By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chemically cleaning brass - gently
20/01/2021 05:50:31

Hi KB,

If your fuel contains any appreciable amount of ethanol (most do, these days), that is likely your problem. There are fuels without ethanol for small engines or stabilising additives. Some additives work and some are likely snake oil.

Better to avoid the problem than forever cleaning jets. Donnyboy73, on youtube, likely gives some reasonable advice.

Thread: removing ball oilers
20/01/2021 05:38:36

Search ‘oilers’. Read applicable threads, particularly the ‘press button oilers’.

Thread: Hemingway Kits filing Machine
19/01/2021 21:20:41

A ‘lever bolt’ (just ‘goggle’ it for lots of examples) might be a better alternative for that clamping screw for holding the swivel. Not bench made but reasonably cheap and effective. Mostly metric, mind. I change the bolt with a stud (with metric thread on one end and thread required on t’other).

Thread: Mechanical lubricator ratchet wheels
19/01/2021 20:29:13

Do the wheels need to be hardened? If not, anneal them. Alternatively grind off the case hardening or get a drill/cutter suitable for cutting hardened steel.

Thread: Advice for surface finishing
19/01/2021 20:23:23

The shininess can be improved with emery cloth, of course - but that finish looks a bit rough, even for that.

Thread: Ethanol
19/01/2021 20:16:58

IDA is normally denatured ethyl alcohol at about 95% pure - the rest being the denaturing chemical (often methyl alcohol plus a bittering agent - if appropriate) and water. The water is there because the ethanol is generally distilled and 95.5% is about the best one can manage by that means ( theoretical is 95.7%, IIRC).

Absolute ethanol is either produced by other means or chemically dried - hence is very expensive.

Thread: Glueing acetyl
19/01/2021 20:04:03

GC has the remedy. Often additionally secured with a screw for further security.

Thread: Fast charging anyone?
19/01/2021 19:55:41

A half horse power motor would consume 375Wh during each hour (units kept as Wh for comparison)

An electric car would consume 30,000Wh while travelling that 60 miles at 500Wh/mile, which is quite a high value as some EVs use less than half that amount

So not quite as amazing when one understands the units!

Edited By not done it yet on 19/01/2021 19:56:34

Thread: The demise of UK fossil fuel Power Stations
19/01/2021 19:38:37

I suspect that Drax only makes a profit by getting subsidies from the government (from taxpayers, of course) for generating using a ‘non-fossil’ fuel. Fuel is lumped together with all biomass. Look at sites such as:

**LINK**

to see the amounts of CO2 emitted to the atmosphere. Less than coal (or gas) but still considerable.

The 3.6 TWh of wind turbine power generation, which was not actually generated (turbine generation was ‘constrained’ - as in ‘stopped, shut down or blades were feathered to reduce output) simply because the UK grid was deemed unable to cope with that amount of generation - due to two reasons:

1) the need to keep some sites generating as these would be needed to restart generation if there were to be a nation-wide blackout and

2) because the grid could not cope with the incoming power with the present structure (think here our circulatory system heart to arteries to capillaries - it does not work too well if the main source of blood flow was first through capillaries!). We need more/better high voltage grid lines across the country to distribute all of that energy when the turbines are operating at their full capacity. National Grid call it ‘grid reinforcement’.

until recently, gas fired generation was rarely run below 5GW as it was deemed ‘necessary’.  Recently it has been reduced much lower than that.

Edited By not done it yet on 19/01/2021 19:42:15

Thread: Planer Blades
19/01/2021 12:14:51
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 19/01/2021 09:55:40:

Ever try working on hard maple ?sad

Timbers with a high silica content are the ones that wreak havoc with planer blades.

Thread: Cura 4.8
19/01/2021 12:06:56

I doubt it - if you go back over the last 40 years or so.🙂

Thread: Fast charging anyone?
19/01/2021 09:26:50
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 19/01/2021 09:11:45:

Yes, and just imagine the chaos as all roads are ripped up to triple the load capacity of the existing power cables. Electric cars, electric heating etc etc as gas oil and petrol etc convert to electricity - and then the electricity workers go on strike for more pay. Its a case of all yer eggs in one basket??

So what did you do when the tanker drivers went on strike? What did you do when the oil crises of the early’70s occurred?

Charging stations would store leccy, just like they currently store petrol? Only they would just need to store it on a daily basis? Taking power for three times as long, instead of three times as much, is the simple answer to your stifled imagination!🙂.

‘On yer bike’ would suffice for a fair amount of the mileage covered by many current car users (thinking here of the daily school run, minor shopping expeditions, etc)

Whatever happens, there will always be a residual group of carpers.

19/01/2021 07:53:41

At the right cost and reasonable longevity, that would end the harping about those two factors regarding BEVs.

Thread: Planer Blades
18/01/2021 23:15:42

I would think times between sharpening is the difference. The obvious difference is that extra ~12% Tungsten in the T1.

TC blades are good but I would guess that chips can be expensive to clean up (apart from that initial cost!).

I found that blades could last weeks between sharpening (with a regular honing) or perhaps only days (or less!) on iroko (or particularly with teak).

Thread: Deckel fp1 feed gears
18/01/2021 23:00:27

Hello David, and welcome to the forum. There will be some experts along presently, I expect.

I’ll give this a ‘bump’ for you.

There are four pages of info on the lathesdotco website, so seem to be a long-lived model - perhaps in several guises? Most certainly a good design/machine.

Perhaps some detail of what you actually need would be good. Pics? There are firms that will cut gears - but they can be pricey. HPC Gears is one option. I doubt many have spare gears ‘knocking about’.

If your machine is running, it might be easier/better to set up and make your own?

Thread: Telescopic Bore Gauges
18/01/2021 21:47:59

I want to buy a set of Telescopic Bore Gauges.

‘I want’ or ‘I need’? I bought a set from Arc, but they are actually rarely used.

I make so few holes of any specific diameter that I could quite easily do without them. I reckon drill shanks for go-no go are often close enough or make a go - no go with a piece of scrap (or re-usable bar). If it was important, I would change the chuck (to the smallest I have) and turn a piece to the required size, then change chuck's back again.

I rarely finish-bore holes to size. Drilled, bored and reamed is generally a better way to go, I reckon (or just make a nominally sized hole and make the shaft to fit...). Most certainly I would not trust them for a shrink fit. I do have a micrometer type of bore gauges (used for checking engine bores for ovality).

At the time ( think) I bought a set of transfer punches - another item I used to happily get by without. They don’t get used often but they get more use than the bore gauges.

For a while, I have thought I might like a spin indexer. Saw a second hand one on epay recently. Watched it and it sold for more than an identical brand new one. I had decided I didn’t really need one (especially not one costing more than a new item🙂 ).

The apparent ‘easy way’ is not always the best - especially done on the cheap!

Thread: Lathe Tool Height
18/01/2021 12:46:17

I’ve used dead hacksaw blades in the past. Teeth stick out for narrow cutters, but easy enough to remove them first.

Thread: The demise of UK fossil fuel Power Stations
18/01/2021 10:17:24

Agreed, watching that development with interest. If they could use Thorium, it would be better...

Aussies are installing a huge battery storage system at a coal-fired power station - ready to operate at full power when the power station closes down its coal generation. Nearly a third of the size of Dinorwig in energy storage. Could be used for grid stability or deliver 750MW for 4 hours.

Thread: Benchtop lathe with power cross feed, looking to buy
18/01/2021 09:59:37

I think your order of replacement is the wrong way round. You have a lathe so have plenty of time to cast around for a replacement before selling yours.

I looked around for several months before finding a good replacement when I decided I would ‘like’ to change from my Raglan Little John to the improved 5” model.

While it does now sit on a stand, it was on a bench when I bought it. 5” centre height, decent between centres size, variable speed (between min and max) at full power, QCGB options, power feeds on both axes, delightful auto feed trip on the long-travel, separate power feed shaft. It will see me out. Far better value for money than most myfords, IMO.

Thread: Communication
18/01/2021 09:39:58

We have a lidl wireless door bell/light as a ‘you are wanted’ system. The sounder/flasher runs off three or four AA cells so not a too difficult task to run it from a wall-wart or similar (connected to the workshop light switch, maybe?).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest