By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 01:39:53

I agree with Mark. There is no need to pilot drill doe a 10.5mm drill unless your equipment is too light.

Thread: Turning Cast Iron question - Health & Cleaning Up
07/05/2019 21:28:38
Posted by Brian Oldford on 06/05/2019 10:36:23:

If you have a lathe without a screw-on chuck try using an inverted tool and run the machine backwards. Or if it has a screw-on chuck use the tool in a rear tool post. The chips tend to be directed downwards and far less carbon/iron dust gets into the air.

Think about what the upward force on the tool does to the cross slide and compound. It lifts those components creating clearance between the flat surface of the slide and the saddle. Similarly there will be clearance under the compound. Fine CI dust enters that clearance and acts as an abrasive when later you are turning with the tool facing up. Why cause premature wear on your machine just to escape a spray of swarf. Slamp a piece of sheet metal onto the tool to act as a chip deflector.

Thread: How do I cut 6" dia bar?
06/05/2019 03:30:17

When I had a 1" lathe I parted as deep as I could then finished with a Sawzall. Now I have a 16" lathe and I am curious how deep I can part without sawing. I plan to use a lantern toolpost so I can keep cutting forces over the center of the cross slide. Previously I used an Aloris style parting tool and I didn't like the way the tool tilted left under load.

Thread: Setting Milling-machine Vice
05/05/2019 13:07:04

My vise is keyed to the table. No tramming.

Thread: Parting tool
04/05/2019 16:16:07

I have one like it. The inserts are FRAGILE.

Thread: Does anyone know where I can source a Myford 34t change gear?
29/04/2019 04:07:00

Have you searched for vendors of "stock" gears. As long as the diametral pirtch and and pressure angle are correct you can modify the bore to suit your needs.

Thread: A question about centre drilling
29/04/2019 00:25:21

I have not heard of this technique used with a center-drill. I know it is used with twist drills if the drill tends to shift off center when starting. Essentially it forces the drill to bore a true cone as it starts. If the center-drill were not perfectly aligned with the spindle centerline The technique would prevent an off center start.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
28/04/2019 01:02:35

I have been trying to figure out why smoke is coming out of the motor control of my Taft Pierce surface grinder. I checked with an ohmmeter and found infinite resistance from all 3 phases to ground. More investigation tomorrow.

Thread: Dialect expressions
27/04/2019 22:39:16

Here in the US I was a bit startled when a Scottish lady told me to keep my pecker up.

Thread: Brazing steel
27/04/2019 22:28:35

Not all free machining steels are leaded. Sulfur and phosphorus are common additives to improve machinability.

Thread: "Screwing" a car round a corner!
27/04/2019 17:15:25

I used to steer corners that way on snowy or muddy or gravel roads. Drove my wife nuts. Modern vehicle stability controls pretty much prevent it and take a lot of fun out of driving.

Thread: Coil binding tape = Empire tape? Suppliers?
27/04/2019 17:08:31

Damn. I should proofread before I submit.

27/04/2019 17:07:43

I remember the term, varnished cambric, from the old days. I expect there aew newer and v=better materials..

Thread: Machining a long part
24/04/2019 22:22:26

On the Bridgeport type machines one can swivel the turret and rack the ram in or out to cover both ends of a long part. Sometimes it is necessary to create a reference point on the part or on the machine table so work on opposite ends can be kept in register. I have often used a block with a bored hole as a reference and just clamped it to the table.

Thread: Removing a grub screw
22/04/2019 03:40:23
Posted by XD 351 on 16/04/2019 12:08:00:

Hope like hell it isn’t an unbrako - that usually means using carbide tooling !

You can machine Unbrako screws with HSS tools. Just keep the speed low. Yes, it does tend to dull the tool.

Thread: Cheap DRO for Mill
22/04/2019 03:34:57

Many of the cheap DROs come without any instructions for mounting the scales and read heads. If you have not set up a DRO previously I suggest watching some of the videos from DRO Pros.

**LINK**

Thread: Milling Machine advise
22/04/2019 03:30:26

In my experience Bridgeport machines are over-priced, even for badly abused machines. There are many great Bridgeport clones coming out of Tiawan. I have a Sharp machine that even has hard chromed ways. It is every bit as good at a real Bridgeport. For a table-top machine I suggest the Rong Fu RF45. I have one that I am just beginning to use. I am in the process of mounting a DRO and plan to adapt a two speed motor to it. I like the fact that it is a geared head machine so I do not have to fiddle with belts.

Thread: Making Holes in Copper Sheet
20/04/2019 03:19:05

I have a set of these:

**LINK**

They work really well on sheet metal. For brass I had to dub the points. They will probably work as is for copper. Expect the holes to be a bit oversized due to runout of the cutter.

Thread: How much can a chuck effect finish?
18/04/2019 17:36:49

+1 more on bellmouthed jaws.

Thread: Poor finish using indexable lathe tools on steel
17/04/2019 03:05:26

If the chips curl back and contact the work it can mess up an otherwise good finish.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Allendale May 19
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest