By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: oversize ER16 collets
15/01/2021 23:00:36

I have a metric set of ER32 collets. I also purchased a few inch sized collets. My tooling is almost entirely inch size. With 1/2" and 3/8" the metric collet when hand tightened will not hold these inch sizes tight enough to keep them from sliding out of the collet. That meant 3 hands were needed to chuck these sizes: one on the spindle brake, one on the collet wrench, and one to hold the end mill.

Thread: Machining Brass
15/01/2021 22:51:04

If backlash is the problem the effects will be exacerbated if the cutting tools are not perfectly sharp. If using insert tools you need a tool designed for aluminum, a perfectly sharp edge and a polished top. If using HSS be sure the tool is honed to a perfectly sharp edge. If an end mill is used for steel it will probably perform poorly in brass. Some machinists keep tools for brass separate from their other cutting tools.

Thread: straight shank adapter for MT2/MT3 drill bits
07/01/2021 21:31:20

NDIY, I have been trying to find a suitable name for those thin skinned people who can't handle criticism. I have considered names like snow flake, candy ass, etc. I finally settled on emotional weakling, abbreviated EW and pronounced EEWWW.

If you want to find harsh critics go to Practical Machinist forum. Sometimes they attack like a school of piranha.

Thread: MIG Gas
07/01/2021 21:12:25

The CO2 used in welding or for carbonating your beer is extracted from the air so from that standpoint it is neutral. The energy requires to extract CO2 from the air is not carbon neutral.

As others have said the welding characteristics of the argon blend are much better than straight CO2.

Thread: straight shank adapter for MT2/MT3 drill bits
07/01/2021 00:45:28

Purchase an extension Morse taper socket. Mount it between centers and turn the male taper to a suitable diameter.

For use in a hand held drill motor sme runout is tolerable so it is preferable to purchase a used extensin scket and modify it.

Thread: Retractable wheels etc for moving a Lathe ?
28/12/2020 23:13:41

I have a South Bend 10K, under drive with cabinet. I just put a 4" stem caster on each corner. There were tabs sticking out from the front and back of the cabinet that made it easy. The extra height saves wear and tear on my back.

Thread: Oil proof brush?
22/12/2020 04:03:54

I have a small garden tool like a 4 pronged claw for dragging masses of long tangeled chips out of the chip pan. I use a margin trowel with a rectangular blade about 2 1/2" x 4" to scrape the fine chips into a dustpan. I haven't considered using old paint brushes for swarf. Either they are too good for that use or were improperly cleaned and are a near solid block of hardened paint.

21/12/2020 23:23:48

I buy cheap Chinese brushes at the paint department of a DIY store. The bristles of most paint brushes are too long to move swarf effectively so I give my brushes a haircut.

Thread: Cutting copper tube square
21/12/2020 23:13:29

A normal pipe cutter will roll the cut edges inward. In many cases that would ruin the pipe for its intended use.

Thread: Drilling 8mm hole in HSS hacksaw blades
14/12/2020 22:32:30

I have a Cole drill. Anyone who wants to experiment with it is welcome to come to Illinois and try it out.

Thread: Stand in wheel dressing tool
14/12/2020 22:24:02

A Desmond dresser works well. It has star wheels that work against the wheel. Try flea bay.

Thread: Shimming Techniques
14/12/2020 21:58:31

Gotteswinter used a special epoxy compound for his tramming that is not available to us common folks.

Thread: Stand in wheel dressing tool
09/12/2020 22:23:21

A Carbarundum dressing stick works. Cheap.

Thread: Spring threading aid
04/12/2020 20:31:57

Most of the commercial tap guides have a reversible spindle. One end has a female taper, the other a male taper. Thatway it can be used with any tap. There are many on-line sources.

Thread: The Old One - Broken Tap Removal?
04/12/2020 20:25:22

It is too bad the broken tap fragment is loose in the hole. If it were tight I would suggest a 3mm diamond core bit from Banggood The sets of core drills are dirt cheap so it would be worthwhile to keep a couple on hand. The diamonds are plated on so they will not take much abuse.

Thread: Left Hand Acme Threads
24/11/2020 22:27:15

I recently did a 3/4-4 Acme. I hand ground the tool bit. The bar I used was 1/2". There was insufficient clearance for me to open the half nuts and crank the tool out. I had to leave the half nuts engaged, back the tool out a bit using the crossslide and run the spindle in reverse to get back to my starting point. With the that small a bar and the very coarse pitch it required MANY spring passes to complete the thread.

Be sure you have sufficient clearance on the proper side of the tool. Calculate the helix angle based on the minor diameter of the thread and add a few degrees to that to get the necessary clearance angle for the leading edge of the tool. The trailing edge of the tool need not have any clearance.

Thread: Indexer?
31/10/2020 01:49:02

It resembles a Kalamazoo indexer. I have one suggestion for an improvement: Mill or grind flats on the sides parallel with the rotation axis. That will allow it to be held in the vise.

Thread: Ideal Dimensions of Vice Clamps
29/09/2020 05:41:37

I made my clamps from aluminum. The underside is rebated leaving about a 1/4" heel to contact the table. The screw was located as close to the vise as possible.

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
29/09/2020 05:35:13

I have a large amount of cast iron welding rod (R-CI). It is about 3/16" dia. The finish is sand cast and the halve are slightly offset (mold mismatch). I don't see how they could be used for anything but welding. If you need a smooth cast iron rod I suggest you find a larger diameter and set up a hollow mill on the lathe to reduce the diameter.

Thread: Basic threading
21/08/2020 22:29:59

Is your threading tool with a sharp point? That would require a greater depth of thread than a tool made with a flat equal to pitch/8.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest