuck could be off-centre by a few tous - but the cut will still be concentric.

Are these cuts carried out using a centre support? I expect so if you are an experienced machinist, but that would reduce or remove any end-float, provided the thrust bearings are not shot.

Is it both facing and sliding cuts? Dry bearings are not a good sign.

Somehow, I doubt it is the chuck. Holding power would have to be suspect, if it was - and tailstock support should help to keep everything held in position.

Thread: Sprit Burner Size?
18/04/2019 08:07:58

Meths is simply denatured alcohol. 96% will likely be the best attainable. Cheaper supplies may contain more water?

I doubt that 99% industrial alcohol is particularly any more flammable than meths. Ethyl alcohol at 100% proof was flammable back in the old naval days when that was the test for unadulterated rum rations. 100% proof, then, is about 55%ABV now, I think, although the actual numbers changed a bit at some time.

Thread: Thread locking
18/04/2019 07:56:47

It was cheap and I threw it out, iirc.

The grease or the lens?

Thread: What DRO to get?
18/04/2019 07:50:51

I reckon your thinking is flawed. The z axis on mine is certainly not 50mm. A couple hundred, more like.

I have a separate reader for the quill, but the main dro is on the table x, y and z axes. I avoid extending the quill for milling, so it only gets used for drilling, normally.

A dro on the z axis certainly needs to be on the table lift when used in horizontal format!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest