By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chester DB10 setup
11/10/2017 17:38:10

Clive thank you, I shall stop worrying and carry on somewhat wiser.

Many thanks,

Ian

11/10/2017 17:15:45

Hi,

I have been using my Chester DB10 Super for almost a year now, it has been asked to do a lot and I am generally pleased with it, however I do have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with.

1, When I take a shallow cut running from tailstock to chuck, if I get to the end of the cut and then bring the carriage back towards the tailstock without withdrawing the tool, I can see the tool taking another small cut as it travels back. Is this backlash in the cross slide?

2. The cross slide is 100% square to the chuck face, it doesn't cause me any problems on small diameter stuff but if I was to face say a back plate, it would be slightlty concaved. Could be me being stupid but I can't see anyway to adjust this out?

Many thanks for any advice offered, PS it runs very accurately down the length of the workpiece using a 0.01mm clock, 0.03 run out over 120mm length.

Thread: Alternative places to buy / sell machines.
11/10/2017 16:56:43

HEADS -UP, Be careful if googeling "Craigslist" I did and found lots of free stuff available but not what I was looking forwink 2

11/10/2017 16:24:46

IMHO, ebay has become a farce, you can't arrange to view anything beforehand anymore, even if the seller is willing to let you, preloved has worked for me in the past. As mentioned in an earlier thread, auctions don't really want your business unless your buying the crap that the business buyers don't want.

Good luck,

Ian

Thread: Arc euro and parcelforce. Great partners
05/10/2017 21:29:23

@Ketan

I have bought items from you (well Arc Eurotrade to be precise) and never had any problems, however as a customer I do prefer (now) to source items from suppliers using DPD as they will deliver to a nominated shop or other place chosen from their network. In real terms, for me it means I can order something late in the evening after work, then go onto interweb thingy and arrange for it to be delivered to the off licence half a mile away. I can then call into said off licence up until 10 pm whenever it's conveiniant. Now if parcel force can start to offer that kind of service it will really make for a level playing field.

Best regards,

Ian

Thread: Quick change tool post
02/10/2017 18:48:49

I have a Dickson type (clone) toolpost also sold as a boxford type, The piston pulls the tool holder in against the dove tails and looking at it in action I think Neil has a good point. This type only has the edges of the piston crown pulling the tool in, I guess th epush type uses the whole face of the piston and thus has a greater area/friction etc.

But as often, I could be wrong frown

01/10/2017 22:11:50

Hi Martin,

Sorry for going off topic somewhat, but you may need one of these before anything else **LINK**

Good luck with your new (old ) lathe, I am sure you will have many hours of enjoyment, frustration and satisfaction.

Ian

Thread: 'Grease nipples' and oiling
01/10/2017 22:08:40

Or if you want to hang onto your hard earned, one of these...**LINK**

Thread: classified photo
27/09/2017 22:03:11

Jason your a star, that is the one I was trying to add.

Many thanks,

Ian

27/09/2017 19:19:50

Hi,

I have just placed a Myford lathe for sale in the classified section, despite creating an album I am not given any opportunity to add a photo of the lathe, any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Ian

Thread: A bit of humour
26/09/2017 22:08:20
Posted by "Bill Hancox" on 25/09/2017 21:48:26:

For those who haven't seen it yet this is from one of my albums

kiss.jpg

Edited By "Bill Hancox" on 25/09/2017 21:50:07

Mmmmm bacon....

Thread: Antique oil can
26/09/2017 22:05:09

I was given a beautiful old oil can by a well meaning old timer a few years ago, took it into the workshop and put oil into it, only to see it peeing out through the rim at the bottom where it had gone rusty, that's Irony....

25/09/2017 19:56:44

easter-bunny (1).jpg

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 25/09/2017 21:46:46

25/09/2017 19:50:36

Martin Permans post had me in stitches.

Thread: My very own Quick Change toolpost
25/09/2017 19:43:46

Only had a quick look Neil and it looks very functional, can I ask why brass pistons, is it the lower friction?

24/09/2017 20:57:23

Thieves broke into a police station and pinched all of the toilets, at the moment, police have nothing to go on.

Two lads got drunk, one started to drink battery acid whilst the other was eating fireworks. Up before the judge the next day the first was discharged and the second was let off.

Thread: My very own Quick Change toolpost
24/09/2017 20:52:53

Hi Iain,

Check out Harold Hall's web site, he desinged and made a very robust qctp. **LINK**

Thread: Myford Oiling - Wanner 300-1
24/09/2017 20:46:16

I have just become the owner of a ML7 that has not been used for a few years, thankfully the machine was laid up nicely as the previous owner knew he wouldn't be using it again. I have been using a syringe with a blunt filtered needle on it to get oil into the nipples, that works well and isn't expensive, something like this **LINK**

Thread: Myford Super 7 Struggle
24/09/2017 20:31:41

Hi Andy,

I'm guessing that your known as palmanda on an airgun forum? I am known as what barn door on the same forum. A good sized Chinese lathe will do everything your likely to need, I have a Chester DB 10 Super which works out pretty well. If I am honest I would have preferred something bigger, heavier and British but the price for such a lathe is pretty steep.

I will shortly be selling a ML7 which can be seen running and checked over before anyone commits to buying it, not for sale yet as one of the oil drip feed pots leaks slightly and I want to replace that and the oil nipples before offering it for sale, it has a 3 phase motor and a Lenze variable frequency controller, bernered 3 and 4 jaw and myford milling attachment, I will be asking £550 for it, but it's not a super and I live miles away from you. Try to check out a Warco if you can.

Thread: Outstanding Service
22/09/2017 21:58:07

During the past twelve months I have had excellent advice and service from Chester (Thank you Tony). Great service and help from Arc (Thanks chaps) and RDG, Tracy tools and Chronos, all excellent but now I contact any supplier before ordering anything and try to get an agreement that DPD will be the courier, they knock other couriers out of the running by a fair margin, not only great communications, they will re-direct delivery to suit your needs, fantastic service.

I have no association with any of the companies mentioned above other than being very happy with prices and quality.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest