By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TTFN
19/07/2019 08:42:36

I have been away on holiday so have missed all the posts over the last week. Andrew I respect your decision and will miss your input. I to use large machinery for my motorcycle work and being a retired toolmaker have some knowledge to pass on. Your leaving will be the forum's loss.

Thread: Different ways of boring a hole
14/07/2019 11:10:13
Posted by fizzy on 14/07/2019 11:03:25:

I avoid boring with the mill as the feed (assuming vertical mill) has to be applied by hand. In the lathe the feed rate is taken care of by the machine making the process controlled.

Not on something like my Bridgeport with a choice of three feed rates per rev.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
12/07/2019 09:59:10

Ron, do not worry about the age of your machine. I have an Excel branded 14"x40" lathe made in Taiwan in 1996.

Second hand when I bought it and has done a lot of work over the last 8 years in my ownership. No accuracy problems but I did have to make a new cross slide, partly due to wear mainly due to abuse by former owner. I wanted to beef it up and add tee slots so a worthwhile mod.

Thread: Forging brass; how easy would it be?
10/07/2019 17:13:44

Andrew, I have looked at my stock and have nothing over 2" for you. The 2" piece I found is about 3 1/2" long and has still got the price on in felt pen. £3 I usually pick up useful bits and bobs from the bike shows. Chris.

10/07/2019 08:36:27

Life's to short and the gas will cost near as much as an offcut. I would just buy a piece. I often see small offcuts at the motorcycle autojumbles and shows, I will check my stock I may even have a piece, where are you ?

Thread: Hello from Belgium
10/07/2019 08:29:53

Welcome along Julian, there is a diverse range of interests and knowledge on here.

Thread: Lack of Quill on Milling Machine
08/07/2019 08:09:28

Plus 1 for David George's comment. "Get a Bridgeport" if you have the room and budget. From a Bridgeport user.....

07/07/2019 10:41:20

I have used a variety of mills over the years and always found ones without a quill a PITA.

Thread: In need of a steel ring 132mm dia
07/07/2019 10:29:58

I would look at laser or flame cutting a blank. Where are you ? plenty of places here in the Midlands at good prices.

Thread: Curious
06/07/2019 15:25:28

Ah the widget. I worked at a toolmaking company in the 70s and worked on the mould for them. They didn't catch on straight away. I seem to recall we had to core out a hole of 0.013" diameter to allow the air into (or out of ?) the widget to make them work.

Thread: Sieg g1 power hacksaw
04/07/2019 08:22:41

I have an old "Donkey" saw, most likely pre war. I just use bits of 1" or 1 1/2" bright mild to pack the job out to even up the blade wear.

Thread: What do you use your lathe for?
03/07/2019 08:49:12

As Colin above, I use my lathe for making motorcycle parts and tooling. I also help a mate out when he is repairing ground keeping equipment for the local football club. Seem to do more bits for other peoples bikes than my own, with a lathe and Bridgeport mill you get a lot of friends.

Thread: New member
02/07/2019 19:10:56

Welcome along Kelly, I once worked on a mould tool for a plastic recorder. About 5 attempts to get the core for the inner hole to give the correct sound. Good luck with the flutes.

Thread: Spotted in Pewsey
01/07/2019 09:05:41

I go into museums and see the sort of machinery I served my apprenticeship on.

Thread: What to do,what to do.
27/06/2019 14:42:21

I would put the money towards a 5C chuck and collets. 80% of my work is in collets.

Thread: Help making Radius Turner
27/06/2019 09:13:48

British Standard Brass is 55 degree flank angle so will work well with your tap. I made a radius attachment loosely based on a design by the late Steve Bedair. I think plans are still on the web, works well and gets a lot of use. I would not get to hung up about having the correct size thread to any plans. Common sense and use what you have is my approach, if concerned about things loosening use a dab of threadlock.

Thread: Hello
26/06/2019 10:33:22

Welcome along.

Thread: Satnav
24/06/2019 15:51:32

John, you will be pleased with Waze, sometimes it even gives alerts for potholes and speed cameras. As I said before it is better the the built in car job.

Thread: Mill spindle speed
23/06/2019 09:17:28

Even with small carbide cutters I only use 2000/2500 RPM lets face it we have the time for the lighter cuts when at home and the mechanical sympathy to the machine wins.

Thread: Satnav
23/06/2019 09:12:21

Download Waze to your phone. A free app that I find better than my car built in sat nav. It will play through Bluetooth if required, I just use the headphones when on the bike. I tend to only rely on sat nav for the last few miles if in the UK I know my way around well enough.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest