By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jimmy b

Here is a list of all the postings jimmy b has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 5C collet chuck, direct mount D1-3 or backplate?
26/05/2020 16:35:22

I'd be inclined to follow Clive's advice and go for an ER set up.

I have a ER40 set up, more versatile than 5C, in my opinion.

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
25/05/2020 04:47:54

This mornings efforts!

20200525_044147.jpg

Actually works quite well.

Jim

Thread: Aloris MXA QCTP for Super 7 lathe ? Maybe Myford brand QCTP ?
24/05/2020 19:22:54

David,

Have you looked at Arc's offering **LINK**

I have the "000" on my small lathe (SC4) and "222" on my Chester Crusader.

Very good QCTP!

Jim

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
23/05/2020 20:01:53

I spent some time drawing up and printing an ER40 collet, inspired by Neil's 3D printing book.

5 hours run time and looked perfect! Showed the wife and an over enthusiastic squeeze shattered the print.

Time for a drink!

Jim

Thread: A polite note to beginners from ARC
21/05/2020 04:51:17

I have been a customer of ARC for 11 years and spent a fair bit (having looked my previous order page, quite a bit!) on their products. I have been very happy overall.

I would say that around 60% of my spend is with them, the rest split between Ebay (China sales) and other UK suppliers. I know that if I buy from China, I take a chance and have a wait of between a week and 2 months. My choice.

I have nothing but praise for ARC and recommend them above anyone else (at least one person has bought a machine etc on my recommendation). I have been a "proper" engineer for 37 years and do this at work on £400,000+ machines and in my shed on machines costing 1% of that for fun. When I have ever asked specific questions of ARC they have been knowledgeable and honest.

Long may they continue!

My only criticism is that the discount codes usually appear after a large order has gone in..................

Jim

Thread: Carbide Insert Designations & Suppliers
10/05/2020 04:22:40

good starting point for info!

Jim

Thread: Ideal Extruder Temperature for PLA
07/05/2020 04:23:03

I run 205°C for the first layer/raft (if used) with no fan, then drop to 195°C, heated bed at 45°C.

The other thing to consider is the accuracy of the displayed temp, people do tend to believe digital as being correct!

Jim

Thread: Solid edge.
02/05/2020 08:18:28

I've had a play with it this morning. I have been able to import every file type I have and been able to save as any file type.

Jim

30/04/2020 19:49:27

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Jim

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
26/04/2020 10:46:16

Feedback can be reversed. I will leave a negative if I get no joy with a complaint, usually they will give a refund if you agree to change the feedback.

Jim

26/04/2020 03:10:19
Posted by Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:17:28:
Posted by Mick B1 on 25/04/2020 14:33:30:

It's even possible that the dial printing missed a process and the thing was rejected by Mitutoyo simply because it didn't have their logo on it, then sold on into whatever supply chain ultimately retailed it through the Bay.

These cheapo knock-offs have a whole different mechanism from the genuine Mitutoyos so no way they can be rejects from the real factory, or even made by an authorised subbie for Mitutoyo.

Giveaways include the finger pivot on a Mitutoyo is a tiny ball bearing while on the knock-offs its an adjustable pair of taper points with a threaded lock ring. Visible at a glance . On closer inspection, the Mitutoyo dovetails on the body for mounting clamp to grip on are machined. On the knock-offs they are poorly die cast. There is a difference on the bezel too, I forget exactly what but believe it was the knurling when I checked out mine against the real thing some years ago.

Edited By Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:20:59

Edited By Hopper on 26/04/2020 00:21:34

Well observed Hopper. The bezel on the "knockoffs" is nothing like any genuine Mitutoyo! (I have a couple of real Mitutoyo's). Also, the box, instructions, test cert and mounting lugs are all different in the cheapies.

Jim

25/04/2020 17:32:43

Is it really worth the hassle?

Mitutoyo will not be interested, most companies just can not spare the manpower to chase these knockoffs.

Jim

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
25/04/2020 11:42:52

I just don't get this continued Banggood, Ebay knocking!

Don't buy cheap stuff and then be surprised if it turns out to be total crap!

A lot of the "cheap" branded stuff on Ebay and car boot sales, IS stolen from factories. Who would buy tooling for hundreds and then sell it for a few quid? We have had problems with theft at work, no doubt it becomes the "bargains" that people like to boast about.

Rant over....for now.

Jim

Thread: 4 jaw Independent for a 7x12
25/04/2020 07:24:30

I'd stick with Arc,

Jim

Thread: Fake Mitutoyo indicator on Ebay
24/04/2020 15:45:56

My cheapies are still going well after 3 years!

Mitutogo and Miluloyo "brand".

20170520_065418.jpg

Jim

23/04/2020 19:31:42

I have a few of these "fakes", ideal for rough clocking and then the real Mitutoyos get used.

Jim

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
18/04/2020 17:25:12

3D printing with "TPU" could be an option, to replace the failed rubber. I have has very good results with this material!

Jim

Thread: Identifying carbide tips
11/04/2020 18:17:28

here is a good online resource

Jim

Thread: Coronavirus
10/04/2020 16:39:06
Posted by not done it yet on 10/04/2020 16:05:41:

A few simple statistics.

Currently, 83% of terminal casualties have been over 60 years old. That alone has likely saved over 50 million per annum, just in basic old age pension payments. 19% of the population are old age pensioners - over 10 million of us! If half were eventually to succumb, the savings on basic government pensions would go a long way towards the one-off cost of the lock-down, over the coming years.

Then add in the NHS burden of old wrinklies, pensions saved from private schemes (less taxation income, of course) and the figures start to escalate/complicate. We can only see the ‘tip of the iceberg’ of how it may effect the future economy.

No doubt the government has predicted (or can predict) these scenarios by computer modelling - but it would not be made public.🙂 It clearly would not want to make population losses even higher, by overloading the NHS (fewer of the working fraction dying - like how would Boris have fared if he had been unable to be treated in hospital?). Spreading the fatalities over a longer period (the same number of fatalities, eventually?) is the clear stated government strategy.

I am just hoping a cure, or vaccine, becomes available - before I get infected.

Hardly a case of money being saved.

We will pay for this, for a long time.

Thread: Easter holiday in Tintagel? Bring your own.
05/04/2020 16:08:27

I have sat in all day (bit of time in the shed), the majority of people walking past the house are in the 70+ age group!

I fully expect to hear on Monday that we are only allowed out for work and food shopping.

The wife works in a shop and is serving the same people every day, with such essentials as bars of chocolate or pack of chewing gum!

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest