By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jimmy b

Here is a list of all the postings jimmy b has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dore small boring bars
16/08/2017 07:55:51

towards the bottom of the page is more info on tuneable/anti-vibration bars

**LINK**

15/08/2017 14:29:46
Posted by duncan webster on 14/08/2017 22:01:54:
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 14/08/2017 20:14:20:

Hello,

I have just done some mathematical scribbling and surprisingly, the bar will bend less for a given deflecting force if the central rod is under compression. I am a CGS man and looking up constants in MKS and even worse, modern units, gave me a headache.

So I don't know if the stiffening effect is appreciable at the compressive force applied by a grubscrew, but I suspect it is!

Andrew

You'll have to post your scribbling, I can't see how putting the centre under compression and the outside in tension changes the second moment of area, which is the important factor

You can get tunable boring bars, damps out the vibrations. **LINK**

Some bars are filled with fluid/springs. I've used some at work 25mm dia bars working 300mm deep and no chatter!

Thread: Workshop Walk
12/08/2017 13:31:46
They are multi spindle pillar drills. Spent 7 months of my apprenticeship on them......
12/08/2017 09:47:29
Interesting.

But one question remains for me!

Was it washing machine and if so, what's it for?
Thread: Centre drilling long length, small diameter bar
07/08/2017 07:15:26
I like the idea of bearings on the bar. You could even use 4 or 5 and run decent speeds.
Thread: Unexpected machining content on the TV
02/08/2017 09:41:31
Posted by mechman48 on 02/08/2017 09:11:53:

Watched same; surprised at it being a focal point for a few minutes most programmes wouldn't consider this point, but the presenter asked the question, & was answered very nicely, a few more people now have some idea of the checks with the dti. On the 'elf 'n' safety aspect... I was under the impression that workplace regs required that no one was to work on their own in industrial premises. I've worked many 1/2 shifts & weekends where it was required to have another person present even if they were a shop labourer, for safety reasons, who's to say that owner would be able to call for help if needed, even with other units next door... just an observation... maybe HASAW regs have changed since I was practicing... thinking

​George... Tech.I.O.S.H. ret.

I thought it was his own, (very good), business .

Thread: Fusion 360 Knurling - Efficiency?
25/07/2017 07:03:55
Excellent Alan.

I spent some time yesterday trying coils, but couldn't get it right. I'll be having a go later. Thanks
Thread: Bored. 5 weeks since been in the shed
16/07/2017 08:33:11
Thank you for the kind words. I've started to draw up the fixator in Fusion360, but struggling to concentrate. I intend to 3D print it when it's finished. I've already added a lot to my long list of "roundtoit" jobs!
16/07/2017 06:22:43
Well, the boredom and frustration are well set in now. Not been able to go in the shed for 5 weeks and could be 5 more MONTHS untill I can return! I can't even manage sitting at a table yet. I've had a fairly complex op on my knee,( fused knee, external fixator and muscle/skin grafts). Thankfully I only had 2 1/2 weeks in hospital. Fortunately Mrs jimmy is an excellent nurse! Moan over!
Thread: Feedback Sought - Beginner's Series
08/07/2017 16:29:51
I'd be happy to see it. I enjoyed the special magazine. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of basics
Thread: Car problems
02/07/2017 09:44:49
Posted by John Haine on 02/07/2017 08:58:58:

Neil, just to save reading the whole thread, are your wheels back on the road now and what was the problem?

Thanks, John.

yes, what was the problem and have you sorted it?

Thread: 3D printed soft jaws
28/06/2017 21:17:49
I quite like the idea of printing jaws with the correct profile, leaving small skim on face and bore/od.

Extra reinforcing webs could added etc.
28/06/2017 14:02:10
I would go for far thicker perimeters and greater infill. It's certainly something I'll think about using
28/06/2017 13:47:09
Interesting, now the shape has been explained. I use fusion360, modelled threads print very well. I've managed to get away with just running a grubscrew through the part. I use PLA. I've made quite a few special form soft jaws. I'd not thought of printing some, untill now!
Thread: New Axminster surface plate?
27/06/2017 06:48:22
I bought one of the small ones from axminster, on a special offer, about ?28. Only complaint I have, is I wished I'd bought the bigger one!
Thread: Does anyone know how many small lathes are sold a year??
13/06/2017 03:09:46

Bored and up early, (can't sleep, major surgery tomorrow sad), looking at lathes on ebay, just got me wondering.

How many mini-lathes do you think are sold in the UK/world a year??

How many "home shop" lathes etc??

How many Myfords were made/sold in UK/world? (some one must know that one!

Thanks

I'll get back to twiddling my fingers yes

Thread: Model Engineers Workshop Lost The Plot
11/06/2017 05:54:43

Lost the plot?

You probably have. Or been on the mardy nuts

Thread: Acquiring a wedge type quick change toolpost
24/05/2017 04:55:46

Arceurotrade **LINK**

I've got them on both my lathes (model 000 and model 222).

So much better than the piston type!

Thread: Prusa i3 Build
19/05/2017 16:22:06
Posted by Colin Heseltine on 19/05/2017 14:46:35:

Has anyone on here had a look at, or use, the Fisher Delta 3D printer. They were on a stand at the Doncaster show last weekend. The build quality looked good (to me) but it was not printing at the time.

Wondering how the Delta type of printer compares to the Prusa i3.

Thanks,

Colin

I bought one at the Warwick show, last year. Been ok, but took some fetling. They are only as good as the build!

Not sure if I would buy the same again, ( it was £350). But the "delta" design is quite a good one.

Whatever you get, NEVER, NEVER buy cheap filament, use a trusted supplier.....

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
14/05/2017 10:16:46

I finished the rotary broach kit.

Quite chuffed with how well it works.

Only grip is the silversteel in the kit was the wrong size! (8mm is the only size I didn't have in the stock drawer!, but a quick trip up my mates sorted that!)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest