By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RichardN

Here is a list of all the postings RichardN has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How accurately can you machine?
06/06/2016 18:59:15

Has anyone on here any thoughts on the difference between these two methodologies for obtaining repeatability?

1- first cuts take relatively deeply- maybe 30thou/pass, then as you approach the final measurement make progressively lighter passes, 15thou, 5thou, then shave the last thou to suit.

2- take first cut at around 10thou, measure before and after so you know what that tool actually removes at a pass (which may vary due to sharpness, material, speed, time of day etc) then remove whatever amount is required allowing for a final pass or two at the 'known' depth of cut.

I assume 1 thou cuts with a dull cutter are just rubbing and polishing, so not guaranteed to be reliable and consistent?

06/06/2016 18:49:24

Vernier is allegedly French for very near.

I like the quote!!

I think it may have been Ivan Law or Sparey I was reading who was saying in the home workshop using mics and verniers as comparators is appropriate since absolute tolerances from parts made 'outside' are irrelevant- I tend to aim for the first part to be working within around a few thou, and make the second to fit- I don't have the luxury of time in chasing the last microns round the shop...

Edited By RichardN on 06/06/2016 18:50:23

Thread: Draughting Pens
21/05/2016 17:00:47
Posted by JasonB on 21/05/2016 13:14:45:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/05/2016 11:18:42:
Posted by JasonB on 21/05/2016 10:09:48:

If you are going to play on drafting film then use the correct nibs, the abrasive surface will quickly wear the standard nibs, you need the "film nibs" with the gold plated tips. Same goes if using the etching ink don't put that through a standard pen.

I'm trying to remember the (visual) difference, didn't film nibs have yellow on them?

That will be the gold end!

In the Isograph range the main body was grey rather than maroon and I think the earlier Variant had a grey end to the cap on the film version

Edited By JasonB on 21/05/2016 13:16:29

Unfortunately Rotring no longer make the 'gold' series for film- which from memory have a carbide tip for wear resistance rather than the conventional steel. I still have 2 gold pens, but the rest are conventional.

I am 30, work as an architect, and probably do 15% of my work by pencil & pen. There's a time and a place for everything (most things..?) and a romantic quality can be instilled in CAD work just as well as in a pen drawing- but it's quicker and easier by hand... Sketch and scribble for a first draft, work up detail in CAD, then final iteration for presentation with hand detail for the visual impact.

Thread: Flying Scotsman's schedule to be kept secret
14/05/2016 07:48:07

But if you do want to see the train, local newspapers help by publicising the route with outline times and dates!

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/14489030.display/

Thread: Help in identifying cutting tool
08/05/2016 20:42:22

Ah, many thanks for that- I had been considering chopping it up to keep the carbide on a simple shank for chamfering purposes... I will now have to keep it in the hope of one day finding enough of a holder to use it!

08/05/2016 19:56:59

Hello all.

Fairly new to this whole model engineering lark- but think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm making an Edgar Westbury Trojan, so started making a Harold Hall grinding rest to sharpen the tools to make the engine- and have spent the afternoon making a fly cutter to help make the rest to help make the engine... Very satisfying despite not actually making what I set out to do...

Anyway- picked this up at a carboot sale for free- I saw the glint of carbide in the bottom of a box of rust... The carbide has a roughly 80deg included angle, virtually no top rake, 1/4" along the longer edge, and a graduated dial behind the cutter. The threaded shank is approx 1/2" and pretty fine pitch.

Any one any idea what it is from/for?

Richard.

image.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest