By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How not to use a clamp
22/01/2021 21:57:35

First let me say I am, like others quite ok with Ade’s clamping for what he is doing, and he makes some entertaining videos. I think one of the problems of the force of the heel of the clamp is the softness of some mill tables, not usually a problem with industrial hardened tables, excessive forces will indent a small heel into the table surface. No one has moaned yet about the clamp stud and nut, no spherical washer below the nut so bending the stud assembly. As I say you do what you need to do in the privacy of your own workshop to get the job done with what is at hand.

Thread: Files - what do I need to know
18/01/2021 16:24:29

Don't forget file thickness, thinner files can used in slots, say 3 or 4mm so usually smaller 150mm long. Get all cuts in a mid size file as you will want to change cut as you get nearer to finish/size required. Also a file brush to keep the file free of debris and wooden handles.

Thread: Mill mechanical Slideway Swarf covers
16/01/2021 16:39:54

For ideas on how it is done in industry have a look hereSlide way covers. Use to use these a lot.

Thread: Water pump for spindle cooling
14/01/2021 14:20:02

Have you worked out how much water you need to pass through to achieve a required temperature, Rather than look for ideas a few calculations may be more useful.

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
14/01/2021 14:17:49

Unfortunately at that age where death is all too common now, quite a few people we know have known people who have died during this last year from non covid illness but had it included on their death certificate. Although at least one had it removed from cause of death. Just wonder if it is used as a catch all to ease the paperwork.

Like most we keep safe and overuse FaceTime etc

Thread: Mini lathe feed
13/01/2021 16:06:01

If you look at Journeymans photo you can see a couple of slotted screws, These act on a crude dovetail which constrains a slide which the half nut is worked with. I find that these screws come loose and prevent the nut from locking in place. It is a bit of a fiddle to get this set up right but I find that this is what is needed most of the time. At some point I will take mine off and do something more positive with it. Despite the swarf aspect I think two half nuts are better than one

Thread: Mill base?
10/01/2021 20:51:56

Things may be sorted but have to wait until they are back in the office. If not then I have a good idea for the design of a base and will wait until the machine arrives.

As to naming convention. Every country in the world calls some item by some other name and as time goes by the world becomes smaller and so words are dropped and others replace them. You only have to look at the differences in the English, is it British or American or anywhere else in the English speaking world. Where ever it is you may not understand a description from a single word and request a few more words to understand their interpretation.

Thread: Total cost + import for Tormach PCNC 440, and alternatives?
08/01/2021 11:57:10

Ady1. I worked for a company that was a large CNC machine supplier some years ago and can understand how difficult it can be. A CNC machine these days can be complicated chunk of metal needing mechanical, electrical pneumatic and hydraulic engineers before you even get to the CNC control and cutter technologies. The company i worked for more or less started from scratch with CNC imports, learning over the years and creating the staff to handle all aspects, a very expensive buisness. When you call out an engineer and you are talking probably a £1000+ a day it starts out as being expensive and I doubt that the types of machine you are thinking of have professional installation and tuition at the start. If you adapt your own machine at least you will be able to service it and know what makes it all do what it does also you will have a choice of control software.

Thread: Rejoice, Rejoice, I have at long last achieved something!
08/01/2021 10:38:10

I have LED in all rooms but hall which has D fluorescent. LEDs from various sources and in all types screw, bayonet, G9, G10 etc never had a problem with any of them. Just before Christmas had a trip to IKEA and got rid of the last CFL in an Angelpoise lamp and fitted one of their LED. I think we have around twenty four bulbs in fixed fittings most of them for around fifteen years only replacements have been in the lounge and that is only once.

Thread: Calculating Gears
07/01/2021 18:32:12

How I calculate these. 0.731ctrs x 2 = 1.462 x 80 dp = 116.96 total no of teeth in gear pair, 117/ 3 gives 39 and 78 as true gear pair for 2:1 ratio. Reduce 78 tooth gear to give centres required.

Thread: Mill base?
07/01/2021 11:29:27

Paul, Nicholas, Ramon, thanks for your input. I think I have almost convinced myself that a steel base is needed. In the not too distant future we shall be moving to a smaller property and I need something mobile. When the machine comes I can take some measurements and make a base to suit, the limiting factor is probably the up and over garage door and the angle of the drive down to it. I could end ups making it in two sections to raise it up if the door height is too little, Don't expect the machine any time soon as Warco have had to shut down due to Covid according to the site yesterday, but hopefully not too long.

Ramon, yes mine is also a seventieth present.

Discussion on the vagaries of machine naming is not necessary, I bought the machine having fully read the specification first and the name last. Being from a machine tool design background specification is always the first thing I read wether it is for a phone, TV or car, advertising blurb has never caused me to buy anything, that I am aware of.

06/01/2021 19:22:43

Andrew. I was merely naming it as Warco do. Education is fine but after sixty odd years of it you do not need to educate me on metal cutting machines.

06/01/2021 18:50:22

I have just ordered a birthday present for me, a Warco GH Universal milling machine. At this time the base is out of stock so it will have to sit on something else for the time being. My SX2P sits easily on some converted kitchen cabinets but the GH is somewhat heavier. So a question, what alternative base do you use for this or similar sized machine? If the stock times go on I may end up building a base somewhat similar to the standard but as a bolted structure, I am no welder.

Thread: Stuart Turner
28/12/2020 19:48:09

Thanks br, perhaps we will have a show sometime this year and can get something there.

28/12/2020 17:51:33

Does Stuart’s have a physical shop at Bridport, in normal times that is. Just may be down that way next year and fancy a present or two.

Thread: Stepper interface small servos
23/12/2020 13:27:12

I think it is 0.2deg error per revolution on the output shaft with an 1800 per revolution pulse on the motor. Adequate for a robot not a machine axis.

Thread: Which Laptop
22/12/2020 12:43:30

Not Linux but I run Windows 10 on a 15 year old laptop now with SSD and the startup is almost instantaneous. So +1 for SSD upgrade, plenty of choice for under £100 and if not satisfied just use it as an external drive with your new laptop.

Thread: Tracking
20/12/2020 11:44:08

Some tracking systems work very well some of the time. I can sometimes see exactly where the deliverer is at any time on the day, Amazon. Other times although having a tracking number, Post Office, it does not report anything on the tracking web site.

Recently have had really good deliveries, the best was ordering off Amazon Saturday afternoon and arrived at 6:45am Sunday, and Post Office delivered from Glasgow to Leicester in three days. No complaints here.

Thread: Case hardening a part with tapped holes.
19/12/2020 22:28:32

Rather than finish the part before hardening, carburise then counterbore the surface where the holes will go to remove the carbon, then harden, finally drill and tap.

Thread: BCA jigborer motor
19/12/2020 15:33:49

Motors are sized to standards, have a look at the motor and it should have a frame size such as D112 as a metric or a Nema size such as 48. Metric sizes relate to shaft height. Depends how old the machine is but metric motors have been in use in the UK for most of my working life, 50+ years. With the details you can then look at motor manufacturers sheets to choose a motor. Alternatively as some will say get an inverter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest