By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for HOWARDT

Here is a list of all the postings HOWARDT has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vertical Spindle Surface Grinder
09/11/2019 19:56:38

Try the snipping tool, or printscreen.

Thread: Drilling big holes (in tiles)
09/11/2019 17:14:19

If you already have a jig saw use a diamond blade, or use a multi-tool to cut a large rectangular ( or any other shape) hole.

Thread: 'Bristol Handles'
01/11/2019 19:46:52

That reminded me of the firm Kipp suppliers and used to be manufacturers do all types of handles for the engineering trades.

Thread: Pulley flank angles - help !
30/10/2019 17:10:54

See here Fenner Page 69

Vee angle changes on larger diameters from 34 to 38 degrees, according to the belt type. Have used these angles in the past so can vouch for them.

Thread: What is it/they called?
27/10/2019 20:24:54

I often find it easier to look at a suppliers web site to find what something is called, at least in their mind. Coming from a UK design background it is probably easier to do it that way round as I am more likely to know who makes a thing than what it is called, old age.

Thread: Better work
26/10/2019 08:40:45

As a life long draughtsman I was very rarely satisfied with the end product. During the design process you go through many iterations of the product before having to get on with producing a final design as time is money. Then as the parts are made and assembled you realise something could have been simpler to machine or assemble or been lighter. But as has been said once complete at the customers in use and it performs better than the specification required you just suck it up and think I will do better next time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some people make others just talk about it. Accept what you make if it functions as desired, then when you have assembled a few parts see if your mind still thinks the part is not acceptable. A lot of parts in any design are hidden at final assembly so looks won’t matter.

Thread: Those little screws for carbide inserts...
25/10/2019 12:17:20

I use a 1/4 inch square socket driver with T bits to suit, find it easier with old fingers. Screws are Class 12.9, wouldn’t want to risk anything less as some inserts can create quite a load when cutting.

Thread: Doncaster ME show
25/10/2019 12:08:59

Note that this is a bank holiday, I wonder if it will make a difference to the numbers. I may not go as I expect a bit more traffic with the long weekend.

Thread: Tapping drill size
17/10/2019 21:57:22

The question was asked regarding M8 coarse, ie standard thread, and my reply was regarding metric threads. Imperial particularly BSP and American pipe threads with their taper options are a different kettle of threads entirely.

17/10/2019 14:34:13

6.8 mm. Allways use diameter minus pitch. If drill cuts big you have room to manoeuvre, if it’s over tight you can open up. Smaller sizes often give trouble when being clever and drilling bigger to avoid tap breakage. I have a few heli- coil sets for just that reason.

Thread: High Paint Costs
15/10/2019 14:52:23

Recently did some painting in home and was astounded at some paint prices, although have you tried buying wallpaper. So called up market eco paint makers want you to pay for their eco holiday as well as carbon offsetting. I ended up using a diy branded paint and at half the price was very good. Considering paints are supposed to be water based these days they must be importing it from the Antarctic to justify the cost.

Thread: What grade
14/10/2019 14:44:36

C464 marine grade, will still tarnish but won’t pit.

Thread: Help and advice on a drill bit for hardened steel
14/10/2019 14:40:04

You say a hardened stud, how hard. I would think the stud would be tough not hard, as in En8 or 16. Hardening would make the thread brittle and likely to break. Usually studs can be drilled out and removed with normal HSS drills. I have never come across a hard stud since forces are in tension with no abrasive action requiring hardness.

Thread: Metrication of models
05/10/2019 21:39:01

Bruce. Metricating does not change copyright. I believe a design has to be substantially changed to create a new copyright. Consider people like Dyson etc and their copyright infringement cases.

04/10/2019 19:08:50

I am three years into making a 3 1/2 “ Evening Star, slowly. While following the book and plans with regard most dimensions, drills are metric as are reamers, taps and some material thicknesses. When I started I was going to create metric drawings and model in Fusion360 but quickly decided to mark up copies of the drawings as I went along. I’ve only bought the expansion link brackets and cross heads as gunmetal castings but needn’t have bothered as the castings are more trouble than making from scratch due to material thicknesses and out of position elements make machine to drawing near impossible. So far the rolling chassis is nearing completion.

Thread: Leadscrew material ?
02/10/2019 17:47:25

Also square thread has no compensation for wear.

Thread: Thread Size Help
27/09/2019 22:53:48

Never owned a Leica, thread from reason new to me. Camera threads

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
27/09/2019 09:42:31

It is probably a pressed in insert with a ball and spring, or was. I would press out the piece/socket you can see, get a ball that just slides into the bore of the socket. Then put a spring into the socket power fulll enough so that when you sit the ball on top you can press the ball into the socket. Now with the ball depressed punch the top with a centre punch to close up the bore to retain the ball and spring and press back in.

You can buy detents from various mechanical engineering sources such as WDS, but may not find you size.

Thread: Havenít done this for a looooong time!
27/09/2019 08:19:11

Bearing locknut is M12x1, if that helps.

Thread: Worried
26/09/2019 19:27:30

I went from imperial in mechanical engineering at college in my third year to another college for my fourth year which was metric. Somehow I still managed to be one of six out of twenty that passed at then end of year and was offered a place at university, but had to turn it down. Throughout my working life I had no problem working in either units.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Meridienne; London MES
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest