By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vertical milling attachment vs combo lathe/mill??
15/12/2018 09:39:39

Having the luxury of a reasonable size lathe and a Bridgeport mill I rarely mount things on the lathe cross slide. As the OP wants to do vintage motorcycle work a little thinking is required. Early this year I mounted a Velocette gearbox case to my lathe cross slide with an angle plate to be able to screwcut a thread about 2 13/16" diameter x 24 TPI. It can be done.

13/12/2018 09:17:34

Sorry Mike, Midlands based in the UK so my set up is of no use to you. Just remember when messing around with bikes, once you have a lathe and mill you get another 100 "Friends"

Thread: Sourcing
13/12/2018 09:13:21

Pop you town/county up on location. I am in the west midlands and have a good choice of suppliers willing to sell on a cash basis at right money. I tend to buy whole lengths at times for little more than some hobby suppliers want for a small quantity.

Thread: Vertical milling attachment vs combo lathe/mill??
13/12/2018 09:06:32

Mike B1, what is your general location ? Always good to go and see other members set up to help you decide.

11/12/2018 17:31:17

Further to Clive's comments re scaling down from a Bridgeport. I do a lot of vintage bike stuff, mainly pre war. I have a Bridgeport and a 14"x40" lathe with 40mm spindle bore. For me and the work I undertake this combination is ideal.

The problems come when deciding what you want for machinery and start with space and budget restrictions. Good Luck and please do let us know what you buy.

Thread: Fixing a bronze bush in wood.
07/12/2018 08:55:51

If going the JB weld route be very patient with curing time at this time of year. Put somewhere warmer after 6 or 8 hours and leave for a day.

Thread: Hi all, new member from Southampton
07/12/2018 08:52:11

Welcome along and good luck with the move from another Evans.

Thread: Myford ML7, or Colchester Bantam/Boxford model A easiest to use?
05/12/2018 09:13:22

Just to reiterate Simons post above with his term "Crash Start" I run my 3HP lathe from a static inverter so no soft start. The machine does not have a clutch so every start is vicious. One day if nothing has broken before I get round to it I will haul the lathe away from the wall and remove the motor. I will then send it away for the star point to be sorted or buy another motor and go the VFD route.

Depending on type of work you intend to do give spindle bore some thought, I had a South Bend lathe for 45 years and it could be frustrating at times.

Thread: Pattern making
05/12/2018 08:57:44

I seem to only get the need for a casting once or twice a year so stick to traditional methods. For a one off if it gets to a reasonable size I make polystyrene patterns. I think at 70 years old I would spend far to long learning how to model in 3D and program the machine but I realise the 3D printing is the future.

Thread: ML10
02/12/2018 19:36:56

Joe, before anyone can recommend a lathe we need to know what your desires are to make things. Be it small models a traction engine or car/motorcycle restoration all would give a few answers.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 02/12/2018 19:38:31

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 02/12/2018 19:39:14

Thread: New member
02/12/2018 19:32:03

Welcome to the forum and ask away with any questions.

Thread: Hello from Leicestershire
30/11/2018 20:21:12

Welcome along Dave. I am sure I have seen Oxymoron somewhere before.

Thread: Cheap carbide inserts - where's the market?
29/11/2018 09:26:45

I have tried some of the cheap inserts with mixed results so tend to stick to the branded stuff. Part boxes sold on ebay by people who used to be in the trade and are clearing their boxes come at the right money. I once did a job for someone and asked for a very modest payment, much sucking of teeth he thought it was a lot of money. So I said OK you can buy me an insert for the lathe they are £14 each and come in boxes of ten. He soon paid up !

Thread: Anyone bought a new Myford
26/11/2018 10:07:17

I have never used a Myford lathe but am in awe of the things people have done on them given the dated flimsy ? bed design and a few other things compared to more modern kit. I spent my working life in mostly high end toolrooms where even Colchester was considered downmarket kit. Now retired and buying my own machines I have a Taiwanese copy of a Harrison M300. I failed to find a decent Colchester Student 2000 at any price. My lathe is not without issues and I have made a new beefed up cross slide to get it more acceptable. What is the price range of the new Myford ? My currant lathe is in the £6/8k range so much more than the average hobby job but still a very cheap lathe. What do you intend to use the new Myford for ? It could be all the lathe you ever need.

Thread: Southbend 13" lathe.
25/11/2018 11:04:13

I had a Southbend "Heavy Ten" of 1942 vintage for 45 years. Eventually parted with it for a bigger lathe.

Boxford lathes are a copy of the Southbend so maybe a look at their spares supply may yield what you need ?

Thread: New member
24/11/2018 19:28:13

Welcome along David from another biker. My main interest is pre war stuff but anything with two wheels really.

Thread: Milling machine to cutter grinder and 4 facet jig.
21/11/2018 09:36:39

I am most impressed, looks like a lot of folk will need to increase their winter workshop time.

Thread: Do I need a hole in sintered bronze bearings
20/11/2018 09:27:19

Good decision, I would have done the same.

Thread: Hi from Australia, Pick a subject for next post
20/11/2018 09:24:04

Welcome along, mill to grinder for me but all welcome.

Thread: It's a thread Jim, but...
19/11/2018 10:00:49

Where are you based ? I could give you a bit of EN1A to try, lovely stuff to thread.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Shapiro
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest