By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unimat milling table damage
07/06/2022 08:47:25

I find that scratches often look worse when they reveal a different lighter colour underneath. After you have stoned the burr off rub a little cold gun blue cream into the scratch to brown/blacken the silver and it will make it much less visible. 🙂

Thread: Emco Compact 5 - complete newbie
28/05/2022 15:56:23

Remove the drill chuck from the lathe or milling attachment?

Mill - screws off

Lathe - morse taper, just wind the handle back and it should eject itself.

Edited By Hollowpoint on 28/05/2022 15:56:49

Thread: What are the best quality needle files?
27/05/2022 20:03:24

Vallorbe as mentioned are about the best but also probably the most expensive. They do a set they call "midget" which are supposedly their budget range. In reality there isn't much difference.

If you aren't bothered about a whole set then good quality new old stock can usually be had cheap on ebay. Brands like Stubs, Oberg, Sandvik, Grobet, and pferd.

Thread: Key for a Cowells lathe chuck
26/05/2022 12:57:43

Bernard - heres another picture.

Im going to try modifying a drill chuck key. I'm just waiting on the post. I'm not using the one in the picture I need it! 😅

26/05/2022 08:16:21
Posted by Andy Carlson on 26/05/2022 07:44:17:

The generic key looks promising. Hope it works out for you.

I actually need 3 of these keys! (don't ask) so all help is invaluable!

I tried not to ask but I can't resist... three chucks? or three Cowells lathes?

Both! 🤦🏼‍♂️

I've owned a Cowells lathe for a few years now but when I bought it, it had nothing with it. Even the chuck was missing. I've steadily been buying accessories for it ever since but as you probably know they don't come up for sale often and when they do they are expensive. So when the opportunity to buy another lathe with some of the accessories I wanted cropped up I went for it. Thinking I would keep the accessories and sell the lathe on. Unfortunately the chuck key for this lathe is missing so I held off selling it. In the meantime another Cowells lathe popped up in a local auction, again with some accessories. I put a cheeky bid in not expecting to win but to my surprise I did! No worries ill keep the accessories I want and sell the rest on I thought. Guess what? No chuck keys!!! I now have a not unsubstantial amount of cash tied up in lathes I can't sell until I find keys! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited By Hollowpoint on 26/05/2022 08:21:20

Edited By Hollowpoint on 26/05/2022 08:22:44

25/05/2022 19:23:03

Though I would post this because it might be of interest to some of you.

The keys on the left and middle are genuine Cowells keys and the one on the right is a generic drill chuck key for a 1/2" chuck.

It's hard to see in the picture but interestingly the one on the left is slightly smaller in diameter and has shallower teeth than the middle one. Both fit and work fine but the larger key feels a little bit better which is great because the larger key is more similar to the bog standard drill chuck key.

25/05/2022 09:58:54

Thank you for the replies, very helpful.

Peak4 - thanks for that. It's useful to have.

Michael - thanks, unfortunately I don't have the skills to produce gears.

Not done it yet - it does look like that. Maybe an option to modify a bog standard gear?

Andy - I don't do faceache but I'll take a look. Sounds promising.

I actually need 3 of these keys! (don't ask) so all help is invaluable!

24/05/2022 23:09:47

Anyone know where I might obtain a chuck key for a Cowells 3 jaw chuck? It's the "TML" version chuck with the toothed outer ring like a drill chuck.

Failing that is there anything I could modify to fit or a drill chuck key size that might work?

Thread: Miniature metric spanners
24/05/2022 14:23:26

You can get Wera micro "nut spinners" in small sizes I know they go down to at least 1.5mm

Thread: mini grinders
22/05/2022 13:19:46
Posted by ega on 22/05/2022 12:32:18:

Hollowpoint:

My "Dremel" is a MINICRAFT too but not B&D branded. It's a 12V 100W device "MADE IN ENGLAND" with a West German 6mm chuck by Rohm and the German language preceding English on the box.

I wonder if it's the same under the skin as yours?

Very likely the same. Mine isn't B&D branded either. I don't know why some are and some aren't.

22/05/2022 06:52:21

The old B&D minicraft drills are my favourite. They are a bit of a hidden gem amongst tools! I have one from the 80's that absolutely refuses to die, even with fairly heavy use. Most of them where made in England or Germany using good quality components, the motors for example are Johnson and the bearings are usually European or Japanese. I've had other brands since which haven't lasted nearly as long.

Thread: Recommend a small lathe(and mill)
28/04/2022 23:48:43

Boxford or a Myford ML10

Thread: Blobs on 3D print..
26/04/2022 08:51:46

I've never used octopi or even know much about it but it seems like the solution would be to print from the SD card remotely using the octopi as nothing more than a controller.

24/04/2022 10:08:20

Looks like you are running waaaayyy too hot and too slow imo!

Turn nozzle temp down. And print speed up.

Could also be a nozzle size/layer height ratio problem?

Edited By Hollowpoint on 24/04/2022 10:10:04

Thread: Ping - and a screw is lost
20/04/2022 08:46:58

Get one of these

Edited By Hollowpoint on 20/04/2022 08:48:02

Thread: ER16 Collets from Ebay
17/04/2022 10:19:52

When I bought my ER40 set I bought cheap ones in all the most common sizes. I then replaced them and filled in the gaps with top quality ones if and when they turned up at bargain prices. I got lucky when a guy was selling unused Swiss rego-fix ones on ebay for £6 each! Needless to say I now have a complete set of almost entirely rego-fix collets.

Thread: Cardboard Packaging ? A Cautionary Tale
12/04/2022 09:01:37

Get yourself a can of "green moisture guard". It's like tacky oil. A quick spray keeps your tools well protected even relatively long term. 😉

Thread: ER16 Collets from Ebay
07/04/2022 22:51:05

I've had several sets of the Chinese ones from Amazon. The quality is hit and miss but at least returns are free if they are really bad.

It almost seems like in a typical set most of them are fine but you nearly always get a couple of crappy ones.

Thread: Is it really a joke
07/04/2022 22:44:39

Interesting. But just wait until your ev is permanently connected to the internet and can be switched off by the government whenever it feels like! 🤫🤣🫣

Thread: Is this distasteful
10/03/2022 10:03:35
Posted by Robin on 10/03/2022 09:58:17:

There is always a war somewhere. If you ban every topic anyone finds distasteful or annoying then you are left with donkey rescue and kittens smiley

Excuse me? Spending money on donkeys while there are starving children in the world? Disgusting? 😈🤣

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest