By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford help required please
18/09/2017 23:03:16

Wow thanks again, I managed to track down a John Deer dealer nearby and got the H32 for a very reasonable price.

Looking over the machine it is indeed very nice, everything seems so logical and sensible although I wouldn't consider screw cutting with it (or any other lathe just yet, my skills in that area are very jaded). I won't be touching the spindle bearings at all as they seem to be doing just fine as they are. I haven't changed the motor mounting system yet but might add rubber as suggested earlier. The Lenze controller is incredible for it's size, very neat and so useful. Love the burnerd chucks too, very smooth, shame they won't go onto the Chester. Took me a while to get the drip feed set up right, but looking good now.

I won't be adding a clutch assembly or anything like that, I am not sure that I will be keeping it yet.

Thanks again,

Ian

17/09/2017 21:10:41
Posted by David Standing 1 on 17/09/2017 20:00:43:

Ian

You're welcome.

Nuto H32 is freely available in 1 litre or above quantities on eBay.

Thanks again David, will have it by the end of the week smiley

Edited By David Standing 1 on 17/09/2017 20:01:30

17/09/2017 21:08:47

Hi Martin,

Good points,

1, Yep checked it over with a piece of 18mm ms bar in the chuck, no play to be found, lathe moves before dial moves. Interestingly I can't see how the bearings can be tightened or adjusted to take up any play (unless just tightening the cap head screws is the way to do that?).

2, No the gibs appear to be adjusted just right, the carriage moves freely with a slight tightening as it travels towards the tailstock, but not very much.

3, It does already have the Myford drip feeders in place, they're empty which is not surprising, previous owner layed it all up when he knew he wouldn't be using it anymore that was a few years ago.

4, I will have to look into doing that, the motor seems to be mounted to the original mounting plate, no rubber anywhere.

I came by this lathe through knowing the previous owner who was an engineer all his life, he looked after everything he owned and would spend money whenever he thought it would bring about an improvement. The lathe was left wrapped up in his workshop until his widow decided that now was the right time to let it go. I initially thought I would just sell it on, but it is so nice, not like new or painted up, but in such good working condition that I am tempted to keep it.

Once again thanks for the help.

Thread: Making a start
17/09/2017 20:20:17

Snap, well almost. I used to be an engineer years ago, last year I bought a Chester DB10, Last week I inherited a Myford ML7 in very good condition.

Welcome to what I believe is the most helpful forum on tinterweb.

Ian

17/09/2017 19:56:13

Thank you Duncan and David.

I will track some down from somewhere.

David I see what you mean, it's been used there is some fading and chips on the paint, but no play at all in the spindle and the carriage doesn't get stiff as it travels the bed, all the gearing has good teeth and they do look to be as new with grease evident but not plastered. It has a 3 jaw bernerd UK chuck and also a four jaw independant same make, no face plate? but it has a Myford vertical milling attachment and a few cutting tools and a plastic cover. I may even keep it, but I don't use the Chester a lot so it might become a dust gathering ornament laugh

Thread: Myford raising blocks
17/09/2017 19:33:53

Thank you gents, luckily it sits at the right height for use by me.

17/09/2017 19:03:41

I have recently become the owner of a Myford ML7 Lathe. After initial checking of things I was completely astonished to see no detectable run out of the spindle, either laterally or longitudinaly, I even checked that my clock was still working ok. Pleased to also see that it has a Lenze inverter and a 3ph motor fitted, old fashioned tool post but it looks very functional, no serious wear on the bad as the carriage seems smooth from chuck to tailstock and no rust.

I haven't run up the spindle yet as there appears to be no oil in the two oil feeders. The lather has been standing for a few years now.

So please can I ask, what oil should go into the oil drip feeders?

I have never heard of Lenze, but a quick check shows that it seems to offer variable speed control and direction control via switches, is it any good.

Lastly, as I already have a Chester DB10, I might decide to sell the Myford what would be a reasonable price to ask for such a lathe?

Thanks,

Ian

14/09/2017 20:11:24

Thanks Jason.

Thread: Couriers to collect from industrial auctions? Recommendations?
14/09/2017 20:09:26

There's a guy on ebay who advertises that he will move machinery around at very sensible prices, I think he is called machinetransport100 or something similar. I have never used him though so can't actually recommend.

14/09/2017 19:43:31

Hi,

I have recently obtained a very nice Myford ML7, if I decide to keep it I might want to add a few extra useful tools or accessories. I have seen Myford raising blocks for sale and I basicly want to know, are these to go under the mounting lugs and raise up the whole lathe to a higher position or do they fit under the heand and tail stock to increase the sizes of tools that can be used?

Sorry if this is a dum question.

Ian

Thread: Micro Burner
23/08/2017 22:12:39

Hi,

Jason what would happen if you drilled a small hole (0.75mm maybe?) nearer the gas supply end of the brass tube? Would that allow air to be drawn in, maybe crimp it slightly before the new hole to speed up the gas flow and reduce pressure?

Ian

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
20/08/2017 21:23:08

Ahhh their cute, what breed are they? Are they French Bulldogs as mentioned by Roderick?

Thread: Level lathe set up
18/08/2017 10:33:44

Nick Hulme, David Standing is right, it was an unspotted typo on my part, sorry to have caused any confusion.

Thread: advice on choosing a milling machine
16/08/2017 19:56:42

Hi Giles,

Sorry that I can't really offer a finite answer to your question but bear in mind the following scenario that I find myself in.

I wanted a small to mid sized lathe and bought a far eastern one for about £1200, the lathe itself is ok and pretty accurate, it came with a 3 jaw chuck and a four jaw independant chuck as well as a face plate. I bought a collet holder chuck as well as I want to maintain a tight degree of accuracy where possible.

Once it was set up in my workshop I set about truing the 3 jaw chuck as this was already mounted and would often be used. After a very light skim of the back plate and some fine tuning I had it cracked, a couple of light c/punch marks for further identification should the chuck ever need to come off. The 4 jaw was also set up so as to be true, not wanting to disturb the now accurate set up I tried to buy back plates for both teh face plate and the collet chuck.

Firstly the cost of over £100 each from the supplier of the machine and secondly the the fact that they didn't have any in stock and no idea of when they would become available meant that the face plate and collet holder are not useable. My used, old British Mill came with just about everything I would ever use and is very solid and reliable in use. So do check out even the well known suppliers of these far eastern machines as they will tell you they have everything in the way of spares and accessories available etc, etc.

Thread: Level lathe set up
16/08/2017 19:39:23

Firstly I want to point out that I am probably no more knowledgable than David Thompson 1, however David ask yourself this question;

If I am going to bother making sure that there is now twisting, bending and distortion in the lathe once it is set up, why would I not make sure it was level as well?

Thread: Cast Iron query
10/08/2017 20:32:27

Quick update,

drilled it a little deeper (must have been close to breaking through the outer face, but didn't), then tapped it in have a go style with (Duncans advice about using UNF followed) a M10 Carbon plug tap, ground to be very flat to allow it to go as deep as possible.

I am sure it is more down to luck than skill but it has worked perfectly. If it does fail in the future due to lack of depth then I will have to use some of the excellent ideas put forward.

Many thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Thread: Move to a Miller
10/08/2017 20:16:28

I don't normally recommend that well known auction site but I bought a Myford VMC for a very good price off it, it was a bit of a gamble but checking out the photos and asking a couple of questions helped to make the decision.

Long story short, it is a superb machine and looking at some of the offerings from the well known used machinery outlets I would say it was a very good bargain indeed, it more than meets my needs, so if your in no hurry, check out that site and see what comes up.

Thread: Polystyrene cutting
10/08/2017 20:06:28

For future reference, I have just finished cutting large 50mm thick sheets down to size to insulate my garage as it's going to become my workshop very soon. I used the flat blade heating element of an old toaster with a battery charger, worked a treat and cost nothing.face 23

Thread: Try Model Engineers' Workshop or Model Engineer for 1
05/08/2017 21:41:00

I have just gone and subscribed, thanks for the heads up.

Thread: Cast Iron query
04/08/2017 10:32:42

Mmm seems like my initial concerns are well founded, I like the idea of drilling through and tapping, then using a shouldered or stepped thread.

I will try to get a couple of photos up to show the problem in more clarity.

But in the mean time, thanks again to all of you for your help.

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest