By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adam

Here is a list of all the postings Adam has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Single DRO for 2 machines
15/07/2019 18:58:05

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used a single DRO module for 2 machines? I'm strapped for space and want a DRO on my Colchester chiomaster and my Chester 626.

Looking at the pictures the DRO uses a serial connector. You can buy serial switch boxes so wondering if anyone had ever done it?

Thread: Bench pillar drill or floor standing pillar drill
28/05/2019 06:01:17

Thanks for the responses everyone. I like the idea of the floor standing but using a cutout in the bench. I'll take a photo later off my workshop to give a better idea of what I'm working with.

27/05/2019 09:11:44

Hi everyone, I have 3 kerry super 8 drills (3 because I plan on restoring them) and only intend to keep one. I have one bench, one floor and one sort or in-between height one which is a solid pillar.

I'm building a little workshop and only have room for one but cannot decide if to go for floor or bench. Obviously I can fit taller items on the floor one, but what other pros and cons are there for bench and floor types?

Thanks

Thread: Warco vmc chester 626 lubrication
08/04/2019 21:04:30

Thanks Lathejack, it sounds like that's the issue. I just finished bedding the bearings in as the manual states and the oil has stopped but then it's been running in the lowest speed and not even warm after 40 minutes where as actual milling made it warm yesterday. I like the felt seal idea.

Regards

Adam

08/04/2019 18:45:53

Thanks for the responses. Looking at the manual it does talk about bedding in and running it for 20 minutes clockwise then 20 minutes anti at low speed then 5 minutes high speed. I'll do that and see what happens.

Cheers

08/04/2019 06:41:22

It's only a few years old and had next to no use if any. The table still had the wax paper, hopefully it just needs a seal or something simple like that. But looking at the spares list there is no such part

07/04/2019 18:17:43

Hi all, I've been a busy bee playing with my new mill, really please with it. I downloaded the manual but it is not very thorough on lubrication Particularly interested in the quill and bearings. When the machine is running thick brown grease is sprayed out from the botoom of the quill. Is this normal and if not should there be an oil seal? How do others lubricate? dsc_0473.jpg

Thread: Chester 626 and Warco VMC spindle size
02/04/2019 15:45:11

Tha ks Phil, I appreciate that. I'm not too fussed about the mt3 drills as I don't recall needing them on a drill, only for boring on the lathe. I do use mt2 drills a lot but I can simply machine the tang off the mt3-mt2 adaptor. I just did another job on the mill, custom engine mounts and it's so nice to work with.

01/04/2019 21:37:51

dsc_0448.jpg

01/04/2019 21:35:59

Well this evening I made a longer draw bar, Whitworth one end and m12 the other so I can just turn it around whenever I need to change tooling. Took my first cuts and it is so much more sturdy than my old little mill drill. Liking it so far!

01/04/2019 11:37:50

This is when you look up into it. I called Chester and they said you can't put morse taper drills in the machine. I assume it's the same for warco units too. So my mt3 drill chuck won't fit either, but my draw bar is too short to reach my boring head and collet holder so I do wonder if its been machined slightly short. No matter I can make a longer draw bar easily.

01/04/2019 11:35:23

dsc_0446.jpg

01/04/2019 08:21:32

Thanks guys. I measured the depth of the mt3 hole and its 85mm. I managed to take a photo of the inside but I can't seem to upload it

It looks like it's just a few mm too short for the drills to fit as when I install them there is only slight sideways play but you can feel its bottomed out too. There is no slit milled in the top for tang tang of the drills.

31/03/2019 21:44:14

Hi, yes the straw bar is removed. When I look up into the spindle it has the taper and it just ends with a hole for the draw bar. I wonder if the taper was not machined deep enough as the supplied draw bar doesn’t reach my tooling. A longer draw bar I can make or buy a replacement spindle. I wonder if anyone would know the depth of their mt3 spindle.

31/03/2019 20:24:39

Hi everyone, I just acquired an as new chester 626 aka warco vmc with a mt3 spindle. I can't fit a mt3 drill bit in as the flat on the end seems to hit something (like it's too long) but my mt3 collet holder and borer fit OK. Is this normal for these machines? It's as though the hole for the draw bar is too narrow for the nib on the end of the drill bits. Otherwise Im please with this machine whom I purchased from another user on here (big thanks).

Thanks

Thread: Colchester chipmaster rebuild
23/09/2018 19:11:08

Hi Ian, didn’t have any real issues in the build, to align the head I used the Morse taper attachment for the headstock. As you say I’ve heard it’s rare but I have one. I then used a centre on the rail stock with a known straight bar and used a dti on the saddle and measured, adjusted and measured.

Seemed to work. I didn’t require any seals apart from the oil seal in the gearbox which was cheap.

When it came to the rebuild I just started with the carriage and just stripped everything one piece at a time. Do too much at once and it gets confusing.

The tail stock didn’t have any rocking motion and went together easily. Is your model the dial gauged type? Mine has both imperial and metric.

14/09/2018 01:07:25

I got the oil from eBay. Was cheap too.

Thread: WT2527 15cc Glow Engine
09/09/2018 21:20:23

That all looks brilliant. I shall be watching for updates

Thread: Colchester chipmaster rebuild
09/09/2018 21:13:55

So in conclusion, whilst this lathe is not completely finished as it requires a little more paint it is finished in terms of being able to turn and cut. I’m very very happy with this beast and once my classic mg is at the painter I can spend more time getting the shed insulated, installing a proper milling machine and getting the too long storage sorted. I’ll keep posting as I go along.

09/09/2018 21:11:35

The handle was an interesting first project. At first glance it seemed easy but it required facing, taper turning and screw cutting and using a slitting saw on my Kerry super 8 converted mill. For a novice it was rather interesting to do. I think it came out well. The outer handle is stainless steel and the inner bolt is mild steel. I wanted the handle to rotate like the others on this lathe. I found the surface finish was excellent and the lathe could take very big cuts although those we just test cuts. dsc_0066.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest