By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steam Power
30/06/2017 22:34:05

Hi,

Strictly speaking I am not a model engineer as I only fly radio controled model aircraft and they don't take a lot of making (at least not the one's I fly). Actually, I don't have a degree in engineering either (does a HNC count for anything anymore?).

so I suppose I should confess to being someone that likes to tinker with things and someone that has a fascination with steam engines both static and none static. I have attended several of the local events over the last few years and love the whole atmosphere. But this is what I know about steam engines, something hot is used to change something wet, into something hot and wet, which in turn forces a piston down a cylinder and using (con rods?) turns wheels or fly wheels.

Reading through other posts and looking at some of the shops I realise that I know bugger all about steam power, is there a reccomended book for learning about such things?

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Crap vee blocks and "Oxford Precision"?
30/06/2017 20:32:41
Posted by peak4 on 30/06/2017 19:59:03:

Well I logged on to apologise for causing offence by taking the thread further off topic, with my ramblings about goats, but maybe I'll not bother now. laugh

Apology accepted but no more causing a stench

30/06/2017 19:42:45
Posted by Ian Phillips on 30/06/2017 15:51:11:
Posted by mark costello 1 on 30/06/2017 15:01:37:

Did You say Goat cheese?wink

No, he said 'get your coat please'

Ian

You didn't catch it all, he said "Eat your cold peas or you won't get any pudding".

Thread: A moan - steel of mysterious composition
30/06/2017 19:30:24

Hi Charadam,

The reason they make em out of stainless is because of the exposure to bodily fluids which have a very corrosive effect, especially if left on the metal surface for a few hours, also the bed needs to be cleaned very stringently again using chlorine based cleaning products which are also corrosive.

The finish coating, which as well as being more estheticaly pleasing is also much easier for NHS staff to keep clean.

If the finished coating were to becomes porus, the stainless frame will not fail and end up in a law suite, the mild steel one probably would.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 30/06/2017 19:36:51

28/06/2017 20:19:48

I am a bit like you choochoo_baloo, I don't make anything for a living or for a profit as such, my current engineering projects are all for my own interests, in the last twelve months I have bought a new Chester Lathe that I am very pleased with, not as sturdy or heavy as the ward's or the old herbet's but they wouldn't meet my requirements now anyway as I have a small workshop not a factory floor. I have been lucky enough to get excellent advice and help from a well known model engineering forum and have bought mainly from Arc, also from Chronos and possibly RDG, all of the stuff I have bought has been as good (or bad) as it was described.

The only item I bought from ebay was a Myford mill, luckily it rune very sweet and pretty damn true and has made me glad I did buy it, but I did have concerns until I got it home and installed. In a nutshell I think the advice given on here could be summed up as buy from the well known and respected sources who would deal with any issues you should have and thus remove the risk element of buying tooling.

ATB,

Ian

Thread: Cutting a fine groove
27/06/2017 09:28:11

Not done it yet, Yes, I apologise for not checking out your suggestion any sooner, but now I have and I am a wiser man for doing that, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Gordon Brown 1, don't give up, I bet there's not a person here who has used the fully hardened hacksaw blade and not snapped a few, thankfully you didn't sever the tendon.

I do grind (re-shape or sharpen) my lathe tools and drill bits ( I also fly rc models but mainly glow).

26/06/2017 23:19:59

I have recently bought several items from ARC, one of the items being a standard machine vice which has been machined to a finish, as I intended this vice to be used mainly for first or rough cutting I didn't buy the dearest, in fact it was only a mid-priced item.

Once unpacked I removed the swivell base as I have no need for it (yet) and mounted the vice to my mill. My only negative observation was the bolts and washers supplied to fit it are not the best, so i substituted them.

Once fitted I dialled it up to see where I was going to have errors or problems, I couldn't belive how accurate it was. 1 thou difference between the jaw hieght when opened up to 75mm (sorry for mixing units, 3". Overall the quality and finish far surpassed my expectations at the price I paid.

Other than being a repeat customer I have no connection with 'ARC' and maybe I have just been lucky, but I now have a feeling that the guys at ARC are a bit fussy about what they push out to customers in order to maintain their credibility. I will certainly continue to buy with confidence from them and will of course let them know first, if I do find something is not as it should be.

26/06/2017 22:59:13

No Dave, I really do think that the old, fully hardened (and tempered) hacksaw blades were generally better. As Max points out, the method or stroke for using them has to be correct but once mastered a good quality straight and square cut would be achieved many times. I have several differing types of knife made from the old yellow 2" recipricating saw blade and they still sharpen up in just a few strokes on the stone.

Muarice that sounds like it could be worth looking into, someone mentioned a slitting saw early on but I didn't realise that they came in that thin.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Ian

25/06/2017 20:23:28

Trying the hacksaw blades has made me realise how poor our general quality of simple tools and engineering supplies have become. As an apprentice (many, many years ago) hacksaw blades were very hard and of course that made them brittle, but they never bent, twisted or deformed like the stuff you get now, and they lasted well, ah well reminiscing over.

Thanks Russell, I'll try to source some dearer, better quality ones and have a go with one.

Ian

25/06/2017 17:18:26

I decided to try a few trial attempts before committing to the required end product. The hack saw blade attempts were not very good, but to be honest I will try again with a better quality hacksaw blade. Grinding an old HSS tool is almost there, but the tool still needs to lose another 0.3 or 0.4 mm in width in order to produce the result I need. I did manage to get one groove that is satisfactory, I used a very thin carborundum disc from a set intended for a dremel drill, it took for ever but did eventually manage it. It has made me think about using a mini drill somehow secured in the tool post and then grinding the groove, I will let you know if I do try this and of if it works.

Mean time thanks for all the suggestions.

Thread: Metal Suppliers
19/06/2017 22:11:29

Depends if you live close enough, if you do I use Mick at Noggin End Metals **LINK**

I give him a call, then pop over, he's prepared to cut the larger stuff to the length you want and his prices are good.

If I want longer or larger quantities of Aluminium I use Aluminium Warehouse, I have only ever had great service from them **LINK**

HTH, Ian

Thread: Quick Change Tool Post WM280
17/06/2017 21:37:13

How damn useful is this forum. Yesterday I measured up with a view to buying a QCTP. Decided on the 111 from arc as it is going to be the best size fit for my Warco DB10. Then found the mounting boss thing for the original tool post. I haven't gone any further at this stage as I wil need to use the lathe to make the modifications for whatever method of mounting I go for. Additionally nobody has any of the standard tool holders for this size of tool post so I will have to wait a while longer.

My sincere thanks to all contributers as the information shared in this thread will be used when tool holders are available.

Ian

16/06/2017 13:08:40

Hi Hopper,

In years gone by yes I ground many a tool on various grindstones, in fact I was made responsible for dressing them and checking balance, width and dia to make sure they were safe and ready to go or change the wheels if needed. I even went to universal to learn more when they were based in Staffordshire.

The reason I don't now is that I have a poxy little bench grinder which would be ok at a push, apart from the useless tool rests, they are so small they are next to useless, and I know what your thinking, why not make better rests. You would be right in that as well, although I am thinking of upgrading to a decent (ish) grinder and then using some angle plate to give me a tool rest that's safe to use and will allow me to produce more of my own tools when required.

16/06/2017 13:00:51
Posted by Robbo on 15/06/2017 22:15:37:

Google "msc" and this comes up - **LINK**

Other search engines are available.

Thanks Robbo

15/06/2017 21:09:52

Thank you, lots of ideas there and a kind offer from John Stevenson. Who are MSC by the way?

Thanks again,

Ian

15/06/2017 19:51:01

Hi,

In one of my latest projects I wish to cut a groove about 1mm deep and about 0.5mm or 0.6mm wide, material will be stainless steel. I am almost resigned to trying to re-grind a HSS parting tool in order to do this.

Of course someone out there has probably done this already or knows where a tool that is narrow enough can be bought?

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: kennedy hacksaw
14/06/2017 11:40:01

Ahhh yeah I remember the thing we used to use having a sort of rhythm to it, never saw it (see what I did there) fail. I used to take the old blades and grind them, they made fantastic sharp knives that held their edge well.

I might have to get a Chinese one as there are only a few used ones on ebay and none local.

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: brass wanted
13/06/2017 20:50:31

Don't know if this helps but I went to a materials supplier geared up to supply lots of different stuff in small quantities to lots and various materials and sizes and shapes etc, based in Stoke-On-Trent they're called Noggin End Metals.

As I say I went there today and only spent a few quid but the chap there (I think it was Mike?), asked his good lady to make us both a brew, very friendly and helpful, here is a link **LINK**

Thread: kennedy hacksaw
13/06/2017 19:13:19

mmmm Where might be the best place to look for a used saw? In my youth we used to have a clonky old thing with a solid starret blade and a recipricle movement, wasn't that slow as I remember it and certainly better than doing a dozen by hand.

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: CMD10 / X1 - stopping gears breaking
13/06/2017 19:06:10

Well sorted out mate, hopefully many happy hours of milling now.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest