By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is this the right place for me?
31/07/2018 18:56:21

Friendliest and most helpful forum on tinterweb, welcome aboard.

Thread: Chester DB10 thread cutting ???
30/07/2018 21:48:17

I am so impressed at the fantastic help I have received. I have just made a few more cuts leaving the halfnuts engaged, I tested first how quickly the carriage stops when the stop button is pressed and it's almost instant.

Result, now cutting a decent thread with the half nut constantly engaged.

Thank you so much to so many for sorting this out for me, I am very grateful.

Ian

30/07/2018 20:04:37

Jason your right, I have been using the feed leverembarrassed. I used the halfnut engage lever the first time and the meshing was so bad I assumed I had got it wrong Doh...

Using the half nut lever does indeed produce what looks like 14 tpi, give or take. However the lathe slows down and even stalls occasionally, even with a pretty light cut. I have been using the slowest speed available and would like to keep the half nuts engaged as they really do seem very agricultural when engaging at the start of each cut.

So this problem was caused by the most commonly known fault, the user, my sincere apologies to everyone who has tried to work out what was going on. Also I am most grateful to everyone that offered help and advice throughout the whole of the thread (pun intended).

Ian embarrassed

30/07/2018 19:26:39

Les with the gear box in position 1, 1 revolution of 40 tooth produces one full revolution of the leadscrew, however 5 full turns of the 40 tooth gear produces aprox 2 1/2 (2.5) revolutions of the leadscrew.

I have taken another pass and the pitch is now easier to measure and comes out at 0.8mm giving if I am right about 32 tpi?

30/07/2018 19:07:59

Hi Martin, the photo is showing the old gearing but the writing is correct, Les your maths is spot on, the 40 tooth is doing 3 revolutions to every 2 revolutions of the chuck.

30/07/2018 18:39:26

Les, one full revolution of the chuck turns the 120 tooth gear 1/2 a revolution, so yes two full revolutions of the chuck, will rotate the 120 gear a full revolution. More information to come shortly.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 30/07/2018 18:47:43

30/07/2018 18:29:18

Hi,

Yes the photo is the original photo, but I have edited it to show the current arrangement.

Howard, sadly I can't replace anything with a 127 tooth gear as I don't have one, the gears that I do have are listed much earlier on in the thread.

I will try to get another photo showing the arrangement but be aware that the 120 tooth gear will mask the 80 tooth gear.

Thanks again to everyone trying to help me with this issue.

Ian

29/07/2018 22:12:45

Aagghhhh I think something is wrong here, I have a tumbler driving a 70T, driving a 80T with a 120T on the same shaft (a) driving the 40T on the feed screw gear box (b), I have selected position 9 on the gear box and a scratch test shows about 24/25 tpi.

Is there something obvious I am missing or is it possible that the label stuck on the machine is the wrong one. Right now any ideas are very welcome.

Please see diagram below showing the number of teeth on that given position.,

Thanks, Ian

new gear set.jpg

Thread: Tangential Tool holder
29/07/2018 17:38:07

Thor and Vic thank you, very interesting. The actual item is not like the image I had in mind and looks very simple with muliple uses.

Thank you.

Ian

29/07/2018 16:56:51

I have seen tagential tool holders mentioned several times recently, can I ask exactly what is a tangential tool holder, where do you get them from what are the advantages/disadvantages of using one?

28/07/2018 22:12:42

Managed to spot the mistake, I need the gearbox selector in position 9, not 1, doh.....

28/07/2018 21:52:02
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 28/07/2018 18:50:59:

Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 28/07/2018 17:44:15:

... I could buy a metal 127 tooth wheel of ebay ...

Ian,

With apologies if I have missed it ... Have you checked what diameter [and width] of '127' would fit in the space available?

I have a large steel '127' which I was keeping for one of those infamous future projects ... but if it's a suitable size, perhaps we could agree a price.

MichaelG.

Hi Michael,

The 120 tooth gear that came supplied does fit, but only just, it's a fiddle to get it on. Having said that, I think I have got it wrong. I have cut a test thread (external) and am getting about 22 tpi. I have uploaded a photo showing the new gearing. Red gears unchanged, other gears shown and numbered, any ideas what have I got wrong?

Thanks,

Ian

new db 10 gears.jpg

Thread: Bantam lathe chuck
28/07/2018 17:47:36

Well sorted Ian, any links to the chuck that you bought in case others need to go down the same route?

28/07/2018 17:44:15

Hi Howard,

your point is very valid, I could buy a metal 127 tooth wheel of ebay (is it ok to mention it by name?), if the exact spindle bore size is not available I would prefer one that is smaller and then bore it out and add a key way, I don't fancy making a bush of maybe 1/32" or whatever but could do so if really needed.

Thread: Mike George
28/07/2018 16:53:22

I don't know Mike, or even had any dealings with him, but it sounds like a sad loss for all of us using this great forum. RIP Mike.

26/07/2018 19:49:16

Well teeth counted, 120 as first thought, I have ground the six down and I think it has been stamped twice, once with a 6 and then again with a 0 ?

I will try the 120 to 40 gearing a go. Thanks again.

Ian

26/07/2018 19:21:26

Les and Martin thank you, I will count the teeth on that gear and let you know the outcome but now cleaned up, it is definitely stamped 126, strange I agree, but with chinese machinery, who knows ?

25/07/2018 21:42:16

Am I right in thinking that if I put the 126 tooth wheel on 'A' and the 70 tooth wheel on 'B' I can cut a thread with 1.8 pitch, which is very close to the 1.82 required?

If not, I have got something wrong in my understanding of the ratios and this is also quite likely !

25/07/2018 20:18:18

This is the back end of my DB10,

db 10 gears.jpg

25/07/2018 19:50:33

Hi Jason, Hi Michael,

Yes I have downloaded the chart for gear ratios and that will be very useful ( Thank you Martin ). Well for now I have decided that the lathe stays as it is good in all other respects.

I do have a 3d printer and could give printing a gear a good go, as mentioned by Jason I could possibly reduce the od slightly and still acheive good meshing.

I have also decided to buy a set of 5/8 bsp taps from tracy tools to do the immediate job in hand.

Finally I have to say that I am extremely impressed at the fantastic help offered from forum members and hope that I will be in a position to help others out at some point.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest