By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Paxolin /SRBP
21/12/2018 17:32:36

I would propose a sharp knife and metal straight edge. Cut over size and sand to finish size. How are you proposing to measure 1220mm to +/-0.5 ?

Thread: Drill Speed
15/12/2018 15:12:23

Drill speed and diameter are related to feed and torque. Also having the correct cutting profile, point angle etc. As most of us use generic drills on a hand fed machine with little power we find what works by feel,or number of burnt out drills. Plenty of power calculations from the manufacturers if you want to get technical and have a power feed machine.

Thread: 2.05mm or #45?
13/12/2018 15:05:57

I always, for metric taps. take the pitch from the diameter and round to the nearest 0.1mm. Then drill and tap the hole in the same material but not the finished part to test. When I used to design tooling if the bought tools, and we could be talking of 100's, didn't cut to size they were sent back to wherever they came from to be re-ground.

Thread: Mini-Lathe Repair
08/12/2018 11:59:00

Geoff, with regard you jammed lead screw, I had similar on my SC3 and found it was the idler gear assembly. The idler gears are mounted on a steel bush running on a steel shaft Needless to say if not lubricated frequently the two seize. They are a bugger to get apart, but judicious use of a wedge(flat screwdriver) and hammer will separate. Then just try and remember to lubricate frequently. Of course alternatively could be just one of the bearing supports seized.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
07/12/2018 16:16:43

Just a bad week. Broke the drive belt on the lathe, no stock and not standard so looked for alternatives, now waiting for new pulleys and belts, which will have to be modified to fit. Then left the band saw unattended while going through 110mm bar. The blade jammed and now in need of a new motor. Oh well that's two jobs for next week!

Thread: Getting priorities right
06/12/2018 23:36:44

Gave up the weed 40 years ago, just stopped no alternatives just will power. For the people shouting poverty it is not just smoking, there’s the must have 50 inch tv, the car to get Jimmy to school, the mobile to keep everybody uptodate on Facebook etc. Worked with a guy a few years ago, trying to save for a house deposit, mentioned in passing his 40 quid a month phone contract x2, how could he do without it!! Come on brexit, let’s live on the seasons produce instead of the latest must eat from the other side of the world.

Thread: Some questions about a Collet Chuck
05/12/2018 16:41:11

Can’t you use a single spindle and arbor to gang mill the slots or do you have to use slot drills.

Thread: Drawing Copyright - if any?
05/12/2018 16:38:03

If I remember right the design has to be substantially different from anything else. Merely making it look different, cosmetics, or imperial to metric does not make enough change. The design has to be a new way to produce the similar product. There have been numerous court cases on likeness of product. As said any drawings you create solely for your use commit no design infringement. Some companies in the real world require all copies of drawings to be returned to them on completion of a contract.

Thread: Interests other than Model Engineering
04/12/2018 13:35:35

1. Photography (landscape, travel)

2. DIY, yes love a bit of decorating etc.

3. Walking, although not so much these days.

Been photographing for 40 odd years, from wet darkroom to digital. Only ever employed people for gas and electric jobs in the house, oh and plastering. Done extensions, bathrooms and kitchens, still enjoy it.

Thread: Hello from Leicestershire
01/12/2018 17:49:43

Hi Dave, welcome. I am also in Leicestershire, Syston actually so a short walk from or to Arc. Like you a single garage for a workshop.

Howard

Thread: Machining cylinder castings from bar stock
01/12/2018 13:00:21

I have machined cylinders for my 3 1/2' Evening Star from cast iron bar. With the shape required marked out on the end faces I removed the bulk of material by merely holding it in the vice and stepping the cutter up and over, then angling it to join the steps. Final finish was with a file and Dremel sanding discs.

Thread: x3 mill spares
27/11/2018 18:47:56

Thought I remembered a site during a recent search. Try this.**LINK**

Thread: Gearing
20/11/2018 19:08:59

A simple idler merely reverses direction so driver and driven rotate in same direction.

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
15/11/2018 14:53:11

I have used CAD for thirty years. Starting with AutoCad version 9 in 1988 on an 10mhz DOS machine with all of 10mb hard disk. Then onto Mechanical Desktop, also from Autodesk, which I found very good in 1998. Then onto Inventor when Autodesk bought out another company for its 3D core software and dropped MD. I then stuck with Inventor for business use and contracted for a few years, finding that I had to teach my new employers draughtsmen how to use it. The reason for this missive is that there is no one CAD answer and until you have used a product for a number of years you cannot know what it is capable of. I have worked alongside people using Solidedge and others because that is what a customer wants them to use, but at the end of the day the 3D model or drawing created still contains the same information just in a different file format. Most people give up with software of any kind because it appears complicated and they try to run before they can walk. While creating macros to do something can automate a process the same can be done without knowing about macros, but some people want to try to create them and then struggle to do the basics because of it.

My answer to all computer users is start simple, don't be looking to recreate the models we have seen elsewhere on this forum in sometime soon. Just be able to create a few simple pieces in the software you have and slowly learn one thing at a time. Build on skills you learn with the software you have and ignore everything else. There will always be someone who says mine is better than yours because, but ask them what else they have used and for how long.

I'll stick with Fusion 360, as its free and does what i want.

Thread: Do I need a hole in sintered bronze bearings
14/11/2018 17:32:25

The only time I can remember adding oil to oil item bearings is when they had lost oil due to incorrect storage. Then before fitting the bearing was left submerged in suitable oil for 24 hours. I have never used any additional external oiling after fitting. Perhaps for this installation a bronze bush such as a Glacier du would be better, then additional oil loss system could be used for lubrication. Also a du would be have a higher load rating.

Thread: Small Hex Fastenings
05/11/2018 16:33:10

**LINK** Bought lots from these, stainless steel, good quality and prices, quick delivery.

Thread: re seating a ball??
01/11/2018 15:04:06

Preferably use a new ball after re-seating as per RevStew.

Thread: Nut screws washer and bolts
24/10/2018 13:31:12

Having worked on life time critical designs in the past and seeing all the calculations required to just prove a fixing method, I think the best is to do it the way you are comfortable with. There are numerous documents out there that prove by calculation and test how things should be fitted. Working in a model environment we don't have any safety critical fixings, except perhaps for those things attached to pressure vessels. I have attached a link which some may find interesting.

**LINK**

Thread: Needle thrust bearings
16/10/2018 14:32:20

Needle thrust bearings are often used where a lower profile or small diameter are required when compared to ball or roller thrusts. One thing to bear in mind when mounting is that the housing washer is better fitted into a sized counterbore as there is no radial location as in a ball type which has a grooved track. I would normally fit the housing washer into a recess and the shaft washer onto the shaft of all thrust bearings to prevent the washers moving, but I accept it is not important on hand rotation.

Thread: Warwickshire Event Centre, Leamington Spa
12/10/2018 12:29:20

I’m going Sunday, on holiday till then. Wouldn’t go on a Friday, as travelling from M1 north and traffic is a BIG problem in the week. Sunday quiet drive across country and going to similar shows has always been good.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest