By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Connelly

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Connelly has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vfd update
02/02/2019 16:53:59

The white paste is heat sink compound. Added at manufacture to keep the chip cool by assisting heat transfer to a heat sink.

Martin C

Thread: Chester Craftsman Lathe
02/02/2019 15:48:45

In the thread milling on the craftsman lathe I put a link to the manual. Parts 278 and 279, described as gears, are drawn with different tooth profiles. They are both keyed onto a short stub shaft on the tumbler assembly.

Martin C

Thread: Cut a slot in round stock
02/02/2019 15:38:07

img_20170329_181417.jpg

This photo shows a supported and clamped overhanging workpiece which is the way to do what you wanted. A hard collet block held by hard vice jaws gives poor grip as you found. A piece of paper between the block and the moving jaw may have helped. Putting milling cutters in lathe chucks can have similar issues.

The other thing that is a problem is the lack of material at the sides of the slot. If you think of a twist drill as a twisted ribbon you can understand hiw easily it can deflect. In this case as soom as one side is weakened enough the drill will be pushed that way by the forces acting on it. A stiff stub drill or spotting drill would have helped but a 3 or 4 flute milling cutter would be stiffer so better.

Regarding plunge cutting with milling cutters even centre cutting ones do not go in as easily as a drill. One way to improve on this is to ramp the tool into the workpiece. This is easily done with CNC but is possible when manually operating a mill. It requires lateral movement of the workpiece as the tool is lowered into it. Since you needed a slot it was possible in this case.

Martin C

Edited By Martin Connelly on 02/02/2019 15:39:12

Thread: Milling on the Chester Craftsman
01/02/2019 16:21:35

Adrian, the relative with the lathe in Boston also has a small mill. If he is willing to sell the lathe it may be possible to sell both machines as a package. I will see him Sunday and ask about them. Both together for less than you were planning to pay for a new lathe should be possible. That would solve the problem of fitting a milling slide to a lathe.

Martin C

Thread: Testing for isolation
01/02/2019 15:45:48

I've got a non contact voltage indicator (Iso-Tech IVP-1) and would recommend them for anything to do with mains voltage electricity.

Martin C

Thread: Fitting a Reversing Switch to a Motor on a Myford Lathe
31/01/2019 20:16:38

No whine on any I have used.

Martin C

Thread: G-Code editor with back plotting
31/01/2019 20:14:34

I work out paths using CAD, write the code in notepad, open it in Mach3 and check it looks good before putting it on a memory stick to take to the workshop. I don't wory about optimising for speed because mostly I am doing one offs. I use Mach3 turning wizards for a lot of basic operations on the lathe, I don't find the milling wizards much use as most of my work on the mill is manual data input. It's like manual milling without the need to wind handles.

Martin C

31/01/2019 20:02:33

Hire a truck with a lift gate at the back and a wheeled engine hoist. Some cheap ratchet straps to secure it in the van. Final thing is probably a friend who will assist for a few beers.

I will find out if he is willing to sell it and if so arrange a viewing.

Martin C

Thread: Fitting a Reversing Switch to a Motor on a Myford Lathe
31/01/2019 19:56:31

A reversing motor would have more than two wires in the junction box, probably four wires. The issue of chucks unwinding as mentioned by Clive is probably a result of rapid acceleration to full speed when not using back gear speeds. Reversing when in back gear is unlikely to loosen the chuck when reversing for screw cutting. The biggest risk is selecting reverse with a high speed setup. One solution to this is to replace the motor you currently have with a VFD driven 3 phase motor. This setup allows soft starting in both forward and reverse so reduces the risk of chucks unscrewing. There are other good reasons to go 3 phase if you end up replacing the motor. Plenty of existing threads cover this.

Martin C

31/01/2019 18:44:22

Since you are in East Lincolnshire you may be interested to know that a relative in Boston has one of these lathes. Due to age and a hip repair I don't think he will be using it anymore. This machine is in excellent condition (he is an ex machinist who worked in Ben Kents, Boston). I will find out if he is willing to sell it if you are interested.

Martin C

Edited By Martin Connelly on 31/01/2019 18:45:02

31/01/2019 15:35:11

I would bet tbat this lathe is supplied with a 120/127 combination gear so cutting metric threads only requires a minor ammount of fiddling with change gears. Easy to ask Chester to be certain.

Martin C

Found the manual on line. Item 129 on pages 24 & 25 looks like a 120/127 combination gear.

craftsman-lathe-manual

Edited By Martin Connelly on 31/01/2019 15:56:19

Thread: Warco Super Major Mill
30/01/2019 22:58:31

Very similar to the Chester Super Lux so search for that as well.

Martin C

Thread: Mini Lathe Rear Tool Post
30/01/2019 18:05:36

That lump is not going to be lifted by a fly cutter so it only needs to be restrained to stop lateral movements. For ideas on low clamping look at Wixriyd and WDS web sites.

Martin C

Thread: Extracting a dowel pin from a blind hole
28/01/2019 13:16:59

Find someone who can TIG weld a washer edge on to the dowel and pull the washer to remove the dowel.

Martin C

Thread: Round indexable tips.
27/01/2019 09:54:20

They are also sharper than a lot of standard carbide inserts. Here's one being used on aluminium alloy.

youtube

Martin C

Thread: Batch turning small parts to tolerance
27/01/2019 00:47:16

My version of a spindle backstop as mentioned above is to put a rod or tube in a collet then fit a chuck over it.

Martin C

Thread: Drill chuck releasing drill bits.
22/01/2019 19:59:51

It is possible that the trigger switch is setup to short out the motor when it is released. This would act as a brake.

Martin C

Thread: Cast Iron Straight Edge
21/01/2019 18:58:00

There are a couple of scraping straight edges on ebay at the moment.

Martin C

Thread: New collets. Bankrupt now.
17/01/2019 19:14:00

Looking at the Norbar site they now have an app for calculating the result of extending the torque wrench.

Norbar apps page

Martin C

Thread: Best value parting tool for mild steel?
17/01/2019 19:07:39

Ross, the bluntness or maybe apparent bluntness of the insert may be down to the tool height setting. Having the tip only a little bit high will cause problems. This picture shows some waste from using an insert on stainless steel with a slight angle on the tool. Getting the tool correctly perpendicular results in tight coils. Power feed is pretty much essential for happy parting in work hardening material like stainless steel.

img_20160714_181532.jpg

Martin C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest