By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Watch making video
05/12/2019 21:19:36

Having just watched This video I thought I must share it with you guys. I found it very interesting and I'm sure some of you will too. This guy is very talented especially considering his age. The audio is a bit messed up but still worth a watch. (pun intended).

Thread: Meddings pillar drill colour
05/12/2019 21:08:26
Posted by Vic on 05/12/2019 16:32:02:
Posted by Hollowpoint on 04/12/2019 20:30:37:

The Dark Green is hideous imo. Meddings offer a refurbishment service, they use a light blue colour. Looks great.

I actually thought Meddings used blue anyway, they must have changed colours in the past?

I wonder why so many machine tools were painted either Grey or Green? The last Harrison M300 they bought where I used to work was white, if not at least a very, very pale Grey.

After the war there was a huge surpluss of green paint, that explains why a lot of equipment from around the 50's was green!

05/12/2019 21:05:54
Posted by petro1head on 05/12/2019 16:30:17:

I have gone for smooth Hamerite blue

Colour

That's the colour! Much nicer than the hammerite dark green. Funnily enough I have one of these drills waiting for restoration so I'm watching with interest.

Some before and after pics would be good!

04/12/2019 20:30:37

The Dark Green is hideous imo. Meddings offer a refurbishment service, they use a light blue colour. Looks great.

Thread: Recommend a Small Parts Lathe for 2k.
01/12/2019 16:05:30
Posted by Mick B1 on 01/12/2019 10:34:33:

For all the stuff I do, I think the Warco WM250V I have now way outclasses the Myford Speed 10 (late type of ML10) in every respect I can think of.

It should be its 2-4 times more expensive.

I've had both the ML10 and a Mini Lathe so I am speaking from experience. I completely fail to see how anyone could believe they are even in the same league! Take my mini lathe for example, the bed, from new, is tighter at one end than the other! Properly ground? Not even close. It would take about a hundred years of use to wear the myford bed into that state! The only real advantage the mini lathe has is the larger internal spindle diameter but in this case its not needed

01/12/2019 16:01:44

Duplicate post

Edited By Hollowpoint on 01/12/2019 16:06:16

30/11/2019 23:18:38

The ML7 and super 7 are massively overrated and overpriced. Your photo proves that even rough ones can fetch a good price.

The ML10 on the other hand is much less popular and represents good value for money, they can be had for less than £500 which is about the price of a mini lathe. I don't know what you went to look at but I don't know how you can be unimpressed? Almost every ml10 I've ever seen has been in at least good condition. They where typically used by model engineers rather than industry so most have seen little use. In comparison to a mini lathe its like a Rolls Royce. No plastic covers, no plastic gears, no plastic handwheels a properly ground bed, proper motor and proper chuck. What's not to like? IMO they are actually a bit of a bargain.

I do agree that Boxford lathes beat them all hands down, it just doesn't fit with OP's requirements.

30/11/2019 13:11:12

I don't know why everyone is always quick to recommend new stuff. For small parts a Myford ML10 would be ideal and it will be higher quality than the Chinese stuff.

A £1000 will get you a minter. The spare £1000 will buy you all the accessories you will ever need.

Thread: aluminium troubles
25/11/2019 09:47:45

I'm no cnc expert but it doesn't look like you are doing anything wrong to me.

I would try some material from a different supplier. That way you will know one way or another if its a bad batch of aluminium.

Thread: "Mystery" Tool
24/11/2019 23:17:42

This is my smug face. 😇

24/11/2019 16:12:30

I imagine it's for holding or centering something in a 4 jaw chuck?

Thread: Mini Lathe Upgrade
24/11/2019 10:16:13

If it was my money I would be looking to upgrade to a larger machine. The mini lathes are OK but they lack rigidity. They do seem to hold there value though so that might help pay for the upgrade.

I can't comment on the db7 because I've never had one. I have had an ML10 though and it's a lovely machine! The biggest drawback as with the ML7 is the limited spindle bore. Not ideal if you are making motorcycle parts. My current lathe is a Boxford AUD which beats the others mentioned hands down. This would be a perfect choice for you as it has a good bore size and my own will part through most stuff with ease. An AUD would set you back £1000+ though. You might be lucky though and find a CUD or BUD within your budget. That would be my suggestion, the difference between your mini lathe and the Boxford would be noticeable.

Thread: Carriage Locks
24/11/2019 09:49:44

You are basically clamping the carriage down to the bed. The mini lathe for example uses a large t-nut under the ways which is pulled upwards by tightening a bolt passing through the carriage.

Thread: 3D printer recommendations
22/11/2019 22:59:34

I recently bought a 3d printer, after many hours of research and loads of recommendations I went with an Ender 3 Pro. I have not been disappointed with my purchase, it's a very nicely put together machine which seems way better quality than the meagre price tag would suggest, the print quality supprised me as it is really quite good! One of the things that swung it for me is that there is hundreds of spares, accessories and upgrades available for this machine at very reasonable prices. There is also a big support community which is a bonus if you ever need any help. I would readily recommend the Ender 3!

As for software. I use fusion 360 and cura. Both good, both free.

Thread: Cold Blue
19/11/2019 21:09:47

I agree with mick. I used to be well into my shooting and g96 is the best, and I've tried plenty. Parts need to be spotless before blueing. Washing with ordinary Wasing up liquid and warm water works for me. Then oil or rub over with renaissance wax.

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
11/11/2019 16:38:38
Posted by Iain Downs on 11/11/2019 07:05:51:

Thanks, Hollowpoint.

I suppose I also wanted to ask what it was about the VMC which generated such positive feedback? Is it just the sheer mass of the beast (nearly half a ton!) or is there something about a knee which makes the mill better?

Related to that - the specs show a table size of 660mm but a lateral movement of only 370 which is on the lower side of the mills I'm looking at. what does it do with the other 290mm?

Iain

Edited By Iain Downs on 11/11/2019 07:07:53

It's just a well built lump of iron and to me it seems more rigid than others in the same price range. One of the factors that did it for me though is the simple belt and pulley arrangement. The gear head mills make much more noise and if you managed to strip a gear it means you are out of action for a while. On the VMC if I snap a belt (and its very unlikely) I can find something in any common a garden motorspares. The pulley setup also lends itself to easy conversion to a VFD if I choose to at a later date.

10/11/2019 22:48:16

I use this type on my VMC. They are more than accurate enough for my needs and not expensive.

10/11/2019 10:34:19

I purchased a lathe from amadeal. The guy at the other end of the phone was pleasant and helpful. I asked If I could choose a different colour since I didn't like the white/navy they supply as standard. He was happy to supply one of the other colours they usually reserve for the more expensive full setups. The lathe was delivered next day as promised. There was some minor damage from transport when it arrived but after a quick call they agreed to send replacement parts, which they did very quickly. From my experience with them I would happily recommend them.

As for a milling machine, go for the VMC if you can afford it. It's a great machine! 

Edited By Hollowpoint on 10/11/2019 10:36:07

Thread: Painting! There one day, gone the next!
09/11/2019 19:15:47

There is an excellent video on YouTube about finishing aluminium. IIRC it was one of Dan Gilbert's videos.

The best finish Ive ever managed on aluminium was by shot blasting and then using acid etch primer afterwards. One of the things I learned from the video was that you must paint aluminium very soon after preparing the surface as it starts to form an oxide layer within hours.

Thread: Carbon steel taps and dies
02/11/2019 14:48:11

Nothing wrong with carbon steel but HSS is much better imo. Have you tried looking on ebay for new old stock? You can sometimes pick up top quality presto, dormer, guhring etc for about the same price as carbon. 😉

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
cowbells
Meridienne Dec 5th 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest