By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: EN40 nitrided repair
15/09/2019 19:40:15

Depth of nitriding will depend on how long it was done for so may only be 0.008"/0.0012" deep.

Speak to your heat treater who did the process it is possible to reverse it back to where you started at the risk of a little distortion. I have had this done with "P20" (Din 2311/2312)

Thread: Engraving
09/09/2019 08:39:46

Can you do the division lines yourself with a simple pointed tool either on the lathe or mill ? This would reduce the cost. Some engravers up here in the Midlands but getting fewer as the industry declines. Diegrave in Walsall come to mind as one still going

Thread: Just a small problem
01/09/2019 10:10:12

Is there enough metal around the area to go even bigger? Drill/tap and plug off using a dab of studlock to hold the threaded plug in place then redrill to suit 7BA? Remachine the plugs flat before redrilling.

Thread: Binding leadscrew.
31/08/2019 11:42:33

Reman, welcome along to the forum. My take is to keep life simple and I would just shim it until it works well then leave well alone.

Thread: 5C Collet stop/centre
29/08/2019 21:33:22

Only my newer 5C collets have the internal thread for a stop. Most of mine came with a long departed South Bend lathe from 1942. I have replaced a few and added some metric and hexagonal ones but the rest are still good. Nice work on the stop, I think the standard stop set up is 3/8 unf.

Thread: Velocette
18/08/2019 15:13:54

Graham, thanks for the reply. Martin Bratby is based not to far from me so I will try him first.

I have not fitted circlips to a piston for years, preferring to use aluminium or Teflon/glass filled ptfe type buttons. From that you may well tell I am a pre war BSA man. I am doing some bits for a friend with a Velo and he wants me fit wire clips as original.

Chris.

18/08/2019 09:13:21

Graham, in your Velo tatt box would you have a 3/4" x 0.040" wire circlip with "ears" for a KTT gudgeon pin ? or know where I can get one ? Most suppliers now just sell snap rings. Good luck with the gear cutting. Chris.

Thread: Hi from Devon
17/08/2019 09:54:06

Welcome along Simon,I have a 1929 BSA Sloper and a 1932 BSA Sloper to play with plus a Yamaha if I want to go anywhere...… Enjoy the forum.

Thread: Velocette
16/08/2019 16:04:12

Graham, please let us know how you get on. I have a bit of a collection of knackered tufnol gears.....

Thread: Digital calipers made in same factory?
15/08/2019 09:05:12

I have said before on digital calliper posts that I use Aldi ones as every day tools. Every bit as accurate and smooth as my Mitutoyo and SPI branded ones. I butchered an Aldi 6" one to make a readout for the lathe tailstock around 18 months ago, still running on its original battery. The posh ones do come out of the box for some jobs but by the very nature of design are not really that accurate if you are chasing precision. Most of my jobs are only to a couple of thou so a calliper does the job and at £8 it does not matter if it is dropped.

Thread: RENAULT DAUPHINE
01/08/2019 08:59:08

I bought a rusty one for £3 to rob the tufnol timing gear from to put in my Renault 4. The rest was scrapped.

Thread: Searching for an Off-The-Shelf, Light-Duty, Rack & Pinion
31/07/2019 09:17:19

HPC are my go to, also look at Duval Gears. I think your 6/8mm square bar is a dream that will be flexible there will be no strength or any depth for the tooth form. Start thinking around 15x20mm.

Thread: Little experience so advise needed
29/07/2019 16:38:56

Chris, where in the world are you based ? for practise turning you won't go far wrong with EN1A. Then buy your "Blue Pivot Steel" if you are close to Lichfield I can give you some bits to play around with.

Chris.

Thread: Laser cutting service
29/07/2019 16:34:25

Not sure where you are based but in the Midlands I use NRS laser in Tamworth. Good service and very reasonable prices. You do need to send him a DXF file though. Speak to Nathan if you use them.

Chris.

Thread: TTFN
19/07/2019 08:42:36

I have been away on holiday so have missed all the posts over the last week. Andrew I respect your decision and will miss your input. I to use large machinery for my motorcycle work and being a retired toolmaker have some knowledge to pass on. Your leaving will be the forum's loss.

Thread: Different ways of boring a hole
14/07/2019 11:10:13
Posted by fizzy on 14/07/2019 11:03:25:

I avoid boring with the mill as the feed (assuming vertical mill) has to be applied by hand. In the lathe the feed rate is taken care of by the machine making the process controlled.

Not on something like my Bridgeport with a choice of three feed rates per rev.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
12/07/2019 09:59:10

Ron, do not worry about the age of your machine. I have an Excel branded 14"x40" lathe made in Taiwan in 1996.

Second hand when I bought it and has done a lot of work over the last 8 years in my ownership. No accuracy problems but I did have to make a new cross slide, partly due to wear mainly due to abuse by former owner. I wanted to beef it up and add tee slots so a worthwhile mod.

Thread: Forging brass; how easy would it be?
10/07/2019 17:13:44

Andrew, I have looked at my stock and have nothing over 2" for you. The 2" piece I found is about 3 1/2" long and has still got the price on in felt pen. £3 I usually pick up useful bits and bobs from the bike shows. Chris.

10/07/2019 08:36:27

Life's to short and the gas will cost near as much as an offcut. I would just buy a piece. I often see small offcuts at the motorcycle autojumbles and shows, I will check my stock I may even have a piece, where are you ?

Thread: Hello from Belgium
10/07/2019 08:29:53

Welcome along Julian, there is a diverse range of interests and knowledge on here.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest