By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A few Thou Under?
02/04/2020 17:59:37

Always use nominal diameter, as Tubal Cain, may be a little under. If you thread bright drawn bar, ie 10mm with M10 die the thread will work. If you measure threaded bar, it will be under size on the od.

Thread: Coronavirus
02/04/2020 17:52:48

For those living in or near Warwick, with a 3D printer, and wanting to help.

Face mask supply

No connection with company, just know of it.

Thread: Guidelines for which steel to use for projects
02/04/2020 16:12:33

As Tim said we are not making something that will run for 16 hours a day 6 days a week. We always made hardened gears out of EN24, note made out of plastic on a mini lathe, and induction hardened shafts out of EN16. Also we had to buy metal by the tonne in per size, I don't think many of us in the UK have a workshop big enough to store that much material unless you fancy buying six inch bar and machining it down each time.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
30/03/2020 14:55:18

Finished building a Worden cutter grinder, just got a couple of attachments to make for end mills and slitting saws.

Also finally replaced the spindle bearings on my SC3. Four years of use and cutting vibration getting decidedly worse. Decided on angular contacts for now so I can measure up what I need to make for rollers in the future. Milled some slots into the abutment face of each bearing bore to make for easier removal next time, though it probably won't be me doing it.

SC3 spindle housing.jpg

Thread: Arc Euro and Coronavirus
29/03/2020 20:22:33

Being local to ARC, I am able to just walk or drive down to collect stuff. In fact I was down there at the start of all this. I can understand Ketan’s worries, it is almost impossible for there to be more than one person working in order to keep apart. Also as the government has requested non essential workplaces to shut then so be it.

See you all when you restart.

Thread: Square thread cutting
29/03/2020 19:30:07

You don’t need to create a tool with the full width of the thread form. Easier to create a narrower tool and shift it sideways to get full form and a good fit. Obviously of more use on larger thread forms.

Thread: o-ring groove in plate
27/03/2020 19:13:07

What is the purpose of the o-ring. Could it be held in a counterbore into one face.

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 20:01:30

I don’t use rubber, I use used silicon oven sheets. They are thin and pretty heat proof, easily cut with scissors or knife. We buy them from Aldi.

Thread: scam alert
25/03/2020 15:42:08

Just had a scam email from TV Licensing-Directdebit Gov.UK ID:46151991. Strangely in the last couple of weeks had a letter from the real setup. I know my renewal date is not for some months yet and always suspicious of these type of email.

Scam purported to be unable to automatically renew and want me to click on to setup direct debit. Email address to me is correct, biut licence number incorrect as is expiry date.

So unless you want your bank account plundered, take heed.

Thread: Tapping (full depth or reduced)
23/03/2020 20:30:24

Increasing the size of hole makes no difference, you are placing a taper in a hole, if it was a tap ground with no lead threads them different matter. Reducing the diameter makes no difference until the tap won’t enter the hole.

i always deduct the pitch from the diameter for the nearest drill size, for metric threads which is all I use.

Thread: Industrial Milling Machine
23/03/2020 12:33:30

At 13hp and ISO50 is a big machine. How big are the parts you want to produce? Table travel distance may be an issue for machine size. You need travel to be the length of the part plus two cutter diameters plus a bit on each end, that is ideal but you could get away with a little less. Also with aluminium spindle speed is another criteria, for production feeds and speeds will relate to spindle horsepower to work efficiently.

Thread: Coronavirus
21/03/2020 07:54:24

Doesn’t this lock down and reduction in services give the ideal opportunity for rail and roads to be worked on. Alright people will be working in close proximity but they should be using ppe anyway. Perhaps if some one knows an mp or two they could have a word. But knowing how these things work they will wait until everyone has to get back to work before shutting down at the weekends to do critical work.

Thread: What to use for New Worktop?
20/03/2020 13:53:57

My main worktop in the shed is three six foot lengths of 6x4 I think beech on three supports. I think the whole thing is probably around seventy years old. My father, who built it originally, worked in a pattern making firm all his life, except for six years in the RAF during the war. He used to say that the factory floor was covered in teak planks as that was used as ballast on returning ships after the war. Hopefully the bench will get handed on when I am ready.

Thread: Acetal or phosphur bronze
17/03/2020 07:25:56

It is worth giving it a go. The bearing is just a support, load on the bearing depends on the size of the hand wheel and the force you use to overcome friction and cutting forces. Nothing lost when it fails again, then use a leaded bronze.

Thread: Printers
07/03/2020 13:28:51

Try using a heavier weight paper. I had to go to 80 from 70gm when the transport system stopped picking up the paper consistently.

Thread: Windows 7 to 10 upgrade
06/03/2020 16:18:56

Recently updated three Windows 7 laptops, including one with unknown log on code. No problems with any of them. Not sure what I will use two of them for, just thought they might come in useful for something in the future,

Thread: Deep hole "D" bit advice needed.
05/03/2020 15:14:33

May be more expense than you want, but what about a gun drill. Used to have a lot of holes gun drilled in the past for hydraulic and pneumatic pathways. How about discussing with a tool manufacturer such as Guhring.

Thread: ER25 closing nuts
02/03/2020 12:40:21

I think every time you disassemble and reassemble you will get a different reading. Consistent results may be achieved to within a tolerance if everything in the assembly is consistent.

Thread: lathe spindle runout
01/03/2020 13:37:43

Each part in the tool mount train will be manufactured to a tolerance. While the tolerances are tight there will always be some degree of geometric variation introduced at the tool point or workpiece, even bar material is not truely round or square. Achieving near zero is done by tuning the final mount, so both the tool and the workpiece are true to each other. There has been discussions on this forum last year on machine tolerance.

Thread: LBSC's Designs
26/02/2020 16:08:28

I am in the process of building a 3 1/2 inch Evening Star, all fasteners, threads and holes are metric. All parts are made to fit each other so who knows looking at a model wether it is metric or imperial. Alright the hexagons are a little bigger but I am building for my satisfaction not an exhibition piece or for club critique.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest