By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Farmboy

Here is a list of all the postings Farmboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pumping water up a hill
25/10/2018 21:51:44

I think the water source is a well, not a river, so it seems that solar is the only viable power source. [oops! As already pointed out by MichaelG while I was writing]

I still feel that more storage might be the answer, if there is enough rain in the wet season to fill it, with the tractor bowser as a back up.

Mike.

Edited By Farmboy on 25/10/2018 21:54:01

Thread: Nut screws washer and bolts
25/10/2018 11:47:15

'orses for courses thinking

Surely much depends on the materials you're bolting together?

I was also told it was friction related, but that only applies to plain washers. They might also spread the load over a larger area than the face of the nut on softer materials.

Almost all the nuts I encountered on agricultural machinery seem to have used spring washers, and I was told they should be replaced with new whenever the were undone . . . but I can't remember that ever happening.

Mike.

Thread: Milling/drilling spindle
25/10/2018 11:18:27

Some time ago I made a fairly heavy duty spindle using tapered roller bearings with rubber seals. All seemed well until it came to driving it. I tried a 150W grinder motor but the low starting torque would not overcome the drag even if given a helping hand. Lubricating the seal didn't help. It worked fine when driven by the lathe chuck as I machined the ER16 internal taper with the spindle running in its own bearings.

shaft and bearings.jpg

Still work in progress . . .

Mike.

Thread: Pumping water up a hill
25/10/2018 10:46:18

Any system to move water 3km with a 500m lift is going to be expensive, whether using one high pressure pump or a more practical series of smaller ones. Flow rate won't need to be be high if it's replacing a 'cart with a barrel', but that's at least 2 miles of plumbing, however it's done.

Would it be possible to store more water in the wet season? More or bigger tanks might be more cost-effective if wet season rainfall is sufficient dont know

Failing that, the water bowser sounds a better proposition; presumably the tractor would be used for other things anyway?

Mike.

Thread: Hay bales
21/10/2018 10:01:57

It's a wonder so many of us survived some of the old practices. We used to load on the move with the Field Marshall ticking over in bottom gear, which tested your loading skills as the bounce of the 5 litre single cylinder running at about 100 rpm tried to shake the load apart!

Yes, there were always a few lads ( don't remember any girls ) around the farm at hay time to 'help' smile Some were more help than others, but at least they had some healthy outdoor exercise. Sadly, there is little scope for children to get involved now, so they miss out on a lot of the fun we used to have.

Since full mechanisation farming has become quite a lonely job, where you can sometimes spend the whole day on a tractor without seeing anyone. I expect, for the younger generation, 'social meejer' has taken the place of some of the banter that went on when you worked in a team.

Mike.

20/10/2018 20:31:40
Posted by Mike Poole on 20/10/2018 19:36:31:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/10/2018 16:48:38:

Does anyone remember Allen scythes? The most lethal devices known to man!

Neil

My mother was a secretary at John Allen when they used to make the scythes. Even today a lot of farming equipment is potentially lethal, I would not like a close encounter with one of their flail type hedge cutters, it’s bad enough passing in the car.

Mike

Of course, for serious hedgecutting you want one of these:

Thread: wood turning
20/10/2018 09:06:18

Surely there must be purpose made tools/inserts for CNC wood lathes?

Of course they may use different toolposts and not fit metal lathes dont know

Thread: Hay bales
16/10/2018 16:18:06

In my grandfather's day the sheaves of corn were stooked in the field for a few days until they were dry enough to either thresh or, as NDIY says, build into a stack which was then thatched to keep the rain off. Some grain was threshed at harvest time but most was stacked and kept for threshing later in the year as the grain was needed. This was before and during WW2, but I can recall, as a teenager, driving the binder on one occasion in the early 1960s although it wasn't common practice by then; most people used a combine harvester but the grain still ended up in sacks. Those sacks usually held 4 bushels, which was 2-1/4 hundredweight of wheat crook

I think farm mechanisation generally was held back in the UK during the 1930s depression years and only really got going after war broke out.

You have reminded me of a story my dad told me: One day his father had finished harvesting a field of wheat and left it neatly stacked in the corner of the field by the end of the day. Next morning it was still neatly stacked but in the field the other side of the hedge . . . some of the local lads thought it would be a good prank to move it sheaf by sheaf overnight and re-stack it, and they even thatched it again!

Mike.

P.S. I think thatching straw is still harvested with a binder, and they grow special long-strawed varieties as modern cereals are too short.

Edited By Farmboy on 16/10/2018 16:28:26

Thread: More collet and milling tools confusion.
09/10/2018 22:41:59

My point about the cost was that you don't need to spend around £50 on an ER chuck if you have a Morse taper lathe spindle. I have bought several MT3 collets very cheaply in clearance sales from various suppliers, presumably because there's not much demand for them, and have used them successfully. I also had good results from a fly cutter on MT3.

If money is no object by all means go for the best you can get, but there is a lot you can do with a little ingenuity and minimal equipment, as ably demonstrated in Neil's earlier post.

Mike.

09/10/2018 09:11:29

One advantage of using the MT3 collets that hasn't been mentioned ( or I haven't noticed it ) is the rigidity of the set-up due to the minimal overhang. I imagine the ER chuck bolted to the spindle flange would be as good, and I intend to get one some day, but if you're on a tight budget it is one more expense. MT collets are cheaply available, probably because few people use them dont know

Thread: What has happened to fly spray?
16/09/2018 23:46:17

Back at the dawn of time we used to have a gallon can of Coopers and fill a proper fly spray pump gun with the oily yellow liquid to spray the cows before milking in summer. After a few minutes there were expiring flies all over the place. A hot day when the flies were biting could make milking time quite exciting if we didn't spray wink 2

More recently we were using a fly repellant on the cows, which worked amazingly well.

In the house, Raid has no effect whatsoever. Kybosh (sold in most garden centres around here) is the best I can get these days but it seems to be less effective on flies this year. One puff is enough to terminate a wasp though thumbs up . . . for now, anyway.

Mike.

Thread: A useful safety addition to the drill press
30/08/2018 22:50:44

Drilling thin sheet metal must be one of the most dangerous jobs on a bench drill . . . once it snags on breakthrough it becomes a rotary slasher smile o

Obviously I don't speak from personal experience . . .

Well, it was a long time ago embarrassed

Mike.

(must get one of those toggle clamps)

Edited By Farmboy on 30/08/2018 22:52:49

Thread: What a waste!
25/08/2018 22:53:05

Doesn't make much difference how it's packed when Amazon 'logistics' just dump it round the back of a random house somewhere within a quarter mile of the destination angry 2

Thread: Aluminium thread strength
18/08/2018 00:45:58

Looking at the problem from a different angle, I wonder if there's any merit in forgetting the flat bar and substituting an eye bolt through the upright? The end of the bracing tube could be cross-drilled and fit over the eye with a bolt through . . . maybe dont know

Not sure how easy it is to find suitable eye bolts though.

Mike.

15/08/2018 10:29:02

I have little experience of aluminium but even in steel drilling a 6mm hole in a bar 8mm wide would seriously weaken it, depending on the final use. If there's space I would have thought two or three 4mm would be better. And, as others have said, nut and bolt would be quicker, easier and probably stronger than tapped holes.

I certainly wouldn't try 8mm teeth 2

Mike.

Thread: Facing Error
14/08/2018 10:18:33
Posted by blowlamp on 14/08/2018 09:58:45:
Posted by Hopper on 14/08/2018 07:33:46:

Again, we need to be sure that we are clear that mounting a dial indicator on the toolpost or cross slide and then sweeping the pointer across the freshly faced surface does not give any indication whatsoever of flatness. The dial indicator is following the same path the cutting tool just took. So if the tool cut a surface with a 5mm dish in it, the dial indicator will follow the same path and show no deflection of the needle. (Providing gibs are tight, topslide is locked and no other random slop or movement is allowed.)

The straight edge test is good.

As I've pointed out a few times, this is factually incorrect.

Martin.

I suggest it would be correct only if the DTI is mounted in exactly the same position as the tool and is not run past the centre but, as you said previously, once you move the DTI beyond the centre you are measuring twice the deflection, as Dave appears to be doing in the photos in the original post. Unless, of course, the cross-slide guides are not straight, which seems unlikely dont know

Some of us were listening here at the back of the class wink 2

Mike.

Edited By Farmboy on 14/08/2018 10:43:28

Thread: Help to select and lay concrete reinforcing mesh
14/08/2018 09:21:34

Over half a century ago I spent a lot of time digging out and concreting a barn floor and a large area of yard, working alongside a farm worker who never broke into a sweat but had a phenomenal workrate I couldn't hope to match. For the 45ft x 20ft barn floor we hand-mixed with shovels; this is probably why I now suffer chronic lower back pain sad

We didn't use reinforcing mesh anywhere but we did prepare a good solid hardcore sub-base. None of this area has any signs of serious cracking despite heavy traffic, including tractors and lorries. The base preparation is the critical thing . . . my father was a civil engineer.

Mike.

P.S. I seem to remember buying cement at 3/6 ( 17.5p ) for a hundredweight bag and a 15 ton load of ballast for £1 per ton crying 2

Edited By Farmboy on 14/08/2018 09:27:28

Thread: GDPR
13/08/2018 22:58:30
Posted by roy entwistle on 13/08/2018 21:09:03:

I've just had an mail purporting to be from HM Revenue telling me to claim a tax rebate. Having never disclosed my email address to H M R I deleted it. If I've lost a tax rebate, hard luck. But I doubt it

Roy

I think you're safe, I had one too. One advantage of a proper computer over a tablet or 'phone is that when you hover the mouse pointer over the link in the email it shows the actual URL in the bottom left of the browser window. Needless to say, it was not HMRC . . .

As far as GDPR is concerned, nothing seems to have really changed. In most cases, either you agree to their terms or you don't use their web site. The only difference is that they have to make you aware of it.

Mike.

Thread: Facing Error
13/08/2018 21:51:41

Oops! blush Yes, a typo . . . nearly got away with it though smiley

If the part was working its way out, causing the concavity as Jason suggests, then Dave's latest facing cut from centre out should result in convexity, or at least flatness, and prove the case . . . but I'll be surprised if it does.

Mike.

13/08/2018 15:09:22

As an inexperienced lathe user I've followed this thread with interest, but I'm struggling to understand the concept of the workpiece rocking in the chuck such that it produces the convex face. I can't imagine how rocking could induce a consistant tapering effect on a rotating face dont know

The only ways I can think of producing a convex face are either the spindle axis or the cross-slide being misaligned ( which should result in consistency at least ), or flexing of the workpiece, tool, toolpost, topslide or cross-slide, which might be inconsistent.

Or I may have completely misunderstood the problem thinking

Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest