By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Leaf springs
26/01/2020 11:15:09

I found and bought some spring steel strip from Reeves at a reasonable price.

Thread: Painted T Slots
26/01/2020 11:13:38

Tee slots in machine tables are machined. The throat, the slot which is at the table surface, is toleranced so that a register can be fitted from it to a holding device and make it easy to fit it parallel to the column. The bottom of the slot is there to hold the tee nut. I suppose these days the slots could be cast in but I doubt on small machines. Just check the size of the throat and machine some keys to fit and align with these.

Thread: CNC Milling
26/01/2020 08:45:29

they are hobby machines and some are lighter router machines meant for wood and light materials. A full size cnc mill will remove high levels of metal, removal rate is dependant on spindle power. There is a big difference between a 500 watt powered spindle and a 20kw one.

Thread: Noise Isolating Platform
25/01/2020 07:24:04

Isolation mounts are available in all sorts of forms, from simple rubber feet or pads to bonded metal and rubber types. Used to use a fair few in machine builds for reducing harmonic vibration in drive motors.

Thread: scam alert
25/01/2020 07:20:07

I get phone calls still, often silent, but some times the recording starts. Do others around the world beyond the UK get targeted by scams by whatever means ?

Thread: Torx Grub Screws?
22/01/2020 15:22:25

As most are wondering but not asking, why Torx, what are you hoping to gain over straight Allen grub screws.

Thread: Problem with my downstairs ;)
21/01/2020 21:20:51

May be bearing locknuts, dependant on thread size and pitch. Look up SKF KM nut or other bearing manufacturer, they are all to a standard.

Thread: Compressors
21/01/2020 13:50:21
Posted by not done it yet on 21/01/2020 12:32:04:

Take it along to a garage forecourt and use their air supply?

Edited By not done it yet on 21/01/2020 12:32:23

You have to pay for air these days at most garages. May be cheaper to gat a compressor in the long run.

Thread: Dunlop Taper Bushes
21/01/2020 13:43:39

TaperLock dimensions

Found my dimension sheet for bores to accept taper lock bushes, rather than post found the same on the above link.

Howard

Thread: Arc Euro Trade website down
20/01/2020 16:33:00

Just shows how reliant we are on the internet theses days. How long would it take for shops to appear if the WWW went down for good.

Thread: Dunlop Taper Bushes
20/01/2020 15:29:48

I do have a drawing showing all dimensions somewhere. Remember there are two holes to hold the taper lock in and the threaded to act as an extractor. Will dig out drawings and get back unless someone beats me to it.

Thread: Apologies for raising this again
19/01/2020 17:30:57

Clamp the flywheel to the mill table then with use of x and y hand wheels roughly mill off the teeth. Make a mandrel to fit the bore with a flange on the chuck side that has two or one drive slot that the stud can be driven by and a nut or washer and bolts on the end. Then finish turn on this.

You may think it daft to try to mill round a circle with x and y hand wheels but you may be surprised how easy it is and how close you can get.

Thread: 4x6 bandsaw
18/01/2020 16:23:15

After tensioning the blade with the blade guides slack rotate the blade drive wheel by hand to check that the blade stays in place. If the blade starts to move of the wheel you will need to alter the alignment. Keep doing this until the blade tracks without moving off. Then tighten the blade guides so that the blade is square at the cutting position.

Thread: angular contact bearing selection
12/01/2020 17:01:29

Having designed linear waxed ballscrew slides over the most of the last 30 years, my twopenerth for what it is worth. I will say that obviously working life was the most important factor along with rigidity and positional repetition as the machines we built were heavy high production machines cost was not too important.

As a hobbyist cost can be the most important, but the final design needs to give satisfactory results. The ballscrew needs to be mounted such that the drive end maintains concentric running with the motor, within any couplings allowable deviation. It also needs to run so that the axis is true to the ball nut, some require greater accuracy than others. The tail end can either be unsupported or supported, depending on length/diameter/speed. Look at the manufactures catalogues for guidance, you only need to look at one toggle you the idea, SKF, THK, Thompson etc.

The easiest way is to mount a standard ballscrew bearing block and directly mount the flange of the motor to it with a servo class coupling between. Mount a single sealed ball bearing in a block to support the other end of the ball screw. To fix the nut to the slide, make a block with a slot that will fit over the ballscrew and a bore through that is clearance on the nut. That way you can drop the slide over the ballscrew with it all aligned to the ways. The face of the block should be mounted to the slide with a key across it, this ensures that the block is square to the sideways.

Bt all means use what ever angular contacts you want, just make sure the assembly is stiff and adequately sealed for the environment. The biggest test will be making sure the ballscrew is mounted parallel to the ways in all directions and remains there when the slide is mounted. So you need to ensure that you can mount all three parts and fix in position before amy slide is mounted.

Read the catalogues and it may make sense.

Howard

Thread: Co2 emissions.. Steam or diesel best?
10/01/2020 20:09:26

A couple of years ago I went on the Mount Washington cog railway. We were told the steam locomotives had been changed form coal to green diesel. I think one of the owners has something to do with green diesel production. Any way they used two ton of coal for the whole trip, now they use five gallons of diesel. Figure the CO2 change not only for the journey but also the delivery of fuel to the site.

Thread: Archiving old data
25/12/2019 22:59:49

Remember also it is not only the media which may not be be able to be read it is also the file format. Some software like cad has changed file format during its lifetime which if not updated the file format becomes unsupported.

25/12/2019 19:52:00

In days long gone gold coloured CDs were used for archiving as they were less susceptible to degradation by light. But whatever you use it should be checked at least yearly to ensure there is no data loss or failure of the media. I started using floppy disks back in 1990 on a daily basis and can say have never lost any data stored for archive. Also have only had two drive failures in PCs in daily use. What ever you use you should keep three backups and not keeping them in the same place.

Thread: 2nd Hand Hearing Aid Reprogramming?
17/12/2019 08:26:37

I wear hearing aids so was interested in this. Looking on the net I believe the information is incorrect. Whilst NICE cover hearing aids it is recommendations on implementation. There seem to be firms out there who can and do service secondhand aids. A bit of a search will come up with a few companies in the UK who will do what you want.

Thread: Keyway Broaching
16/12/2019 16:00:49

Just had one thought, you could drill a hole at the end of the required key position and slot into that rather than going all the way through.

Thread: Imp to Metric conversion round up or down
16/12/2019 15:58:53

You can round to what ever you like. If a part is made from stock, then it is the nearest either way. Other than the look of things it doesn't matter what you make something so long as it fits together. Remember that most standard size reamers are whole numbers, while upto 10mm is easily available in 1mm steps, over 10 may be not. Also screw sizes, whilst small screws are available in the odd 0.1 steps bigger ones are in 1mm. I use metric conversion on the fly and just check what the mating part is and make to suit.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
mid gard rail Jan 2020
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest