By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ebay chuckle
12/06/2017 16:38:28

Ooops I ment 'check'.

12/06/2017 16:37:44

Neil, I believe I now have drill envey.

I just checked my original post, glad to see I wasn't actually slagging off all chinese machines, just mine.I guess it's easy to mis-interpret what I actually said.

So yes my drill is pretty dire, but it has managed to get by, helped by supporting the table from underneath, as it bends slightly even under the weight of a light vice, the noise has been there from day one, not sure exactly where it is coming from but sounds like the bush that the idle wheel is mounted in. Too be honest I was thinking of stripping and renovating it but there is so much play in the quill I doubt it would be worth doing.

Chesk this out,

drill 3.jpg

drill 4.jpg

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 12/06/2017 16:41:43

11/06/2017 19:47:46

If it can't speak it can't lie, note, this is finger pressure!

drill one.jpg

drill two.jpg

11/06/2017 19:29:42
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 10/06/2017 09:01:10:

The thing about cheap Chinese machine tools that has interested me most is the amazing polarity of the buyers....on the one hand there are those who love to repeat how bad this rubbish is because it's so badly made compared to Myford and how any half accurate work is completely impossible to achieve....ad infinitum...

The cheap drilling machine given to me , is not great, has had lots of use by x number of previous owners. Being Chinese doesn't mean that all the machinery is the same, just that they were all made in China.

On the other side are those who are quietly turning out the most amazing work while acknowledging their low initial expectations and their pleasure in discovering that you don't indeed, always get what you pay for!....sometimes you get a bit more besides!

My Chinese lathe is great, no run out on the spindle, smooth and vibration free, accurate every time.

My 'Chinese Cheapies' have enabled me to stretch my money much further than I ever imagined...my Aldi drilling machine is still making nice accurate holes in steel and brass after 5 years but strangely enough I have never deflected the table by using drilling pressure.........

I've seen the diameter of brass you turn Bob and given how light a cut you take, I doubt you will ever deflect anything. II'll give you some of my stock to have a go with if you want ?

ATB Ian

11/06/2017 19:18:23

Like I said, I was given mine, so it's only to be expected that it isn't going to be a fine quality machine. Yes the table distorts downwards when drilling 30mm aluminium even drilling it slowly and using gradually bigger drills, it results in the top of the hole being where it should be and the bottom of the hole being forward of the axis.

It has however served me well but as I now have a mill that is very precise and functional I tend to use that, i might look at servicing the drill, or just scrap it off.

My Chinese lathe is doing a great job and is certainly worth every penny and means that I have managed to get a good quality lathe producing great results, rather than a worn out British one at the same price.

Thread: aluminium crank cases
09/06/2017 23:36:17

DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER,

and don't ask me how I know wink

Thread: Ebay chuckle
09/06/2017 23:33:52

Ahhh no, I thought I was the only one to own such rubbish. In fairness mine was kindly given to me and is ok for very light use. The table bends downwards if I use too much pressure with larger drills, hence no accuracy built in, oh yes and mine also has the idler in the middle, mine is noisy, vibrates and hardly gets used now as I use the mill.

Ian

Thread: Machine moving day.
09/06/2017 23:14:18

Nick can I ask who did the move for you and where they are based, I don't need anything yet but always good to know these things.

Muzzer, same question to you but obviousley for a different reason frown

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Dore Westbury Mk2 drive pulley repair
23/05/2017 22:10:35

Canyon can you let me have your contact details please, I have a Grayson and may want to ask some questions about it.

Thank you,

Ian

Thread: Doncaster show
12/05/2017 10:39:34

Ahh I thought there would be a simple answer, Thanks Neil.

12/05/2017 10:19:00

Hi,

I tried to post this question last night but it hasn't appeared?

Anyway I asked how come the Doncaster show (and any other forth coming shows) don't appear under the events tab in the menu?

Ian

Thread: link belts
12/05/2017 10:05:12

I'm not greatly experienced with belts and pullys but I do know that 'Simply Bearings' do a wide range of belts.

Ian

Thread: Unheated garage ok for a lathe?
08/05/2017 22:25:30

Wow, thank to all contributers, seems like it's ok to proceed then. My garage is dry and walls are lined with OSB with expanded foam squirted into the gap between the OSB and the concrete garage panels.

I will take on board the need to keep things well oiled and keep the air moving.

Thank you again,

Ian

08/05/2017 19:51:50

Hi,

I currently have a small grayson and a slightly larger Chester DB10 in my indoor workshop. Thread cutting on the Grayson is a none starter really, the Chester is ok on soft materials. I recently used a Harrison 300 and was blown away by how easy it did the job.

On reflection, it's a lot bigger, a lot, lot heavier and it's 3 phase, oh and of course it's imperial. But it worked just like the ones I used during my apprenticeship several centuries ago and I could just about justify getting one if I sell the others, the problem is this.

There is no way it will fit into my indoor workshop, it would have to go into my boarded garage, lighting would need improving but the big concern is that it is not heated at all. Would something like a Harrison 300 etc, Colchester Student or larger Boxford be ok in an unheated garage or would I be asking for trouble?

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Boring on an angle
07/05/2017 23:12:19

Gents,

Thank you for the helpful input, thought it would be nice to give an update.

I have ended up using 5c as I found a better choice of fixtures in this mode and can work with a slightly greater diameter workpiece. smiley

Once again thanks for you help.

01/05/2017 21:24:32

Haha thank you gents, something like the square or hex collet holder would be perfect, seems so obvious now you have pointed it out doh.

Many thanks again,

Ian

30/04/2017 21:45:03

Hi,

Roy, if you mean from mid point along the length of the bar yes, if you mean from the centre of the bar outwards that's not going to give the desired result.

I will try to take a photograph at some point, that should show you what I am trying to achieve. It will also show how precarious my current method is.

Michael, You are very close to describing the method I use at the moment, I actually use a 10mm end mill and clamp the bar in the tool post, the problem is that this method is reall a lash up in respect of clamping the work piece. Amazingly I got away with it the first time on a test piece but to be honest my tool post is too small to provide deep enough clamping of the work piece and I think I might actually be about to develop a workpiece launcher at any time!

Am I right in thinking I should make a split sleeve or is there something commercially available?

Once again thak you both, for taking the time to reply and help.

Ian

30/04/2017 20:04:21

Hi,

I want to bore into a bar, along it's length but coming in at an angle. So I need the drill - reamer mounted into the spindle, the bar mounted into the cross slide or tool post, so that the bar is running along the length of the lathe but on an angle so that the bore comes in from the side and drills intowards the centre of the bar.

The bar diameter will only be about 15 - 16 mm and the bore(s) (there will be three of them at 120 degrees).

What's the best way to achieve this please, I will try to draw what I am after if I can and then upload the picture(s).

Many thanks,

Ian

Thread: warco lathes.
27/04/2017 17:37:31
Posted by David Standing 1 on 27/04/2017 09:18:08:
Tony
How far can the budget stretch? Boxford can still sell you a brand new, British made machine:
And if money were absolutely no issue, I would park one of these in my workshop:

Edited By David Standing 1 on 27/04/2017 09:27:31

Thanks for the links David, wish I could afford the Harrison, looks as though it would be very useful.

Thanks,

Ian

26/04/2017 22:30:57

Wow the power cables have had a fair bit of current through em the by the look of it, not a clue what might have caused it but I think Warco have been very good in taking the lathe back and offering a full refund.

There are a few questions running through my mind (if off topic mods please let me know).

As far as I can tell from climbing over the lathes stocked by Warco and Chester, they are identical in most ways, having slight cosmetic differences to seperate the two brands.

So what other choices are available for those wanting a small/medium, new lathe? and are there any British made ones still in production?

Thanks,

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest