By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Curious
06/07/2019 15:25:28

Ah the widget. I worked at a toolmaking company in the 70s and worked on the mould for them. They didn't catch on straight away. I seem to recall we had to core out a hole of 0.013" diameter to allow the air into (or out of ?) the widget to make them work.

Thread: Sieg g1 power hacksaw
04/07/2019 08:22:41

I have an old "Donkey" saw, most likely pre war. I just use bits of 1" or 1 1/2" bright mild to pack the job out to even up the blade wear.

Thread: What do you use your lathe for?
03/07/2019 08:49:12

As Colin above, I use my lathe for making motorcycle parts and tooling. I also help a mate out when he is repairing ground keeping equipment for the local football club. Seem to do more bits for other peoples bikes than my own, with a lathe and Bridgeport mill you get a lot of friends.

Thread: New member
02/07/2019 19:10:56

Welcome along Kelly, I once worked on a mould tool for a plastic recorder. About 5 attempts to get the core for the inner hole to give the correct sound. Good luck with the flutes.

Thread: Spotted in Pewsey
01/07/2019 09:05:41

I go into museums and see the sort of machinery I served my apprenticeship on.

Thread: What to do,what to do.
27/06/2019 14:42:21

I would put the money towards a 5C chuck and collets. 80% of my work is in collets.

Thread: Help making Radius Turner
27/06/2019 09:13:48

British Standard Brass is 55 degree flank angle so will work well with your tap. I made a radius attachment loosely based on a design by the late Steve Bedair. I think plans are still on the web, works well and gets a lot of use. I would not get to hung up about having the correct size thread to any plans. Common sense and use what you have is my approach, if concerned about things loosening use a dab of threadlock.

Thread: Hello
26/06/2019 10:33:22

Welcome along.

Thread: Satnav
24/06/2019 15:51:32

John, you will be pleased with Waze, sometimes it even gives alerts for potholes and speed cameras. As I said before it is better the the built in car job.

Thread: Mill spindle speed
23/06/2019 09:17:28

Even with small carbide cutters I only use 2000/2500 RPM lets face it we have the time for the lighter cuts when at home and the mechanical sympathy to the machine wins.

Thread: Satnav
23/06/2019 09:12:21

Download Waze to your phone. A free app that I find better than my car built in sat nav. It will play through Bluetooth if required, I just use the headphones when on the bike. I tend to only rely on sat nav for the last few miles if in the UK I know my way around well enough.

Thread: Hardening a form tool made from Gauge Plate
14/06/2019 17:24:26

Try a bit of the remaining steel quenched in water.

Thread: Hi from Huddersfield
14/06/2019 07:27:56

Welcome along, pop some pictures up of your project. Sounds very interesting.

Thread: boxford 10 XX lathe
13/06/2019 08:29:49

I have not got a Boxford to photograph for you but welcome along.

Thread: Material storage fpr Lathe/other machines
13/06/2019 08:27:47

I spend as much time cleaning and tidying as machining. Still can't get mine looking like that.

Thread: Lubrication for open geared Metal Lathes
13/06/2019 08:23:17

That stuff looks really good, can't say I have seen it in the UK but I will now look on line. It would be useful for the primary chain on my 1920s bike. I have blocked the oil feed off to the chain and just remove the cover and spray the chain every couple of hundred miles. I use spray grease on the lathe gears but not the tac type, I like the spiders web effect.

Thread: Hi I am Mick and am very interested in the Aveling & Porter Roller
12/06/2019 08:40:18

Welcome along Mick, good luck with your new workshop. Plenty of full size engines pass my house in "The Season".

An idea of location/county is useful.

Thread: Myfords7 bed regrind
08/06/2019 15:17:46

Do a search on here for bed regrind. I used to say Slideway Services in Nuneaton but the owner has retired and the business taken over. A recent thread may come up with the answer.

Thread: Electricity Supply
08/06/2019 09:06:19

Just where will folk in towns with blocks of flats/terraced houses with double yellow lines outside charge their vehicles? I can see lots of extension leads hanging out of windows..... The whole electricity system needs upgrading, it will be a case of charge the car or cook the dinner and wash the clothes. Most (all ?) motorway service stations do not have the supply for more than a few charge points.

Thread: Need to drill a hole digital caliper
07/06/2019 22:21:39

Not a problem when I modified a calliper to use as a tailstock readout. just used a 3 flute carbide slot drill.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest