By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Amazon Prime scam?
07/07/2020 21:33:01

I have had numerous emails purporting to be from well known business, BT, Amazon, PayPal, etc. All seem to originate from an IP address in the USA, all in the same area around Atlanta. Phone calls easily masked with UK numbers, latest we had was from Azerbaijan.

Thread: Unable To Access MEW On Tablet
01/07/2020 17:18:48

I can’t get it to work on my new Android 10 phone either, after multiple downloads. From reviews there seems plenty of others have had the same problem.

Thread: The fit of tapers
29/06/2020 08:04:38

I have used bearings with a tapered inner race in the past for high load situations.

Thread: wonky thrust bearings?
27/06/2020 19:21:28

Have you room between the thrust bearing to install a needle bearing with inner race. This will help position the shaft and not rely on the thrust bearings which give no support. I assume from what you have said before the housing washers are locating on there outer diameters correctly just that they are not concentric.

27/06/2020 18:10:47

Why not replace whole set with 7002 ac bearings. A reasonable accuracy set will be way better although do not over tension the drive belt.

Thread: Brazing Oilite bearings
26/06/2020 21:29:46

I doubt you will get them clean enough. Even if you could remove the oil I think there will be other elements left. Base material may also give a problem with the attainable temperature before it melts.

Thread: Hermes Parcels
25/06/2020 18:20:05

There was a discussion yesterday dinner, June 24, on BBC4, about Hermes from both the sellers and receivers. Some horror stories of missing and lost parcels. They said that contact was impossible when problems occurred and if queried again they just got an email to say it was sorted. Having said that I had a Hermes delivery last week and all came as prescribed int the time prescribed.

Thread: UNF reducing bush
20/06/2020 13:33:58

I doubt you will find one, the difference between the core diameter of 7/8 and the old of 3/4 only leaves around 0.032” in diameter. Unless you can accomodate an adaptor.

Thread: Jacobs morse taper chuck.
18/06/2020 14:13:19

Drill chucks can be either held just on the taper, or sometimes held with an additional screw from inside the chuck. I just open up the jaws and place a bar inside and strike it to pop off the taper. In addition chucks can be screwed on like on portable drills.

Thread: Best places to buy metal for machining
16/06/2020 15:38:42

I always collect mine from Rapid Metals, its cheaper to collect and I can have a sort through their racks to see if something takes my fancy. A round trip only takes about an hour and a half and I can always visit Axminster in Nuneaton.

Thread: Off cuts ?
16/06/2020 09:49:25

The material I buy from Rapid Metals is all marked. Bar ends usually have the original paint codes as when they supply cut blanks to engineering shops they don’t supply the ends, hence offcut. They are happy to cut what you want and have a good supply of ferrous, stainless, aluminium, brass etc.

16/06/2020 07:38:31

I buy most of my metal from Rapid Metals, they have a couple of places and welcome hobbyists. They used to have bags of off cuts split into type, round, square, stainless etc. Although last time I went they seem to have odd bits on shelves near the till. I am working my way through a bag of round, 16 and 10mm, 150 to 200 mm lengths, that was I think £20, prices vary but they used to be priced at £10 for ferrous.

Thread: Another mystery tool
15/06/2020 20:37:56

Don’t know where the smiley came from, a copy and paste gremlin. But as for the question probably a sheet thickness gauge.

15/06/2020 20:36:21

D.R.P.a. signifies Deutsches Reichpatent angemeldet ("German Reich patent applied for".

Thread: Oil Seal Applications
15/06/2020 13:10:48

A lip seal relies on pressure to keep it on the shaft. Pressure can be supplied by a spring or internal oil pressure. Double lip seals are to keep oil in and dirt out. We used to fit two single lip seals with one on the inside the lip is on the outside and the other is fitted in reverse to keep dirty out. The problem with this is lubricating the outer lip. Too high a spring pressure can wear a soft shaft, we used to induction harden in the seal area. If you look at the Trelleborg web site you can find a lot of seal information. It can be daunting selecting a seal as there are many designs which will work in the same environment. As you say the seal you have lasted many years then so long as the shaft is ok repeat.

Thread: How to secure a Piston Rod in the Piston
13/06/2020 16:37:00

I rough the piston with a screw thread through, then ring in a stainless steel rod, threaded of course. Then chucking the rod finish the piston. Piston made from brass or phosphor bronze or stainless, ordinary steel will rust.

Thread: Machining cylinder from solid
12/06/2020 16:39:56

I machined my 3 1/2" Evening Star cylinders from solid. Roughed out the material to a rectangular block, oversize, then bored the cylinder and valve bores in one setup, leaving slightly undersize for honing later. Then using the bores to align everything finished the square faces before getting everything shaped. I even reduced the material thickness around the bores which will be covered by the cladding. It all worked out well in the end.

Thread: Tooling for a spline
06/06/2020 11:57:21

Back in the 70's I used to visit one of the Hardy Spicer factories in Birmingham. at that time the spline and threads were rolled not cut so they may have a unique form to their own standard. Just saying that some care needs to be taken to ensure that the mating parts match. Much better to buy the mating parts and modify the rest to suit rather than trying to machine a matching form for the spline.

Thread: Using Counterbores
04/06/2020 21:29:03

Cap heads have a radius under the head, the clearance hole diameter should clear this. Therefore the clearance hole is the screw diameter +twice the radius under the head + tolerance on position. Of course in the model world you just ignore all that, make the hole as tight as you want on the screw diameter and tighten the screw.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
04/06/2020 16:27:22

Lexar cards used to come with free retrieval software either on the card or could be downloaded with a code, so obviously a common occurrence. My camera cards are always formatted in camera, the other thing to watch for is maximum size of card, the older the camera the less likely to support larger capacities.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest