By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help please!
08/05/2021 21:03:14

Hi Diane,

I live in Crewe so not very far away, although the lathe is of no interest to me I could pop around and help you put together a list of the items that are available with the lathe, at least that way you could advertise it as complete with etc,.

If you PM me I will be happy to let you have my contact details.

Regards,

Ian

Thread: Does size matter
26/04/2021 21:12:42

I did wonder what the part was, all I know is that he is very satisfied with the lathe so I guess it is cutting accurately enough for whatever it is he is doing, thanks for the info chaps.

26/04/2021 17:53:00

I very recently sold my Boxford lathe to make way for a larger unit. The buyer who collected the lathe only this Saturday just gone has kindly sent me a photograph showing the lathe in use. I would never have thought it possible to turn such a large item on this machine but the operator is very happy with the results.

boxford sold.jpg

Thread: How can you check that DVLA field of vision machine is OK.
26/04/2021 17:37:39

I have some experience in the field of opthalmology and have seen many reasons for both slow and sudden unset of reduced peripheral vision, some factors that can help are life style, smoking is terrible for good eye care, good diet is beneficial especially some of the supplements like Lutein, Bilberry, and Zeaxanthin but sadly age is something that you can't do anything about.

Your ability to see at any or all distances with your central vision is not an indication that your peripheral vision is ok. Opticians and technicians are not able to tell a person when to press or when to expect to see a light as that rather defeats the object and would create false positives no doubt. Conditions such as AMD, Glaucoma or high intra ocular pressure can certainly damage peripheral vision, along with things like poor vascular activity, arthritis and rheumatic conditions also seem to be common with vision problems. It is also possible to have variation when being tested, some days you may have poor sight and on another occasion not so bad.

Thread: Faircut Lathe Advice
07/04/2021 19:00:04

Seems a bit pricey for what it is, if you do get it make sure it has all the change gears and other bits you are ever likely to need as they would be a pita to get hold of.

Thread: Hello everyone; Engineering equipment for sale
30/03/2021 16:31:03

Sorry to hear of your sad loss Jonathan.

Thread: Excellent Chinese Chuck
29/03/2021 10:04:44

During the quest to get the best accuracy I could from my Chester DB 10 and achieve a parallel cut to over 120mm cut I could never get consistent results and even after marking if I removed the work and put it back into the chuck it wasn't anything like concentric, sometimes the run out was visible. I tried everything but had to concede that the chuck just wasn't very good. I ordered a fairly cheap 125mm dia 3 jaw chuck from ARC, it arrived quickly, I cleaned it, although it probably didn't need it. Put it onto the back plate and wow, what a difference. I can't be 100% sure, but I think I paid less that £50 including postage. So then I was able to shim the head and I now get 0.01mm run out over 120mm length of cut, I am certainly happy with the chuck that I bought from ARC.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 29/03/2021 10:05:04

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
28/02/2021 20:01:15

Very nice Gerhard, your Father would be proud of you I am sure.

Thread: How Many People Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb on the Forum?
17/02/2021 20:49:22

I admit to being a very poor gardener but isn't it a bit early for bulbs? Cast a clout or whatever...

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
03/02/2021 20:13:28

super sixty.jpgBelow is my son holding my modified Senior Telemaster with a laser 100 up front. Above  is a super sixty with a 30 four stroke up front, possibly an ASP.

telemaster and son.jpg

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 03/02/2021 20:14:08

Thread: Bolton triple expansion engine running at last
01/02/2021 19:47:15

Nice work.

Thread: Eagle Surface grinder - who here uses one?
31/01/2021 19:59:52

Wow great job Pete.

Thread: Have You considered getting a 3D printer
30/01/2021 16:05:43
Posted by Tony Wright 1 on 29/01/2021 23:00:11:

Mr Skeldon, you seem to have lost the plot! What has MODEL engineering got to do with your statement ?. Who would suggest the “amateur “engineer would be involved in brain tumor ? You would leave that to experts not some one who makes models.

To quote the late great Terry Wogan. Is it me ?

Tony wright model maker not neurosurgeon !!!!

ps instead of model engineering why not call it Any thing you might do in your shed !

Tony it's you who has lost the plot and possibly your temper if your actions are anything to go by.

A model isn't just a small scaled reproduction of a steam engine, the fact that steam is no longer used is because engineering is dynamic, the really clever people seek to innovate and find new ways to design and create things that we have not yet seen, then many years later others will make those very same things for pleasure. If you don't wish to embrace the changes that's fine, your not going to lose the skills you have or be thought any less of, but don't knock others for doing things that you can't or don't wish to do.

Now how about you reinstate your membership and continue offering help when it's asked for.

29/01/2021 21:47:15
Posted by Tony Wright 1 on 29/01/2021 09:54:34:

The skills required for 3d are computer skills not model engineering ! Using a band saw or a hacksaw you still have to physically do it .Carving a piece of wood is hardly engineering is it . I was Just taking it to it’s logical conclusion.Like cnc it’s the computer program that’s doing the work.

When you can stick a persons head on your lathe or mill, scan it and produce the equivalent of a 3d radium mask to accurately pinpoint a tumour inside a brain, give me a shout I will happily come along and watch how a real old fashioned engineer does it.

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
14/01/2021 20:50:42

Well you can all believe or disbelieve whatever you like, however as someone working in a hospital all I can say is something is filling our beds and the three temporary morgues we have alongside our permanent one. It is nothing like the flu, the flu tends to make most of the people that catch it feel really ill for a week to ten days, covid 19 makes you wish it was the flu, at times patients give up the fight, other times it attacks or damages major organs causing a full failure, as if that wasn't bad enough we have patients with us who have been in hospital for months and will never have their old life back.

So don't worry about the figures or stats, just take real care and take sensible precautions, I really hope we will all be on this forum for many more years to come, stay safe.

Thread: Where do the parcels go ?
09/01/2021 11:46:47

The best way to think of Hermes is to see it as a typo, it is actually Herpes and any contact should be avoided at all costs.

Seriously, they lose things, they lie, they have no idea, I am mildly impressed that their workforce can find their way into work, everything else ends up in the wrong place frown

Thread: Which Laptop
22/12/2020 19:58:52

I hope whichever laptop you buy you get many years use from it and who knows maybe ask the same question again in years to come.

I would whole heartedly say do not buy the bag of crap I bought 4 months ago. My old ASUS laptop gave good service for about five years and then died, I needed a laptop in a bit of a hurry and there was not a lot of choice left on the shelf so I bought a HP 17-CA2 XXX it has an AMD Athlon CPU and 4gb of RAM, Windows 10 installed on it. It is the slowest machine I have ever owned, I mean really, really slow and it hangs at least once a session. I don't run much on it either so just a terrible machine and the last HP product I will ever buy.

Thread: Milton Keynes Metals?
19/12/2020 14:48:15

Call me cynical if you wish but I don't think being a shopping partner on here means bugger all except that they use this advertising medium.

Thread: banners
18/12/2020 20:27:32

That's the reason I binned firefox and went to opera instead.

Thread: Chester MF42B multi functions
05/12/2020 18:44:47

If you post your location there will probably be someone living nearby who can run through the basics.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest