By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another bush drilling question
16/07/2018 12:16:27

I would drill it, I am a great believer in lots of nice clean oil be it for a machine or an engine.

Thread: Rear toolpost for parting tool
15/07/2018 21:12:31

I made one to take a tipped parting blade from ARC Euro. Nice solid piece of steel seems to absorb any vibration. Make one and you will never look back, parts 40mm stock at 800 rpm and power feed at 0.05mm per rev. Just have to use flood coolant if doing that though, most times hand fed and a bit of lube from a brush.

Thread: Oilite Bearing with through oil hole
15/07/2018 09:33:05

I often bore and reduce the diameter of metric bushes with sharp tooling when refurbishing some old worn imperial size parts. Also do it the other way around modifying imperial to metric. This is usually when I have turned a shaft or bored a hole to clean up wear then fitted bushes to suit the sizes. I did a lot of work on an old Dennis lawnmower for a local football club along with a lot of other ground keeping equipment. So far all equipment has lasted over 5 years of regular use maintaining the pitch. They do now get oiled though which never happened before !

Thread: Beware the dreaded GOUT
15/07/2018 09:18:49

Ron, I have a mate who suffers from gout and he really loves his ale. His old tipple of Guiness is now off the list but lager does not seem to affect him. He manages 4 pints a day and "Has a Drink" at the weekend !

Thread: Buying a lathe
12/07/2018 09:14:22

Welcome along James. The first thing you need to do is decide just what you want to make on the lathe.

I have never owned or used a Myford but know most would not be suitable for the motorcycle work I do. The bore through the headstock is to small for me but for most model makers the lathe is fine. Just be aware there are a lot of very worn Myfords out there.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
09/07/2018 07:29:43

I will be over to Northern Ireland in a week or two for the races at Williams home turf in Armoy, staying on for the Ulster Grand Prix. RIP William Dunlop, we will be thinking of you.

Thread: Small thin hand files
08/07/2018 20:11:04

Do a search for narrow pillar file.

Thread: Hi from Worcester
07/07/2018 21:38:49

Welcome along Will. What machinery is in your shed ?

Thread: painting Galvanised Steel
07/07/2018 09:11:23

Mordant solution is sometimes called Mordant "T" wash. Depends on where in the country you are. I have painted galvanised Land Rover chassis after using the wash. Sold the last Land Rover now but all the time I kept it the paint stayed on.

Thread: Hello from North London
05/07/2018 09:35:14

Welcome along Nick. I spent my working life in or around the engineering shops of the Black Country.

Thread: Valve guides
03/07/2018 21:45:51

As an alternative to phos bronze look at "Colisbro" a berrilium copper substitute.

As the original poster has the cast iron it will last a long time, not many old bikes do big miles these days.

Thread: accuracy of silver steel
03/07/2018 09:13:10

Linier shafting from a bearing supplier may suit your needs.

Thread: Good Old Handbook Suggestions...?
03/07/2018 07:44:10

See if you can hunt down a copy of "Fowlers" machinists book. Smaller and easier to look through than Machinery Handbook. I use mine (an early 1933 copy) often. It has all the things like sizes of Whitworth hexagons and across flats/corners. Weight of steel etc. A good section that is understandable about Trigonometry. I think it was published up until the mid 1960s.

Thread: Amelia Earhart
02/07/2018 20:06:53

I believe the VC10 was the last commercial aircraft to carry a sextant. The had an astrodome ? in the cockpit.

Going off topic a lovely flypast by a Spitfire over the National Memorial Arboretum yesterday.

Thread: New member
01/07/2018 09:16:22

Welcome along Steve.

Thread: Holding large milling cutters in an R8 spindle
30/06/2018 17:38:27

ER 40 is most likely the best option. I use a Clarkson chuck for my 1" shank stuff on the R8 equipped Bridgeport, downside is that with threaded shanks you cant easily get that extra 1/4" reach without turning up a centred spacer to fudge the job. ER 40 are cheap now so decision is easy.

Thread: Can you recommend a small chuck for centre drills?
30/06/2018 09:58:58

I have a 1/4" capacity chuck that has never been abused, for small centre drills. I only use it if the job requires a centre, all other spotting work is done with a "Spotting Drill" They last for years, are easily regrindable and are far better than using a centre drill. I was taught 55 years ago when I started my toolmaking apprenticeship to shorten the lead point of centre drills to prevent breakage. I still do it to this day.

Thread: Filing Cast Iron
28/06/2018 08:45:13

What "Cut" is your file ? I use "O" cut for those sort of jobs.

Thread: Mounting stock. 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck and fixed steady use.
24/06/2018 20:30:16

Best to throw the bolt in the scrap bin or a box of useful for another job stuff. If you have a steel stockholder nearby buy a bit of EN1A to play around with. My local (12 miles away) stockholder has an offcuts/short bar rack and is very cheap for a cash sale.

Thread: Greetings from Brum
23/06/2018 08:35:33

Welcome along Lukas, I was born in Worcestershire but consider myself a Brummie having lived there most of my life. Now in Staffordshire but not really far from Brum. As BDH says the Midlands exhibition is worth a visit.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
ChesterUK
Shapiro
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition