By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: my new second hand lathe
11/07/2020 19:02:55

Very interesting little lathe, and a rather unusual design.

I always find Russian engineering interesting. They seem to look at things very differently from how the west does. Very much function over form.

Thread: Small drill bits, <<1mm
06/07/2020 10:54:06

I find small drills need to be good quality. Because they are so fragile they need to be sharp.

Personally I would shop around on ebay for new old stock. Top brands like dormer, presto, guhring, osborn, cleveland etc.

Thread: What is this cutter used for?
04/07/2020 18:05:48
Posted by S.D.L. on 04/07/2020 17:19:04:

Revers sice chamfering tool on CNC. for deburring the far side?

steve

That could be a good shout!

04/07/2020 16:36:07

Picked up this cutter in a joblot of other stuff. On first glance I thought it was just a small dovetail cutter. On second glance I can see it has a small step on the ramped part of the dovetail and also it has flutes on the bottom face. What would this be used for? Gear cutting perhaps? It is made from solid carbide and looks expensive.

Edited By Hollowpoint on 04/07/2020 16:38:37

Thread: Buying first lathe
27/06/2020 15:11:14
Posted by Steviegtr on 27/06/2020 14:08:41:

Well having had both a Boxford & now a Myford, i thought both machines were well made. Why slag a Myford. Why is a Boxford better.

As for Chinese made ones of which i have not had. I think there are some that are well made & fine. Some are not so good but at what price. Rolls Royces for ten bob is not going to happen.

Steve.

I'm not slagging the Myford they are nice machines but they have gained almost a cult following and the prices are getting a bit daft.

The Boxford is better IMO because it has prism ways, taper roller headstock bearings, larger diameter spindle bore, usually a more powerful motor and is generally of more robust construction all round.

27/06/2020 13:54:01

Sometimes I despair at the nonsense some of you talk. 🙄 You are so suspicious.

Firstly I doubt this is a trader, they would have likely parted out the accessories to increase profit. But even if it was that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the worst machines ive ever seen have belonged to self proclaimed "model engineers". You know the type, the people who think they are experts but in reality are messers and bodgers. A good trader will know what faults to look for beforehand.

With that in mind the advice should have been "go have a look at it" run the saddle up and down, wiggle the parts around to test for play, turn it on see if it sounds ok and give it a try. It's the same thing you would do if you where buying a second hand car.

My personal advice? forget the chinese stuff, especially at the lower end. The quality control is appalling. You can't fix something that was never built properly in the first place. At least the old stuff was built correctly to start with. PS. I am 34 and speaking from experience not from nostalgia. My second piece of advice is to forget the Myford, look for a Boxford. They are superior in every way yet cost about the same secondhand and most of them have only seen light use in schools and colleges.

A lathe is quite a unique piece of machinery. It needs to be both a swiss watch and a bulldozer. 

Edited By Hollowpoint on 27/06/2020 13:56:52

Thread: Brexit No Deal - WTO duty on EU machines/tooling?
16/06/2020 15:29:26

Lets hope we get good trade deals with the USA and Japan. There is plenty of top quality tooling available in the US I would like to get my hands on given half a chance!

Thread: Hermes Parcels
10/06/2020 12:03:00

Having been an online seller for over 15 years I've had plenty of experience with most of the parcel delivery companies.

I can tell you Hermes is way down the list in terms of service. I used to use them a lot but after I started monitoring their performance I dropped them like a hot rock. I found more than 1 in 50 parcels was being lost or damaged! That might not sound alot but compare that to Royal Mail which is more like 1 in 1000 and you get the idea.

If you want my advice. Stick with Royal Mail for small lightweight parcels and UPS for bigger stuff. Interestingly I have never had a single lost or damaged item with UPS. Quite amazing really.

Thread: Recommendations for where to start with my new Emco Unimat Basic SL
08/06/2020 11:55:53

Look for 6mm tooling rather than 1/4" inch as some will be above centre hight.

Don't expect too much from it, its a model makers lathe.

Belts are readily available on ebay.

It's worth signing up to the unimat group at groups.io

Thread: Boxford needs new motor.
04/06/2020 10:46:57

I believe mine is 3/4hp and I've never felt like I need more power. This is the original Brooks Crompton 3 phase.

I also got everything I needed from "inverter drive supermarket". Seems like a good company to deal with. I went with an invertek drive. Made in Wales! Which is nice to know should I need help.

Thread: Boxford AUD motor drive wheel plus reverse switch issue
02/06/2020 19:49:20

Looks like you are sorted now but I converted my AUD to a inverter/VFD a few years ago. Probably the single best upgrade ive made to the boxford. It runs so much more smoothly and is a lot more convenient to use now. I would highly recommend it. A project for the future perhaps.

On the bearings, don't cheap out! Its not worth the hassle. Try to get decent branded ones. (FAG, Timken, Koyo, SKF)

Thread: Hobbymat top slide repair
01/06/2020 19:40:16

I don't know where you are located but hobbymat parts are fairly common on ebay uk. Infact a top slide sold yesterday for £25. Though it was in poor condition.

Thread: Macc Models Updates ?
17/05/2020 10:34:07

I've had 2 orders from them in the past couple of weeks, both arrived within a week of ordering.

Thread: Needle File Recommendations?
14/05/2020 18:17:06

Well I managed to get some new old stock stubs files in a selection of shapes. All second cut for the princely sum of £8. So im well happy with that.

I will take your advice and purchase individual files for brass and steel when the need arises.

13/05/2020 21:50:27
Posted by Bill Phinn on 13/05/2020 20:17:22:

Hollowpoint, it may be that you do actually want a cut 2 needle file set. Most people do, as cut 2 is good for general purposes. Personally, I like to have the commoner profiles in cut 4 and cut 6 on hand as well. My Vallorbe 4s and 6s were all bought as individual files, not in a set. Sets of cut 4 or 6 are rather hard to come by.

I notice Arceurotrade's Swiss Pattern needle files sets are available in cut 4 as well as 2, which is a welcome option to have available.

That was my other question, not sure what "cut" I want. I think the ones I have are 2's but it seems like cheap 2's are more course than expensive 2's. 🙄

13/05/2020 15:06:28

I did find these vallorbe files which seem to be good value for money? The only thing putting me off is that in some descriptions they are said to be "lighter manufacture" and "less durable" than the more premium vallorbe offerings?

13/05/2020 14:11:24

Yes diamond would be overkill I think. I have to admit I don't particularly like them anyway. I feel like I have more control with ordinary files and a good sharp one is a joy to use.

13/05/2020 13:31:41

I will be using them on brass mainly, though I do sometimes need them for steel too.

13/05/2020 13:03:37

Im looking for a good set of needle files and wondered what you guys might recommend?

I have lots of good quality large sizes (Osborne, Sandvik, Simmonds, Bahco etc) but all my small needle files are cheap crap.

I don't want to go over about £50 if that is possible. (I know some sets are hundreds of pounds.) The only ones I have considered so far is a set of Swiss Vallorbe and these look like a good contender?

Thread: Sort of a Straw Poll
13/05/2020 12:49:01

I'm 34 so hopefully I have a while to go yet but my parents are both in their 70's. They have a good phrase which is relevant:

"Money?, you can't take it with you."

Meaning what good is money when you're dead. I tend to agree with that and from my perspective I really don't care if they leave me everything or nothing. So I say go for it! Don't delay buy what you want.

That all being said, If any of you coffin dodgers want to write me into your will please do so! 😁

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest