By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Turning over a new Leaf
25/03/2019 19:50:44

Welcome along John, enjoy your new found interest and ask as many questions as you like.

Thread: Hello from near Pershore Worcs...
23/03/2019 09:31:17

Welcome along Henry, from another "Petrolhead". It is bikes for me though.

Thread: Cap head screws
21/03/2019 19:16:16

Always try and buy cap head screws with the "DIN 12.9" spec to ensure the quality. No guarantee but should be better.

Thread: What is a good quality lathe paint
20/03/2019 07:49:46

Stueee, I dream of owning a DSG

Back to original post. Plus 1 for Tractol paint.

Thread: Recommended paint for a FLB redwood external door?
20/03/2019 07:44:32

When we used to keep a holiday house over in Ireland I fitted a new back door and used Sadolin or Sikkens ? spelling ? can't remember which as both are similar. 15 years on the door still looks good when we visit the area and I doubt the new owner has treated the door.

Thread: Heavy Machine Removals - any suggestions?
19/03/2019 12:36:43

Wow a mention of Charles Russell. Used him a lot in the late 90s collecting EDM Spark erosion machines. Good to see they are still around.

Thread: R8 instead of MT3
19/03/2019 07:21:46

Another vote for R8 (well it would be from a Bridgeport user)

Thread: 1/2" x22tpi tap?
18/03/2019 20:14:16

I have a few oddball taps with non standard pitches, from memory one is marked up as an Admiralty spec.

Thread: Steel identification
18/03/2019 08:43:21

Reading this post is another reason for putting an approximate location on your profile. There may be a local member willing to let you have whatever it is you need. I keep a lot of material in stock, all marked up when it arrives either by stamping of with a steel marking paint pen.

Thread: Dial indicator probe threads
16/03/2019 19:14:50

No standardisation, I have got away with using a "Near Enough" BA thread when making mine and not having any small metric dies. I have several dial indicators and all are different threads.

Thread: Hi Everyone
12/03/2019 07:25:28

Welcome along Betty, I look forward to reading your posts.

Thread: If starting again, what would you buy with a budget of 5k?
10/03/2019 07:56:26

Before that question can be answered please give us a clue on what you want to do or make. I do not make models as my interest lies in old motorcycles which dictates size/type of machinery. Also what space have you got to set up your workshop ? £5k should give you a nice set up, be patient in finding machines and enjoy the setting up of your shop. If you are near the Lichfield area your welcome to see mine.

Thread: Castings
09/03/2019 16:02:28

I get a few castings done mainly for my old motorcycles. A couple of years ago I made a new cross slide for my lathe. This was just a simple polystyrene pattern burnt out of the sandbox prior to pouring the iron and ideal for a one off. Most times though it is simple wooden patterns, just make sure you have around 3 degrees of draft taper to get them out of the sand. Good foundries here in the West Midlands for iron and aluminium.

Thread: Lathe bed regrinding
07/03/2019 18:27:48

Not used them myself but Slideway Services ? have been mentioned before. I believe they are Nuneaton based in the West Midlands.

Thread: Jones and Shipman 540 Dripping
07/03/2019 18:24:21

I used 540 and 1400 J&S machines for 50 years, they all leaked a bit even when new.

Thread: EN1a vs EN3 steel
07/03/2019 09:29:25

Duncan, I have a good relationship with a local (13 miles away) steel stockholder who will let me look on the racks for short lengths and pay cash. I regularly come away with say a 3 foot length of 30 or 40mm diameter bar for a fiver. Last visit yielded a complete bar of 10 foot/12 foot 1/2" EN16T for £10 In the past they have cut big stuff for me at reasonable cost. Where in the country are you based ? Just looked you are in Cheshire so a bit away from the West Midlands where I am based.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 07/03/2019 09:31:36

Thread: Laser Cutting Costs
06/03/2019 21:23:53

Paul, Try Nathan at NRS Laser. I will sort out his card and number next time I am in the workshop. Chris.

Thread: EN1a vs EN3 steel
06/03/2019 10:19:47

Adrian, where are you based ? Here in the West Midlands we have a good choice of suppliers most of which sell small quantities at good prices. I use a lot of EN1A but tend to buy the complete bar at least up to 1 1/2"/40mm

Thread: Weight of Excel Die Filer
02/03/2019 17:22:01

Colin, if you need a lift I am only just up the road to you. Chris.

Thread: Workshop - indoors or outdoors
27/02/2019 08:57:40

My house built in 1860 suffers damp , now mainly cured with damp proof substance injected in to brickwork and waterproof rendering on the internal walls. My Daughters house of similar age has a large cellar and until a few years ago remained dryish but always fusty and slightly damp. 10 years ago local land was developed and the cellar now floods heavily, so much that a pump has been installed rendering the cellar unuseable.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest