By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vertical milling attachment vs combo lathe/mill??
14/12/2018 23:10:32

I don’t suppose, for one moment, that a Labormil Universal Machine (in good condition) would do all that is required?

**LINK**

I would have tried to buy one if I had space for one in my workshop... even just for the novelty. I have seen a couple or more other serious contenders as combination machines at a friend’s home - originally designed for submarine or ship-board repair facilities, I think.

14/12/2018 16:09:05

I thought Ady and Mike (first two replies on the thread) were about right. I’ve followed the thread and am eventually adding my two pennorth worth.

I bought a mill/drill combo lathe as a starter. I was green and didn’t get on well with it. I had lots of experience with proper woodworking machinery several years previously. The lathe was not the best and the milling head was never used to its potential (I think).

I added a mill, which was not nearly rigid enough, particularly for a learner, but cost little and sufficed for several years.

Moving on ten years and more.

I had picked up an old Raglan Little John lathe which I eventually returned to working order. I was sold on the QCGB option, added a QCTP and thought ‘that will do me for whats left of my days’. Threading was a dream and it surfaced and faced under power far better than the previous (which was only powered on the long travel).

That lathe has been replaced, but only because I happened on a Raglan 5” in very good condition at a very enticing price. With an (admittedly) largely improved Raglan, of which I am well satisfied (with all the improvements to the basic design), I am sure I won’t be changing that model for a later one! It suits me fine.smiley

In between the two Raglan lathes, I bought a delightful example of a Raglan mill, fully realising it was for small work. I then realised the value of Centec mills, from reading about their attributes, while investigating options for a larger mill. So when I found a suitable sample, I bought it.

I now have a superb British lathe of adequate size for most things I do (12” to the foot scale) and a delightful small British mill as well as the British made combo mill that does most of my machining in vertical mode - but is also useful for horizontal work.

So my advice would be to get a decent sized lathe, of the best quality you can afford, and follow it with a mill when funds allow. A good milling attachment on the lathe might bridge the gap, but that is all if a lot of work is undertaken.

I could, in hindsight, have bought a large mill and done most of my work on that - there is not much that a large mill cannot do (that a lathe is normally used for - threading being the clear exception!) with the extras that can be used with them. But that is hindsight.smiley With 3 machines available, I still find I have to break down set-ups at times. I am only a part time hobbyist with this kit. I have several other hobbies that also vie for my time.

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
14/12/2018 12:35:53

Hopper,

There is no way of helping those that are not smart enough to take heed of the advice regularly and freely available.

Anyone who thinks the tax man is going to arrest them before making previous representations for monies owed is not the smartest amongst us.

Those that do not ring the bank (or accountant) from another line is also sub-informed - there have been copious warnings of this type of scam.

Perhaps she was actually more clever than thought, and arranged to ‘fall’ for the scam to recover the amount she knew she owed in taxes? Then later claimed back the money from whoever she could sue for making such a transaction! It has been tried before.

Thread: Squaring in the lathe
14/12/2018 12:21:19
Posted by Hopper on 14/12/2018 11:41:14:

Another way of doing it is a fly cutter held in the lathe chuck and the material clamped to the cross slide. You can then use a dial indicator to get sides set up dead parallel to the lathe axis before starting the cut. But again it depends on how good the alignment of the cross slide to the lathe axis is. (Not very good on most worn lathes and some newer ones of lesser quality.)

That might depend on the workpiece. The ‘dishing’ problem could well be resolved by doing it that way and opposite side parallelism need not be an issue - as long as the piece is turned around appropriately?

Thread: R8 Collet Chuck or R8 Collet
14/12/2018 12:12:06

There are clearly differences in use, but I reckon CT is likely not far off the mark. Workpieces can (usually) be raised from the table by using parallels if one is visually challenged, while using direct collets, at times. As I see it, generally just needs thinking about before starting the job.

A lockable spindle is likely a help because whether removing direct collets or chucked collets, some effort is required each time the tool size changes. That where the old reliable Jacobs chuck comes into its own whenever only axial loads are concerned. Most larger cutters would be sourced to fit directly in the spindle?

I don’t have R8, but do have a Clarkson, ER and some discrete direct collets - all 2MT. I use each as I feel fits the task, but would not now complete a full set of direct collets. ER gets used most.

Thread: ML7 questions
14/12/2018 11:39:50

Posted by John Haine on 14/12/2018 11:10:54:

I'm not sure why there is so much discussion about spanners. It matters not a jot what the label on the spanner says, its across flats distance needs to be just a shade bigger than the a/f measurement of the nut.

Well said, JH.

And if the jaws are not quite larger, most will have recourse to a mill to make them slightly larger! But scrub out/cover up/re-mark/whatever, so that the spanner is clearly not what it was marked as, prior to the modification. Alternatively, rely on a monkey wrench.devil

Edited By not done it yet on 14/12/2018 11:40:39

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
14/12/2018 11:31:41

From the net re bt area codes and phone numbers;

———-

“Firstly, most phone companies allow business users to choose the numbers they present through Caller ID when making an outbound call. It is quite possible for a business to display a UK local number they own, even if the call in question was actually made from the other side of the world. “

————

Says it all, really. Scamming is big business in some parts of the world!

Thread: Barrier cream
14/12/2018 09:53:08

A search for ‘clean hands’ may reveal the thread you were wanting.

Thread: A question about lock (jam) nuts
13/12/2018 22:24:46

Who woud be first to lose that specially designed pin spanner, of huge cost?

I wouldn’t, because I know I would likely mislay it, especially just before I needed it, so I would buy something else!

Thread: 2.05mm or #45?
13/12/2018 22:19:27
Posted by speelwerk on 13/12/2018 21:37:34:

No doubt it will differ from drill to drill but I have the impression that with these smaller sizes, if you first use a drill 0.1 mm undersize and than finish with the size you actually want, it gives you a hole diameter closer to the nominal. Niko.

That is entirely logical if the cutting edges of the first drill are of slightly different length - the finishing drill point doesn’t need to follow the centre of the hole and be thwarted by the point being non-concentric to the drill (like the original drill might be). So OK as long as the drill flutes are the nominal size.

Thread: Cost of deliveries
13/12/2018 20:40:10

Dave,

Is that 400 billion an absolute or comparative value for the worth of the GBP of exports some decades ago?

Thread: Dave Fenner(A Bandsaw Damper MEW 126)
13/12/2018 20:29:19

Posted by JasonB on 13/12/2018 19:25:54

Dead easy to message anyone if you know their user name, no need to find a post. Just click the message member icon under any post, delete the name that comes up and start typing the name of who you want, it will start prompting all the davids etc. Can't actually track down any posts by him.

Wow! Dead easy when you know how! I wonder how many on the forum knew that? So back in Martin’s court, but apparently it may not help him anyway!

Edit: jb was clearly waiting on a reply and jumped in before I had a chance to realise my wording was a little off.

Edited By not done it yet on 13/12/2018 20:34:45

Thread: Tungsten Alloy
13/12/2018 20:16:38

Rod, unless there is a change in volume from the separate components, it would appear to be nearer 65/35 W/Cu. Lower down they quote 13.8g/cm^3 and indicate it as 70/30 Cu/W product. So it may be pot luck what actual density one might receive! So much for chinese products?

Thread: Colchester Triumph 7 1/2" automatic feed problems
13/12/2018 19:51:42

Howard,

Highlight your text, copy it and then change page. If/when you lose it you can paste back your previous keying, on returning to the reply.

Thread: Mini-Lathe Repair
13/12/2018 19:40:38

The drive on any V belt should be on the sides, not on the bottoms, or tops, of each element.

Thread: Cost of deliveries
13/12/2018 19:27:04

Shipping should be added to get to the overall cost. Multiple items, in one package, should cost less than sending each item separately.

In the past, I have made several separate orders to epayers because they would not reduce the overall shipping costs for a combined consignment. It did not save me anything, but doubtlessly reduced their profit, or increased their handling times. My time, now I am retired, is not costed like it was when I was working.

Thread: Dave Fenner(A Bandsaw Damper MEW 126)
13/12/2018 17:29:40

Yes, the forum is pretty well useless for finding a post by any particular poster - unless you can remember a topic on which they posted, then it is easy.

13/12/2018 14:05:08

Message him. He may well receive a notification by email.

Thread: Mini-Lathe Repair
13/12/2018 14:02:18

That is at the top end. What about the minimum attainable? Low range might be different, too. Might be a case of roundabouts and swings!

Thread: 2.05mm or #45?
13/12/2018 13:56:22
Posted by Bazyle on 13/12/2018 13:13:45:

Measure the hole and if it is 2.0829mm send it back devil

What’s the postage for sending a hole anywhere?wink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Shapiro
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest