By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Keeping busy
23/03/2020 19:16:52

I have enough on going old motorcycle related work to still have plenty in three months time. Times like this I reap the benefit of stocking materiel in full bar lengths.

Thread: Outside jaws for Pratt 160mm 3 jaw chuck
19/03/2020 21:54:43

OK I've found the chuck and jaws. The chuck catalogue number is 9580??1705

Stamped on the front is T03604 Stamped on the back 589 Stamped on jaws 680

Key sizes are 18mm sliding width,7.3 from bottom of scroll teeth to slot 7,3 Slot size 7mm

Let me know if of any use.

Thread: Renovating vice screw and nut
19/03/2020 17:25:29

To keep the speed of opening and closing it will be desirable to keep close to the 6 tpi.

I would favour you bolt a block/plate on the back or even a bronze standard available lead screw nut with a flange and screw to suit. Take a look at places like Automotion Components for off the shelf parts, more precision than the machine requires but cost effective.

Thread: Outside jaws for Pratt 160mm 3 jaw chuck
17/03/2020 18:51:05

I will look for them in the workshop tomorrow and put some sizes up on here.

17/03/2020 15:39:03

Square Peg, what is you location ? I have a set here (if I look hard enough) I bought a new chuck when I could not afford a new set of standard jaws. The old chuck is still in the workshop, with all the variations on chucks you would need to try for fit.

Thread: Scheppach Compressor
17/03/2020 11:12:23

What exactly are you looking for ? I've recently purchased spares off the "Bay" Most have pictures and a few dimensions, all are cheap enough to take a punt.

Thread: Sealey Milling machine SM2502 part
16/03/2020 20:19:08

Look at WDS standard parts catalogue.

Thread: Cutting Parameters for Small Slotdrill
16/03/2020 16:48:12

It is only in recent years (last15) that I have used carbide cutters on a pantograph. Prior to that they where a bit pricey for the small companies I worked for. And yes 18,000 was about as quick as they would go. On retiring I was offered for free a Deckle "KF12" one to one /ten to one ratio machine. Space and justifying how much use it would get stopped me accepting.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
16/03/2020 14:03:10

I am a member of a motorcycle club and our next club night is cancelled, the next ones will be following suit if no change in the situation.

Thread: Cutting Parameters for Small Slotdrill
15/03/2020 21:17:20

In my working life as a toolmaker in the mould making industry I have done a lot of engraving. This included 3D type of work in the days before CNC on an Alexander GK21 Deckle clone machine. Does anyone remember the original Cadbury "Old Jamaica" chocolate bar ? I did the mould for that. Cutter was hand made 30 degrees a side D bit with a slight flat on the cutting edge. Speed unknown just as fast as the machine would go and a 3 thou step over because it was the minimum the machine would do with it's ratchet type feed engaged. For the final finishing I did check the size of flat on the cutter tip on a shadowgraph. Depth of cut around 2 to 3 thou.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 15/03/2020 21:18:48

Thread: Can anyone help me?!
14/03/2020 19:16:28

Just bumping this thread up. Claire if you are in the Midlands near Lichfield I may be able to help.

Thread: Way oil vs Chain bar oil vs motor oil
14/03/2020 09:15:27

Plus 1 for ISO 68 as way oil, my machinery is used a lot and 5 litres lasts years. I also run ISO 32 in the lathe headstock and as general oil in the oil can.

Thread: Finally got the milling machine home.
13/03/2020 12:54:40

Careful with thoughts of ballscrews. I have used machines with them fitted for manual work and do not like them. If a cutter grabs it can pull the table along having no resistance like a standard set up. Standard lengths of leadscrew are cheap enough also nuts to suit, a little machining to suit your machine and your done for life. Note to self I must do my Bridgeport Y axis.

Thread: Cheap drill bit sets
10/03/2020 09:52:25

Get your self signed up to receive the monthly offer sheet from MSC I have two of their sets by 0.10 1 to 5.9 and 6 to 10 very good prices and up to the job. I only use these "Posh" sets for accurate work, for general day to day stuff I just rummage through my boxes of used stuff.

I did buy a Guhring set once but had to grind nearly every drill to make them cut.

Thread: Old time equipment coating
09/03/2020 22:26:12

I concur it is a form of black crackle paint. I have a 10" Vertex rotary table finished in this stuff. It is a real bugger to brush swarf off.

Thread: Hello
07/03/2020 18:44:18

Welcome along Ian, your bikes are what I refer to as modern. Back years ago I had a Commando and an ES2, set up well both are good. Think about if ever you need to pass a telescopic fork leg through the bore of the headstock and that may dictate the lathe size. Some of the smaller lathes are small on headstock bore. Girder fork bikes are my interest now. Chris.

Thread: Deep hole "D" bit advice needed.
24/02/2020 21:01:45

When I worked in the mould making industry we had our own gun drill set up. Prior to getting this I sub contracted to a company in Coventry who where reasonable cost.

Thread: Wonky tables
24/02/2020 20:56:25

Furniture in my old house (1860) all wobbles to some extent due to the floor, the house used to be a horse stable which may explain it. I find the felt stick on pads a boon using two or three at a time to balance things up on the more permanently sited stuff. Cant carry em round to the café though.

Thread: Best Milling Machine Ever????
23/02/2020 19:34:29

After 50 years in toolmaking I have used a good few. most accurate and pleasurable to use was a swiss Schaublin. But for a versatile machine and one is in my workshop, A Bridgeport turret mill.

Thread: Coal being phased out
21/02/2020 18:13:52

Meanwhile power stations will be burning coal to produce our electricity. To kiln dry our wood, I just keep mine for years. It warms me many times, when cutting/splitting and stacking. Oh then I burn it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest