By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper pins
29/05/2019 22:41:18

Taper pin drills, drills with a taper, are available for those who wish to drill a tapered hole before taper reaming.

Thread: help with gear calculations
29/05/2019 22:33:32

Just reach for gear suppliers. The main are people like HPC, KHK, Davall and others most are quite happy with small one off orders as even industrial users often only need one.

29/05/2019 22:30:41

I suspect it might be 12DP gear. Although working on 1 9/32" and 17 (T+2) it comes out at 13.333DP. Can you measure the rack teeth length over say 10 or so teeth, this will give you the pitch length, then the DP can be calculated from that.

Have a look here for tooth dimensions, if it is a help.

KHK Gears

Thread: How does this collet work?
29/05/2019 22:15:09

A link to Google books for those who need to read further.

**LINK**

Thread: Ballscrews?
29/05/2019 16:01:23

With those sort of dimensions a four post lift would be possible with ball screws in each corner connected by chain or possibly toothed belt. For simplicity you could hand turn them. The problem is the supporting frame for each panel to prevent them bending. I think you need to sketch it out to see what you actual loading is on the floor, you may be adding more weight than you think. Could you slide the panels under the rest of the track and slide and lift one into place at a time, possibly with a simple cam action lever, this would lessen the weight being moved.

29/05/2019 11:53:14

You have weight?? A car jack uses a screw about 16 mm dia to lift a quarter of a car!

29/05/2019 10:31:21

As Mike says, dangerous in this situation. I would use a simple trapezoidal or acme thread, perfect for occasional movements. Ballscrews are used for applications where in continual movement. While the load is perfectly acceptable you would need some sort of safety device to arrest. There are many types of ball nut for different mounting ways and accuracy, a simple reversed flange nut would do what you want. Also need to consider the dirt that is around, fine particles would soon wear the ballscrew even with wipers. Best to look up a UK manufacturer and give them a ring for advice. I used ballscrews in machine tool designs for years, and although some were rebuilt at service rebuild time most outlasted the component the machine was producing.

Thread: Taper pins
28/05/2019 10:39:32

Taper pin holes are reamed through so that the small end, nominated diameter of the pin, goes through an extends slightly beyond. Then the excess length is removed to give a clean finish. I would think these days taper pins are used for shear pins mostly as Seloc type or roll pins are an easier fit.

Thread: Restoring a Myford ML1
25/05/2019 19:11:46

Give it up now. If you had access to a reasonable size mill and lathe for free, access to metal for free, and know someone with machine tool experience then I would say have a go. But as a complete beginner, don’t bother unless you have deep pockets and endless time. Minor faults on a running machine can be sorted as and when required but a complete rebuild is another matter. I have worked with machine rebuilders in my past life, the money and time thrown at a working machine is ridiculous about 50 to 75% of a new machine when and if they were available, but the customer ended up with machine of greater accuracy and longer potential life with the upgrades. But here I am talking of production machine probably no more the five to ten years old. A clapped out wreck is useful to put in the corner as a project for the future, that way you can spend your hard earned cash on something that you will no doubt upgrade in three years time, the balance weight will still be there for your retirement project. Plenty of useable machines out there both new and second hand and plenty of people can tell you why there’s is the best to buy. Just by something that you can learn on and look to the present and the future will come.

Thread: Beginners question (sorry) - why I am breaking my small centre drills?
23/05/2019 18:27:40

Check that the tailstock spindle doesn’t move around, any free play will try to bend the centre drill off centre. Slightly clamp the spindle to stiffen things up. Use a collet chuck rather than a drill chuck to try to get better true position.

Thread: Childhood diseases
23/05/2019 15:23:31

Like others I was sent to the latest infected child in the 50's. Had about everything going by the time I was 10, except for chickenpox, caught that of my kids while on holiday in Florida in the 80's. They had it the week before while I was in Sweden on buisness.

Thread: How does this collet work?
22/05/2019 21:26:59

It is a Morse taper split sleeve drill driver. The drill to suit the driver is parallel shank with a small pair of flats on the end. Used in production setups for small drills, cheaper to use with replaceable straight shank drill rather than morse taper. Used to use these quite a lot on multi spindle drill heads with smaller, sub 10mm drills.

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 14:06:42

Was going to suggest to check that a padlock appears against the web address, making it a secure web site, but having checked a number of links I have most are not secure. Perhaps people with older web sites should check that they have the current required security levels to protect both their site and its visitors.

Thread: Parting off query
16/05/2019 21:42:59

If you snapped the blade then it may be plain HSS. I had this happen to mine and changed it to a M42 HSS-Co8, had a few snags but the blade has remained as one.

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 06:54:07

As Mark said, drill from solid or a spotted hole. Using too large a pre drill will cause chatter as the drill or bends as it rotates grabbing at various points during rotation. The alternative is to use a core drill in a predrilled hole. Core drills are three or four flute drills which are meant to be used for opening holes out, they have no point only chamfer on the leading edge so stay centred on a pre drilled hole. Also they are run slower at greater feed.

Thread: Backlash on SX2p mill
28/04/2019 18:07:22

As Jason said adjust the leedscrew nuts. If you wind the axis out to its maximum the adjusting screws can be seen. Adjustment stretches the split nut to apply some tightening on pitch. You have to do it at the end of travel then see what happens at the mid position, which is were most slack probably is. Mine is only three years old and reasonably worked but still adjusts ok.

Thread: Z Axis-Support
22/04/2019 13:19:24

It looks as you have the cylinder mounted with the rod up. Manufacturers recommend rod down so that the rod seal remains lubrcated.

Thread: Keyway steel
18/04/2019 15:13:54

According to Macreadys orange book, EN6A - 080M30, is key steel. It is as supplied finished to British Standard, both imperial and metric key tolerances. Key steel can be bought in 12 inch lengths as a minimum, I think we always bought 36 inch, from most bearing suppliers. But do as most people do and use what is to hand.

Thread: Chinese dovetail cutter
07/04/2019 22:51:10

I bought a HSS dovetail cutter from Tracy Tools at a show about 12 months ago, £15, has performed well in steel. Probably cut about 1000mm so far with occasional use of aerosol lubricant. Make sure the cutter diameter is big enough for the depth you need to cut, and small enough to get between the inner corners of the ways.

Thread: Dishwasher detergents
30/03/2019 11:29:54

+1 for everything Aldi. Have been a regular shopper there for 20+ years. Detergents are all very good.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest