By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
23/11/2019 20:43:51

I love my ender 3 and found no reason to upgrade, amazing at the price.

Thread: Grand Piano Bolts - 6.6mm x 22tpi
17/11/2019 15:17:36

Well done Mark, I would have cheated and drilled it out and tapped it next size up in metric and let him buy the screws/bolts.

Thread: Hi guys just bought a Harrison m300 and looking for info etc
15/11/2019 21:01:35

I'm green with envy enjoy your lathe and good luck with your progress.

Thread: Fusion 360 Licence Changes
07/11/2019 21:09:59

Oh bugger just seen that Hans quoted an old post, sorry chaps, senior moment and all that.

07/11/2019 21:08:28
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/09/2018 15:10:12:

I'd suggest waiting to see what we announce in the next MEW before making any spending decisions

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have read through No 287 looking for some news of a cad package (suspecting it to be Alibre) but other than there advert on page 58 I can see nothing about cad software? What am I missing?

Thanks Ian

Thread: Another unfortunate milestone reached?
07/11/2019 19:15:50

If I remember correctly, I looked at Electro Motion when looking to buy my mill, I almost instantly left their site and went else where. I may be in a minority but whenever I am wanting to find and buy something I avoid companies that do not indicate a price, they have the time to type up a description as to how little it has been used etc but then want you to fill in an online form to request the price, why?

I guess it is sad that any machine supplier is shutting shop but luckily there are plenty still around selling good old fashioned machinery.

Thread: John Bogstandard's projects.
06/11/2019 18:48:52

Doh...

Thanks John.

06/11/2019 17:52:08

Just had one of those light bulb moments. I was a little late in coming to the party in respect of the well known and well loved JS. Just before his sad passing I was asking on the forum about cutting fine grooves in small internal bores and without my asking, the great man privately messaged me and said he would send me a tool to achieve the result I wanted, what a star. Anyway my light bulb moment is this (please bare in mind that my light bulbs rarely burn above 40 watt).

How about Neil running an article each month that covers some of Johns projects and thoughts, of course some will say not necessary but there would undoubtedly be a lot of knowledge made available for newbies and others who like myself have not been around on the forum for very long.

Neil what do you think?

Thread: New lathe next week
01/11/2019 20:35:37

I hope you enjoy playing with your new DB10, I have had one for a few years now and although it has done little work it does cut accurately (now) without a DRO.

There is some backlash in carriage and cross slide but not enough to cause any concern. I would suggest that you spend a bit of time making sure that it cuts absolutely parallel as it took me a couple of days to eliminate a very small taper, I also had to shim the compound slide as it was running downhill. All niggles that I put right and was then satisfied with the machines accuracy.

Thread: Gandalf is broken
22/10/2019 19:20:48

Epoxy resin with fine fibreglass matting chopped into very small pieces?

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
21/10/2019 20:41:00

I certainly won't be buying items from a supplier just because they attended the show. It would be very sad if the shows did stop but every trade supplier has the commercial right to choose how they market their products. As I didn't attend the show this year maybe I should point out that I have previously bought from Chester, RDG, Tracy Tools and ARC and will continue to do so regardless of their attendance or non attendance at shows.

Thread: Typical
19/10/2019 19:33:53

Swarfmaker, thank you, it would be right to say that I was confused or at least wrong about my interpretation of what autodesk were saying. The fact that the orange banner across the top keeps coming up despite re-registering added to my concern. I will certainly stick with it and thanks for explaining what's happening.

Thanks,

Ian

18/10/2019 20:12:43

Just as I start to get reasonable with using Fusion 360 it is now insisting that I am a start up and need to pay for continued use of the software, it is currently allowing me to use the software but I think that it won't be for much longer.

So can I ask how new users of alibre atom have found it ?

and is there still a special offer available to MEW subscribers?

Thanks,

Ian

Thread: Confession Time!
18/10/2019 18:52:46

During a recent clear out at an engineers workshop I started to remove small items from a magnetic knife holder (as used in kitchens). One item refused to budge, blimey that segment must be mega magnetic I thinks.....or maybe it was screwed on with the screw head then obscured so that it was not seen doh.....embarrassed

Thread: What are these pliers for
14/10/2019 22:32:50

Possibly hog ring pliers used by upholsters?

Thread: Help with a boxford c
14/10/2019 18:39:39

You know what, I have always had sound advice from fellow members on this forum and I think it would be wise to accept it. The lathe cuts just fine and accurate so I guess I just need to get used to seeing that belt going around and as pointed out the metal pins or studs don't touch the metal of the pulley.

As also pointed out, I could be creating a huge problem to solve a problem I didn't have, I will leave the motor for now as well as it also seems to be doing ok, I admit I am not one for heavy cuts and getting the right result is the aim.

So thank you once again for your help everyone.

My best regards,

Ian

13/10/2019 19:56:37

Thanks Nick, I will have to think it through, it's a lovely lathe to use but I am not sure I want to spend a lot on it so I will have to think it through.

Thanks Nick,

Ian

12/10/2019 21:40:03

Hi and thanks for all the help so far.

It would appear that to change the stud belt for a v belt I do indeed need to remove the spindle and possibly the back gear shaft, so as it appears to be cutting very nicely and accurately I will leave the belt..... for now.

Whilst re-assembling the lathe I have discovered that the previous owner used grease in all of the oiling points with nipples, thankfully everything seems to be working as it should . I have always believed that an oil should be used for lubrication on a lathe, should I use grease on this lathe or clean out the grease and oil/?

Finally I stripped the wiring cover, fan shroud etc on the motor, which is as follows;

Gryphon 0.5 HP with a cont rating of 1420 RPM and 3.4 Amps.

Could this be the original motor? Is teh very large capacitor to provide some sort of soft start? Should the motor bearings have grease in the extended oil points or oil ( I would have thought oil but I could be wrong).

Once again thanks for any advice.

Ooops forgot to say that the motor is not mounted underneath the lathe but alongside the headstock.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 12/10/2019 21:41:39

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 12/10/2019 21:43:54

08/10/2019 20:48:21

Hi,

Thanks for your help gents,

Nick, my lathe does have the facility to adjust the tension of the belt and it is working ok, I just kind of have a thing about metal rivet type things spinning around the pully's but if changing it for a v-belt type proves too much bother then I will look at using a power twist belt, thanks for the link.

David, yes they are both out but thank you pointing that out. I was thinking that maybe these were some sort of shrink fit, I will have another look and post back my progress or lack of it !

William, mine has the lever at the bottom of the bed under the head that slides the motor and transfer shaft in to change the speeds and adjust the tension, there is lateral movement available using slotted holes just as you say.

Once again, many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Ian

07/10/2019 21:20:05

Hi,

I have just taken ownership of an additional lathe, a Boxford 'C' type. It came with several chucks and lots of change wheels and some other tooling and runs quite nicely, I haven't set it up completely yet as I want to clean and adjust as required but there is one thing that has me beat. It currently has what I think is described as ' T link belt' which uses metal pins as the link. I am not very happy with this type of belt and would look to replace it but....... I can seem to get the motion shaft or transfer shaft out. Has anyone here performed such a task, I have removed grub screws from pullys etc but nothing seems to want to move and I don't want to get brutal with it.

Thanks,

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest