By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: classified photo
27/09/2017 19:19:50

Hi,

I have just placed a Myford lathe for sale in the classified section, despite creating an album I am not given any opportunity to add a photo of the lathe, any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Ian

Thread: A bit of humour
26/09/2017 22:08:20
Posted by "Bill Hancox" on 25/09/2017 21:48:26:

For those who haven't seen it yet this is from one of my albums

kiss.jpg

Edited By "Bill Hancox" on 25/09/2017 21:50:07

Mmmmm bacon....

Thread: Antique oil can
26/09/2017 22:05:09

I was given a beautiful old oil can by a well meaning old timer a few years ago, took it into the workshop and put oil into it, only to see it peeing out through the rim at the bottom where it had gone rusty, that's Irony....

25/09/2017 19:56:44

easter-bunny (1).jpg

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 25/09/2017 21:46:46

25/09/2017 19:50:36

Martin Permans post had me in stitches.

Thread: My very own Quick Change toolpost
25/09/2017 19:43:46

Only had a quick look Neil and it looks very functional, can I ask why brass pistons, is it the lower friction?

24/09/2017 20:57:23

Thieves broke into a police station and pinched all of the toilets, at the moment, police have nothing to go on.

Two lads got drunk, one started to drink battery acid whilst the other was eating fireworks. Up before the judge the next day the first was discharged and the second was let off.

Thread: My very own Quick Change toolpost
24/09/2017 20:52:53

Hi Iain,

Check out Harold Hall's web site, he desinged and made a very robust qctp. **LINK**

Thread: Myford Oiling - Wanner 300-1
24/09/2017 20:46:16

I have just become the owner of a ML7 that has not been used for a few years, thankfully the machine was laid up nicely as the previous owner knew he wouldn't be using it again. I have been using a syringe with a blunt filtered needle on it to get oil into the nipples, that works well and isn't expensive, something like this **LINK**

Thread: Myford Super 7 Struggle
24/09/2017 20:31:41

Hi Andy,

I'm guessing that your known as palmanda on an airgun forum? I am known as what barn door on the same forum. A good sized Chinese lathe will do everything your likely to need, I have a Chester DB 10 Super which works out pretty well. If I am honest I would have preferred something bigger, heavier and British but the price for such a lathe is pretty steep.

I will shortly be selling a ML7 which can be seen running and checked over before anyone commits to buying it, not for sale yet as one of the oil drip feed pots leaks slightly and I want to replace that and the oil nipples before offering it for sale, it has a 3 phase motor and a Lenze variable frequency controller, bernered 3 and 4 jaw and myford milling attachment, I will be asking £550 for it, but it's not a super and I live miles away from you. Try to check out a Warco if you can.

Thread: Outstanding Service
22/09/2017 21:58:07

During the past twelve months I have had excellent advice and service from Chester (Thank you Tony). Great service and help from Arc (Thanks chaps) and RDG, Tracy tools and Chronos, all excellent but now I contact any supplier before ordering anything and try to get an agreement that DPD will be the courier, they knock other couriers out of the running by a fair margin, not only great communications, they will re-direct delivery to suit your needs, fantastic service.

I have no association with any of the companies mentioned above other than being very happy with prices and quality.

Thread: Myford help required please
18/09/2017 23:03:16

Wow thanks again, I managed to track down a John Deer dealer nearby and got the H32 for a very reasonable price.

Looking over the machine it is indeed very nice, everything seems so logical and sensible although I wouldn't consider screw cutting with it (or any other lathe just yet, my skills in that area are very jaded). I won't be touching the spindle bearings at all as they seem to be doing just fine as they are. I haven't changed the motor mounting system yet but might add rubber as suggested earlier. The Lenze controller is incredible for it's size, very neat and so useful. Love the burnerd chucks too, very smooth, shame they won't go onto the Chester. Took me a while to get the drip feed set up right, but looking good now.

I won't be adding a clutch assembly or anything like that, I am not sure that I will be keeping it yet.

Thanks again,

Ian

17/09/2017 21:10:41
Posted by David Standing 1 on 17/09/2017 20:00:43:

Ian

You're welcome.

Nuto H32 is freely available in 1 litre or above quantities on eBay.

Thanks again David, will have it by the end of the week smiley

Edited By David Standing 1 on 17/09/2017 20:01:30

17/09/2017 21:08:47

Hi Martin,

Good points,

1, Yep checked it over with a piece of 18mm ms bar in the chuck, no play to be found, lathe moves before dial moves. Interestingly I can't see how the bearings can be tightened or adjusted to take up any play (unless just tightening the cap head screws is the way to do that?).

2, No the gibs appear to be adjusted just right, the carriage moves freely with a slight tightening as it travels towards the tailstock, but not very much.

3, It does already have the Myford drip feeders in place, they're empty which is not surprising, previous owner layed it all up when he knew he wouldn't be using it anymore that was a few years ago.

4, I will have to look into doing that, the motor seems to be mounted to the original mounting plate, no rubber anywhere.

I came by this lathe through knowing the previous owner who was an engineer all his life, he looked after everything he owned and would spend money whenever he thought it would bring about an improvement. The lathe was left wrapped up in his workshop until his widow decided that now was the right time to let it go. I initially thought I would just sell it on, but it is so nice, not like new or painted up, but in such good working condition that I am tempted to keep it.

Once again thanks for the help.

Thread: Making a start
17/09/2017 20:20:17

Snap, well almost. I used to be an engineer years ago, last year I bought a Chester DB10, Last week I inherited a Myford ML7 in very good condition.

Welcome to what I believe is the most helpful forum on tinterweb.

Ian

17/09/2017 19:56:13

Thank you Duncan and David.

I will track some down from somewhere.

David I see what you mean, it's been used there is some fading and chips on the paint, but no play at all in the spindle and the carriage doesn't get stiff as it travels the bed, all the gearing has good teeth and they do look to be as new with grease evident but not plastered. It has a 3 jaw bernerd UK chuck and also a four jaw independant same make, no face plate? but it has a Myford vertical milling attachment and a few cutting tools and a plastic cover. I may even keep it, but I don't use the Chester a lot so it might become a dust gathering ornament laugh

Thread: Myford raising blocks
17/09/2017 19:33:53

Thank you gents, luckily it sits at the right height for use by me.

17/09/2017 19:03:41

I have recently become the owner of a Myford ML7 Lathe. After initial checking of things I was completely astonished to see no detectable run out of the spindle, either laterally or longitudinaly, I even checked that my clock was still working ok. Pleased to also see that it has a Lenze inverter and a 3ph motor fitted, old fashioned tool post but it looks very functional, no serious wear on the bad as the carriage seems smooth from chuck to tailstock and no rust.

I haven't run up the spindle yet as there appears to be no oil in the two oil feeders. The lather has been standing for a few years now.

So please can I ask, what oil should go into the oil drip feeders?

I have never heard of Lenze, but a quick check shows that it seems to offer variable speed control and direction control via switches, is it any good.

Lastly, as I already have a Chester DB10, I might decide to sell the Myford what would be a reasonable price to ask for such a lathe?

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Myford raising blocks
14/09/2017 20:11:24

Thanks Jason.

Thread: Couriers to collect from industrial auctions? Recommendations?
14/09/2017 20:09:26

There's a guy on ebay who advertises that he will move machinery around at very sensible prices, I think he is called machinetransport100 or something similar. I have never used him though so can't actually recommend.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest