By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Anyone know what this is?
12/02/2016 07:24:41
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 11/02/2016 22:16:27:

Australian ??

It must be. I am seeing it upside down.

Thread: Cheap stepper motor couplings?
11/02/2016 21:12:45

For an overview of coupling types you might want to look here:

http://www.designatronics.com/resources/couplings/metric-flexible.php

Thread: Anyone know what this is?
11/02/2016 21:02:33

I think it is a tapping machine. The v-belt pulleys on the spindle will rotate in opposite directions. It looks like the foot pedal actuates the clutch for forward-reverse rotation.

Thread: Cutting an external thread on the nose of a milling chuck
10/02/2016 17:13:49
Posted by Nick Hughes on 10/02/2016 15:14:17:

Possibly re-thread the arbor for one of these :- **LINK** (scroll down the page for the R8 arbor).

Nick.

This is the best suggestion of the lot. The arbors are inexpensive and not particularly hard. You should be able to work with HSS tools.

Thread: DC Motors Vs AC induction (single or three phase)
03/02/2016 11:22:13

DC motors in powr tools run at very high RPMs. That allows a lot of power in a small motor. AC motors running on line current cannot exceed 3000 or 3600 RPM (synchronous speed) depending on whether you have 50 or 60 hz.

Thread: Help needed machining ends of leadscrews
01/02/2016 22:28:37

If you have a little excess length on the leadscrews, just chuck the end. Support the screw with a steady rest at the end of the lathe bed. If the pitch is too coarse to use the steady directly on the screw, use a sleeve or cat head in the steady. Turn down the diameter and face the shoulder. Cut odd the end you had in the chuck.

Thread: How do you?
31/01/2016 04:05:43

Clickspring has a video on YouTube showing how he made one.

Thread: Which Headband Magnifier?
24/01/2016 21:26:21

A friend of mine got tired of the Optivisor sliding around on his head. He modified the headgear from a clear face shield to accept the Optivisor plates. That gave him a ratchet adjustable headgear with a band over the top of his head.

Thread: Cracked Ml7 clutch pulley casting
24/01/2016 21:21:52

Oxy-acetylene welding of cast iron is not difficult. Use cast iron rod and borax flux. The real issue is to prevent hardening from rapid cooling. You need to preheat the casting to about 800F before welding. After welding you need a very slow cool.

Thread: Harrison L5 problem
23/01/2016 12:26:19

Sounds like the taper is caused by deflection. Could be due to the part springing under cutting pressure. Try a larger workpiece. Make the final pass very fine, using a high shear tool.

Another possibility is the chuck. If it is not seated tightly against the shoulder that could be the source of deflection.

If the chuck jaws are worn bellmouthed the jaws will only hold at the heel allowing the part to deflect i the chuck.

Thread: Groove for round belt pulleys
20/01/2016 18:43:06

The smaller the included angle of the groove the greater the belt traction. There is a trade off. With increased traction comes increased wear. If I were making the pulley I would probably use 34 deg. included.

Thread: Gloves
20/01/2016 05:53:47

I wore gloves at the tablesaw. I was tired and did not bother to remove the gloves. The saw blade caught the glove and pulled my hand in. No feeling in the tip of my left thumb, index finger is permanently bent at a right angle and has no feeling in the tip. Middle finger is gone. all from wearing gloves when I knew I should not.

No gloves around moving machinery, ever.

Going in the shop fatigued is probably as bad as going in drunk. Maybe it is worse. If you had a few you are most likely to realize you are impaired. Fatigue sneaks up on you and you may not realize just how much you are impaired.

Sure miss the middle finger when I am driving.

Thread: brazing flux residue
19/01/2016 20:55:03

I think most brazing fluxes are borax. Have you tried a long soak in hot water?

Thread: Parting Problems - Backlash ?
19/01/2016 20:53:09

The tool position is far left of the cross slide ways. I suspect the whole topslide is deflecting to the left causing the tool to drop. Can you reposition the topslide to keep the tool over the cross slide ways? In my opinion the parting tool holders have far too much oberhang.

I had similar experiences with my South Bend 10K. I decided to use the HSS parting tools that fit the Aloris style tool posts. There is far less overhang and if something goes wrong I just re-grind my tool.

19/01/2016 20:47:41

The tool position is far left of the cross slide ways. I suspect the whole topslide is deflecting to the left causing the tool to drop. Can you reposition the topslide to keep the tool over the cross slide ways?

Thread: Which files should I buy
09/01/2016 18:39:13

From the US

I understand that Nicholson files are no longer made un the USA. Their quality is no where near the older Nicholson files. Simonds would probably be my choice today. Grobet my second choice.

Thread: Turning problems
28/12/2015 18:28:42

When turning a diameter to a specific size leave the part a little oversize. Take one or more passes with no infeed until you no longer make chips. Then mike it and adjust the cross feed to get to final size. If you fail to take those extra passes before measuring, it is likely the finished diameter will be undersized. The purpose of those extra passes is to allow spring back of the machine. Deflection under load is more of a problem on the light hobby lathes than on larger industrial machines.

Thread: Are bigger bearings better?
28/12/2015 17:59:47

Timken has load capacity vs life information available. Generally a larger bearing has increased load capacity.

Thread: Vice suggestions
28/12/2015 17:27:13

I suggest a toolmakers screwless vise (USA spelling) for your size machine. Just make sure there are grooves on both sides for clamping it down. They are made in sizes from 2" jaw size and larger.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest