By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sieving
21/03/2020 21:08:15

I think I have a lot in common with Duncan, I can make so many different flavours with ease. Mainly because I have tried and got the same results as Neil.

Thread: Proxon KS230 splitter blade jams
20/03/2020 21:37:51

From my days of using a bench mounted wadkin circular saw, the riving knife had to be ridgid and set close to the back edge of the blade, a little thinner than the cut being produced was ok so long as it wasn't much and the two faces either side of the new cut could not come together and throw the work back out at you !

Thread: Sound recording
20/03/2020 21:27:52

Some good advice there, I will look at both of the options mentioned. If I can record it at roughly the level I can here it then I can present a case and get the problem sorted.

Many thanks for the help,

Ian

Thread: Do your bit and help each other
20/03/2020 20:29:31

Hopefully we will all come out the other side of this horrible situation in good health. I am doing ok and I am happy to help others where possible.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 20/03/2020 20:30:02

Thread: A sight for sore eyes
19/03/2020 20:35:30

try this

Thread: New lathe
09/03/2020 18:38:21

I have a three year old Chester DB10 which is a very similar spec to the Warco VM250v, About five months ago I came across a very old Boxford for sale locally, after checking it out I bought it and moved it into my workshop, I would say that I now do about 99% of my work on the Boxford, I can't explain why if I am completely honest, it's just more reassuring in use. I have to fanny around changing belts to get the spindle speed I want or the nearest one to the one that I want, where as with the Chester I would just twiddle the knob to the desired speed, also the Chester has a QCTP which I fitted about two years ago, the Boxford requires me to pack tools the the correct height, despite all this I prefer the Boxford. For what it's worth the accuracy is the same, but it took a lot of messing about to get the Chester to cut accurately.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
25/02/2020 19:02:33

Looks excellent Duncan, hope it works well for you.

Thread: Help Needed to Identify This 5 Cylinder Radial Engine
20/02/2020 21:02:37

A lovely engine Alastair, thank you Jason for adding it into the thread.

Thread: camlock back plate
18/02/2020 20:23:15

Nicely done.

Thread: mystery file
15/02/2020 20:42:13

I used em years ago on lead loaded car bodies, they were known as dreadnoughts but not sure if that's a reference to the make or type. As mentioned, they do make a mess of your fingers if the file stops quickly and you don't.

Thread: High blood pressure !
29/01/2020 21:27:48

I am a mere 62 years old but seen more than my fair share of drama's, thankfully I have come through everything ok. For the last 8 years I have had irregular heart beats, it has gradually got worse so about 6 months ago I went back to the GP, he said I was in normal sinus but my BP was a little high, I explained that I have already been told that I have paroxysmal AF, he didn't believe me so looked through my notes, Oh yes he said, we will get you on a monitor again.

That showed that my heart rate can be between 31 and 242 beats per minute. Having already been on a couple of different tablets which failed to stop this happening I was sent to see a top cardiac consultant. He looked at various graphs and said that my sinus node was firing off every where and I would probably need open heart surgery rather than catheter ablation, he then went on to explain some of the risks with what I had and what he was going to do.

I decided against the surgery as the odds on it being successful were at best 70%, but several big risks and lots of minor risks that would be life changing, his final summary was, 'lets see you again when your 65, at least you won't have to worry about going to work then'. So I just hope it get's no worse and maybe have a better outlook at 65.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 21:34:28
Posted by Mike Poole on 27/01/2020 21:17:51:

Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

Mike

Hahaha Monty Python I think?

I have had some tremendous help from forum members and in all that time only one or two posts that were condescending. I think if I were going to state an opinion I would make it clear from the start that it was just my opinion and others may well disagree with it. Hopefully members will continue to offer advice, support, help and ideas and keep the forum's spirit alive and kicking.

Thread: I wish mine was like that!
24/01/2020 20:57:55

I remember many, many years ago teenagers with old banger's used to fit CB radios, they were all dead clever and used secret codes such as 'Brown Bottles' meaning beer, or 'square wheels' meaning parked up there were a lot more of these very clever codes in use and all providing a great laugh to the cop that was monitoring the channels for more serious activity taking place on the radios. Usually the criminals using CB didn't use any coding at all.

Thread: Dementia
20/01/2020 17:34:09

Sorry to hear of your sad position 34046. I work in health care and as far as I know there are several different types of dementia but sadly none of them are preferable to any of the other types of dementia. As far as I know there is no way of predicting or preventing these conditions, although long term exposure to head trauma (even very mild) is thought to be one cause. I think some medications can slow down the progress in the earlier stages but it really is a horrible illness to witness.

Thread: Arc Euro Trade website down
19/01/2020 21:23:50

Thanks for the heads up ketan.

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
17/01/2020 22:25:38

Have to admit that I haven't got a clue about nebula this and that or ha filters but just looking at the photos makes me think about the scale of everything, if I look up at home I can only see a few stars, so to see just how many stars are out there is mind numbing, by the way, please don't correct me about what are stars and what are other things, I just like there beauty and can live happily not knowing the difference.

Great thought producing photos Neil.

16/01/2020 10:57:01
Posted by Steviegtr on 15/01/2020 23:23:01:

There is a saying . Fight fire with fire. I had the same problem in a terrace house. The bedroom backing on to mine was a young girl with a boyfriend. Yes you guessed. Humping till 3 & 4 am. I complained to the parents & got nowhere. So I set up my hi fi. With the sub up against the wall. When I was ready to go out I set a high base song on a repeat & switched the system on. It was not loud but the base was insane. Strangely the noises stopped. Just wait until they are asleep & give it to them. They will soon stop.

Yes sadly I am beginning to think that might be my best option, if only it was humping, the younger of the two can clearly be heard ranting and shouting then banging the door closed repeatedly for over ten minutes at a time, then maybe again a couple of hours later and now that is nearly every night so I do need to stop it. Might be quicker and even cheaper to upgrade my h fi system.

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Chinese DRO opinions
16/01/2020 10:46:12
Posted by Bill Phinn on 15/01/2020 23:25:25:
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 15/01/2020 23:18:48:

Seems a bit of a coincidence that his recent feedback is not available !

Most recent feedback is 13/1/20. I see 49 feedbacks for the last month.

Just checked and now I can see the feedback, don't know why it didn't have that available earlier. Of no concern but it does say the seller is based in China on the feedback page.

15/01/2020 23:18:48

Seems a bit of a coincidence that his recent feedback is not available !

15/01/2020 23:13:06

Wow thank you for the help, this is the scenario,

My new neighbours (well about 5 years ) have got worse and worse in terms of their behaviour, as I live in a (semi-detached bungalow) the noise levels travel pretty easily and are now beyond a joke. Neither of them work and they have drifted into a pattern whereby they are up until about 05:00 and then sleeping until afternoon. As I work shifts often starting at 07:00 sometimes finishing as late as 21:00 I do need to get four or five hours sleep and this is now not possible as they argue endlessly and then one of the ladies slams a door shut repeatedly for up to about 15 minutes at a time then they start again a few hours later.

I have been told that I need to capture some evidence of this behaviour showing the times and recording the noise, which is loud enough to wake me up every time, so I used the video which has no tape. The image shows the tiem on the alarm clock but even going into the living room where the sound levels are make you jump, it barely captures the sound, there is an external microphone input socket but I wouldn't know which microphone type/make etc to buy.

So I will check out the ideas mentioned and see what looks liek the best way forward.

Once again many thanks,

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest