By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: jig boring machine
22/11/2015 10:11:29

Hi, T I hope the purchase goes well for you. Not knowing the machine one concern may be high enough spindle speeds for small milling cutters, maybe overcome with a digital inverter to speed things up. Possible cheaper options than Rota grip around, try WMT or is it WNT ? I have a friend retiring soon who may have some 30int stuff to dispose of.

Thread: Dehumidifiers
21/11/2015 20:00:26

I bought one after suffering a water leak in the house, in a big area it did not seem to work that well. In my workshop I use a fan to move the air around and no rust issues. Worst thing for rust is a bottled gas heater, worse than a hose pipe in there.

Thread: jig boring machine
21/11/2015 19:54:57

Not one I have come across. A 30 int taper to ER collet chuck would make sense. Plenty of 30 int stuff around.

Thread: BSW/BSF vs BSC
21/11/2015 19:33:16

Lucky you are not working on an early DOT. I have just done some work on parts for one. 7/16" 25 TPI anyone ?

Tracked it down to some sort of Admiltary thread.

My 1929 BSA has a mix of 26 and 20 TPI cycle thread and I use UNF for the 20 TPI if the correct cycle stuff is not available, the other parts are a mix of WHIT and BSF.

Thread: Material for pulley shaft, and bearings
20/11/2015 19:34:32

How much work has this contraption got to do ? Choice of materiel may vary if it has to do a lot of work.

Thread: useful info
20/11/2015 19:29:33

I still have my log tables and slide rules from when I started as an apprentice toolmaker 52 years ago. We where taught to remember all the formular .

Thread: Cutting through steel/iron round bar
19/11/2015 10:23:58

If you can control a hacksaw reasonably well then use "Allhard" blades. They last a lot longer than the generally available flexible ones. You will hacksaw 16mm bar without raising a sweat.

Thread: Unusual but useful workshop tools
18/11/2015 14:57:55

Blue tack and pin. When I was an apprentice over 50 years ago we used plasticine (I still do) A very accurate way of picking up a line. ega; try MSC industrial supplies for aviation snips, when on offer I bought a set of three, LH/RH and straight for under £20

Thread: what grade of stainless?
18/11/2015 09:38:47

I have made spindles for people but always in EN16T. The only time to stainless was used was on a "show" Triton and I fitted 1/4" long slugs of 304 in the ends turned and screwcut as one piece. If you must use stainless remember to lubricate on assembly to stop the galling and ruin all your work.

Thread: plastic caged roller bearings
18/11/2015 09:33:28

It may depend on the plastic. Nylon absorbs water and therefore increases in size. They should by now be stable and return to size though.

Thread: Harrison lathe oils
17/11/2015 20:42:19

Fizzy, you can most likely use automotive gearbox oil. If you do choose GL4 spec not GL5 which is known to degrade bronze in gearboxes. Lots of threads re these oils on old Land Rover forums, (one of my passions after vintage bikes).

17/11/2015 18:28:46

Any "DIN" 68 oil will do. Usually sold as a slide oil with brand names like "Slidex" It is used on Bridgeport and Hurco CNC mills and I use it on the one shot oiling of my Bridgeport turret mill. I scrounge a couple of litres when I call to the place I worked at until retirement. Avoid the model suppliers selling in little bottles, there are cheaper ways to buy it.

Thread: Advice please - 3mm plate suppliers
17/11/2015 16:11:06

I tend to beg offcuts of metal plate from a flame cutting lumsden grinding outfit I bought steel off prior to retirement.There is a fabrication place recently opened not far from me so I will give them a couple of months then knock on the door and ask if I can buy the scrap stuff. Most places will then give you small quantities.

Thread: Help to stop backlash
17/11/2015 09:45:07

Just checked the places I bookmarked. Auto motion in stock and Kingston engineering. Bothe list screws plus nuts in various materials.

17/11/2015 09:40:57

Have you googled lead screws ? Several UK companies list lead screws and nuts at very reasonable prices. I will soon be stripping my lathe to replace the cross slide screw and nuts. A length of acme or trapezoidal threaded bar a pair of nuts and some machining should see the job done. Mine will take a little longer as I intend to make a new Cross slide at the same time.

Thread: Can anyone grind some endmills?
15/11/2015 20:12:42

That is a kind offer Mark. I am far away near Lichfield. Chris.

Thread: Cutting keyway in pulley
15/11/2015 20:10:19

If you have R8 on your mill, mount the bar say 20 mm in a collet and a lathe type tool in the machine vice on the mill.. You can now turn the outer diameter to 19 mm for the desired length. Cut and face off, bore your pulley fit the bush and bore to 14 mm slot as required. I would just look at the cost of a new pulley first as it may be a cheap option.

Thread: Mill suitability and movement
14/11/2015 08:45:19

I make motorcycle parts on a 14x40 lathe and Bridgeport turret mill. I am sure you will cope with most parts on your chosen machinery. You will struggle however with daylight (table to quill) on the mill if say boring crankcases where the height of set up and tooling are restricted. A friend of mine does use a major for the same work and very rarely does he need to borrow my mill ( I do have a spacer to give increased height). The other frustration you will get on occasion is the spindle bore size on your lathe to pass fork legs etc. through. I did cope for 45 years with an old South Bend lathe similar to your Boxford. Have fun it is a great way to pass the time.

Thread: What sort of plating on a Bridgeport?
14/11/2015 08:34:16

You are right the base is steel. They are "Satin Chromed" to give the nice non glare and long lasting finish.

Thread: Can anyone grind some endmills?
13/11/2015 23:14:07

Where is the location ? I may be able to scrounge the use of a mates cutter grinder.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest