By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unimat SL Circular Saw Arbour
15/02/2020 16:51:22
Posted by norman royds 2 on 15/02/2020 16:20:00:

the dimensions are overall is length 55 mm diameter19 mm and there is collar the first measurment 45 &half mm & the second is 50 mm and collar dimensions 25 mm & size of peg on the front 16mm &the length 5mm the front is threaded the same as the spindle and at the front is tapped 8mm &there is a recessed washer I hope this helps regards NR

Brilliant that is absolutely perfect! 👍 Everything I needed to know and more! Thank you very much for taking the time to measure the part for me. I appreciate your help very much indeed. I am now one happy bunny. Cheers! 😀

15/02/2020 16:17:55

I will try, though im not sure how these groups work?

15/02/2020 14:41:35

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have a unimat sl circular saw / slitting saw arbour that they could take some measurements off please? I've scoured the web for hours without success!

The part I need dimensions for is in the picture below. I just need overall length, length without cap/washer fitted and diameter. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thread: Cleaning an old lathe
14/02/2020 19:40:13

I clean a lot of old machinery, one of the best things for dried on oil is paint thinners! Obviously it will also destroy your paintwork if you aren't very carful. But is worth a try on the unpainted parts.

If you want to risk it on the painted parts apply a bit to a rag or cotton bud for the hard to reach parts and scrub quickly before cleaning off immediately with soapy Water.

Thread: Did i make the right choice buying an old banger Myford lathe.
14/02/2020 19:27:21

Ive had many lathes, chinese, myford, boxford, raglan, cowells, emco etc. My brutally honest opinions of the ones ive had are as follows: the Chinese lathes are not much better than tat. Myfords are good but overrated. Emco are OK, raglan are very underrated, Boxford and Cowells are superb.

Thread: Screwcutting on the lathe
12/02/2020 20:44:27
Posted by not done it yet on 12/02/2020 08:25:13:

Hollowpoint,

You are a true hobbyist - not bothered about time and simply enjoy getting to the end product.

(a thread in this case).

Percy Verence was good at what he did, for that very reason. He always managed to get the job done eventually.

Lots of things are akin to building a house with a pack of cards. If you are missing any of the layers, the top ones will collapse - or not be supported properly, thereby making it difficult to finish the job.

If you miss out on the basics, the harder parts can become overwhelmingly difficult. That is the way I look at maths, for instance. If Percy had cried off at the first hurdle he would not have achieved as much as he did.

I'll take that as a compliment 🙂

I think we (engineer types) are all guilty of over complicating things at times. I know I do. This is when we get frustrated. Having a go and making mistakes is the best way to learn anything!

11/02/2020 23:10:28

I must be the odd one out, I don't find screw cutting difficult at all. I picked it up quite quickly and I actually really enjoy the process. I'm no expert though and its probably because I don't bother getting bogged down with all the technical details. I've always cut threads with the cutter at 90 degrees to the work and just go slow and steady, I use the handwheel graduations as nothing more than a guide. Trying to make accurate measurements with them is ridiculous in my opinion, especially when you have backlash, deflection and machine flex to consider. Just keep checking the thread with a thread guage or by screwing a nut on until it feel right. Very few of us need perfectly formed nasa grade threads! Keep it simple.

Thread: Tool post for Myford ML10 lathe
08/02/2020 17:34:56

I don't mean to be rude but you seem to be very new to machining? If so I would suggest searching youtube for videos for beginners. I've linked to an old but excellent series below produced by MIT. If you are anything like me, I learn better from watching than reading. Engineering can seem a little daunting at first but you will soon pick up the basics.

MIT Engineering Video Series

Thread: TCMT0902 Inserts
08/02/2020 17:08:48

The screws are available on ebay, I use 8mm or 10mm tools on the mini lathe but thats because I have a qctp fitted, I can fit upto 12mm but sometimes depending on the cutter the tip can be over centerline.

Thread: Tool post for Myford ML10 lathe
07/02/2020 23:22:53

Chronos, Warco and RDG tools sell a myford 7 toolpost that will probably fit, its also known as a t37 toolpost.

Thread: myford ML10
07/02/2020 09:59:23

Anywhere between £500-£800 I would suspect. Depending on condition and equipment.

I sold one last year for £800, though that one was immaculate and had the original bench. 

Edited By Hollowpoint on 07/02/2020 10:00:55

Thread: 4 Jaw Independent Chuck For The Sieg C0 Baby Lathe.
28/01/2020 16:57:31
Posted by Patrick Heffer on 27/01/2020 17:53:47:

Thanks for the help regarding uploading the pictures Michael. To be honest the lathe is a big boy's toy really but who cares as I like it 😉

I feel exactly the same about my Unimat, but there is something very satisfying about making stuff on tiny machines!

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 09:11:39
Posted by Steviegtr on 27/01/2020 01:06:27:

I have been & am a member of many forums. But this one is very special in that if you need help, you get expert info. Which is very good. But if you post any info of your own there are lots of negative comments. Is it the old mans, I know better & do not need any new input. This is going to be bad I know but come on give it your six peneth.

Ditty. I remember fish & chips being 1 & a penny what do you remember.

Steve.

I completely agree, I often give my opinions and include logic and reason but some seem to think anything that differs from their own advice is wrong. Take the following common debates:

New machines vs old

Carbide vs hss

Morse taper vs r8

If you answered old, carbide and morse taper you are categorically wrong im the eyes of some people. 🙄

Thread: Unimat Fretsaw set up
26/01/2020 21:53:19

I have one if these fretsaws for my unimat, well actually 2 but one is missing the d shaped arm. The other is practically brand new and came with an unopened packet of blades. The blades look like jewellers/piercing saw blades rather than the more common and slightly larger fret/scroll saw blades.

25/01/2020 21:18:49
Posted by 34046 on 25/01/2020 19:20:10:

The smaller one is the same price so £2.40 times times 2 equals £4.80 so not sure how you arrived at £7.20 ?

Bill

Edited By 34046 on 25/01/2020 19:21:09

Edited By 34046 on 25/01/2020 19:23:41

They both have Unimat SL's.

Unimat sl large belt £3.60

Unimat sl small belt £3.60

£7.20 plus postage.

25/01/2020 17:23:26
Posted by 34046 on 25/01/2020 13:33:37:
Posted by Chris Vickers on 25/01/2020 13:22:58:

I'm sure Ive seen belts available on eBay.

Cheers

Chris

Currently listed on ebay at TWICE the price of Emco ones from Pro Machine Tools which is why I mentioned it.

Like for like rubber as opposed to poly.

Bill

Edited By 34046 on 25/01/2020 13:35:06

A set of 2 butyl rubber belts are £7.20 plus postage from pro machine tools.

A set of 2 polyurethane belts is £8 delivered from ebay.

Not twice the price, and polyurethane is superior quality.

Thread: Where Can I Get Machine Handles?
24/01/2020 16:58:27

Thats the one, WDS! I'll take a look. Thanks. 

I can make the handles if I need to, I was just hoping they where so cheap it wasn't worth while. 🤞😊

Edited By Hollowpoint on 24/01/2020 16:58:52

Edited By Hollowpoint on 24/01/2020 16:59:27

24/01/2020 11:24:05

Im looking for some handles for a milling machine, not the complete thing just the little knobs that screw in. The ones I need are 3/8 whitworth thread.

Someone posted a link to a website on here a while back which had loads at very reasonable prices. But I cannot find tbe thread anywhere.

Anyone know?

Thread: Help choosing my lathe
23/01/2020 09:28:37

Im a metric man (33). Im not great at imperial measurements but I get by. My lathe (boxford) is imperial but its never bothered me. When I turn a part I tend to creep up on the dimension and keep checking with a caliper anyway. I also have the 127 tooth gear for cutting metric threads.

Thread: Sent lathe back
22/01/2020 18:40:04

You did well ti find all those accessories so quickly! Let us know how you get on with the lathe!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest