By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Barrie Lever

Here is a list of all the postings Barrie Lever has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Notre Dame
16/04/2019 08:29:54

The French will move heaven and earth to restore Notre Dame, a French billionare has already pledged 100 million euro's towards the rebuild.

There are people with the skill in the World to do the work and if the French struggle to get the skills from within to do the job then the right people will be bought in.

I guarantee you that the Notre Dame will be rebuilt to it's former glory.

Regards

Barrie

Thread: Printing small parts for car restoration
16/04/2019 08:24:14
Posted by Andrew Evans on 15/04/2019 22:21:39:

Has anyone got any experience or opinions on 3D printing small components for use on cars?

I am doing various jobs on my 90s BMW and a lot of the plastic parts such as trim fixings, screws etc tend to get brittle with age and snap or just disintegrate. Replacements cost a fortune if you can even find the part number. Would 3D printing parts be a feasible solution? Is the plastic going to be strong enough?

Any advise is appreciated.

Andy

Porsche Silverstone recently done a restoration on a 924 Martini special edition from 1977 and they 3D printed the the plastic clips that hold the petrol pipes on the under body. The original clips were no longer manufactured

As time goes on this process will be used more frequently in restorations.

B.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
14/04/2019 09:38:01

Spiral approch adaptive roughingRon

Adaptive clearing/roughing

Take a normal simple pocket operation, at some stage the cutter is going to need to cut at its full width, so to allow for this max strain upon the cutter and machine, you either have to set the DOC lower and maybe make two passes or run slower than ideal.

The same pocket with adaptive clearing would be approached with a spiral entry into the work piece creating a hole somewhat bigger than the cutter diameter. Generally step over tends to be smaller with adaptive strategies, you can see that Jason was using probably a 15-20% step over (maybe 1mm) on the 6mm cutter. So the tool never sees the load of the full width (6mm in this case). Maybe you can see what I am describing in the screen shot, this was for a carbon fibre machining job (very abrasive !!).

This allows you to use the side flutes of the cutter more effectively rather than stepping down in a number of passes, tool life is extended by some margin. You can also run hobby machines closer to industrial feed rates albeit with smaller stepovers.

Some adaptive strategies allow climb and conventional milling in the same tool path, so in this case the tool would have zig-zagged backwards and forwards.

You would think this would always be an advantage but not so, particularly if the cuts are long it is quicker to rapid back to the start. I think in Jason's example though zig-zag (climb/conventional) would get material off quicker.

Modern CNC machining (HSM) seems to be favouring taking lighter cuts on the side of the tool and with very high feed rates. Rather than old manual techniques which I think tended to go for big stepovers.

If I followed Jason's reports more closely I would see what CAM package he is using, of course the package may not have adaptive zig/zag.

B.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 14/04/2019 09:39:13

Edited By Barrie Lever on 14/04/2019 09:41:45

Edited By Barrie Lever on 14/04/2019 09:48:48

Edited By Barrie Lever on 14/04/2019 09:50:33

Thread: Myford ML10 lives again
12/04/2019 23:37:30
Posted by Dave Springate on 12/04/2019 07:31:06:

Well at long last it's finished and running again. I'm really pleased with it and have enjoyed the strip and clean up. I had a problem with the electrics but thanks to the help and advice from a forum member David (AKA Myford boy) I got it sorted. Thanks again David !

https://youtu.be/FpisXN4anGQ

Dave

That is a really nice restoration, that will do you some nice work.

Regards

Barrie

Thread: Moving from Warco WM180 to a Myford ML7B ?
10/04/2019 14:11:08
Posted by Old School on 10/04/2019 13:37:16:

If your ant a Myford their other options than the 7 series have a look at the 254 I do like mine.

Trouble is Ollie all you chaps with 254's are hanging onto them because they are so good.

Regards

Barrie

09/04/2019 23:02:27

Andrew

I probably should have said that the majority of my turning is on aluminium parts.

I will read your tests in more detail later.

Anyhow some quite strong arguments in favour of the old Myford.

B.

09/04/2019 19:10:27

Dave

Firstly I would assume that the Myford was in good condition, therefore anything to do with poor maintenance and abuse is out of the window in this discussion.

I see positives for the Myford is the machines mass, this always helps with ridigity and damping vibrations, thus accuracy and finish , Myford will be acurately aligned.

I never find a small spindle through hole a problem, I turn 50mm diameter material 250mm out from the chuck on my Compact 5 using a fixed steady and centre, I would do the same if using a Myford.

The slow spindle speed is not really a problem with carbide inserts, I had never even heard of carbide inserts being a problem at lower speeds before joining this forum. I always use carbide tooling unless I need a special wierd shape tool which I grind from HSS as required, I often turn at 200 rpm with carbide in my EMCO Compact 5. Carbide also does not mind taking wafer thin cuts, that is another falicy perpetrated on this forum.

I would say that the slow spindle speed will likely give the Myford good torque for harder turning jobs assuming it has a resonable size motor fitted. the WM180's 600W will soon get gobbled up on a tough job. The WM180 in size etc looks similar to a Compact 5 excepting that the WM180 has more centre height, I would say that the WM180 and Compact 5 are in a similar league regarding size capability.

I would never consider a Compact 5 to match a an ML7 in anything other than accurcay assuming work is taken slowly, the Myford is whole chunk bigger than these smaller lathes, I have owned both and I would prefer a Myford 7 to a Compact 5. I therefore struggle to see how Kevin will find moving to an ML7 as anything other than a good step forwards.

There is a reason that Myfords are very popular and expensive in the second hand market and it is not vanity!!

B.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 09/04/2019 19:16:11

Edited By Barrie Lever on 09/04/2019 19:19:39

08/04/2019 20:29:17
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 08/04/2019 18:22:58:

What are you expecting the Myford to do better?

More or less everything assuming it is in good condition, a great lathe.

And no I do not own a Myford but have in the past.

B.

Thread: Machinery Directive and CE marking
06/04/2019 09:41:51

Andy

Thanks for the image.

At very best that is deciptful.

Of course my purchase decisions are coloured by these kind of tricks.

B.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 06/04/2019 09:42:34

05/04/2019 09:52:38
Posted by vintage engineer on 04/04/2019 19:40:17:

I thought CE marking meant Chinese Export?

Vintage Engineer

Well you are in the majority, I would wage good money that more people in the World think that a CE mark stands for China export than anything else !!

I know you were joking but I am not sure that my response is a joke, I might actually be correct.

All joking aside the CE marking scheme is a complete farce, it only works if everyone plays by the same rules.

I know of items like serious radio control sets having CE marks that are issued by some tiny test house in Malaysia, there was no way that the test house could carry out a proper CE test.

There is even difference of opinion between German machine tool factories on what is required from say machine safety encosures to be CE compliant.

Like I say, pick the bones away and it is a joke.

Regards

Barrie

Thread: RIP Chris Moore
02/04/2019 17:56:38

That is sad news when such an iconic name in model engineering passes.

Hopefully someone will write a fitting obituary of Chris Moore.

Thread: Chinese 7x10 lathe
02/04/2019 16:24:32

Dave SOD

Are you able to tell me the difference between trading with a vendor in the EU post Brexit and trading with a vendor in the USA for example?

I just don't see that there is any difference but I have not done my homework on the details.

Life will go on.

I think it would be unwise to buy a cheap Chinese lathe from a source slightly cheaper than the UK suppliers, the risk matrix does not look good for small savings on what is already a small amount of money.

B.

Thread: Resurfacing a Cast Iron Enamelled Bath.
31/03/2019 10:09:11
Posted by blowlamp on 30/03/2019 19:16:38:

I'd like some advice from forum members on refinishing a bath tub please.

I did this job about 4 years ago and it lasted very well until quite recently.

When I first did this job, an area of the original enamel had eroded by about 2 - 3mm around the plughole, so to prevent pooling I filled it with Chemical Metal and I now think this may be what has caused the failure.

What has happened is that the Chemical Metal filler has parted (very cleanly) from the original enamel by a process that looks like the fresh enamel has bonded (perfectly!) to this filler and then slighly shrunk over time thus pulling the filler off the bath. It basically curls up and breaks off.

From what I can see, wherever the new enamel covers the original enamel, then the bond appears excellent and is without any sign of failing.

I suppose I need advice regarding a suitable filler that sticks really well to the original enamel, along with hints & tips about anything else I should take into account.

I used the Rustoleum refinishing kit, if that is important to know.

Thanks.

Martin.

Martin

What sort of chemical metal did you use? Polyester based metal fillers will not get as good a 'bite' to the surface as epoxy types, the best epoxy based products will also have additional keying agents within their composition.

When you say that the flakes falling off curl, that would imply that there is a fair degree of shrinkage in the Rustolem product.

With any bonding operation the key to success is in the preparation and that might be quite a bit more effort than expected.

Regards

Barrie

Edited By Barrie Lever on 31/03/2019 10:10:02

Edited By Barrie Lever on 31/03/2019 10:10:33

Thread: Advice on Choosing A Mini Lathe
30/03/2019 22:20:39

I have visited the Sherline factory, very interesting and the machines are really amazing at how adaptable they are.

Plus a huge range of accesories.

Personally for a mini lathe I have a Unimat 3.

B.

Thread: Mini boring tool
30/03/2019 13:25:08

Plasma

Can you give a hint or a link to where you signed up for that account?

I found their WNT division, is that it?

Thanks

Barrie

Thread: WT2527 15cc Glow Engine
29/03/2019 13:22:49

Craig

I was very impressed with the tick over, shame you have lost some of that for top end performance.

What prop size are you running?

Regards

Barrie

Thread: miniature 3 pin sockets
28/03/2019 11:15:05

An exaggeration really, but for all we know the OPs application might be part of diagnostic medical equipment and have an unlimited budget, or it might be a non critical hobby related project. Offering any specific connector without knowing its intended purpose does not really have any point.

Ian P

Ian

If the OP had an unlimited budget then he would not be posting on a model engineer forum for an answer - simple, the big connector companies would be more than happy to furnish him with something very nice if he was involved in a medical project. HE IS NOT!!

The opening poster is using three sensors to measure temp. of the cylinder head, fuel and carb on an Austin 7, we know now that the sensors are not type K.

So all of the suggestions so far will work, although I favour JST type RC style connectors due to their reliability and low price.

Piece it together and you will get there, but the World will have moved on by then.

Regards

Barrie

28/03/2019 08:43:05
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 27/03/2019 19:37:32:

I am a bit new to all this electronic ey stuff. I need to plug 5 off, 3 wire temperature sensors into a circuit board. Won't do it too often, but must be easily unplugged. Sensors draw little current at 3.3 volts.

I don't want them too big, perhaps 3.5 phono ?? Or what would you suggest ? Elsewhere to get them with a reasonable delivery schedule (Not China).

BobH

Bob

Take a look at RC servo extension leads, they are as cheap as chips, they come with 3 colour ribbon leads attached, the connectors are polarised and they are reliable and you could have them on your doorstep in the morning.

You could fit the socket part of the lead into the case wall if it exists or if the project is not enclosed then just have a flying lead to the socket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-PAIR-300mm-JR-Servo-Extension-Cord-Cable-Wire-Lead-for-RC-Car-Helicopter/272599315111?epid=696065421&hash=item3f782f72a7:g:sOoAAOSwVkNameM~

Regards

Barrie

Thread: Collet Chuck or not ?
26/03/2019 10:47:33
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 26/03/2019 10:20:03:

" ER16 is for watchmakers "

Dave

That must be a Neanderthal watchmaker that you know using ER16 collets !!

Regards Barrie

Thread: DraftSight no longer free
25/03/2019 19:02:25

Rik

No cash from me, I don't use 360 although it looks good.

I pay for my software and know where I am with it, so as to speak.

B.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest