By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Greene

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Greene has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I dropped it
07/05/2021 17:14:02

One of these and/or these.

Essential for any shop.

Thread: Shipping to the EU - beware!
07/05/2021 16:46:20
Posted by Mike Poole on 06/05/2021 12:36:46:

Consider that there are 160 ish countries outside the EU I wonder if they all have the same problems? Maybe we are being given the “special” treatment.

5 years or so ago, the situation here (Canada) was that when ordering from out of the country Canadian taxes were not charged, Canada itself being considered responsible for collecting its own taxes.

That the EU countries collected each others' taxes was an EU thing that was part of their agreement but did not extend outside the EU.

It's mostly the same now but things have changed here slightly in that certain purchases in the US now attract Canadian taxes at source and the list is growing. It looks (to me) that, ultimately, taxes for destination countries will be collected at source (in the shipping country) for all countries that have signed up. Which will be most countries.

06/05/2021 01:55:14
Posted by Gerhard Novak on 05/05/2021 22:42:26:

I am pretty sure some of the 'import charges' are going direct into the pockets of the forwarding companies, using every excuse to make money.

In that respect, this might be of interest

Thread: Phone Caller ID does not work
04/05/2021 17:47:58

Posted by Stuart Smith 5 on 04/05/2021 11:01:45

:......Any number not in the list gets a recorded message asking who is calling........Scammers and nuisance callers don’t respond

Can't speak for the UK, but on this side of the pond the only spammers/scammers that don't respond in those circumstances are the ones that play a pre-recorded message and ask you to press a button. Just a subset of the total nuisance calls.

Any live caller will respond.

04/05/2021 01:55:18
Posted by Clive Foster on 03/05/2021 21:56:18:

Letting the answering machine screen your calls is pretty effective.

Not if you have someone in the house who cannot not-answer a ringing phone.sad

03/05/2021 18:38:17
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 03/05/2021 17:37:33:

It will not stop until there is a change in legalisation will this happen doubt full to much money rapped up in it

Not only a change in legislation but enforcement of said legislation. And that's the rub if most of the calls are from outside the country.

This is really old news on this side of the pond (Canada) Has Auntie been asleep all these years? The callers invariable spoof local area codes so as to look like something you might want to answer. There was some legislation recently passed to outlaw that, which has made absolutely zero difference - unsurprising when the calls originate in South Asia and the governments there can't/won't do anything.

The only way is to hit the telephone companies and make them responsible for the spam/scam calls they carry.

Thread: Strange Plug Gauge Sizes?
03/05/2021 16:04:52

Maybe go/no-go gauges (incomplete set)

Thread: Workshop and Drilling holes with an ER collet chuck
02/05/2021 19:18:56

I have several sizes of drill chuck fitted with 1/2" (parallel) arbors. I just put one of those an ER-25 collet on my mill. If I need more height (occasional) I put the drill straight in the collet.

Thread: My new computer
01/05/2021 20:04:20
Posted by Bazyle on 01/05/2021 18:24:26:

..... El Paso is in America, just not USA.

You mean Texas isn't part of the USA anymore? When did that happen?

Thread: Ancestry.com
29/04/2021 18:08:13

I have never let anyone bill recurring payments to either my credit card or bank account. To me that puts all the power in the hands of the Merchant in case of dispute. At the very least, it puts all the onus on me.

If the Merchant refuses to agree to a more acceptable (to me) way of doing it (such as a monthly bill or an account number that I can pay of my own volition using online banking) I refuse his business. (It's quite surprising what you can do without).

Edited By Peter Greene on 29/04/2021 18:10:57

Thread: Covid, DNA and Fred
26/04/2021 01:53:05
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 25/04/2021 21:17:35:

Unfortunatly we are not holding on to engineering in biotech. I once worked for a small british company who were world leaders in some of the automatic instruments used in genome sequencing and research. They floated on the stock exchange and a few years later were taken over by a big American group and a couple of years later the UK operation was closed down.

Interesting ..... Exactly the same thing happened to me in Canada although in this case the "big group" was Bayer (" which must be pronounced 'Byer' " ... under pain of something or other).

Thread: Bookmarking Threads
23/04/2021 01:37:45

OK, I see the problem now.

There are duplicate selections.

the first is a little check-box which says

" Send me email notifications when someone replies to this thread (This will add the thread to your Bookmarks list) " (this is the - original - one that I've traditionally used for years).

The second is a clickable link at the bottom which says "Bookmark this thread". I never noticed this before: don't know when it got added.

Edited By Peter Greene on 23/04/2021 01:38:48

22/04/2021 22:11:18

It only works for me if I post a message to the thread.

That's why I asked.

22/04/2021 18:58:16

Can one bookmark a thread without actually making a post to it?

Thread: Soldering Electrical Connections to NASA standard
22/04/2021 16:21:45
Posted by Ady1 on 22/04/2021 08:24:31:

I couldn't find the words 'cost' 'price' or 'dollar' anywhere in that document

That, and a million other technical documents. I find it curious that you would expect to.

You should get out more.

Edited By Peter Greene on 22/04/2021 16:25:12

22/04/2021 16:06:17
Posted by Anthony Kendall on 22/04/2021 11:10:57:

If you've worked for the Americans you know they produce bull***t like this all the time but never comply with it.

Can't speak for today but I worked, as a Mechanical Engineer, on a number of NASA programs in the 60's and 70's and companies absolutely did comply with the soldering spec.

Moreover, it wasn't sufficient simply to comply with the spec. The solderer himself had to be certified, which meant a week or so training at the NASA soldering school and successful passing of their tests. The earlier version of this spec (NHB 5300) was an absolute "watchword" at the time .... that document number was known by all. It was a Big Thing. Somewhere I have a copy if the gremlins didn't get it.

Other industries/companies may (or may not) be lax, but the space business certainly wasn't one of them.

Edited By Peter Greene on 22/04/2021 16:08:03

Thread: Macro-photography
20/04/2021 01:34:35

'Viewmaster' you mean? They were fun to make yourself with the Viewmaster camera and matching cutter. The cameras used to be in fair supply (used) but the cutters were as scarce as hens' teeth (and demanded a commensurate price). I had both at one time but (unfortunately) sold them years ago. You can still get the blank reels.

Much of the bottom has fallen out of the stereo camera hobby because they were film-based and film is no longer plentiful. OTOH if someone wants to do stereo in digital, some of the smaller digital cameras look ideal for two camera side-by-side mounting. That used to be done with film cameras but camera size was often an issue in getting proper separation.

19/04/2021 16:32:25
Posted by roy entwistle on 19/04/2021 13:15:36:

Stereo photographs are usually taken with the camera taking two photographs separated by about 2 3/4 inches and through crossed linear polarising filters .

Stereo photographs are "usually" taken as a pair by a stereo camera with two lenses and viewed in an appropriate viewer. If the subject is static enough, they may be taken as separate shots by a regular camera with lateral movement between shots.

I think the reference to polarising filters is confusing the taking of stereo pictures with projecting and viewing them on screen.

Thread: New Covid Rules
17/04/2021 23:01:24
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 17/04/2021 21:06:18:

Well, it's now April 2021

And we're back to somewhere we vaguely were in ummmm.... Last year.

Your lucky .... here's where we are in Ontario:

cv19-ont.jpg

Thread: How Many Barristers Needed To Change An Ink Cartridge?
16/04/2021 22:10:42

With a nod towards your original post, Steve, it's hard to see how HP can get away with rendering someone's property (the cartridge) unusable just because HP doesn't like it.

It smacks of the software developer who not only detected peoples unregistered, cracked versions of his software but loaded them a worm to pay them back.

Edited By Peter Greene on 16/04/2021 22:13:13

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest