By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Phil H1

Here is a list of all the postings Phil H1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cowells Milling/ Z axis design
18/05/2022 19:55:35

Is a ball race strictly necessary? I would have thought that a plain, bronze washer would have been adequate?

Phil H

Thread: Fire Queen construction series
08/05/2022 13:10:44

Excellent stuff. Looking forward to this.

Thread: Myford Super 7 at SRS for only 395
06/05/2022 12:14:45

Bob,

That looks like an incredible transformation from here. How much did it cost in Scotchbrite? Serious question.... what was the cost for paint and parts etc? That is well worth knowing for others.

Phil H

Thread: Rob Roy Build/ Rally
03/05/2022 21:36:25

Rex, Thanks for the prompt answer. If yours has lasted 30 years, that is good enough for me. I'll skip the case hardening.

I can fix some of the parts. For example, the expansion links are gauge plate and were noticeably hard. I heated up to bright red and cooled as slowly as possible before drilling the various holes in them. They are both now harder than the other mild steel parts but I suspect less brittle than they were. I will leave them in that condition and use gunmetal or bronze for the die blocks rather then the suggested mild steel.

Hmm - not that far from a running chassis excluding the pumps.

Phil H

03/05/2022 20:48:39

Another question for experienced locomotive and or any other stationary engine builders please.

I have now completed most of the valve gear parts and Mr Evans suggests that the various rod ends (including their nicely reamed 1/8" diameter holes) should be case hardened.

Is this a step that I really should go through with or will the plain mild steel parts last a reasonable time without case hardening? Am I asking for trouble if I don't case harden?

Thanks,

Phil H

03/05/2022 13:34:36

Bob,

Another way of looking at this is that somebody must have used the machine before it went red with rust. So any correction to the bed and slideways might not be perfect but it will probably be better than it was.

By the way, I have noticed you are slacking a bit. When are you going to paint the lettering on the belt guards?

Phil H

Thread: Oliver Evans Beam Engine
03/05/2022 04:07:57

Dave,

I was trying to address your original snag regarding the machining of a tricky radial slot underneath the eccentric i.e., if you used rectangular pads underneath each of the parts that bolt down to the baseplate, the eccentric would be higher up and hence no need for a clever curved slot. Easier to describe with a sketch.

Phil H

03/05/2022 03:02:18

Pete,

Thanks for that explanation. I was assuming that the underside of the saddle was checked for flatness first but the rolling of a fingerprint is a good way of explaining the possible snag.

Bob, that looks like it has cleaned up very nicely. Slightly better than a boat anchor now isn't it?

Phil H

02/05/2022 15:45:13

Can somebody please help on this bit? I can see how the saddle might have worn but I am not clear why there would be a problem with it if it 'mates' with the new flattened bed (using engineers blue).

Phil H

Thread: Oliver Evans Beam Engine
02/05/2022 15:37:55

Perhaps too late maybe? Another alternative to the curved slot underneath the eccentric would have been to add some 'pads' underneath all the other parts. A simple mod if it is planned out at the start though.

Phil H

Thread: Modded 1" Minnie Progress
01/05/2022 13:19:06

Really nice work.

Thread: Reversible Marine Engine
29/04/2022 15:01:33

Really nice engine build Paul.

Its interesting that other Trojan and its look alikes have appeared recently. I tried to build Trojan without castings when I was at school. I tried again using bar stock about 12 years ago (photos in my album). I was surprised to discover that a casting set is about £100 now!!! The completed simplex, fully machined looks like it was about £3.

Phil H

Thread: Machine build - columns
08/04/2022 15:32:42

Dave,

I think the threaded inserts would be added before you pour the epoxy. Bolts or short pieces of stud could be used to keep the epoxy out of the threads.

Thread: Polishing Brass
07/04/2022 16:42:57

I am with John Haine on this subject.

Only the cheap looking, nasty, over polished, horrible clocks that they used to sell in jewellers (but with a high price tag) have a highly polished surface with all the edges completely ruined because they are rounded over.

They should be a nice finish but still look flat with beautiful clean edges.

Just my opinion. Over polishing is simply ruining all the hard work.

Phil H

06/04/2022 19:19:12

John,

Perhaps you could modify your late brothers engine and bring it along to the Rob Roy Rally day in September?

Phil H

06/04/2022 08:36:47

John,

Excellent. Thanks very much for that, you caught me just in time. I can easily make those modifications now.

Phil H

05/04/2022 16:10:44

John,

Have I got you right? I thought a sketch to clarify might be a good plan before I hack metal. Thanks very much

in advance. Phil H

Valve gear mod

05/04/2022 15:52:29

John,

Thanks very much for those tips. Exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for.

I have just (10 minutes ago) machined the short sections of angle for the expansion link but I haven't drilled the holes yet. So the first change is quite easy if I have understood correctly. Just to clarify (please), the little press fit pin in the angle is moved closer to the eccentrics (away from the valve chest) by 0.0975". Is that correct?

Again, if I have understood you correctly, reducing the length of the lifting arms is a pain (specially the slot milling) but not a real problem. A shortening of 0.1875" according to your recommendation.

That would suggest to me that on the original valve gear drawing, at the central expansion link position, the lifting link looks vertical. But with the changes, it will tilt slightly like a forward slash ..../.... because the lifting arm is shorter than the change on the expansion link.

I will sketch it and post here.

Thread: Central Heating Control
04/04/2022 19:21:13

Interesting links. Yes Mr Hancock. There are two young ladies here and the wife. At least one of them walks round in light clothing but keeps pressing the heating control. I think getting others in the house to consider an electric suit will be an uphill struggle.

Mad though isn't it? Why isn't everybody in a heated suit?

04/04/2022 18:48:38

Thanks Rex. Painfully slow though. But I now have a boiler, super heater and regulator from Bromsgrove. Just need to get it tested.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest