By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Reese

Here is a list of all the postings John Reese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper pin reamers that rub...
01/04/2022 22:47:40

It is possible that the grind was to provide both primary and secondary relief angles. On your reamer the primary relief was ground wrong.

Thread: Screws on the back of Kurt style vise?
01/04/2022 22:43:09

They can also be used to mount a chip deflector.

Thread: Tapping straight
27/03/2022 22:14:36

One can make something similar to this:

**LINK**

Thread: Thread-cutting oil
25/03/2022 04:43:45

I use the dark cutting oil of the type plumbers us for threading pipe. It is especially good on gummy steels.

I know that bacon grease works very well but any left on the machine or the chip pan will go rancid.

Thread: Anyone come across a 15/32 AF spanner?
21/03/2022 03:39:38

About 65 years ago I purchased a set of open end wrenches from Sears Roebuck. I contained a couple of wrenches with odd 1/32 openings. I never found anything they fit.

Thread: Screw cutting problem
16/03/2022 23:23:25

JasonB' photos are n excellent description of how to set the compound slide for threading right hand threads cutting toward the headstock. For left hand threads and internal threads the compound slide must oriented differently. My rule of thumb is set the compound parallel with the trailing edge of the tool then move it about 1/2* toward perpendicular with the work. That works when feeding with the compound (flank feed). When feeding with the cross slide (plunge feed) the orientation of the tailstock is irrelevant.

Thread: Another mystery object
16/03/2022 22:32:05

Sometimes called a saw wrest.

Thread: T.P.I.
10/03/2022 22:23:30

Rule of thumb: at least 3 teeth in contact with the work.

Thread: Lathe Tool
10/03/2022 00:39:33

I have one of the Chinese imports. It works quite well on my 16" lathe. Because of the insert geometry it may not work so well on smaller less powerful machines.

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
10/03/2022 00:33:33

Lyle Peterson is a retired high school shop teacher. I don't think his expertise extends beyond what was required for that job.

Thread: Question about roughing or ripper end mills
08/03/2022 00:59:21

One thing I especially like about roughing mills is that the chips are granules rather than the needles produced by conventional end mills.

08/03/2022 00:56:10

Back to the Craig 2's question about the end grind: One of the flutes will extend to center while the other stop short of center. It is capable of plunging.

Thread: Spiral Taps
08/03/2022 00:21:00

I prefer spiral flute or spiral point taps depending on whether I have blind or through holes. I machine tap whenever I can because I am a lazy bastard. The life nof the tap is directly related to the quality of tap you purchase. I generally avoid Chinese or Indian imports.

Thread: Uk terms vs us for metals
05/03/2022 21:23:32

Precision ground flat stock, or gauge plate is available in the US in many grades of tool steel as well as low carbon steel. As an example: **LINK**

Thread: How can I cut a 0.75mm radius on a piece of soft rubber sheeting?
25/02/2022 00:45:21

Start with a piece of silver steel. Drill a 1.5mm hole in it. Cut the OD on a taper to form a sharp cutting edge. 20* should be about right. Cut away 3/4 of the circumference and to a height greater than the thickness of the rubber. Stone the cutting edge. Hardening would be optional depending on the number of corners you need to cut.

Thread: Parting tools and inserts
24/02/2022 00:11:21

I have experienced mixed luck when using carbide insert tooling for parting off. I have HSS parting blades for my 10" and 16" lathes. It is nice to be able to take it to the grinder and put a slight angle on the cutting edge to eliminate those nuisance pips from the cutoff part.

Thread: Read the T-shirt
10/02/2022 23:25:37

I need a shirt that says "I don't need anger management. You need to stop pissing me off." and one that says: Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity is forever."

Thread: what tools (HSS)
10/02/2022 23:08:27

When I took a shop course 1n 1955 we were not allowed to touch the lathe until we had ground our own tool bit. I think that is still a good idea. BTW I still have that tool. Many of the older charts show tool angles for use with holders that have 15* of back rake built in. The best chart I have seen for tool bits held flat is from Little Machine Shop. **LINK**

Thread: Jib Crane
04/02/2022 20:32:37

I bought one of these for loading my pickup truck:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672544_200672544

I made a pedestal that mounts to my shop floor. The crane portion drops into the pedestal. I also made a boom extension that telescopes inside the main boom. Of course it is necessary to de-rate the capacity when using the boom extension. I hung a small electric hoist from the end of the boom. I use it mainly for changing chucks on my 16" lathe.

Thread: Is this a dog?
30/01/2022 23:10:40

I think it i a spur center for wood turning. Used in the headstock.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest