By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Raglan training lathe value?
22/10/2019 09:22:33
Posted by not done it yet on 21/10/2019 11:48:46:
Posted by Hollowpoint on 21/10/2019 10:03:33:

The Loughborough was my first lathe! If you can live without screw cutting it's an absolutely brilliant little lathe. It's very rigid and the build quality is excellent. It has good spindle capacity and they are cheap! When you consider the other crap in the same price bracket it's a steal.

Agreed, but not really in the price bracket indicated by the OP. smiley One can buy a good 5” for that sort of money!

Yes I meant in the same price range of the Raglan. Usually sub £300.

21/10/2019 10:03:33

The Loughborough was my first lathe! If you can live without screw cutting it's an absolutely brilliant little lathe. It's very rigid and the build quality is excellent. It has good spindle capacity and they are cheap! When you consider the other crap in the same price bracket it's a steal.

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
21/10/2019 09:47:54

I think Neil has it spot on.

Model engineering isn't dying but it is changing. Today's youth aren't interested in building steam engines because they have no relevance to their modern lives. They are building things like drones, rc cars, film props and robots because to them, they are more exciting. Most of this kinda stuff is built at home in a bedroom on a 3D printer. Machinery isn't cheap for your average youngster and modern living (small properties with no gardens/sheds) is not conducive to having a fully kitted out workshop.

I wouldn't worry about model engineering completely dying though. I dabble in machine tool sales (buy, fix, sell) and its obvious that for most people space is at a premium. Sales of small machinery is booming.

Thread: Which Lathe
02/10/2019 19:28:54

I was in the same position a few months back. I went with Chester initially but they messed me about so I cancelled. I then decided to order from Amadeal as the price/spec was good. They seem like a good company to deal with. The order process was quick and smooth and they even let me choose the colour. 😊 The plastic cover did get cracked in transit but they replaced it no problems. I would recommend. I can also recommend Arc Euro, never had any problems ordering from them.

Thread: Cutting tools - what type is most suitable?
30/09/2019 08:11:08

I agree, the actual grade of the steel isn't that important but yes try to buy branded HSS. - Eclipse, Cleveland, Presto etc.

Hassle was probably the wrong word, inconvenient is probably better. While grinding isn't particularly difficult it's never going to be as easy as swapping a tip. Obviously you also need a grinder which can be messy to use. Thurther down the line if he ever decides to purchase a QCTP, carbide tips can be changed in place without any other adjustments. That can't be said about HSS. The tool would have to be removed from the holder for grinding, subsequently the new edge means centre hight is lost and will require readjustment.

29/09/2019 22:03:21
Posted by Will Cole on 29/09/2019 21:12:08:

Looking at the toolpost just, I have found it will actually accommodate all the way to to 18mm square capacity, but I am probably going to be looking at 8mm or 10mm square stock for tooling.

Don't make the common mistake of assuming the size of the slot in the tool post is the size of cutter it will accommodate. I can almost guarantee an 18mm shank cutter would be above centre height on a mini lathe. Even 12mm is a stretch on my own mini lathe.

Edit - I'm assuming you have a CL300 as it's the most common. You may have the CL500 in which case ignore my rambling. 

Edited By Hollowpoint on 29/09/2019 22:06:51

29/09/2019 20:51:41

Don't worry about the grade of hss it's not that important. Personally I think grinding is a bit of a hassle. I'd rather be turning than grinding.

If it was me I would go with a tipped tool and inserts. An sclcr tool will do 90% of turning jobs. You would want an 8mm or possibly 10mm shank and ccgt tips.

Thread: Getting to grips with Autodesk Vred
29/09/2019 10:08:33

Good luck with that 😲 I've just started learning Auto desk fusion 360 even with some 3d modelling experience it's a steep curve!

Thread: Haven’t done this for a looooong time!
27/09/2019 10:06:31

Look for the "workshop practice series" books, there is loads of them, about 50! Not expensive either.

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 08:34:04
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 26/09/2019 06:50:05:

And we are led to believe our education system is so much better than it was, as GCSE results improve year on year, never really swallowed that onesmiley

Tony

Most of today's youth certainly aren't more intelligent than older generations, they only seem interested in watching love Island and taking pictures of themselves. 😒 They are definitely less practical, I know lots of young people who can't even use a hammer. That said Ive seen a small resurgence in younger generations interested in crafts, you only have to look around YouTube to notice.

As a 30 something year old I'm kinda in the middle, though I have been described as an old soul on more than one occasion.

For balance I should also mention the swathes of old timers that absolutely refuse to measure in metric. 😂

Thread: Manual for a Meddings M10 High Speed Drill
24/09/2019 17:06:04

I've tried their website but no luck. I haven't tried contacting them. I was hoping someone might have a link to a download.

24/09/2019 09:50:31

Does anyone know where I might find a manual for a Meddings M10 high Speed drill? I've looked at all the usual sources but can't find anything.

Thread: Alternative metal sources?
22/09/2019 22:26:16

Try to find out where your nearest Auto Jumble is. There is almost always someone selling off cuts for not much more than scrap price. I've had all kinds of metals aluminium, brass, bronze, copper and even titanium!

Thread: Complete newbie question - RC car from scratch
20/09/2019 19:17:28

I used to be into nitro RC cars when I was younger so may be able to help.

If you have never had an RC car and you are just starting out with machining it might be easier to buy a cheap second hand car and simply copy all the parts in metal, or adapt to your own design IMO.

Thread: Chester Micro-Mill motor
17/09/2019 20:27:58

The one I linked to would require a Transformer or 24v power source. But you can get them that reduce the voltage. 

Edited By Hollowpoint on 17/09/2019 20:30:43

Thread: Any interesting lathe projects for beginners?
16/09/2019 22:40:22

This trench art lighter was a fun thing to make.

Thread: Chester Micro-Mill motor
16/09/2019 21:28:36

Sure, something like this 24v motor and PWM should be OK. I'm no expert though so might be better waiting for a reply from one of the electronics guys.

Motor

PWM

Edited By Hollowpoint on 16/09/2019 21:31:19

16/09/2019 21:05:47

A low cost solution is a 12v DC scooter motor with a PWM speed controller. This seems to be an increasingly popular setup being used on small model makers lathes such as the Unimat. Motor and controller can be had off ebay for about £30. I don't know how much torque they have but I'm guessing it would be at least equil or better than a sewing machine motor. Hope that helps.

16/09/2019 18:38:06

I think the chester mill is the same as the X1 mill. If I'm correct arc euro do spares.

Thread: Annealing Chinese Machine Tooling?
16/09/2019 18:31:31

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I will just try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work its no big loss. I do have other bigger lathes (mini lathe and Boxford) but I'd don't have adapters or any means of holding the tiny mt0 arbors. I was hoping to soften the steel enough to turn it in place on the cowells.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest