By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for not done it yet

Here is a list of all the postings not done it yet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unknown Changewheels
05/07/2020 18:07:37

Raglan also used 14DP and 5/8” bore. If original, I would expect them to have part numbers embossed on the casting.

Thread: Lockdown Reading - Nevil Shute Rediscovered
05/07/2020 17:57:20

I have enjoyed all his novels I have so far read. On The Beach may be a bit over-powering for the squeamish/worriers amongst us but I think that if he were alive today he might be writing a novel on similar lines - while referring to climate change instead of the still ongoing risk of nuclear armageddon.

Currently reading Slide Rule.

Thread: Unknown Changewheels
05/07/2020 14:37:45

DP, axle size, pin size and radius might be good for identification or ‘removal from the equation’.

Thread: We need Pi
05/07/2020 14:32:47

I often use 22/7 as it is easy enough to do many calcs in my head. I haver never smoked so ‘back of a fag packet’ was rarely an option.

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
05/07/2020 11:51:14

Gary,

I am more interested in how they made the gold tube. Was it simply iron wire dipped in melted gold - a bit like making candles?

We reclaimed 3.6kg of Au from, I think, over a tonne of turbine scrap by dissolving away the base metals, before dissolving the gold and recovering by sulphiting the solution. Holding a 3.6kg cone of 99.99% gold and flattening the point by (quite gently) dropping the cone, on a flat surface, was quite satisfying after months of time spent on the job.

Thread: We need Pi
05/07/2020 11:25:19

22/7 is often close enough for me. Mosttimes it is easier to accept the value than derive it - unless you like to be a mathematician.

A bit like working out why ‘mosttimes’ is usually two words but ‘sometimes’ is generally one word.🙂

Thread: 63-tooth change wheel for Portass PD5
05/07/2020 11:13:44
Posted by DC31k on 04/07/2020 21:22:43:
Posted by Brian Oldford on 04/07/2020 20:04:34:
...whereas it's 94% for Mod 1.5.

Would you care to reconsider your suggestion of a metric gear specification in the light of the following, courtesy of lathes.co.uk:

"Portass lathes date from the very early 1920s and were first badged as being made in the west of Sheffield "?

For clarity, I have greater than 94% confidence that it is Sheffield, UK.

If you find it necessary to use an internet calculator to find/check the DP of a gear, do find a decent one.

By simple calculation, the DP works out to 15.98 - very close to 100% confidence that it is 16DP. From my simple calculation that should be clear there is no chance of it ever being 12DP!

Just using 67/4 (calculated by a very complex series of neural operations within my head, in less time than it takes to read it) gives me 16.75 and it is clearly slightly less than that.

Thread: Broken drill bit in hole
04/07/2020 18:41:34

Just 5 posts above yours?

Took some time to dissolve, needed as concentrated a solution as practical and required to be kept very close or at boiling point for any decent reaction rate.

Thread: clarke cl500 improvements
04/07/2020 07:33:08

Three tenths with a three jaw is indeed pretty good!

Cutting concentrically with a 3-jaw is clearly no problem - as long as one does not remove and replace the work-piece.

Mine was likely more like 5 thous, but so much that I never actually measured it. Re-chucking a part was simply out of the question, unless dims were unimportant (most of my parts were of that type 🙂 ). I don’t think I ever needed to get near to three tenths on anything I made.

Back then, the 4 jaw did not get much use. These days I use a 4 jaw more often than a 3 jaw.

Thread: Hand Planer on ebay
02/07/2020 21:33:24

Fetched just over £360

Thread: Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?
02/07/2020 10:01:44

It is easy to discount a machine that is ‘out of stock’. Possibly the next consignment may be more expensive? That may apply to the Axminster 2.7.

Maybe compare with Arceurotrade equivalent? Actual specifications may be different.

I note the new WM14 has a wider table, so likely needs almost 1000mm for easy full x axis travel (330mm). Width of machine is given as 600mm, then there is table travel and hand space.

Is your workshop a walk-through corridor or could you be better placing the mill at the end?

Thread: clarke cl500 improvements
01/07/2020 17:31:26

I made one vast improvement with mine, some time ago - I ‘put it out to grass’ and replaced it with a Raglan Little John.🙂

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 17:24:43

Thing that struck me, when I read the thread title, was whether it was for ‘expert engineers‘ or ‘tool box experts’. Most seem to have mixed up ‘box’ with ‘cabinet‘, in my book.🙂

Thread: micro switch
01/07/2020 17:14:13
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/07/2020 15:28:12:
Posted by not done it yet on 01/07/2020 14:12:39:
Have you seen the insulation resistance of those things!

Insulation resistance (new condition)
> 100 MOhm (500 V DC)

Try again, you clearly didn’t read the link. Probably as usual, when it suits you. Here is what it actually says, just for you.

“They have a contact resistance of <100 mΩ and an insulation resistance of >100 mΩ. “

In my book, that is a mega small resistance.😆

01/07/2020 14:12:39
Posted by Brian G on 01/07/2020 12:39:37:

Marquardt 1010 series. Out of stock at RS though Marquardt

Google image search for 1010 microswitch brings up plenty of them

Brian G

Little wonder they discontinued them. Have you seen the insulation resistance of those things!

Thread: Thread identification
01/07/2020 06:39:51

I was never bothered by those screws. The local Honda emporium used an impact screwdriver but I found (for most screws) a tap, with a flat punch, on the side of the screw head allowed easy removal. Some countersunk screws (on the contact points and oil ‘filter’ covers?) remained a problem, for first removal, as I recall, but not when once removed.

Some of my screws did show that treatment after several removals but the surface treatment was good and the only evidence of removal was a small flat on the side of the screw head at most.

Likely a proper tool - a shaped brass drift - would have been better and would likely not have left any marks at all, but my solution was improvised by a teenaged non-engineer back in the 1960s. Steel hammer and punch were the tools available.

Edited By JasonB on 01/07/2020 06:57:48

Thread: Used lathe advice needed on oil and things
30/06/2020 16:59:49

Is there a manual with/for it? Maybe one for a different supplier’s ‘clone’ might be available, if not?

Thread: Govenor drive belts
30/06/2020 12:18:07

Have nothing to suggest except ask if these are the same as, or similar to, the springs use in oil seals?

Thread: Yipee the F1 is back on
29/06/2020 19:13:52

F1 ON THE RADIO ???? Crikey it is not exactly football is it (not that I would watch/listen to that either) But on the radio!! What do you do? listen to the Vroom vroom as they wizz past??devil Do they sound different to an enthusiast?

You clearly missed the point of my post. It was made specifically to highlight the irrational assumption that everyone without a gogglebox (and square eyes?) would have zero interest in F1. One can be interested and certainly don’t need a gogglebox to qualify for the privilege. Same goes for any- and every-thing else.

Goggleboxes, IMO, are not a requirement for anything other than a wasting time or watching repeats - apart from a few progs for fanatics, some of whom make ungrounded assumptions about all those that don’t waste their time with them. DO gGo and enjoy your eastenders, coronation street or whatever, but don’t paint everyone else as uninterested in everything that happens to be broadcast.

Thread: WM250 Sticky Carriage
29/06/2020 07:34:51

The pinion gear should be properly centred. Shifting the rack is not a proper repair - the correction should be to fit either a concentric gear or a straight shaft, whichever may be at fault.

Stoning may be acceptable to remove burs. Files should be kept well away from machined surfaces such as this (unless the bed is harder than the file).

If the machine is new and under warranty, consult the supplier, not start making potentially damaging bodges. If it is a second hand purchase, I would suspect the pinion shaft has been bent, especially if those tight spots are evenly distanced along the bed.

Clearly more detailed info from the OP might have helped provide more accurate/precise responses.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest