By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Connelly

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Connelly has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford super 7 Tailstock Spindle Damage
29/07/2019 17:59:09

I have cleaned one up (not on a Myford) with a reamer. Held it in the 4 jaw to get best possible concentricity of the shank and checked the tip was running true using the centre drilled hole. kept everything locked or pinched to minimise snatching and turned the chuck by hand to take off the minimum necessary to give a good surface. I was only removing raised high spots and leaving the main bulk of the spindle untouched.

Martin C

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
29/07/2019 16:58:56

Have had an F35 passing over recently but today I managed to get a few snaps.

east.jpg

northeast.jpg

northwest.jpg

west.jpg

It more or less went around where I was standing the first photo is heading east, then north east, north west then finally west. Lots of noise when it accelerated away.

Martin C

Thread: Hi from Mid Lincs
12/06/2019 20:19:55

My wife is from Helpringham.

Martin C

11/06/2019 17:57:00

Mid Lincs must be somewhere near Horncastle looking at Google Maps.

Martin C

Thread: Problem with slitting saw arrangement...
06/06/2019 18:23:54

It may help to increase the friction between the saw blade and mandrel by fitting a paper washer before putting the blade on. It will still slip if it jams but may have a little more friction than a metal to metal joint. If you have a second chuck maybe you can hold the mandrel body with it to tighten the drawbar before fitting the blade.

Martin C

Thread: Electronic Indexers - How Is Cumulative Error Avoided?
31/05/2019 14:14:31

I made a 127 tooth gear using the calculate each position method as 360 x X/127 and a stepper motor with a close coupled harmonic gearbox. It required 88.8888 steps per degree, just under 252 steps per tooth. I decided that was going to be accurate enough for my needs.

Martin C

Thread: What are these change gears for?
27/05/2019 19:18:22

It could also be used as an indexing plate for anyone who wants to cut 127 tooth gears to suit some other gear profile. Advertise it for this use as an option and you may get more interest in it.

Martin C

Thread: Harrison wiring
25/05/2019 07:37:04

A couple of things need to be known to help with answers.

Are there any covers or safety screens with switches that need to be in the safe position to enable operation?

Was it supplied by 3 phase mains at 415 line volts or a VFD at 240 line volts and what are you supplying to it?

Martin C

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
21/05/2019 20:21:59

I always use Rocol RTD, metric size minus pitch for drilling and anyrhing over 1.5 x diameter for thread depth is a waste of time.

Martin C

Thread: Work Holding For CNC Milling
14/05/2019 18:33:52

Connecting rod?

Martin C

Thread: Removing a sight glass
06/05/2019 20:38:36

Hoses Direct sell these as push in polyamide items for tanks with wall thickness of 5mm minimum. Diameter 24mm or 30mm. Really cheap so I don't imagine the Chinese lathe manufacturers would use anything different. Try tapping out from inside the gearbox with a suitable sized socket as a drift.

Martin C.

Thread: Standard dead length Crawford collets
04/05/2019 15:27:37

I have obviously forgotten about it, I'll put it down to age and time passing.

Martin C

04/05/2019 15:15:18

I think I gave a copy to Tony at lathes.co.uk Thought it would go well with his archives. That may be how you got a copy. I downloaded it and printed it off years ago but have not found it online since then.

Martin C

04/05/2019 13:01:11

Sorry about the scribbling on some pages. I didn't know at the time that it was going to be a useful historic document.

Martin C

Thread: Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners
20/04/2019 17:32:12

I have bought them for work in the past from RS or Buck and Hickman. Not necessarily the cheapest but RS always delivered next working day so suited urgent requirements.

Martin C

Thread: Backlash
20/04/2019 17:27:26

Typical method for CNC is to set up a dial indicator. Move towards the indicator until it moves a suitable amount to be sure it is off its stop and set it to read zero. This is the zero position. Reverse away from the indicator and back to zero to check zero is correctly set on the indicator, repeat as necessary.

Move forward another mm or other suitable distance to ensure the indicator moves away from zero then back to the zero position. The difference on the indicator from zero is the backlash value. If you can't enter this value into your program then calculate the number of steps to move this distance and add them to the reverse move.

Repeat the above with the backlash compensation and check the indicator returns to zero when the reverse move is made.

It is probably a good idea to reverse the direction and check backlash from the other way as well.

Martin C

Thread: Gyroscope origins
17/04/2019 08:23:45

Link?

Martin C

Thread: Telescopic bore gauges
17/04/2019 08:20:34

I agree with the two earlier posts regarding dial bore gauges. Yes they are fiddly to set up and to some extent use, it is also possible to misread them. They do however give repeatable results that do not rely on good feel. Cheap telescoping gauges can feel like they need stripping and polishing inside to improve them.

If you need to bore pockets for bearings the dial type may be a good choice for you. As also stated above it depends on a lot of factors to make the decision of what is best for your current needs. When a lot of similar sized holes are required a three point micrometer bore gauge with checking and setting ring may be useful but this tends to be for industrial quantities.

Martin C

Thread: Smart and brown lathe
15/04/2019 18:42:41

Join the two previous posts and you've got a model m that belonged to the Atomic Energy Authority.

Martin C

img_20190415_183559.jpg

Edited By Martin Connelly on 15/04/2019 18:43:15

Thread: Removing a grub screw
15/04/2019 18:33:10

If it is in a through hole then a right hand drill may catch and drive it out of the hub.

Martin C

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest