By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free to a good home
25/03/2020 18:58:35

Ahh ok, for some reason I thought the tubes inside the boiler ran along the length.

25/03/2020 18:28:51

Hi,

Some time back I came by some bits and bobs from the good lady of a model engineer no longer with us. I have what I believe to be parts for a boiler(s) and as I can't see me ever making use of them for the intended purpose I thought maybe someone on here could.

So boiler 1 is, 105.6mm OD x 114mm long and has a 28mm hole in it.Also there are two end caps which would need squeezing into the internal diameter.

boiler 2 is, 76.8mm OD x 147mm long and has three holes in it 22mm, 11.2mm and 8.8mm

boiler 3 is, 57mm OD 147 long and has a 27.7mm hole in it.

First pipe is 31.8mm OD and about 250mm long, second pipe is 28mm OD and aprox 200mm long.

If interested all of the above free but will have to be collected from Crewe in Cheshire. Maybe someone could tell me what the spiral or helix pattern of spot holes are for Note, they are only marked and not drilled to any depth.

Thanks,

Ian

bolier.jpg

Thread: Resin 3D Printer first results.
24/03/2020 13:05:28
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/03/2020 12:39:55:
Posted by Ed Duffner on 24/03/2020 01:20:52:

Actually, they're meant to be bolts Bazyle. laugh Some of them came out ok.

So ... What thread are they devil

MichaelG.

Very quick, I like that laugh

Thread: Coronavirus
22/03/2020 20:35:22

My chance of survival might get seriously tested soon, I work full time in our local hospital and also part time as a policeman, whatever the out come I hope the morons out there grasp how serious the situation is before it's too late

Thread: vfd question
22/03/2020 20:16:38

@Neil, I must admit that I am slowly replacing any terminal strip I find at home with wago connectors, it's a hit in term of costs but piece of mind and all that.

22/03/2020 20:14:57

Without wishing to offend anyone, could someone post in a link to what they consider an equivalent spec VFD but of better quality. Reason being I may go down that route if any of my current motors fail and it would be good to see the difference in costs.

22/03/2020 16:29:23
Posted by Martin of Wick on 22/03/2020 15:52:12:

Indeed, in that case we are agreed...

...VFDs in general are relatively high risk devices that need to be installed and used with considerable care.

A fact that no one would dispute...

I think it's also fair to say that some of these devices are not that simple to configure even for the none idiots. It would seem that some come with more useful information on configuring them than others and maybe this is reflected in pricing?

Thread: Measuring size for vee belts
21/03/2020 21:20:17

Sorry if I have missed it in the previous posts but if you say which belts for which machine, it might be that someone on here has the information you want ?

Thread: Lathe levelling
21/03/2020 21:15:11

Whilst chasing out the last thou of taper on my Chester I discovered that even a very slight twist in the bed would result in waisting of the test piece. It was only a thou an a arf out but definitely the same dimension at both ends and slightly thinner in the middle of the cut. Thinking it through logically twisting will raise or lower the tool height at the stock end of the work, then as it travels along the cut it will dive or climb depending on the twist and be back on dead centre in the middle and thus remove the most material. It meant having to start all over again and shim the head to get rid of the very, very slight nod in the headstock.

Thread: Sieving
21/03/2020 21:08:15

I think I have a lot in common with Duncan, I can make so many different flavours with ease. Mainly because I have tried and got the same results as Neil.

Thread: Proxon KS230 splitter blade jams
20/03/2020 21:37:51

From my days of using a bench mounted wadkin circular saw, the riving knife had to be ridgid and set close to the back edge of the blade, a little thinner than the cut being produced was ok so long as it wasn't much and the two faces either side of the new cut could not come together and throw the work back out at you !

Thread: Sound recording
20/03/2020 21:27:52

Some good advice there, I will look at both of the options mentioned. If I can record it at roughly the level I can here it then I can present a case and get the problem sorted.

Many thanks for the help,

Ian

Thread: Do your bit and help each other
20/03/2020 20:29:31

Hopefully we will all come out the other side of this horrible situation in good health. I am doing ok and I am happy to help others where possible.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 20/03/2020 20:30:02

Thread: A sight for sore eyes
19/03/2020 20:35:30

try this

Thread: New lathe
09/03/2020 18:38:21

I have a three year old Chester DB10 which is a very similar spec to the Warco VM250v, About five months ago I came across a very old Boxford for sale locally, after checking it out I bought it and moved it into my workshop, I would say that I now do about 99% of my work on the Boxford, I can't explain why if I am completely honest, it's just more reassuring in use. I have to fanny around changing belts to get the spindle speed I want or the nearest one to the one that I want, where as with the Chester I would just twiddle the knob to the desired speed, also the Chester has a QCTP which I fitted about two years ago, the Boxford requires me to pack tools the the correct height, despite all this I prefer the Boxford. For what it's worth the accuracy is the same, but it took a lot of messing about to get the Chester to cut accurately.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
25/02/2020 19:02:33

Looks excellent Duncan, hope it works well for you.

Thread: Help Needed to Identify This 5 Cylinder Radial Engine
20/02/2020 21:02:37

A lovely engine Alastair, thank you Jason for adding it into the thread.

Thread: camlock back plate
18/02/2020 20:23:15

Nicely done.

Thread: mystery file
15/02/2020 20:42:13

I used em years ago on lead loaded car bodies, they were known as dreadnoughts but not sure if that's a reference to the make or type. As mentioned, they do make a mess of your fingers if the file stops quickly and you don't.

Thread: High blood pressure !
29/01/2020 21:27:48

I am a mere 62 years old but seen more than my fair share of drama's, thankfully I have come through everything ok. For the last 8 years I have had irregular heart beats, it has gradually got worse so about 6 months ago I went back to the GP, he said I was in normal sinus but my BP was a little high, I explained that I have already been told that I have paroxysmal AF, he didn't believe me so looked through my notes, Oh yes he said, we will get you on a monitor again.

That showed that my heart rate can be between 31 and 242 beats per minute. Having already been on a couple of different tablets which failed to stop this happening I was sent to see a top cardiac consultant. He looked at various graphs and said that my sinus node was firing off every where and I would probably need open heart surgery rather than catheter ablation, he then went on to explain some of the risks with what I had and what he was going to do.

I decided against the surgery as the odds on it being successful were at best 70%, but several big risks and lots of minor risks that would be life changing, his final summary was, 'lets see you again when your 65, at least you won't have to worry about going to work then'. So I just hope it get's no worse and maybe have a better outlook at 65.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest