By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to seal a lathe headstock
06/05/2016 05:37:38

I forgot something in my earlier post. You need a locking device to prevent the spindle from pulling out when you cut toward the tailstock. I suggest using a sleeve over the spindle. One section of sleeve between the bearing and the pulley. Another sleeve between the pulley and the outboard bearing and a locknut against the outboard side of the ball bearing. I suggest this approach so it is not necessary to reduce the spindle diameter in order to install a locknut against the roller bearings. It also provides positive location for the ball bearing.

06/05/2016 05:22:13
Posted by John McNamara on 06/05/2016 01:03:03:

Hi Rainbows

Some variations on your theme here.....
**LINK**

You really do need to keep the swarf out there are dozens of inexpensive mechanical seals available.

It appears your main shaft is not stepped? Usually there is a step that provides positive location and provides an opposing face to preload the tapered roller bearings.

Regards
John

Rainbows,

I agree with John M. You need seals. You also need a shoulder against the bearing race. You also need a shoulder for the chuck to butt against.

I would like to suggest some changes to make the headstock more robust.

Eliminate the ball bearing on the left side of the headstock. It adds little support compared to the tapered roller bearings.

Replace the two roller bearings with a single bearing of double row design. Place it as close to the left end of the headstock as possible, leaving room for a seal. That will place the bearings as close as possible to the chuck for maximum rigidity. Use shims under the bearing retainer to adjust preload. Timken and SKF have several sizes of roller bearings to fit a given shaft. That will give a choice of load capacity.

The ball bearing at the right can be a pre-lubricated bearing with seals.

Refer to the bearing manufacturers' literature for the proper fits on the shaft and housing.

I hope this is helpful.

John R

Thread: Stopping castings rusting
06/05/2016 01:36:11

When my brother worked in carpentry he used Future floor coating on his tools to prevent rust. Based on his experience I used Future to protect soil sampling tubes from rust. It worked beautifully. Is Future available in the UK?

Thread: Drilling brass
02/05/2016 22:58:37

I have a few half round drills that I use exclusively on brass.

Thread: Extension Socket
28/04/2016 02:58:11

In over 60 years around metalworking I have never seen an extension socket without a tang. You could cut the tang off, drill and tap for drawbar threads. How will the tool be retained in the socket?

Thread: Tilting Table Kit?
22/04/2016 02:03:03

Hemmingway?

Thread: Pillar Drill Vice Mounting
21/04/2016 03:14:42

I have a shop made vise similar to this http://www.penntoolco.com/wahlstrom-float-lock-drill-press-vise/. I bought it many years ago from a retired toolmaker. The feature I like best is the stepped jaw that acts like parallels holding the work off the table. Google Floatlock.

Thread: Finger plate.john wilding
18/04/2016 17:19:15

http://www.instructables.com/id/Machining-A-Finger-Plate-Clamping-Tool/

Thread: Millling clamps
06/04/2016 04:26:38

About a year ago I had a similar setup problem. I found a 2 piece vise for about $44 at Enco. It was rather crudely made, but it got the job done. I don't know if Enco sells in the UK. Probably one of the European vendors handles a similar product.

Thread: Cam-Gear
05/04/2016 15:44:06

Yes, two separate parts is the way to go.

Thread: Too simple ?
05/04/2016 15:42:04

Yes, bore the hole first. A couple other options for holding the gear on the rotary: in a 4 jaw chuck using soft metal pads on the jaws, or make an expanding mandrel and hold that in a chuck, either clamped to the mill table or on the rotary.

Thread: Steel quality
04/04/2016 12:38:02

I think the real problem is mis-labeling by the mill or vendor. Most users of material rely on the mill certifications as to physical properties and chemical composition. When dealing with off-shore materials I would want to see physical and chemical tests by an independent laboratory.

Thread: Automotive Automatic Gearbox
04/04/2016 03:40:47

The gasoline engine is more efficient when the throttle plate fully open. The modern engine and transmission controllers try to approach that. When I was at the university in the late '50's we dyno tested a Ford 6, probably 240 cubic inches. Its best specific fuel consumption (pound per brake horsepower hour) was at 800 rpm with the throttle fully open. Unfortunately, most of the carburetors made in the US at that time enriched the fuel mixture when it sensed low manifold vacuum due to open throttle at low rpms. That was done to prevent knock on acceleration. There was not the engine/transmission management technology at that time to allow low horsepower operation with an open (mostly) throttle.

One of the biggest energy losses in a gasoline engine is drawing air past a partially closed throttle plate. One of the reasons a diesel engine is so efficient is that it operates without a throttle plate.

Thread: Oils seals, which way to install?
04/04/2016 02:38:03

In my earlier posts I neglected to mention that there are seals with dual lips. They provide against lubricant loss and exclude dirt. I have not looked at a seal catalog and I know know nothing of what is available in the UK so I can't make a specific recommendation.

Just did a quick search.  SKF and Timken offer oil seals.  They should be available in the UK.

Edited By John Reese on 04/04/2016 02:41:03

Here is SKF info.

http://www.skf.com/group/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/radial-shaft-seals/index.html

Edited By John Reese on 04/04/2016 02:43:52

Edited By John Reese on 04/04/2016 02:45:12

Add Garlock to the list of sources.

Edited By John Reese on 04/04/2016 03:06:34

Thread: Free hobbed worm wheel
04/04/2016 00:07:12

Just spent several minutes on the web searching for stock gears of the size you wanted. This is the closest I could find. http://www.martinsprocket.com/products/product-search?Website_Code=GR5

03/04/2016 23:51:38

Have you checked the vendors of stock gears? They might be expensive but probably less than buying a rotary and tearing it apart.

Thread: Fish scaling
03/04/2016 23:47:15

I have never been a fan of engine turning. I think it makes an object look cheap. After seeing photos of the bugatti I may have to reconsider....

Thread: What IS Gunmetal?...
03/04/2016 23:29:49

As Nick said, gunmetal is a bronze of specific composition. Don't remember exactly what they were. As cast it does have a greyish color. Cut surfaces are the color we normally associate with bronze: yellowish. I expect that if left to weather it would get a green patina.

Edited By John Reese on 03/04/2016 23:31:49

Edited By John Reese on 03/04/2016 23:32:36

Thread: Special ER Collets
03/04/2016 21:02:48

JasonB

Could you explain elephant's foot to me. Never heard that term in the shop.

Thanks,

John

Thread: Top tip for cleaning cast angled faces.
03/04/2016 15:31:42

Jason B,

I like your approach as shown in your first photo. If you use this setup often I suggest fastening a piece of round stock to the underside of the plate at thr right end. That way you only need to clamp the round to the table, eliminating the fussy setup on the right.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest