By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Axminster Engineering Lathe Course - Update
23/10/2017 18:55:38

Can I ask if the threads were cut with Tap and Die or turned?

Thread: John Stevenson
23/10/2017 18:45:54

Extremely sad to hear this awful news, I hope his family will find some comfort in knowing that John was so very well thought of. A great loss to everyone involved in engineering.

Thread: Midlands model engineering show
22/10/2017 23:43:07

Haha maybe they are like that with everybody named Ian, I had the same experience last year and went across and ordered the same lathe in a different colour with Chester. Had no problems with it at all but don't know where to go if I decide to upgrade to a bigger and better lathe in the future as the sieg's don't seem any bigger or better than the one I have now!

Thread: John Stevenson
22/10/2017 20:47:29
Posted by richardandtracy on 22/10/2017 17:29:34:

There is a horrible 'obituary' feel to this thread - do hope it doesn't presage the worst.

Just get better John, & come back to take the Mick out of our efforts again.

All the best,

Richard

I think it speaks volumes about how popular this chap is, at the moment we have never met face to face, only a couple of posts over this forum, however I could tell instantly that John is Knowledgable, willing to share his knowledge and a decent guy. This thread (imho) shows John just how many people are rooting for him and from that he may draw strength.

Best wishes to John and all that care about him.

20/10/2017 09:36:14

Bloody hell, that's typical, I find someone who speaks as blunt as me, but unlike me he's very knowledgable and helpful, he put's up with my stupid questions and even has the patience to help me out and now he's a bit dicky.

Get a grip John, I've got a lot more stupid questions lined up,

Best wishes, Ian

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 20/10/2017 09:37:15

Thread: New chinese lathe or old Myford lathe
20/10/2017 09:24:28

I think Carl Wilson 4 has pushed my opinion towards a new Chinese one. Looking at the price he would have to pay now for the British lathe he bought, taking into account wear and price of used parts to replace even more used parts oh and then there is plus delivery.

Anyone could buy a very well equiped, very decent new lathe with deivery included and not worry about wear for a pretty long time. Until recently I owned a Chester DB10 from new and a ML7 from a deceased friend. I now feel that I made the right decision to get rid of the ML7 and keep the Chester, funny how other people's views can influence the thought process.

PS, thanks to John Stevenson I am now producing some very nice accurate thin grooves with my Chester.yes

Thread: Rotary table size myford vmc
18/10/2017 20:12:17

Oh they do look useful, thanks for the link Clive.

Thread: New chinese lathe or old Myford lathe
18/10/2017 20:03:46

My take on it is that a good used British lathe will knock spots off any of the Chinese ones. I have a Chester DB 10 Super, it is accurate in fact very accurate but it just doesn't inspire confidence with things like deep cuts to get through the skin on stainless steel or thread cutting. I took the cover off the gear box and the cogs are anything but concentric, no wonder it sounds awful when they're engaged. The cross slide and compound slide are small and light weight and not up to things like rear tool post or tool post grinder.

If your only going to spin up a bit of ali now and then, a Chinese one will probably be just fine. If on the other hand you want to work with large items and various materials then a good English lathe as any of those mentioned above should be OK, but, if it's worn then it can be very expensive and frought with problems getting it put right.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up buying.

Ian

Thread: Axminster Engineering Lathe Course - Update
15/10/2017 17:59:06

Sounds like you have enjoyed the course a lot, where are the courses held ie which county/town/city?

Thread: Spring is in the air
11/10/2017 22:09:31

Thank you gents, I will try again on tinternet, and Maplins.

Thanks you,

Ian

11/10/2017 21:29:37

Hi,

Does anybody know where would be a good place to buy a selection of compression springs, all fairly small as in ball point pen sized (typicaly) but various lengths and (strength? power? whatever th ereal term should be?).

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Chester DB10 setup
11/10/2017 17:38:10

Clive thank you, I shall stop worrying and carry on somewhat wiser.

Many thanks,

Ian

11/10/2017 17:15:45

Hi,

I have been using my Chester DB10 Super for almost a year now, it has been asked to do a lot and I am generally pleased with it, however I do have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with.

1, When I take a shallow cut running from tailstock to chuck, if I get to the end of the cut and then bring the carriage back towards the tailstock without withdrawing the tool, I can see the tool taking another small cut as it travels back. Is this backlash in the cross slide?

2. The cross slide is 100% square to the chuck face, it doesn't cause me any problems on small diameter stuff but if I was to face say a back plate, it would be slightlty concaved. Could be me being stupid but I can't see anyway to adjust this out?

Many thanks for any advice offered, PS it runs very accurately down the length of the workpiece using a 0.01mm clock, 0.03 run out over 120mm length.

Thread: Alternative places to buy / sell machines.
11/10/2017 16:56:43

HEADS -UP, Be careful if googeling "Craigslist" I did and found lots of free stuff available but not what I was looking forwink 2

11/10/2017 16:24:46

IMHO, ebay has become a farce, you can't arrange to view anything beforehand anymore, even if the seller is willing to let you, preloved has worked for me in the past. As mentioned in an earlier thread, auctions don't really want your business unless your buying the crap that the business buyers don't want.

Good luck,

Ian

Thread: Arc euro and parcelforce. Great partners
05/10/2017 21:29:23

@Ketan

I have bought items from you (well Arc Eurotrade to be precise) and never had any problems, however as a customer I do prefer (now) to source items from suppliers using DPD as they will deliver to a nominated shop or other place chosen from their network. In real terms, for me it means I can order something late in the evening after work, then go onto interweb thingy and arrange for it to be delivered to the off licence half a mile away. I can then call into said off licence up until 10 pm whenever it's conveiniant. Now if parcel force can start to offer that kind of service it will really make for a level playing field.

Best regards,

Ian

Thread: Quick change tool post
02/10/2017 18:48:49

I have a Dickson type (clone) toolpost also sold as a boxford type, The piston pulls the tool holder in against the dove tails and looking at it in action I think Neil has a good point. This type only has the edges of the piston crown pulling the tool in, I guess th epush type uses the whole face of the piston and thus has a greater area/friction etc.

But as often, I could be wrong frown

01/10/2017 22:11:50

Hi Martin,

Sorry for going off topic somewhat, but you may need one of these before anything else **LINK**

Good luck with your new (old ) lathe, I am sure you will have many hours of enjoyment, frustration and satisfaction.

Ian

Thread: 'Grease nipples' and oiling
01/10/2017 22:08:40

Or if you want to hang onto your hard earned, one of these...**LINK**

Thread: classified photo
27/09/2017 22:03:11

Jason your a star, that is the one I was trying to add.

Many thanks,

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest