By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: And still they come !!
08/04/2020 21:34:31
Posted by stevetee on 08/04/2020 19:24:58:

Apparently this caravan incident is members of the 'unsettled ' community. 3 people in custody and 2 stolen vehicles recovered. So not as simple as people travelling down to self isolate....

Not only that. There may be other reasons.

**LINK**

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/three-men-teen-14-arrested-4029792

Always the possibility that some others, associated with the above investigation, were re-locating? Temperature is perhaps ‘cooler’ at a good distance from the ‘heat’ of the investigation?

Thread: What is it with the fit of old slotted screws?!
07/04/2020 07:39:34

Gun smithing is a prime example of using their own standard, if there actually is one. The correct sized screwdriver works.

Thread: What are these for
06/04/2020 11:23:32

P4,

My first thought, but the bolt cannot push and pull at the same time? Because BB has not said there are any movable parts at the bottom end have to assume they simply fit in a slot of some description. Parts for some form of jig?]

I thought the pair on the left might be for holding a saw/blade, possibly for sharpening? Or fitting longer blades in a machine?

Edited By not done it yet on 06/04/2020 11:25:42

Thread: Todays news -- well done
05/04/2020 19:25:53

I’m likely going ‘rolling’ tomorrow. Maybe ‘drilling’ instead.

I’m over 70 and my wife has no spleen, but I reckon that the farmer has to get the work done and it will be in thirty acre fields, so well away from anyone else.

It will get me out for a few hours, do my friend a huge favour (he might well have had to employ potentially covid19 workers to help on the farm at this fairly busy time and he, too, is over 70).

That and setting up reasonably sterile conditions for making NHS-compliant face mask frames means I reckon I am doing my bit, as safely as possible, even though the risk is marginally higher than just making the necessary shopping trip tomorrow evening.

It will also give me the opportunity, perhaps, to zero in my air rifle (after making a night-vision set-up for it these last few days).

Police were right to intervene. Otherwise, next week there would be hundreds doing the same trick. Are these people idiots, or what? They do not need their brains testing for any form of sensible operation. They don’t have one!

As someone posted somewhere else - think how stupid the average person can be, and then realise that half the population are below average.....

Thread: Editing my own thread
04/04/2020 13:20:26

You’ve left an’r’ out of muderators.😀. Or did you mean someone else?

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
03/04/2020 23:35:11

The one I did earlier (from the other thread) was reasonably quick and did not need a raft. It is just that if I am going to make a whole batch of these, in sets if six at a time, I don’t want any mishaps if I can avoid them. They take 55g of plastic each.

I will revert to a simpler/quicker design if they are approved for NHS use (somewhere!).

03/04/2020 23:11:47

Apparently you can make up to 6 in a stack (of the Prusa design). I’m trying one on a raft tonight as this afternoon's effort came loose from the bed at about 5 1/2 hours (of 6 1/2).

Says 17 hours for a stack of four, I think. I expect that is subject to shortening a bit by the 3D printing experts?

Thread: Another mystery no. 100
03/04/2020 19:00:50

Seems like an attachment for manually cutting gears using the lathe....?

Thread: Wow, what a battery
03/04/2020 16:26:53

That shows just how much an Ah value is without the voltage supplied.

Was it Howell who started a nuclear reactor all by himself by pressing a button (and a milliammeter sprung into life🙂?

Rutland Water was inaugurated by someone pressing a button to power a relay to power a breaker that started a pump.

It’s that little bottle of champagne that pushes the boats off from the drydock, into the water, all by itself?

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
03/04/2020 08:44:40

I fail to understand how the material of the visor can make a difference to the hole spacing of a standard hole punch.

unless the STL file is for a particular standard of hole punch and the punch used is to a different standard.

Apart from that obvious difficulty, it looks like a good project. I note there is another STL file for a similar project in a thread today. I am going to print that one.

Thread: Help with finishing Wobbler engine
03/04/2020 08:23:43

I’ve no idea, but the first thing that comes to mind is: Is there a difference between marking the points by the different methods? No issue if the result is the same?

I would guess that the practical, rather than theoretical approach may be for those that have not managed all the drawings dimensions accurarely?

Thread: Machinery's Handbook
02/04/2020 17:56:49

It’ll keep you busy, reading it from cover to cover! Enjoy.🙂

Thread: A few Thou Under?
02/04/2020 17:51:05

What dies are you using - split or solid?

Thread: New design of mains plug?
02/04/2020 13:13:32
Posted by Simon0362 on 02/04/2020 11:08:35:
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 02/04/2020 10:41:51:

Hi Simon, personally I see no safety aspects of these cards, the instructions a very clear and any fuse rating on the card only tells you what value the plug is supplied with and can be changed. To be frank, if you can't understand how to fit a plug, then you should not attempt to do it. As far as fitting the plug, the wiring is the same regardless of the fuse rating on the card and the card can and should be removed once the plug is fitted, however I see no risk in leaving it on providing the fuse rating stated on the card is the same as that which is fitted in the plug.

Regards Nick.

Ah, not the point I intended to get across.....duh!

I have no issue whatsoever with the printed content on the card, rather the fact that a piece of cardboard is trapped between the plug body and the socket and wondering if it conforms to all the flash and tracking criteria that I believe apply to the plastics used in the plug bodies.

So, how much of a safety (fire?) hazard is a piece of cardboard especially if it became damp is my amended question.

Simon

Irrelevant with plugs which have to the live and neutral pins plastic covered at that end, I would have thought.

I thought that all plugs sold separately were required to be fitted with a 13A fuse?

Thread: Counterboring tools?
01/04/2020 19:48:10

For the number of counter-bores I need to do, I centre with the drill size (if counter-bores are done separate to the hole drilling) and change to an end mill. Most often simply done immediately after drilling thus on centre already. So much like Mick B1 except that any end mill of the right size will do the job.

I have half a dozen counter-bore drills but have never used them.

Thread: Square thread cutting
01/04/2020 18:01:08

Your S&B back plates seem very inaccurately/poorly made or very much worn away. My Raglan and back plates are very much OK, thanks. They all repeat very precisely.

But there again, perhaps you are comparing apples with oranges. Does a myford repeat that well with back plates so variable and slack? Further, I do wonder after your reply, why lathe manufacturers bothered with registers.🙂. They clearly didn’t know as much about lathe manufacture as you seem to know. How on earth have they managed to get it so wrong for so long! Good day.

01/04/2020 13:15:26
Posted by old mart on 31/03/2020 20:35:46:

Since Raglan seem to be uniquely unfortunate in specifying a square thread for your lathe spindle which has no inherent self centring qualities, you need to actually measure the registers and compare the results to the drawings. The rear one is 1.750" on the spindle and the front one is 1.562". Any reduction due to wear will have to be compensated for when the backplate is made.

On the other hand, perhaps they were uniquely fortunate that the registers were the only centring feature and the square threads avoided any interference from any “self-centring” thread form. Cheapness does not always lead to the highest quality resolution for any particular facet of manufacture.

Edited By not done it yet on 01/04/2020 13:15:53

Thread: New design of mains plug?
01/04/2020 13:03:59
Posted by Bill Chugg on 01/04/2020 12:43:58:

What an excellent suggestion Mike, and yes , lets have a hands up for a 13A fuse fitted to a table lamp or a radio.smiley

Or, just list your horror finds.

Bill

Even if not a 13A it would likely be a 3A these days (the standard issue options?). I pride myself on fitting an appropriate fuse to everything I have. But do remember the fuse in the plug is protecting the connecting lead, not the appliance.

I was told (25 years ago) that there is at least one plug with conductors not gripped properly (only one layer of insulation outside the plug). Clearly with moulded plugs this error has reduced considerably but it showed the dangers that are simply condoned by some, where electricity is concerned.

Thread: DTI base
01/04/2020 12:27:16

Journeyman,

I just looked at your review. It reminds me of bang whotsit items. Only buy if you can afford to throw it away. I’ve got one similar to that one - likely from bang whotsit. It simply does not get used. The magnetic base is not that magnetic and it is small. I still use my M&W or Eclipse all the time.

Good of you to be honest and not one of those reviewers on the kit supplier’s payroll (free gifts and percentage commission on purchases made through their referrals) who make loads of misleading(?) reviews that eulogise about kit that is not that good

To Henry - Buy cheap, buy twice. It is something that you need to use regularly, so a good quality item is a must, as far as I am concerned. Yes, positioning is always a problem with a small mill. A clock of any description is most usefully mounted to the spindle or spindle housing in my experience.

I bought attachment from Arc **LINK** and find it most useful on the mill.

I’ve only used it with a dti so far, but that is what most measurements are for - comparative, not absolute.

Thread: Square thread cutting
31/03/2020 19:59:04

The main thing missed here is that of the thread “ being merely”. Too much credence given to a perfectly fitting thread. It is not absolutely necessary. The register dimensions are the overwhelmingly important dimensions which must be closely adhered to.

For a lathe with reversing on the feed direction and choice of cutting at the front or rear (upside-down cutter), the problem of a screwed chuck is simply non-existent.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest