By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery hand-tool 'Prescot'
20/08/2018 10:01:23

Chain link remover/riveter ?

Thread: Restoring a steel cam lobe
19/08/2018 10:14:59

Tim, my first ever car was a 1929 Leaf. At 17 I soon got fed up with the tinkering and sold it on for £75. The stupidity of a youth !

18/08/2018 09:24:21

I hope this isn't hijacking the thread but I have a question re steel for cams. I am soon going to be making a pair of cams for a 1930s bike and was going to use EN32 and case harden. Any other or better suggestions ? I have chosen the EN32 because I can buy a gear blank in that materiel.

Thread: Reverse engineering
17/08/2018 17:19:33

A lot of early carburettors where to the manufactures own specification. A bit like Douglas motorcycles using 25 TPI instead of 26 TPI cycle thread. Take your best guess from measurement and cut a bit of aluminium or EN1A and try it on the carburettor.

Thread: Restoring a steel cam lobe
17/08/2018 17:13:41

I have had motorcycle cams done by. Newman Cams in I believe Farnborough ? Worth a google ? They did a good job on my 1929 BSA cams. Don't expect them back in a couple of days though.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 17/08/2018 17:14:16

Thread: Facing Error
14/08/2018 07:35:06

I have one of those insert holders like the one SOD used to face the item. I only use it as a chamfering tool because the tip moves when trying to turn with it. My tool holder and tips are Sandvik so not a cheap set up of poor quality.

Thread: Help needed with Lancer Boss forklift and Borg Warner T12 trans
28/07/2018 15:24:50

As you have already changed the oil could it be worth adding an oil systems cleaner ? these are available from good industrial oil distributors. It may just free things up, if not it is a lot of work but still cheaper than a second hand truck.

Thread: Increasing cost of entry into model engineering
27/07/2018 07:24:03

A great value has to be put on the shear pleasure of owning and using the equipment and the satisfaction of making/repairing something. I tend to add stuff to my workshop on a regular basis for very little money a full set of 5C collets bought one or two at a time are priceless for the convenience, some only cost £5 or less and are more than good enough for my use.

Thread: Model Engineering threads
26/07/2018 22:08:56

Most of this info is on the net. Have you tried Google ?

Thread: Drain Plug
26/07/2018 18:41:22

After years of servicing my own vehicles and coming across many damaged drain plugs I always fit a new plug and washer. It is part of the spec for some Ford and Land Rover.

Try Beal Automotive web site for all workshop consumables.

Thread: Gears
25/07/2018 22:36:23

Have a look at "Duval Gears" website or catalogue. You may be able to buy a couple of standard moulded gears and fix them together ?

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 25/07/2018 22:36:52

Thread: Hot Weather and Wall Fastenings
25/07/2018 17:48:33

I think this prolonged heat is doing a lot of damage. Two out of six "Velux" roof windows in my house have cracked glass. The house is old (1860) but the windows where fitted forty years ago and have never given any trouble.

Thread: EN24T or P20 steel - anvil material
24/07/2018 23:10:08

Richard, the flame hardening I mentioned with P20 is just heat locally to red head or weld the steel and the surface hardness is like glass. We used to use the process to stop edge wear on some moulds. P20 responds well to nitriding giving good core strength and wear resistance on the surface.

Thread: Increasing cost of entry into model engineering
24/07/2018 16:34:39

When you look at what you get for your money these machines are still cheap. Without these imports there would be far fewer enjoying the hobby.

Thread: New Member
24/07/2018 07:24:41

Welcome along Peter, hope you get the Bantam sorted.

Thread: EN24T or P20 steel - anvil material
23/07/2018 19:32:55

P20 is usually supplied around 290/330 Brinell. Flame hardens to 60RC locally with good core strength.

Used a lot in the plastic injection mould game. Check if it is werkstoff 2311 or 2312. the2312 spec has added sulphur to ease machining but ok for your use.

Thread: New member
21/07/2018 18:51:53

Welcome along.

Thread: Reducing shank diameter on a reamer.
21/07/2018 08:41:58

Sounds like a good result Ron, a case of overthinking the job when it is best to just do it. I have reduced many reamer shanks to make crude "Line Reamers" out of morse taper shank machine reamers. I usually hold on the reamer cutting blades in a 5C collet and a centre in the other end. For things like a little end bush on an engine (wrist pin for our over the pond readers) I use an expanding reamer.

Thread: Rear toolpost for parting tool
20/07/2018 16:33:26

One of the reasons I made a new cross slide for my lathe (a 14"x40" Taiwanese copy of a Harrison M300) was to add tee slots for a rear tool post as well as the ability to bolt an angle plate or casting on there.

Thread: Paragon Paint's Ferrozinc rust treatment
19/07/2018 09:47:05

I have not tried the Parragon paint but have good results from "Tractol" available from agricultural merchants. Seems to work well on farm equipment and machinery. Oh, welcome to the forum.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition