By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sourcing materials
19/10/2018 07:43:02

Your approximate location/county would help. I use a steel stockholder about 12 miles from me, very useful.

Thread: What Material for a rear tool post
18/10/2018 21:19:50

I used an offcut from a flame cutting place, just mild steel and free. It was a pieces on the floor that I spotted when going in to order a piece.

Thread: JB cutting tools .com
18/10/2018 21:09:33

They where at Stafford classic bike show over the weekend and from Jason's post at the Midlands show as well. Sounds like they have been a bit stretched for time.

Thread: Deburing holes
18/10/2018 10:13:28

Centre drills with a 118 degree profile are available and the shallower profile may help. Work with a three square (triangle) scraper by hand is slow but can give a good result.

Thread: Turning a tapered carburator needle
16/10/2018 22:17:20

I have made several slides plus other bits for pre war Amal motorcycle carburettors but never attempted a needle.

Just how you will support the needle when turning is a problem. I think that I would set up in a 5C collet and do it in steps turn around 5/8" length at a time then bring it out some more for the next 5/8"and try to blend it in Good luck, please let us know how you get on. Do you have access to a shadograph ? If you do then you have a chance of checking them and local polishing to get two the same...….

Thread: EN1A alternative
16/10/2018 20:19:36

AJW where are you located ? my local steel stockholder lets me look in the offcut/short length rack. Prices are more than reasonable if paying cash.

Thread: Depth Guage
15/10/2018 20:30:51

I have several depth micrometers and over the last 50 years have only once bought a replacement rod. This was for a Starrett make, the price bears no relation to what you get. I suggest you will be better off buying a new depth mic. Look out for offers with the likes of MSC.

Thread: Hello and Bridgeport Mill advice needed
15/10/2018 07:30:53

When I first got my Bridgeport mill it was a bit dry on the ways. For the first couple of fills in the oil pump tank I used ISO32 oil instead of ISO 68. This seemed to get things going again.

Thread: New here
12/10/2018 07:29:44

Welcome along Robert,

Thread: Parting off - again, sorry
11/10/2018 19:03:29

I use the same parting blade from ARC with a 2mm tip. Rear mounted I can part 40/50mm EN1A (leaded) at 1100 RPM and 0.05mm per rev feed with flood coolant. Feed by hand if not using flood and still dab plenty lube on with a brush. I tend to mix a little machine oil in with the soluble coolant when brushing on.

Thread: Sustainability of under powered VFD on Initial motor starting
09/10/2018 09:00:20

My Bridgeport mill has run happily from a cheap £90 Chinese VFD for five or six years. Prior to this I tried running it from a Transwave static inverter but the mill would only run for a few minutes before tripping a contactor. The 3HP lathe still runs from the static inverter but start up is vicious and sudden with no soft start. One day I will drag the lathe from by the wall remove the motor get someone to find the star point and wire it for 240V through a VFD. Doubt I will spend more than a couple of hundred pounds so maybe I should move the job up the roundtuit list.

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
06/10/2018 09:25:43

R8 collets on offer with MSC this month at very cheap prices. Enjoy the new mill.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 06/10/2018 09:26:15

Thread: Road Run Length vs Size
06/10/2018 09:19:37

At various times of the year I get full size engines passing my house. If I hear them in time I will go and watch them pass and maybe take a picture. Living on a main road we have a "pinch point" outside the house to slow the traffic, one day I nearly collided with a motorcycle on the pavement when exiting my drive The rider was to impatient to wait for a steam engine to pass through the narrowed road.

Things may be different for you by the time the engine is built we may have considerate drivers ?

Thread: F J Edwards Folder
06/10/2018 08:51:19

What a lovely bit of kit,a good addition to any workshop. Countersunk screws sometimes yield with a good few blows with say a 1/2" diameter bar faced off square and a lump hammer to shock them followed by a centre punch to drift them round. Good luck.

Thread: Steel for machining
04/10/2018 21:52:59

Make a simple pattern from polystyrene which will be burnt out of the sand box. This is how I made my new lathe cross slide. Speak to Nigel at Coventry Castings.

Thread: hi
02/10/2018 09:09:54

Welcome along, a friend in the Derby area has recently sold a Grayson lathe. Was it to you ? He always maintained that the Grayson was better made than a Myford. I have never operated either so can not comment. Enjoy the lathe/hobby.

Thread: How much do Colchester spares cost ?
02/10/2018 07:33:27

Yup sounds as expected. Genuine Bridgeport mill parts are not far behind 600 group prices but availability is good.

I have a Taiwan built lathe about 20 years old, a similar model still sold but the distributor does not want to know about supplying parts. Fortunately I have been able to make the odd part I have needed, the last item being a cross slide.

Thread: YAN (Yet Another Newbie)
25/09/2018 07:29:22

Welcome along Ian.

Thread: Confused abut the oil?
21/09/2018 22:34:03

I ran a Colchester Triumph 2000 when at work, same sort of lathe just a bit bigger. It was happy with ISO 32 in the headstock and ISO 68 for slideways. Leaked like buggery so always had fresh oil.

Thread: Pete Bucks
15/09/2018 08:41:44

Welcome Pete, enjoy the lathe whatever you end up with.

Chris.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne Sept 5
Allendale Electronics
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
ChesterUK
Shapiro
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest