By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jimmy b

Here is a list of all the postings jimmy b has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Easter holiday in Tintagel? Bring your own.
05/04/2020 16:08:27

I have sat in all day (bit of time in the shed), the majority of people walking past the house are in the 70+ age group!

I fully expect to hear on Monday that we are only allowed out for work and food shopping.

The wife works in a shop and is serving the same people every day, with such essentials as bars of chocolate or pack of chewing gum!

Jim

Thread: Wow, what a battery
04/04/2020 20:28:27

I've had some ER collets from Ebay recently, £4 for a set of 13 ER11 and a collet chuck, run out claimed to be 0.08mm. The worst was 3mm!

Have I complained? No, what did I expect? Just took a punt, 4 were "ok", if their use mattered, I would have got quality ones.

I just fail to see why people seem bothered when something very, very cheap is crap, what did they think it would be?

Jim

04/04/2020 20:28:26

I've had some ER collets from Ebay recently, £4 for a set of 13 ER11 and a collet chuck, run out claimed to be 0.08mm. The worst was 3mm!

Have I complained? No, what did I expect? Just took a punt, 4 were "ok", if their use mattered, I would have got quality ones.

I just fail to see why people seem bothered when something very, very cheap is crap, what did they think it would be?

Jim

Thread: Chester lathe as my new lathe anyone
04/04/2020 17:19:30

I second Ales's advice. I took half a day out to go to Chester and have a proper measure up and get a feel for the lathe, after all I intend on having this machine for a very long time!

jim

04/04/2020 17:15:23
Posted by Mark Simpson 1 on 02/04/2020 11:11:20:

I bought a crusader deluxe 3 or 4 years ago, and it's my only lathe (at the moment ) I've made quite a lot of 6" traction engine bits on it including Crank shaft and turned some big castings, it was bought to replace a tired colchester student which needed a bed grind to do anything longer than a few inches. I looked at a lot of M300's etc. but all in my price range were pretty knackered, if I had 10k that's what I would buy.

The lathe is pretty well made, and you get a lot for the money, I added an ER40 collet chuck and DRO to the standard stuff. As someone said the chucks (esp 4 jaw) are big but that suits me fine.

I've just finished by Little samson crankshaft and only got a taper of the than .0005" over about 18" (and it's eccentric to machine) . Good enough for me

I've also fettled some bits, replaced allen screws with presto ones here and there and generally improved it. But I have used it since day2... it took some effort to get all of the packing grease/oil of it.

The accessories were pretty crap tbh, The fixed steady was off centre by 20mm and 18mm low. The bed stop was so rough internally the micrometer part could not rotate, but they weren't too hard to fix properly. If I had checked them when I got them I woudl have just sent them back.

They were pretty poor on communications, the lathe turned up unannounced on the back of a truck one day, no advice note despite quite a lot of asking. One bit was missing, arrived 24 hours later when I asked them for it.

Get everything you might want with it, check it fits.... my efforts to get soft jaws even 6 months later were fruitless, but they offered 10% off a new chuck with some soft jaws...

I like the lathe, the whole "customer experience"... not so much

Mark,

I had the same problem with soft jaws (i needed them for several jobs). I rang Chester to order and was told that there were none for that chuck! I told them I would reject the lathe and they responded by sending a new chuck and a set of soft jaws!

Jim

Thread: Machinery's Handbook
03/04/2020 04:44:35

I'll probably sell my 30th ed once the new one arrives.

Only leaving the house for work is harder than I thought. The garden needs sorting, but its not that important that a trip to the DIY stores could be considered as essential!

As the weeks roll on, I'll be glad of the extra reading material!

Jim

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
03/04/2020 04:34:13
Posted by Howard Lewis on 02/04/2020 14:39:08:

Does anyone think that credit will given to the engineering companies who have rejigged all their procedures and machines to make valves, ventilators and parts for them?

Howard

I think they will. Some of our sub contractors have taken on the challenge, nothing but support from us and other companies. If we could have helped, we would.

We are managing to stay open and have a chance of keeping going. So many companies will fail over the next few months.

Jim

Thread: Machinery's Handbook
02/04/2020 16:32:55

31st edition is now out, given recent events, I have decided to treat myself!

Jim

Thread: Chester lathe as my new lathe anyone
01/04/2020 19:56:12

Jack,

The lathe has been fantastic. I upgraded to VFD variable speed set up last year (which at £600, was expensive, but totally transformed the lathe).

Its been reliable and a pleasure to use. I would recommend fully going over it after buying, very very sloppy assy!

I have done a lot of minor mods and I'm happy to share the info, drop me a pm if you want more info.

Jim

01/04/2020 17:40:49

I bought a Crusader 8 years ago, after sales and machine prep crap, lathe its self is fantastic!

Jim

Thread: Arc Euro and Coronavirus
29/03/2020 16:07:28

In the coming days, I expect more companies to close. Very big companies consider themselves to be "essential", as Grum says, this is more about profits and their place in a market.

As this situation continues, I question my company's stance on staying open, we have lost 25% of our workforce, so far.

Jim

Thread: RDG Tools indexable boring bar
28/03/2020 12:34:15

These are deigned to to locate on the flat. Centre height is at the cutting edge of the insert.

Jim

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
25/03/2020 19:07:29

Thank you Neil.

looking forward to read.

Jim

Thread: Resin 3D Printer first results.
24/03/2020 18:14:00

The quality is fantastic. Makes me want one!

Are their fumes etc with one of these?

Jim

Thread: Coronavirus
23/03/2020 05:46:07

I'm appalled at society's reaction. The old lady (94), across the road, has had a constant stream of visitors, our neighbour's had a family party (2 of the attendees work as nurses, 1 is a doctors receptionist).

People need to grasp the seriousness of this situation and stop being so bloody selfish.

Jim

Edited By jimmy b on 23/03/2020 05:46:39

Thread: Digital callipers shows time not distance
22/03/2020 06:29:32
Posted by Joules on 22/03/2020 04:56:08:

Jimmy, would you be a Leprechaun by any chance.

No Joules!

Mitutoyo give them away free. You ony have to spend £100,000 on a CMM to get one!

Jim

21/03/2020 20:27:27

2.jpg1.jpgMine does the same.........

Jim

Thread: Coronavirus
21/03/2020 12:23:01

We will all pay for this, for a long time.

Not sure how dumping this on one sector of society is fair, much like this senseless stockpiling.

I dread to think what will happen to industry over the next few months, we lost 10% of our workforce in 3 days!

I'll just carry on, as we all should, follow the government's advice and make the best of it.

Jim

Thread: Now is a good time
21/03/2020 07:35:34

I wouldn't dare tell my insurance company what my shed is worth!

Jim

Thread: Sanitizer
20/03/2020 16:10:15
Posted by Tim Stevens on 20/03/2020 15:52:05:

No-one has suggested (or have they?) that if alcohol attacks the virus the best approach would be to take the alcohol internally. Single malt virus killer - sounds good to me.

Tim

Tim,

It's working for me, illness free and 100 bottles of wine left!

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest