By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for a block of cast iron please
17/04/2021 14:25:48

I find it of great utility to read all of the words actually written in the original post rather than to omit or imagine some.

True, but you might say I should not have used my imagination? We all read too quickly, or not deeply enough, at times.

Thread: Stop ended Tee slot in Meehanite
17/04/2021 12:47:35

A couple of pieces of rebated steel strip, screwed to piece of suitably sized flat bar would suffice? No need for any precision and a good ‘lead-in’ might be advantageous?

I like the KISS principle.🙂

Thread: Trademark Infringements
17/04/2021 08:31:27

If Hoover only received a penny for every time someone described their different make of vacuum cleaner incorrectly, profits would soar.🙂

Edited By not done it yet on 17/04/2021 08:32:21

Thread: Looking for a block of cast iron please
16/04/2021 22:05:27

Why cast iron? Most tool posts are steel?

Thread: Drunken pulley
15/04/2021 21:06:22

Pulley is not from lathe. Just 50 years old pump. There is a belt guard so it would not be seen while working. Still very annoying.

Been in use 50 years? How long does the belt last (or how long has it lasted)? You are suddenly starting to worry about it?

Power and belt section might be important factors to consider - presumably it is not a thick section and very low power? Leave well enough alone. It’s not broke so don’t need fixing. Put the guard back over, where it was, and carry on.

Thread: Plumbing mystery
15/04/2021 20:54:08

Was your house built in days when it was a sink and an enamelled cast iron bath stood on feet?

Thread: Swarf:
15/04/2021 13:04:09

Hi,

Likely better to contact your nearest model engineering society, for local supples.

Thread: Myford 254 Plus toolpost type
15/04/2021 07:14:37

Are your VME mill and Kennet grinder not able to be used for making one? GHT’s plans are cheaper than a kit - but not by that much, I suppose, when materials need to be sourced from several different vendors.

Thread: BSP tap needed
15/04/2021 06:50:14
Posted by Hopper on 14/04/2021 23:28:37

You need to look at the fitting you want to screw into the tapped hole. If the male thread on the fitting is tapered, you will need BSPT tap. (T for tapered.) Most ordinary black or galv pipe fittings will be the tapered thread, put together with thread tape or sealant.

If it is not an arduous duty, make a flat as use a parallel thread plus a sealing washer?

Thread: Newbie: Can you buy a "desktop CNC Milling machine" for cutting steel?
15/04/2021 06:45:55

Have you enquired to that company? It will likely cut steel - but (much) more slowly and perhaps not for as long. It does say ‘optimised’.

Thread: An odd ball
15/04/2021 06:36:47

It won’t be a reed switch if it is not magnetic - so we can discount that as the transducer.

Metal detector? Hall effect is basically a ‘magnetic disturbance?

Maybe a magnet in the shaver?

Ooh, perhaps there is a tiny radioactive gamma source, which is attenuated when a steel ball is interposed - that would be an electromagnetic wave.🙂 Could even be a radio wave?

Maybe a simple valve operated by a solenoid, to act as a metering system?

Possibly a little metal detector in there, somewhere?

Search the internet for a source of information on how they make it? Probably some little well-hidden patent listed?

Or just forget it and carry on with life?

Edited By not done it yet on 15/04/2021 06:37:10

Thread: Covid
14/04/2021 22:53:09

We should receive our second dose this month. I watch the daily corona virus reports - but treat them with the caution they deserve.

The daily reports tell us how many areas are showing rising cases - without any relation to common sense. If an area shows the smallest insignificant rise, it is reported among those headline claims. Rates are often reported to 3 decimal places which is, frankly, ridiculous. Significance, expected variance in results and plain luck can make individual results meaningless. What we need is the trends over longer periods than just a day or week.

If the case numbers were high, but levelled out, I would expect nearly 50% rising and about the same amount falling. Today the headline report on aol was of ‘ covid cases still rising in 40 local areas in England. Totally meaningless and misleading.

If the case rates are very low and level, I might expect many more areas remaining constant, but the risers and fallers changing by perhaps only a few points.

Further, the vaunted ‘R’ value is shown to be fairly useless - except for headlines. If cases are high or low, the ‘R’ value can be exactly the same but mean greatly differing infection rates in new numbers of infections per 100,000 of the population. The ‘R’ rate can jump considerably with the odd extra one or two infections in a low infection area - possibly just a hiccup in reporting some cases within the wrong time frame.

Lies, damn lies and statistics is the thing to watch for, with media reports.

Thread: BSP tap needed
14/04/2021 18:41:56

You could make a flat on the pipe, weld on a suitable fitting and drill through?

Thread: Myford 254 Plus toolpost type
14/04/2021 08:21:17

Hello Dave,

The 254 lathes appeared to be very much based on the Raglan marque, which myford bought out (and promptly closed down). More modern improvements included an enclosed gearbox with immersion lubrication in both gearbox and apron, so more modern (and easy) operation.

The ‘plus’ lathe had a very slightly larger centre height than the Raglans and a more powerful drive motor. The earlier versions were slightly smaller.

There is plenty of info on the lathesdotco website. A good choice IMO. I’m sure you will find it far, far better than the ML, but expect there may be some downsides compared with the Bantam.

I did (fleetingly) consider the 254 as an alternative when I decided to up-grade my LJ. The 5” choice was a no brainer, for me - same reliable layout as the LJ and a lot cheaper (and much easier to find).🙂. You will not be disappointed, I think.

Thread: Lathe DRO
13/04/2021 11:08:47

My 60 year-old lathe has a long travel auto-trip.

With the same depth of cut, feed rate and spindle speed it is generally good to 0.05mm, or better, consistently. Good enough for me.

It gets used a lot as it removes all the guesswork of stopping the carriage when close to the end of the cut - particularly when cutting close to the chuck.

Edited By not done it yet on 13/04/2021 11:09:45

Thread: Help from the collective wisdom re ME 32 &40 TPI on a Myford 254S
13/04/2021 07:36:37

What an attitude. Clearly they don’t care about their customer base! I’m surprised they get return customers for any of their lathe parts for any of their lathes, etc, if they treat their customers like that.

However there is usually two sides to a story. I await an alternative recollection of your conversation with myford UK.

At the same time, the 254 was designed and produced much later than the rest of their products (the whole ‘ML’ series). Everything since is simply sourced from outside manufacturers, I expect. The new ‘myford’ is (I assume) a completely new company simply rebadged with a well known company name that went down the drain years ago. A bit like some of the car marques, such as MG?

Thread: Lathe DRO
13/04/2021 07:21:46

Are you trying to suggest the long travel has no power feed on your lathe?

My 60 year old lathe has power feed on both long and cross travel - as little as 0.01mm per spindle revolution. The carriage and cross slides are the only guaranteed way to cut parallel and perpendicular to the lathe axis unless the compound is set very precisely every time you change from facing to long travel cutting.

Further, the distance one can cut with a compound is very much restricted. My lathe has 610mm between centres but only about 75mm travel on the compound slide. That alone would make turning hard work.

People mostly use the carriage handwheel to fast-traverse the cutter, I would think. I do.

Thread: 24mm end mill for 16mm collet?
12/04/2021 15:36:33

With your machine in its current state of fettle, motor-wise, I would suggest the boring route is likely the favoured plan. How much undersized are the holes? If substantial, the blacksmiths drill may not do you motor brushgear much good, btw.

Thread: Bandsaw - wood and metal ?
11/04/2021 19:35:30

I have a horizontal, metal-cutting bandsaw. The frame can be positioned in the vertical position, so I have made up a frame, with horizontal table, which is held in place by the vise. It needs extra vertical support, for the table, in this mode.

I doubt it would cope with timber cuts as well as a vertical startrite, but that is not required as I have access to a wood sawing bandsaw. The vertical startrite (for timber) that I used a long time ago was often used for cutting curves (with narrow blades). This may be an issue.

As JH says, Stakesys is a good website to check out. They actually show a lightweight table kit for the 782XL saw @ £85. The 782XL will cut 100 x 85mm ‘rectangular section’ (they quote 95mm square).

Thread: Lathe drive motor
11/04/2021 13:43:55

It most certainly does. My honey extractor has a motor of that type. The control on that has such a range that it is able to reverse the motor, too.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest