By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: GMT automatic boring head
05/08/2019 22:10:10

It looks just like mine. One branded Gamet, the other branded Enco.

04/08/2019 22:17:43

I suspect you mean Gamet. I have two, 1/2" and 3/4" bar size. Both are extremely well made and work well. Some were sold here in the US under the Enco brand. If you nee instructions I have them.

Thread: Automotive starter ring (ring gear)
04/08/2019 22:13:52

Martyn, It seems your lathe is robust enough to handle the interrupted cut. I say chuck it up and have at it. Rig some kind of sheet metal deflector to clamp over your tool to keep the cast iron chips from flying everywhere.

Thread: Most difficult part first
04/08/2019 21:57:41

If I started a job doing the easy part first my Dad gave me hell for saving the hard part for last. If I started the hard part first he gave me hell that, too.

I think there is logic in starting with the easiest part first. As you work through the progressively harder parts you gain confidence and proficiency. What you learn on the simpler parts may give you some insight into ways to set up the difficult part.

Thread: Does anybody know what this is ?
03/08/2019 12:27:33

telephone magneto

Thread: Tolerance for needle bearings?
01/08/2019 22:18:31

Gary,

You are turning the axles to diameter. I have to assume the shafts are soft. When you do your research on the bearing fit check o the hardness requirement for the shaft. You will find that the shafts must be hard for proper performance.

John

Thread: R8 spindle advice required
29/07/2019 00:50:54

I am about to pull the pin.

On my BP I have some heavy attachments that clamp to the quill. Trying to support the device and rotate it to get the key aligned is a hassle. The pin has to go. then I can just shove it into place and hold it with the drawbar.

Thread: Three jaw indipendent chuck
26/07/2019 22:46:02

One argument against an independent 3 jaw is the difficulty getting the work to run true. I have Japanese 3 jaw with the adjust true feature. There are 3 screws for adjusting runout. It take me far longer to get that chuck dialed in than with a 4 jaw.

Thread: Mystery machine..........
22/07/2019 18:35:39

Definitely a power hack saw, probably shop built. With that enormous adjustable weight I bet it could really eat up blades.

Thread: Lathe tooling
22/07/2019 18:23:56

I used to have a 4 way turret mounted on my lathe. I got smart and replaced it with an Aloris. No shims required- ever. Same can be said for Dickson style toolposts.

Thread: Deburring small items after parting off
21/07/2019 20:39:30

Sequence of operations:

1. Chuck & set stickout

2. Drill through several lengths

3. Face to length, Chamfer

4. De-burr the hole

6. Part off. Parting tool should have lead on the front so it cuts through the right side first and a 45* shoulder to form the chamfer left of the cut.

7. Hand deburr hole.

8. Advance work in the chuck

9. Go back to step 3

10. Drill deeper as needed.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 20:19:54

Chronologically:

1. Cincinnati Contourmaster with broken tracer. Gone

2. Cincinnati Ho. 2 horizontal. Gone

3. Sharp, copy of Bridgeport. Still have it

4. Rong Fu 45. Still have it.

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 20:14:19

Chronologically:

1. South Bend 9", well tooled. Gone

2. South Bend 10K, almost every accessory. Still have it.

3. Pratt & Whitney 14" x 30". Had been to England and back. Gone

4. Lehmann 20" x 120". Gone

5. Myford Mini-Kop. Gone

6. Warner & Swasey 1A. Gone

7. Clausing Metosa 13" x 30". Gone

8. Unknown 8mm watchmaker's lathe. Still have it.

9. Nardni 16" x 40". Still have it.

Thread: Mystery Machines from Switzerland
20/07/2019 15:50:39

I would guess they are from the watchmaking industry.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 00:34:50

I, too, detest the damned things. Imagine the resources that were wasted creating them. They seem to appeal most to those who have inadequate language skills.

Thread: Single DRO for 2 machines
16/07/2019 21:44:39

Consider buying a 4 axis DRO. The scales can stay connected permanently.

Thread: Best way to cut HSS tool blanks from bar?
16/07/2019 21:39:08

Just cut it witth an abrasive disc and do not worry about loss od hardness. I do it often.

Thread: Phillips vs Pozidrive and portable drills
05/07/2019 13:45:20

Robertson heads are quite common in the US also. We see some screws with a combination head: Robertson and Phillips. They seem to strip out more frequently than either the Robertson or the Phillips. The higher grade fasteners are mostly Torx drive now.

Thread: Internal collets
04/07/2019 00:37:21

Expanding collets are made. Here is an example for a watchmaker's lathe:**LINK**

At one time I had a similar collet in 5C size. At the time I didn't have a lathe so I gave it away.

Thread: Is this chuck too big/heavy?
03/07/2019 04:22:50

The weight of the chuck itself will have a negligible effect on the spindle bearings. The cutting forces when turning are greater than the weight of the chuck. A greater problem is the total thickness of the chuck. Bigger chucks are thicker. The effect is similar additional stickout of the workpiece.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest