By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fake Websites
18/05/2019 14:06:42

Was going to suggest to check that a padlock appears against the web address, making it a secure web site, but having checked a number of links I have most are not secure. Perhaps people with older web sites should check that they have the current required security levels to protect both their site and its visitors.

Thread: Parting off query
16/05/2019 21:42:59

If you snapped the blade then it may be plain HSS. I had this happen to mine and changed it to a M42 HSS-Co8, had a few snags but the blade has remained as one.

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
16/05/2019 06:54:07

As Mark said, drill from solid or a spotted hole. Using too large a pre drill will cause chatter as the drill or bends as it rotates grabbing at various points during rotation. The alternative is to use a core drill in a predrilled hole. Core drills are three or four flute drills which are meant to be used for opening holes out, they have no point only chamfer on the leading edge so stay centred on a pre drilled hole. Also they are run slower at greater feed.

Thread: Backlash on SX2p mill
28/04/2019 18:07:22

As Jason said adjust the leedscrew nuts. If you wind the axis out to its maximum the adjusting screws can be seen. Adjustment stretches the split nut to apply some tightening on pitch. You have to do it at the end of travel then see what happens at the mid position, which is were most slack probably is. Mine is only three years old and reasonably worked but still adjusts ok.

Thread: Z Axis-Support
22/04/2019 13:19:24

It looks as you have the cylinder mounted with the rod up. Manufacturers recommend rod down so that the rod seal remains lubrcated.

Thread: Keyway steel
18/04/2019 15:13:54

According to Macreadys orange book, EN6A - 080M30, is key steel. It is as supplied finished to British Standard, both imperial and metric key tolerances. Key steel can be bought in 12 inch lengths as a minimum, I think we always bought 36 inch, from most bearing suppliers. But do as most people do and use what is to hand.

Thread: Chinese dovetail cutter
07/04/2019 22:51:10

I bought a HSS dovetail cutter from Tracy Tools at a show about 12 months ago, £15, has performed well in steel. Probably cut about 1000mm so far with occasional use of aerosol lubricant. Make sure the cutter diameter is big enough for the depth you need to cut, and small enough to get between the inner corners of the ways.

Thread: Dishwasher detergents
30/03/2019 11:29:54

+1 for everything Aldi. Have been a regular shopper there for 20+ years. Detergents are all very good.

Thread: Have your fathers habits rubbed off on you. Just for fun
30/03/2019 11:28:03

My dad was very domineering and very opinionated when I was at home, mellowed a bit in old age, but my wife sometimes remarks that I had better not become my dad when I say something in a particular manner. He was a chief draughtsman eventually and I met a number of people in my working life who had worked under him, they all gave me their sympathy. He had a few hobbies in his life, photography, woodwork, gardening but never stuck to anything throughout his life. I have stuck to mine, photography, model making etc all my life. Hope I keep to all up for many more years.

Thread: Odd furrow like finish when taper turning?
26/03/2019 12:23:27

If the gibs are loose it could be the tool tipping, ie rocking back and forth so altering tool depth. Make sure everything is tight but still movable. If you still get rocking r twisting then some remedial work is required to the slide and cross slide.

Thread: Recommended paint for a FLB redwood external door?
20/03/2019 15:26:33

Paint, oil or varnish just make sure it is exterior grade for the material to be covered. Have painted many doors over the years and never had a problem. Occasionally pass by my fathers old house and I painted the garage door about 15 years ago and still looks the same. For yours, if it was me it would be a Osmo or Sadolin finish.

Thread: Jones and Shipman 540 Dripping
19/03/2019 21:19:40

Use to heat black pudding in boiling water, now I cover in film and microwave, as said never fry it goes hard. Dripping on white bread no salt, pork is favourite. Lard on toast, maybe a little salt. Treats of bygone era, kids don’t know what they are missing.

Thread: ER25 or MT2 Collets
18/03/2019 16:17:41

I have a Sieg SX2P 3MT and use an ER25 collet holder. Most of the time the maximum cutter I use is 8mm, I found this to be the sweet spot for metal removal and vibration. Almost never use the maximum 16mm and only use 1/2 inch for a dovetail cutter and 12mm for a fly cutter. ER25 gives me good visibilty around the cutter although I have raised the column by about 75mm as there seemed a lot of waster travel.

Thread: Cast Iron stress relieving
14/03/2019 08:23:55

Where I worked, in Leicester, castings were kept outside. But this was in the days of reasonable volumes when buying a 100 or so of a part was no big deal. Move on twenty years and small volume and single castings, heat treatment of castings and fabrications. Lastly over the last years some vibrational stress relieving of fabrications and machining from solid rather than casting.

Thread: Mixing Gear Module?
14/03/2019 08:16:31

In answer to the original question, yes you can mix the module or dp, but obviously in pairs. One thing to bear in mind though that gear power and wear are proportional to the module and number of teeth. So if you had a gear in the train of 18T at 1 mod it would need to be 36T at 0.5 mod, unless you use a stronger material. Using different tooth sizes will enable you to get odd ratios probably in smaller sizes, I.e using 127T at 0.5mod.

Thread: Precision division plates
09/03/2019 10:07:19

Used many Hirth couplings over the years on rotary indexing applications, most were in the region of 600mm diameter. The parts carrying the two rings were guided in fairly loose plain bearings allowing the coupling to make position. The concept of the Hitrth coupling is that the accuracy increases slightly as the halves bed into each other. I mostly used the lower tooth counts too suit the index required which was usually multiples of two. Expensive pieces but simple. As well as two piece there are three piece which have an inner and an outer ring joined by a single ring on the other side, this allows one ring to remain in contact with the fixed ring at all times during indexing.

Thread: EN1a vs EN3 steel
06/03/2019 12:27:14

I’ve used Rapid Metals near Coventry. Good selection, round, flat and angle in most metals and some plastic. Do bags of offcuts at good price general prices seem to have increased recently. Plenty of short lengths on racks but can cut easily enough.

Thread: SX2p mill gas struts
25/02/2019 15:27:01

On my SX2P, 3MT, I weighed the head at around 15kg. I used two GS6-160-200 at £16 each. The assembly was made with the rods pointed down as required.

Thread: file
21/02/2019 23:09:42

No he stated Swiss pattern not Swiss made, another option is USA pattern.

Thread: Pensions
21/02/2019 15:48:55

How would you know you were with a floosie in the Monte Carlo honeymoon suite if the dementia had kicked in 15 years previously?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale May 19
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest