By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Those little screws for carbide inserts...
23/10/2019 11:25:59
Posted by Robin Graham on 22/10/2019 23:46:10:

Thanks for confirmation - I'll order up 2.5x0.45 mm taps then. Thanks also for the suggestion of eBay for the screws - £3.88 for 50 including postage from China! Not sure I'd go for that (if it seems too good to be true...) but there's a UK distributor doing them @ £4 for 10 - I imagine they're of far Eastern origin at that price, but they do at least say they're 12.9 steel which may be some sort of indication of quality. Possibly!

On taps, looking at Tracy tools they offer carbon steel at £3 or HSS at £9. My only experience of CS taps is with a Silverline set which I bought when starting out (about £30 quid for a set 2-12 mm in taper, second and plug together with dies and stocks - why pay more! ). Complete cr*p unsurprisingly, but maybe not a reflection on CS in general. Does anyone have experience of the Tracy CS offerings? I doubt that I'm going to use the tool more than half a dozen times (in mild steel).

Robin.

How about being a ‘guinea pig’, buy some and report back on the quality for other’s benefit?

Regarding CS taps, I have an old set (or part-set now) and only use them for cleaning up damaged threads these days. So, good chasers, not so good for serious fresh threading is my view, but depends on what you are tapping and how many iterations, I suppose.

Thread: Coke for brazing purposes
23/10/2019 11:12:10

More ash and alkalis, but charcoal might be a reasonable substitute these days, if you really want to go that route for brazing. Arrange to do your brazing after the BBQ?

Thread: Creating Heat for Hardening
22/10/2019 19:37:17

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that the flame requires oxygen to burn the fuel. Disrupting the flow will cause the flame to extinguish. Either simply because products of combustion are being drawn in - instead of air - or that increased pressure is slowing the combustion air being drawn in by the ’venturi’ effect of the fuel flow. Improved design of the combustion chamber - shape, size - and improved exhaust exit from the combustion area are required. Slower heating is another option, utilising more heat from the hot gases generated before they exit the chamber.

Thread: kerry ag lathe
22/10/2019 19:07:39

Regarding lubricants - these have moved on since years gonenpast.  A modern equivalent is likely available from a modern oil blending company.  Probably a modern equivalent, probably exceeding the original specification, would be available at less cost than the option above.

I simply ask Witham Oils if I cannot find any alternatives for obscure specifications.  You may have a closer supplier.

Edited By not done it yet on 22/10/2019 19:16:02

22/10/2019 19:07:24

From the normal meaning of ‘neutral’ it would indicate the position where there is no output - just like gears of a car.

Thread: Stripped thread / Pultra P type
22/10/2019 17:49:56

Bore it, bush it, and re-thread? Silver solder or loctite the bush. Your choice, but I loctited and also pinned the plain feed screw nut I am currently repairing. As it is not a ‘half-nut clamping system’ you could change the thread form to a new screw thread if you wished, so no reason to give up on that worn out nut - ie you could make it slightly less in diameter, if too tight on bush diameter and make a new threaded part for the screw.

Mine has been left in the 4 jaw, awaiting threading, due to no time in the workshop, but will have a square thread cut in it to fit the feed screw.

Someone on the forum said a square thread could not be adjusted for wear (backlash), but comprehensively failed to offer an explanation as to how any other thread form, on a simple feed nut, can be adjusted as it wears. Raglan used square feed screw threads on most of their lathes and mills. I have yet to come across any other thread form on a Raglan lathe or mill feed screw. Only the lead screw half nuts are ACME form.

Lastly, even anti-backlash nuts are no good if the screw is worn excessively in the most-used section, so do check the wear on the screw before making any changes....

Thread: Turning a recess in the end of a bar
22/10/2019 13:23:24

Length of bar protruding from the chuck is important. If bore of spindle will accept 40mm - a simple boring tool or any suitable cutter once the recess is started at the centre.

If too big for the bore but short enough for “between centres”, use a fixed steady and then as above. If very long, as SOD

Thread: Warco GH1224 Wiring Diagram
22/10/2019 10:32:44

If it actually went ‘pop’, there was certainly something awry. Something, I would suggest, momentarily made contact with an earth potential. A chafed Live wire is most likely, I would think. Either rubbed against the case or against a an adjacent neutral conductor.. The other ’non-electrical’ fault might have been an evaporated spider or such-like?

Thread: Raglan training lathe value?
22/10/2019 10:05:48

Hollowpoint,

Just check out eBay item number: 264473526961 for £300

Auction a month ago and withdrawn - probably sold outside epay. Don’t know what it may have gone for, but if space was available, I would go for one like this (given no drastic faults) - variable speed, twice the power, 1/3rd to 3x the rpm, screw cutting, power feed on both axes, QCGB, auto trip on carriage long travel and an extra 10” of space between centres.

IMO, unless under £150 the training lathe is not particularly good value versus a decent Little John, let alone a 5”!

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
22/10/2019 09:21:14

My wife has a simple layout. She is awaiting a proper ‘steam’ engine instead of the ‘inter-city’ version, currently supplied, and to find a suitable case to set it up more permanently.

Thread: Raglan training lathe value?
21/10/2019 11:48:46
Posted by Hollowpoint on 21/10/2019 10:03:33:

The Loughborough was my first lathe! If you can live without screw cutting it's an absolutely brilliant little lathe. It's very rigid and the build quality is excellent. It has good spindle capacity and they are cheap! When you consider the other crap in the same price bracket it's a steal.

Agreed, but not really in the price bracket indicated by the OP. smiley One can buy a good 5” for that sort of money!

21/10/2019 11:48:44
Posted by Hollowpoint on 21/10/2019 10:03:33:

The Loughborough was my first lathe! If you can live without screw cutting it's an absolutely brilliant little lathe. It's very rigid and the build quality is excellent. It has good spindle capacity and they are cheap! When you consider the other crap in the same price bracket it's a steal.

Agreed, but not really in the price bracket indicated by the OP. smiley One can buy a good 5” for that sort of money!

Thread: What's the company called
21/10/2019 11:44:09

No supplier by that name listed in the free show guide.

Wuhu Brand Arts and Crafts Co were listed as ‘live steam models’.

www.bowandeusa.com

They were stand number 82, if that helps...

edit Mike got there first.smiley

Edited By not done it yet on 21/10/2019 11:45:17

Thread: Pratt Burnerd 4 jaw Chuck jaw alignment
21/10/2019 09:27:24

If the jaws have not already been ground, if laid on a flat surface, would the outer ‘lands’ not be found to be parallel? Not so much distance over which to measure, but should show a difference?

Thread: Two weeks wasted
21/10/2019 09:23:50
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 21/10/2019 01:53:05:

Well, Peter, you've just 'won' two weeks! What are you going to do with it? What would any of us do with an extra two weeks? Suggestions please...

I don’t think it quite works like that. smiley

He is now simply (almost) back on track.

Thread: Interface PCB for the ELS project
21/10/2019 09:18:39

At last! An image I can see. smiley None on the other thread were anything other than an empty box.

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
20/10/2019 23:15:20

Dave,

You are right - ‘e’ for ‘er and ‘i’ for ‘im! My bad. Wasn’t thinking.

Some of the bobbins are quite valuable, too. Particularly the ‘hanging’ bobbins. I hate to guess how many bobbins are around our house (pillows as well).

Thread: Limiting pressure to a gauge
20/10/2019 18:06:56

The last VE post says enough - it was an experimental engine.

I have a Wisconsin VE4 engine that simply sprays oil around the required areas of the engine and so would not require a PRV. It does not have an oil pressure gauge of any description. A blocked big end spray nozzle might be the death of the crank - while still registering the low running pressure. I don’t think the roller-bearing mains were lubricated directly, just relying on oil splash, even though it revs to 2200rpm.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
20/10/2019 17:47:45

I think Arc’s reputation amongst hobbyists would not be particularly further enhanced by their attendance or not.

Even though they are only 30 miles or so from this exhibition the expenditure, of time effort and money, would likely only attract a few possible new customers, while adding pennies to all our orders - the cost has to come fom somewhere!

They retain their high regard, by customers, by other means (competitive prices, helpful and generally good to deal with).

I wonder what exactly they might gain by attending? Only Myford and Chester attended as hobby OE machine suppliers (if we can call myford ‘original&rsquo. As I see it, the most useful thing might be using the show as a collection point (of previously placed orders) by those attending the show!

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
20/10/2019 14:26:44
Posted by steamdave on 19/10/2019 16:31:19:

When I visited GEARS over in Portland OR, the ladies of the exhibitors were not left out on a limb looking disinterestedly at the engines while hubby was rapt: they had their own display (in the same building) of their crafts, mostly quilting and needlework sort of things. It was very noticeable how many of the men went and viewed them.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Francis was quietly making lace at the Midlands show, on the Thursday - don’t know if she persisted for all days.

That was one way to pass the time.... She was actually getting quite a lot of attention while we were in that area of the show. Lacemaking is ‘basically’ a simple operation. Lacers only use four sticks at any one time and there are only two stitches - a full (cloth)- and half- stitch. If you could manage the first, the second is easier! Most of the rest is ‘crosses’ and ‘twists’ - with a few other manipulations thrown in when required. The real skill is making it all look neat and appealing - as well as designing patterns, choosing appropriate threads, etc....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest