By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: which lathe
09/04/2016 13:00:32

Ajohnw,

You are correct about the budget of £3000 not being enough as I did find an ex training school Student in good condition but that was £4250 and no haggling. It did not have much tooling with it that would have put it up around £5000 by the time I had added what I wanted. Having bought my Bridgeport mill and inverters I had to walk from the student.

09/04/2016 10:02:19

Make a list of what you may possibly be doing on the machine. I mess around with old motorcycles so the ability to pass a fork stanchion through the chuck/spindle bore was essential. I had a South Bend "Heavy Ten" for 45 years then when I retired and lost the use of bigger machinery at work wanted something bigger. After fruitless searching to find a good Harrison or Colchester (my budget was around £3000) I bought a Taiwan built "Excel" lathe. These are badged under several names. It is a 14x40 size 14" diameter x 40" between centres. It is no Colchester but came with proper Dixon quick change tool post/Newall readout/Pratt 3 and 4 jaw chucks/faceplate/fixed and traveling steadies ETC. 3HP and runs off an inverter. So far it has done all I need, it screwcuts well but a bit of a faff with change wheels when swopping metric to imperial. The down side is a poor cross slide design that only has two bolts holding the top slide on and has been over tightenend and damaged the cast iron. I am making a new slide to beef things up. Take a look at an American site "Grizzly" 14x40. I paid £1000 plus the cost of delivery and it compliments my Bridgeport mill for size very well. Edit the machine is around 15 years old.

I would still prefer a "Branded" UK built machine but good ones are not easy to find. Good luck with your search.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 09/04/2016 10:04:51

Thread: Whats your favourite milling fixture?
06/04/2016 16:10:01

I do such a variation of motorcycle work that nothing stays on the table for long. Vice/rotary table/angle plate can all go on two or more times a day.

The thing I really need is a second Bridgeport to save all the setting up.

Thread: which lathe
06/04/2016 11:30:05

I run a 3HP lathe from an inerter with no problems. Student if not worn to destruction is a nice lathe just check the spindle bore size if going for an older one as some where on the small side.

Thread: Hello from Ian in Crewe
05/04/2016 18:03:57

Welcome Ian, Before you ask which lathe / mill think about what it is you wish to make on them. I need biggish machinery to cope with motorcycle parts.

Thread: Cam-Gear
05/04/2016 15:46:14

Having access to a copy milling machine I would make two plates with dowels to locate on the gear teeth so that they are both in line then copy mill from the original to the new one. I do motorcycle cams this way.

Thread: Steel quality
04/04/2016 20:43:14

Yes Sam square in section and like barley twist. I was still at school when he sold the stuff so 54/55 years ago at least.

Thread: Old brake discs
04/04/2016 19:11:17

I tend to keep the odd brake disc under the bench. They are great for making slave plates/jigs etc. With a quick skim over and a few tapped holes.

Thread: Steel quality
04/04/2016 19:07:08

I was employed in the injection mould making industry for 50 years. I n the 1960s/1970s we regularly came across poor steel with slag inclusions and cracks appearing. By the late 1970s little or no tool steel was UK made, most of what we used came from Sweden. All of this steel was clean due to the developments in processing as was the American tool steel we started buying in the 1980s. I buy steel from a known source and never have problems.

50 years ago a family friend sold Rebar for a living (I still have a tape measure with the logo on) It was sold as Square Grip Rebar and all came from Germany cheaper than the UK mills could supply it.

Thread: Mitch from Aberdeen Scotland
04/04/2016 18:48:04

Welcome along from another relative newbie. I mainly work on old pre war motorcycles and had 35 years running old Land Rovers.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2016)
03/04/2016 20:03:42

Nick, I had that happen on a Yamaha just before Christmas. Concentrates the mind when you have no front brake.....

Thread: Help needed with Colchester Anilam DRO
02/04/2016 10:15:23

Andrew, I have made a note of your link for future reference should I need them. Looking at the phone number they are only about 15 miles from me. I have a Heidenhein DRO with a lazy display on one number that will require sorting one day. The longer I am retired all my old contacts from when I was in engineering are going.

01/04/2016 11:09:34

Have you looked at the fuse on the Anilam ? Little 20mm long thing from distant memory.

Thread: Tormach Spindle adaptor and bracket for a Kress spindle for the Tormach mill.
01/04/2016 09:24:45

Once again nice work Bob, your kit makes me drool.

Thread: Tracing wires - advice needed
31/03/2016 20:29:05

John I am up in the West Midlands but the engineer I mentioned is/was Gloucester based. Not sure if he is still working as we are all getting older ! The pictures of your machine look modern compared to the ones I used.

Thread: oil
31/03/2016 09:54:03

I use neat undiluted soluable oil applied by a small acid brush, just the odd dab is all that is required. The same soluable oil diluted is applied via a washing up liquid bottle for drilling and sometimes turning aluminium. If aluminium starts to stick to the tool I use a mix of paraffin with a few drops of machine oil in it, once again applied by brush.

Thread: Tracing wires - advice needed
31/03/2016 09:45:34

John, I have not seen a Mecrode Minor but did work at one place that ran and still have early 80s Mecrode machines. I retired nearly three years ago but am due to pop in very soon to use a surface grinder for a job I am doing. I will look for a manual and the card from the guy who looked after them for us he was always helpful over the phone. The two machines there where tempremental things both would sometimes refuse to restart the dielectric pump after running for a few hours then start after a break of about 5 mins. What is your location ?

30/03/2016 22:14:46

Give us a clue to make of machine I spent half of my 50 years tool making driving EDM machines. I know a few people and may have access to a few manuals.

Thread: Total loss oiling?
29/03/2016 20:40:34

At the age/possible wear on the machine I would be tempted to try a DIN 68 slideway oil. It tends to be a little bit "Gummy" in use but is not overly thick. Try it and keep and eye (Actually a touch with your hand) on the bearings for heat.

Thread: Price of steel
28/03/2016 13:40:01

I am only about 25 miles from a good selection of stockholders some of which will cut whilst I wait. Much cheaper than some outlets but still not cheap. The size of the warehouse the cost of so much stock/saws/staff takes some covering. I usually try and get a mate to go half's on say a batch of EN24T and spend upwards of £100 a time to cut visits down. Still get stuck for some sizes. I used to work next door to a nut and bolt maker and did a lot of little jobs for them FOC I go there occasionally and ask for small quantities which are usually given to me. This won't last as the years since I retired roll by.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest